Wait a second - I thought you had setup your Z, at least at one time, with an email syncing protocol like EAS or IMAP. Did I misremember that?
    Zimbra does have support for both EAS and IMAP, are you saying Shaw is running Zimbra but limiting it to POP retrieval? That's kind of bizarre. They must be stingy about disk space.
    Shaw's email service is Zimbra, limited to POP for desktop and laptop clients. Mobile devices such as iThings, BlackBerrys, etc... are directed to the webmail server which is their ActiveSync server. They have not enabled IMAP access for desktop clients nor have they enabled the Zimbra connector for Outlook.
    09-25-13 07:09 PM
    Ah, life must be very simple in that bubble you are in over there.
    Some things are pretty simple.

Pot, there is a kettle calling you.
    Yes, can you hear it? I suppose it is unbecoming to respond the way you do, especially since you aren't aware enough to perceive that you're doing it

Who is making the claim here that BlackBerry is or intends to be a "Android in catch-up mode"? You're making things up.
    I said that. Sorry if that wasn't obvious. But the fact is, Blackberry has been trying to play catch up to everyone else for the past 2-3 years -- a strategy that might have allowed them to hold ground 6 years ago, but is too little too late today. The fact that their year over year handset sales have dropped by more than 50%, and that most of sales they did make in the last quarter were of models using the old OS should be a pretty clear indicator.

The main point, which you ignore, is that differentiation, and understanding why people use the features they do are the ways to succeed. Being a lesser copy of another product at the same price is not going to win the day for any company.

Obviously we all have different conceptions about what a "meaningful number" is.
    Indeed. "Meaningful" is a number big enough to survive and grow from. Blackberry, with the current strategy, no longer has meaningful numbers, which is why Watsa is buying Blackberry for a firesale price and taking the company private. I would too if I had $4.7B lying around -- it's still a good buy if you know what to do with it, but a losing proposition if you don't.
    09-27-13 09:32 AM
    I don't know about you guys but when I delete a email on my Q10 it never deletes on my web email (Yahoo, Gmail & Hotmail)! I want it to delete on my mail inbox but won't. So i have the opposite problem you guys have!
    10-02-13 10:04 PM
    I don't know about you guys but when I delete a email on my Q10 it never deletes on my web email (Yahoo, Gmail & Hotmail)! I want it to delete on my mail inbox but won't. So i have the opposite problem you guys have!

That is usually a service configuration issue, at least with Gmail, which is highly configurable about how it handles folders, deleting and purging.

I use all of those services on my main Z10 and do not recall having that problem, personally.
    10-03-13 01:22 AM
    Hello To All Z Addicts like myself.. First I want to say Thanks to all of us, who share and CB for allowing us to exchange our experiences with making a Better Z / BB experience.. Thanks!
    Now I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, however I do want to share a resolve and workaround, with having Emails when being deleted from Z10, simultaneous on Server. I have read many Z owners having this problem of emails when being trashed from the Z , they are also being removed from their service provider. I have 3 Z's, one Z with Gmail Only (note that Gmail Acct. never deletes the server email, even thou I delete them on Z) this turned a light bulb on for me.. here's why. On my Second Z, every time I would delete an email, even if I do not open it or if I do on the Z, when deleted it is deleted on the Server, (note these are only yahoo/att.net email accounts, two of them.. On my Third Z, I have four email accounts. Two yahoo/att.net accounts, One Gmail, and One Yahoo. (Note on this 3rd Z, it never deletes the emails on the Server, only on the Z itself.) This got me to do some research and testing. Comparing the 3 Z's.. Here's what I discovered:
    A. Z # 1 Gmail only, No Brainer never deletes on server as it is set as "DEFAULT" email account on the Z
    B. Z # 2 Has two att.net accounts, always deletes on server when trashed on Z, one of the yahoo/att.net emails is set as "Default no choice either or since same provider
    C. Z # 3 Has Four Accounts, NEVER deletes on Server when Trashed on Z, BUT the DEFAULT is set to "GMAIL
    So I changed the #2 Z Email Default Account to GMAIL and Now the EMAILS are NO LONGER being Removed from Server and holds true for all Four Accounts on #3 and now for the two accounts on the #2 Z

Not sure if this is a fix or work around but try it.. Change your DEFAULT Email to GMAIL account.. If you do not have a Gmail Account Create one.. This is What I Did on the #2 Z. I created a GMail account on Google. Then Added it to my #2 Z and Set it as DEFAULT Account.. This Solved the Issue for Me on Emails being removed from Server.. Let me know how it worked for you. It works for me.

Ps. To change your Email Account to "Default" as Gmail , do the following..
    Go To : Settings,
    Select ; Accounts -(Set up Emails,contacts calendar)
    There you will see a list of your Email accounts that you have set up or you can add an Account. Look at the bottom, If you Already have a GMAIL account SELECT - "Set Defaults", if you do not, first Create Add New Gmail Account, OK after selecting Set Defaults, when that opens and it will spin for a moment.. touch and select GMAIL account as default.. Then Close Setting.. Your Done.. This will now allow your emails to stay on Server with the other accounts.. and will not change how your emails have been coming and going. It just keeps those deleted emails on the Z from being deleted on the server..
    This is what I have experienced. And has worked for me.. I will give you this disclaimer, " try it at your own risk" I have tested this on both Z's several times and has proven Positive for me..
    Thanks for letting me share this with you.. Go! Z Go Blackberry!
    10-03-13 11:49 AM
    Hello To All Z Addicts like myself.. First I want to say Thanks to all of us, who share and CB for allowing us to exchange our experiences with making a Better Z / BB experience.. Thanks!
    Now I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, however I do want to share a resolve and workaround, with having Emails when being deleted from Z10, simultaneous on Server. I have read many Z owners having this problem of emails when being trashed from the Z , they are also being removed from their service provider. I have 3 Z's, one Z with Gmail Only (note that Gmail Acct. never deletes the server email, even thou I delete them on Z) this turned a light bulb on for me.. here's why. On my Second Z, every time I would delete an email, even if I do not open it or if I do on the Z, when deleted it is deleted on the Server, (note these are only yahoo/att.net email accounts, two of them.. On my Third Z, I have four email accounts. Two yahoo/att.net accounts, One Gmail, and One Yahoo. (Note on this 3rd Z, it never deletes the emails on the Server, only on the Z itself.) This got me to do some research and testing. Comparing the 3 Z's.. Here's what I discovered:
    A. Z # 1 Gmail only, No Brainer never deletes on server as it is set as "DEFAULT" email account on the Z
    B. Z # 2 Has two att.net accounts, always deletes on server when trashed on Z, one of the yahoo/att.net emails is set as "Default no choice either or since same provider
    C. Z # 3 Has Four Accounts, NEVER deletes on Server when Trashed on Z, BUT the DEFAULT is set to "GMAIL
    So I changed the #2 Z Email Default Account to GMAIL and Now the EMAILS are NO LONGER being Removed from Server and holds true for all Four Accounts on #3 and now for the two accounts on the #2 Z

Not sure if this is a fix or work around but try it.. Change your DEFAULT Email to GMAIL account.. If you do not have a Gmail Account Create one.. This is What I Did on the #2 Z. I created a GMail account on Google. Then Added it to my #2 Z and Set it as DEFAULT Account.. This Solved the Issue for Me on Emails being removed from Server.. Let me know how it worked for you. It works for me.

Ps. To change your Email Account to "Default" as Gmail , do the following..
    Go To : Settings,
    Select ; Accounts -(Set up Emails,contacts calendar)
    There you will see a list of your Email accounts that you have set up or you can add an Account. Look at the bottom, If you Already have a GMAIL account SELECT - "Set Defaults", if you do not, first Create Add New Gmail Account, OK after selecting Set Defaults, when that opens and it will spin for a moment.. touch and select GMAIL account as default.. Then Close Setting.. Your Done.. This will now allow your emails to stay on Server with the other accounts.. and will not change how your emails have been coming and going. It just keeps those deleted emails on the Z from being deleted on the server..
    This is what I have experienced. And has worked for me.. I will give you this disclaimer, " try it at your own risk" I have tested this on both Z's several times and has proven Positive for me..
    Thanks for letting me share this with you.. Go! Z Go Blackberry!
    10-03-13 02:39 PM
    Playing with Outlook 2013 (Herein referred to as "Outlook" ) and Outlook.com (Herein referred to as "Hotmail") (Thanks, Microsoft, for screwing up all the names) to see if it will work for me.

Outlook is set up to access Hotmail using EAS. Messages sync/download whatever you want to call it just fine.

I applied a message rule in Outlook on a message sitting in the Inbox. I had Outlook move the email to the folder I just created. Sure enough, the message matching the criteria was moved.

But the rule doesn't copy to Hotmail. While the messages are in fact moved on the server, they're only moved after Outlook moves them - Looking at the rules in Hotmail, the rule I created doesn't exist on the server.

Is there any way around this? Surely one shouldn't have to resort to manually moving every email into folders on the phone.
    10-05-13 02:59 AM
    If you were using O365 and not free Hotmail or a corporate exchange server, those rules would likely be server based and not client based. Your outlook client has to be running to perform these actions. I can't say with 100% certainty that enterprise exchange does this but I do know Lotus Notes (yeah yeah shut it...not my choixe!) does, in fact, apply the rules you create on the client at the server level. If the client is not running the rules still take effect.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    10-05-13 07:54 PM
    Thanks for the answer. Can you see my frustration with everything going to a synchronized configuration? This is why I prefer to have Outlook download and sort everything automatically and whatever I want kept on my phone I simply don't delete from it.
    10-05-13 08:23 PM
    I do understand your frustration, yes. I have adapted and to be honest, much much prefer ActiveSync over the old way. I just much rather have full sync as opposed to having to manage multiple different mail configurations for the same mailbox.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    10-05-13 08:53 PM
    Thanks for the answer. Can you see my frustration with everything going to a synchronized configuration? This is why I prefer to have Outlook download and sort everything automatically and whatever I want kept on my phone I simply don't delete from it.
    Create the rules on the Hotmail side via tha web interface.

Only Exchange supports client/server-side rules via Outlook.
    10-05-13 09:32 PM
    Create the rules on the Hotmail side via tha web interface.
    Extra, unnecessary PITA steps to work around a problem that shouldn't exist.
    10-06-13 01:40 AM
    Extra, unnecessary PITA steps to work around a problem that shouldn't exist.
    And yet, it's still the correct solution.

10-06-13 07:10 AM
    I still miss this future. Even though active sync is used on iOS etc. too, I don't like it.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    10-06-13 09:57 AM
    I have an IMAP email on my z10 that keeps mails that I delete on handheld intact on mailbox but only for mails that I have opened using the mailbox.

On weekends I'd I delete mails on the handheld then check on the mailbox they are gone.

Also sent messages from mailbox don't show on handheld at all

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 12:29 PM
    And yet, it's still the correct solution.

Not really. If an email comes in that I want to apply a rule to, I simply right-click it in Outlook and create a rule. No fussing about logging into a website and doing it there.

Just because it's the way it's currently done, doesn't mean there isn't a better solution. Settling for the status quo isn't a solution
    10-06-13 12:47 PM
    Not really. If an email comes in that I want to apply a rule to, I simply right-click it in Outlook and create a rule. No fussing about logging into a website and doing it there.

Just because it's the way it's currently done, doesn't mean there isn't a better solution. Settling for the status quo isn't a solution
    Correct and better are two very different things. You provided a challenge and I provided a solution.

It sounds like what you're really after is a way for your Outlook client to be your nerve center and control panel. If that's the case, then I recommend looking for a hosted Exchange provider.

Sorry I don't have a better answer. Rule synchronization of that type is exclusive to the above combo.

10-06-13 01:48 PM
    It sounds like what you're really after is a way for your Outlook client to be your nerve center and control panel. If that's the case, then I recommend looking for a hosted Exchange provider.
    If Outlook is the primary method for interacting with the mailbox (reading, sending messages; managing contacts and calendar, etc...) then, IMO, it should be the control panel for the mailbox's settings and options.

I already pay for email with my ISP, I'm not buying another hosted Exchange service.
    10-07-13 11:02 AM
    If Outlook is the primary method for interacting with the mailbox (reading, sending messages; managing contacts and calendar, etc...) then, IMO, it should be the control panel for the mailbox's settings and options.

I already pay for email with my ISP, I'm not buying another hosted Exchange service.
    In that case you would need to talk to your ISP, whom you are paying for the service. Keep in mind that free accounts will give you what they choose to give you, which is obviously not all features.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-07-13 11:15 AM
    Outlook is merely a client, with the Hotmail connector it will interact server side, but any other email server will probably need to be managed via their dedicated interface.

Love having all my devices synced with the same emails as the other. That and the calenders.
    10-07-13 01:06 PM

I appreciate the philosophical issue you have between what you pay for and what you think you're entitled to. You'll need to take that up with your ISP And Microsoft.

The best I can do is tell you how the technology works and help you out within that context.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-07-13 01:16 PM
    as so eloquently put by tzioneretz on 07-01-2013, 03:20 AM
    I Quote:
    " I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, and the Q10 is my sixth handset. I have eight email accounts for various purposes, and use email more than anything else on my cellphones. The two primary reasons I stick with the BB are (1) the physical keyboard, and (2) the fantastic email management.

Having the choice to delete a specific email just on the device helps me keep the inbox clean while allowing me to file or otherwise process that message on my P.C., which is essential to me for many emails. Having a chance to delete an email on both the cell and the server gets rid of spam or unimportant messages quickly and effectively. Having the two options when deleting a message made my life very easy.

I am therefore DISMAYED that BlackBerry so cavalierly decided to just ax this option!!!

WHY, WHY, WHY mess with something that worked/works perfectly?!?!?

FAIL. "
    10-15-13 05:50 AM
    FWIW - and I"ve been trying to find the supporting info on this today and can't seem to find it - a Blackberry official recently suggested that one or more of the traditional selective delete/selective save functionality was planned to be added back to Blackberry 10 some time in the near future.

If I find the news item on this I will post back.
    10-15-13 12:16 PM
    Here's one twitter dialogue:

https://twitter.com/MichaelClewley/s...64325298851840
    10-15-13 12:51 PM
    I was setting up a new Z10 for someone yesterday and explained how his email now works on it with his Shaw account (sync'd) and that deleting a message from the phone deletes it from his mailbox, and when Outlook on his laptop downloads the message it will be removed from the mailbox and by extension, the phone.

His response: "Well that's silly"

Making this more interesting: He only set up his email on his 9900 a week before it was damaged. So it's not just BlackBerry traditionalists who like this functionality.
    10-15-13 01:43 PM
765 ... 2122232425 ...