I always hate to give up on newer solutions. This doesn't change what I'd like which his the ability to leave a copy, and to decide whether to send or request a read receipt on a per account basis. That said, I'm thinking that aside from the many folders I have on my desktop (pop) I could create a folder on the Z10 called "to be addressed", which in imap would extend to the server. On the phone I could read and then dump them into that folder to be dealt with later on the desktop, or deal with it on the handheld and send it to the appropriate client folder. Not utopia for me but possibly a way to embrace a newer technology before the other one vanishes.

These questions come to mind which I can't seem to understand elsewhere on the net.

1. I will have to delete my desktop pop account and add the same account in imap. Would anyone know what happens with my many years of sent items and email folders when I delete the pop account and create the imap account of the same email address?

2. In line with 1., can the stuff in my legacy email folders on the desktop (outlook 2007) be synced into the new imap account on the server and by extension, the phone?

3. Can any of these real time sync values apply to my outlook calendar? I find BlackBerry Link quote unreliable.

I know, I'm not asking for much am I

Any comments as always appreciated.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    No. 1 & 2: Assuming that you've deleted the old messages from the POP server, then yes, you can and will need to upload your old messages to your new IMAP account. Upload first and then remove the POP account from Outlook.

No. 3: Yes! And Contacts too.
    07-07-13 08:36 PM
    Really, all they need is a "hide on phone" option for email. That way all syncing issues are avoided because there is no deleting going on, all that would happen is the email would not be visible on the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    They do. It's called "folder it".

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    07-07-13 08:58 PM
    No. 1 & 2: Assuming that you've deleted the old messages from the POP server, then yes, you can and will need to upload your old messages to your new IMAP account. Upload first and then remove the POP account from Outlook.

No. 3: Yes! And Contacts too.

1. What I would do in this case is create a NEW PST file in Outlook. Name it accordingly. Archive-Extremely-Important, or something to that effect, this PST should automatically open, once opened , COPY all your current emails and folders to this new PST. This can also act as a backup if anything goes wrong.

Delete the POP account and then readd your email account in IMAP and then to get all your emails back in the IMAP account, merely copy the folders to the new account in Outlook.

This may sound odd, but I can assure you, once you learn some of the tricks in Outlook, it becomes very easy.

I find it difficult to explain this in words, but if you have a friend or an IT person that can remote into your computer they can probably have the backup done in like 10 minutes.
    07-07-13 09:01 PM
    Thanks for all the comments folks. FYI I backup all email to a pst file daily. I need to look closer at this.

07-07-13 09:37 PM
    They do. It's called "folder it".

That moves it to a folder for your non BlackBerry email client too though, right?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:53 PM
    That moves it to a folder for your non BlackBerry email client too though, right?

Posted via CB10
    It tells your mail server to move it to a folder so any client that accesses that piece of mail will find it in the folder you selected.

07-07-13 10:03 PM
    It tells your mail server to move it to a folder so any client that accesses that piece of mail will find it in the folder you selected.

But you are missing the point. We know about folders, but there are times when I want an email in my main inbox, but not on my phone, right in the hub. I don't have a password on my phone and would like to be able to "Delete on device" like on legacy bbs. My "hide" on device suggestion was to bypass all the syncing issues. I want an email off my phone, but still in my inbox when I access my email on my computer.

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech likes this.
    07-07-13 10:12 PM
    PLEASE CAN WE GET THIS ON THE NEXT OS UPDATE!!!!!

Its so annoying that this option isn't avlialbe -- i want to keep emails in my actual inbox while deleting it from my phone inbox

PLEASE
    So many responses here so sorry if I'm repeating. If you go to accounts and select one, you can deselect "sync messages". Now when you delete on your device in will remain in your inbox or the main email server. Problem is you can't decide for individual emails. Its all or nothing.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10. Best damn phone on the planet. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds...
    07-07-13 10:21 PM
    So many responses here so sorry if I'm repeating. If you go to accounts and select one, you can deselect "sync messages". Now when you delete on your device in will remain in your inbox or the main email server. Problem is you can't decide for individual emails. Its all or nothing.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10. Best damn phone on the planet. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds...
    Lol and you won't have anything to delete either....no sync messages = no mail.

07-07-13 10:51 PM
    But you are missing the point. We know about folders, but there are times when I want an email in my main inbox, but not on my phone, right in the hub. I don't have a password on my phone and would like to be able to "Delete on device" like on legacy bbs. My "hide" on device suggestion was to bypass all the syncing issues. I want an email off my phone, but still in my inbox when I access my email on my computer.

Posted via CB10
    No password? And you're worried about delete mail on handheld / server? Flip fone for you!

07-07-13 10:52 PM
    Really, all they need is a "hide on phone" option for email. That way all syncing issues are avoided because there is no deleting going on, all that would happen is the email would not be visible on the BlackBerry.

As is often the case with these interminable discussions that go on forever and new participants don't bother reading the prior posts:

Crackberry thread ""Delete on Handheld" and "Delete in Mailbox"" (Post #31, Post ID 8101640)

Note that that post was made 4 months ago in this thread.
    07-07-13 11:42 PM
    Just went back to the start of this thread for some entertaining re-reading...

Good times!

07-08-13 12:02 AM
    As is often the case with these interminable discussions that go on forever and new participants don't bother reading the prior posts:

Crackberry thread ""Delete on Handheld" and "Delete in Mailbox"" (Post #31, Post ID 8101640)

Note that that post was made 4 months ago in this thread.
    Interminable? The reason it is seemingly interminable is that some of us may still need the help. We get that by asking questions. Last time I checked that's the way to get answers to specific questions unless there's a new EAS or IMAP technology for syncing our questions with answers. If there is, I'd like an option to leave a copy of the answer in my head.

07-08-13 12:13 AM
    Interminable? The reason it is seemingly interminable is that some of us may still need the help. We get that by asking questions. Last time I checked that's the way to get answers to specific questions unless there's a new EAS or IMAP technology for syncing our questions with answers. If there is, I'd like an option to leave a copy of the answer in my head.

As I mentioned, one of the key reasons why such threads are interminable is because people are eager to jump in after a thread's being raging for 4 months and give their two-cents-worth, without bothering to read the previous posts whereupon they will almost always discover that the same point has been presented, debated and answered many times already. If they expended a little effort doing that groundwork, they will likely save lots of other people from wasting their time on settled matters. (The post I used as an example here wasn't even a particularly egregious example of that - not only because the idea of this "hide on device" thing has some potential merit, but mainly because the poster wasn't just making some wild claim and then expecting everyone else to waste time explaining to them how it had been refuted a million times already.)

Once upon a time us internet curmudgeons would admonish and even sanction posters on online fora who repeatedly pulled that sort of stuff. Ah, them's were the days..
    07-08-13 04:06 AM
    Omni you're a very credible source of knowledge. But you do seem to invest some energy in assessing the validity of others' impetus for posting. But it is your energy to do with as you choose.

Anyway, I may have a solution that allows me to embrace the technology once I figure out if it will effectively work for calendar and contacts and the best migration protocol. That progress, from the original "I must have it the way it used to be" is in no small part due to you. For that I'm grateful.

Steve.

07-08-13 08:12 AM
    Anyway, I may have a solution that allows me to embrace the technology once I figure out if it will effectively work for calendar and contacts and the best migration protocol. That progress, from the original "I must have it the way it used to be" is in no small part due to you. For that I'm grateful.
    Thanks and I think all anyone can hope for is that people keep an open mind about their options, rather than always falling back into an "I've always done it this way" mentality - which might be fine for priests or classical musicians, not so much in the technology world.

In my own case, as of this weekend, my stance on some BB10 things which had gotten rather negative in some areas (ie in re: to certain other email aspects), improved quite a bit after I finally updated the ancient OS build on my Z10 that Verizon still hasn't gotten around to updating.
    07-08-13 02:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    My suggestion would essentially accomplish using the dummy email account to delete at will leaving your main account untouched. Grant you my suggestion would also require 2dwlwtes if you really want the email just gone. Wish you the best in your search for an adequate solution.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 08:10 AM
    Since I use imap on my Z10 if I understand correctly, my sent items should go into the sent items folder. They don't. However if I create a folder on the phone and deposit an email into it, it shows up on the server. In the case of sent items, it's not in the sent items folder on the phone or on the server.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the change and I'd there is a setting that controls this. The account is set to sync all folders.

Also in order for imap to sync calendar events in the same way, I expect I have to install calendar software on my server? It's my own domain.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

07-11-13 12:10 AM
    Since I use imap on my Z10 if I understand correctly, my sent items should go into the sent items folder. They don't. However if I create a folder on the phone and deposit an email into it, it shows up on the server. In the case of sent items, it's not in the sent items folder on the phone or on the server.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the change and I'd there is a setting that controls this. The account is set to sync all folders.

Also in order for imap to sync calendar events in the same way, I expect I have to install calendar software on my server? It's my own domain.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

All the message I send from my Z10 using my IMAP server (one that I configure and manage) end up in the Sent folder on my server. Similarly for all the GMail accounts on the phone.
    07-11-13 08:28 AM
    It's a function of your SMTP server or mail client. Gmail saves messages sent through its SMTP server, but many others don't and rely on the mail client to do so. One of my accounts doesn't, which leaves me wishing for auto-BCC.

(Maybe it's the Z10 trying to be smart because SMTP is one server but IMAP is a random Gmail account I forward the account's mail to. Maybe if the IMAP server wasn't Gmail, sent mail would be saved?)

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 11:50 AM
    It's a function of your SMTP server or mail client. Gmail saves messages sent through its SMTP server, but many others don't and rely on the mail client to do so. One of my accounts doesn't, which leaves me wishing for auto-BCC.

(Maybe it's the Z10 trying to be smart because SMTP is one server but IMAP is a random Gmail account I forward the account's mail to. Maybe if the IMAP server wasn't Gmail, sent mail would be saved?)

To add to this: IMAP leaves many details of its implementation up to the server and client design, and that includes what to call "standard" folders like "Sent" (Sent items, Sent, Outbox, etc) or Deleted (Deleted, Deleted items, Trash, Recycle Bin, etc) or spam (Spam, Junk, Junkmail, etc.) and also whether it even attempts to use such folders or not.

Therefore there are often idiosyncracies in how each IMAP system works on particular devices/email clients.

Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) is much more consistent in this regard, partly because the protocol itself is much more specifically detailed and documented, and because the vast majority of systems implementing EAS are actually Microsoft servers so there is a lot more consistency in how they all work.
    07-11-13 08:25 PM

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Steve,

IMAP is an email/messaging protocol (and less commonly used with file stores), it is not meant for calendar syncing.

Typically email providers that use IMAP and which also offer calendar and/or contact syncing use a different protocol for that, most commonly CalDAV for calendar syncing and CardDAV for contact syncing. (That includes both Yahoo and Google, unless you are using one of Google's paid services, in which case they also currently offer an EAS option.)

Who is your email/groupware provider?
    07-11-13 08:32 PM
    Thanks. They're my own domains, not mainstream isp's.

07-12-13 12:22 AM
    Thanks. They're my own domains, not mainstream isp's.
    I realize that, but most everyone uses some hosting company to host their domain email. Not too many are like me and actually run the server(s) themselves.

If you'd rather not state that that's fine, it's just that many times I can give more specific advice if I know who the provider is.
    07-12-13 01:29 AM
    Oh no. Not an issue. Half the sites are on hostgator and the other half on netfirms

07-12-13 10:12 AM
765 ... 1819202122 ...