i have an unpopular solution for you guys that worked for me...

i returned my Q10 a week ago and got an HTC one. with an app called K-9, i am back to delete on handheld. the HTC one also has a tiny (barely useful) notification light much like my beloved blackberrys. sure typing on a virtual keyboard sucks but with swift key (and swipe) i can be super-fast.

it's only been a week, and i may end up with an iphone after all (syncing with my apple computers/lifestyle is less than ideal with android). but i can't see any return to blackberry in my future. we had a good run. but it's too little too late now.
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 07-05-13 at 09:16 PM.
    07-05-13 09:00 PM
    i have an unpopular solution for you guys that worked for me...

i returned my Q10 a week ago and got an HTC one. with an app called K-9, i am back to delete on handheld.

You realize there is a port of K9 Email already in BlackBerry World, and it even sends new mail notifications to the Blackberry Hub, right?

OOPS
    mundo472 and pandapurple like this.
    07-06-13 01:46 AM
    I thought about it for a certain time now, and I also want the option to "delete on handheld only".

I tried to just live with a syncing protocol, but it does not suit my way of working, as I do not want to have the same inbox, over all of my devices.

My PC, and my Phone should have 2 different inboxes that I can manipulate however I want, whitout them to interact with each other.

One could say, I want a 1-way sync from the server, to my phone. But it ends exactly there.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 10:10 AM
    Jesus. Get a flip phone already. Your thinking process is so 80's. Sync lets you do it all. Just adapt to change. It's really quite simple.

/bangshead

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    07-06-13 10:26 AM
    Jesus. Get a flip phone already. Your thinking process is so 80's. Sync lets you do it all. Just adapt to change. It's really quite simple.

/bangshead

I tried it with my Z10 since its launch.

I don't want all of my devices to show me the exact same thing, because I use them differently.
    My Phone is not my PC, and the same goes for my tablet.
    I have no need for them to sync everything.
    My needs are exactly diametrically opposed.
    I only want what I see fit on every single device and the easiest way to achieve that, is through an option of "delete on handheld only"

It is better for my workflow to have this feature, as I tried it for 4 months without it.
    As you can't prove the contrary, would you be so kind, and keep your words to yourself?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 11:04 AM

/bangshead
    Let's see... company uses old-school IMAP and I have no VPN. Get an email for an internal system. Why, exactly does it benefit me to have it on my phone?

Or get an email that requires me to look something up on my computer... Again, how is it useful to have it on my phone?

/bangshead

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 11:52 AM
    Considering I almost never, ever, ever have a need to look back at emails on my phone, I don't see why I need a sync'd mailbox.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - EAS is great for banks and insurance companies where they need control over the email and the employee has one email account. I did PC support at a college and they used Exchange and Outlook. Made swapping out broken desktop PCs a breeze. But I don't need that at home, nor do I want it.

For home users, EAS is a pain in the ____
    07-06-13 12:01 PM
    Speak for yourself, I appreciate having my mail box's synced. Eas is great for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 12:06 PM
    Speak for yourself, I appreciate having my mail box's synced. Eas is great for me.

Posted via CB10
    EAS is awesome!
    But why not include a 1-way sync policy?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 12:13 PM
    I'm assuming you get crackberry thread reply notifications emailed to you... what's it like having hundreds of those on your phone?
    07-06-13 12:17 PM
    Actually I file them based year and yes I do get Em on my phone. I actually just get a forwarded copy from Gmail to Hotmail. I always have a backup copy and this allows me to delete what I do.t want on my pho.e and keep a copy for archive or followup.

Too simple and easy to keep my device clean.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 12:22 PM

/bangshead

Change? I already changed from full sync with Windows Mobile and Nokia Symbian when I got my first BlackBerry. All of the sudden sync is the future?

The only sync I need is from device to server, that's all.
    07-06-13 04:22 PM
    Actually I file them based year and yes I do get Em on my phone. I actually just get a forwarded copy from Gmail to Hotmail. I always have a backup copy and this allows me to delete what I do.t want on my pho.e and keep a copy for archive or followup.

Too simple and easy to keep my device clean.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, I wouldn't call that "simple and easy"
    07-06-13 04:23 PM
    Lol, I wouldn't call that "simple and easy"

Neither are all the hoops that people learned to jump through over the years to make POP mail work for them.

The main difference is that they are YOUR hoops, and YOUR old habits.

There are ways to bend any system in ways that may not seem obvious at first glance. Matter of fact, BIS was actually in many respects a big giant institutionalized infrastructural workaround for POP server limitations in the first place!

Now that the world is not all stuck with POP servers, vendors have moved on to solve new and more advanced challenges.
    ddlax22 likes this.
    07-06-13 08:48 PM
    Neither are all the hoops that people learned to jump through over the years to make POP mail work for them.
    I haven't had to learn to jump through any hoops to make POP work for me. It. Just. Works. No sync issues, nothing. I still don't know how you can defend a platform that is riddled with bugs, implementation inconsistencies and limitations.
    07-06-13 08:54 PM
    I haven't had to learn to jump through any hoops to make POP work for me. It. Just. Works. No sync issues, nothing. I still don't know how you can defend a platform that is riddled with bugs, implementation inconsistencies and limitations.

You're being silly. You've been using email for years and you have over that period of time learned ways of working which, in many cases, are forced by limitations of POP.

People tend to ignore all sorts of internalized habits that they develop to make life work for them, many people have no idea they even have such complex habits.

For example, PC's historically took anywhere from a minute to a few minutes to boot. Rather than sit down, turn the power switch on and then sit there staring at the screen waiting for the PC to be usable, many people will go over, hit the switch, then come back later after it's done booting. That's a workaround to the slow bootup speed of that device. There are millions of such things in human life.

Now computers boot faster and have standby modes that make such habits less important than they once were. The technology industry has moved on to new and more advanced challenges.
    07-06-13 09:05 PM
    This thread is composed of people who want the ability to decide whether they leave a copy of an email on the server or if they want to request or send a receipt. That's one camp. The other camp are those that feel that real time sync imap, eas are the way to go. Then the third group are those with an opinion who think they know more about what the user wants than the user themselves. There are good and acceptable reasons for someone to want to glance at and email, delete it from their phone and access it later on their desktop. There are also good reasons for people to want to have an imap scenario. There is no right answer. Both are right for those that benefit more from one than the other.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    ssbtech likes this.
    07-06-13 09:14 PM
    This thread is composed of people who want the ability to decide whether they leave a copy of an email on the server or if they want to request or send a receipt. That's one camp. The other camp are those that feel that real time sync imap, eas are the way to go. Then the third group are those with an opinion who think they know more about what the user wants than the user themselves. There are good and acceptable reasons for someone to want to glance at and email, delete it from their phone and access it later on their desktop. There are also good reasons for people to want to have an imap scenario. There is no right answer. Both are right for those that benefit more from one than the other.

I've already stated that in some cases it would be nice to be able to save permanent copies of messages on the device.

But you are forgetting about the people who simply insist on everything working the way they've been doing it for the last 5 or 10 years, without making much in the way of a sincere effort to learn how to make modern systems work the way they want them to, without giving up all of those modern benefits.

That is the basis behind my "hoops and habits" argument. The fact that someone thinks that someone is doing something "complex" to make some system work the way they would like it to work does not mean that they themselves have not settled on similiar "hoops and habits" over the years they have worked with an older and more limited technology.

As I have pointed out many times, I do honestly believe that the MAIN organizational issue that people believe they are solving by "selective deleting" of POP/BIS email messages could just as easily (and in many ways, more efficiently) be accomplished by simply filing those messages rather than having indeterminate messes of different subsets of emails on several different devices which may never get reconciled.

That model, which I know well because I've done it myself for years, tends to lead to lots of duplicative effort and deferred organizational drudgery.
    07-06-13 09:22 PM
    You're being silly. You've been using email for years and you have over that period of time learned ways of working which, in many cases, are forced by limitations of POP.
    I'm not being silly, and I haven't learned to deal with the limitations of POP because I haven't encountered any. If anyone is being silly, it's you who insists we all need sync'd mailboxes on all of our devices so everything is accessible 100% of the time.

As for PC boot times - yes, I do make coffee while waiting for my quad core 64bit Win7 system to boot. Standby works most of the time, but as with most things that introduce complexity, the risk for problems increases. Often it will resume from standby and freeze, or the mouse will need unplugging and plugging in. Just like there are dozens of threads about EAS, IMAP and Gmail problems on people's BB10 phones, again because the tech got more complex and there are dozens of vendors all picking and choosing which elements to implement.

All these sync'd protocols are a dog's breakfast and we all know it.

POP is simple and works reliably.
    07-06-13 09:22 PM
    But you are forgetting about the people who simply insist on everything working the way they've been doing it for the last 5 or 10 years, without making much in the way of a sincere effort to learn how to make modern systems work the way they want them to, without giving up all of those modern benefits.
    I did make an effort. I already determined that my needs cannot be met with a sync'd configuration. You call my needs fabricated in an effort to find a reason not to switch.

As I have pointed out many times, I do honestly believe that the MAIN organizational issue that people believe they are solving by "selective deleting" of POP/BIS email messages could just as easily (and in many ways, more efficiently) be accomplished by simply filing those messages rather than having indeterminate messes of different subsets of emails on several different devices which may never get reconciled.
    No, manually filing stuff on my phone is what is time consuming. I never had a "inderterminate mess" of different emails on my 9800 and PC.
    07-06-13 09:27 PM
    I'm not being silly, and I haven't learned to deal with the limitations of POP because I haven't encountered any.

Then we'll just put you down in the "unaware" category as stated above then.

If anyone is being silly, it's you who insists we all need sync'd mailboxes on all of our devices so everything is accessible 100% of the time.

I made no such claim or demand. I do however often criticize a rationale for wanting some feature or function if its basis is selectively concocted to beg the question.

As for PC boot times - yes, I do make coffee while waiting for my quad core 64bit Win7 system to boot. Standby works most of the time, but as with most things that introduce complexity, the risk for problems increases. Often it will resume from standby and freeze, or the mouse will need unplugging and plugging in. Just like there are dozens of threads about EAS, IMAP and Gmail problems on people's BB10 phones, again because the tech got more complex and there are dozens of vendors all picking and choosing which elements to implement.

Yes, those are called "hoops" and "workarounds". They are all around you, as you have demonstrated above.

All these sync'd protocols are a dog's breakfast and we all know it.

I will just reiterate what someone wrote to you above: please speak for yourself.
    07-06-13 09:33 PM
    I've already stated that in some cases it would be nice to be able to save permanent copies of messages on the device.

That is the basis behind my "hoops and habits" argument. The fact that someone thinks that someone is doing something "complex" to make some system work the way they would like it to work does not mean that they themselves have not settled on similiar "hoops and habits" over the years they have worked with an older and more limited technology.

That model, which I know well because I've done it myself for years, tends to lead to lots of duplicative effort and deferred organizational drudgery.
    Seems as though you feel that my comments were directed at you specifically. It was more of a broad spectrum analysis, and accurate I think.

07-06-13 09:42 PM
    ...wait. Are you saying your crusade against those who found it to be an important part of their workflow is because you found it confusing and couldn't figure out how to use it effectively? :P

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 04:33 PM
    I always hate to give up on newer solutions. This doesn't change what I'd like which his the ability to leave a copy, and to decide whether to send or request a read receipt on a per account basis. That said, I'm thinking that aside from the many folders I have on my desktop (pop) I could create a folder on the Z10 called "to be addressed", which in imap would extend to the server. On the phone I could read and then dump them into that folder to be dealt with later on the desktop, or deal with it on the handheld and send it to the appropriate client folder. Not utopia for me but possibly a way to embrace a newer technology before the other one vanishes.

These questions come to mind which I can't seem to understand elsewhere on the net.

1. I will have to delete my desktop pop account and add the same account in imap. Would anyone know what happens with my many years of sent items and email folders when I delete the pop account and create the imap account of the same email address?

2. In line with 1., can the stuff in my legacy email folders on the desktop (outlook 2007) be synced into the new imap account on the server and by extension, the phone?

3. Can any of these real time sync values apply to my outlook calendar? I find BlackBerry Link quote unreliable.

I know, I'm not asking for much am I

Any comments as always appreciated.

07-07-13 05:33 PM
    Really, all they need is a "hide on phone" option for email. That way all syncing issues are avoided because there is no deleting going on, all that would happen is the email would not be visible on the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:35 PM
765 ... 1718192021 ...