They should have been placed in your trash on the server if yahoo supports ActiveSync. Restore and you're good to go.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.

None of Yahoo's email products have ever supported EAS.
    06-30-13 05:26 PM
    its how active sync works guys. same on iphone

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but it can be done, easily, and is done using K9 Email. There is no reason you cannot leave a copy on the phone. It is a necessary feature for many people who use the phone for business.
    06-30-13 08:47 PM
    I just hope they bring this feature back.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 08:53 PM
    I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, and the Q10 is my sixth handset. I have eight email accounts for various purposes, and use email more than anything else on my cellphones. The two primary reasons I stick with the BB are (1) the physical keyboard, and (2) the fantastic email management.

Having the choice to delete a specific email just on the device helps me keep the inbox clean while allowing me to file or otherwise process that message on my P.C., which is essential to me for many emails. Having a chance to delete an email on both the cell and the server gets rid of spam or unimportant messages quickly and effectively. Having the two options when deleting a message made my life very easy.

I am therefore DISMAYED that BlackBerry so cavalierly decided to just ax this option!!!

WHY, WHY, WHY mess with something that worked/works perfectly?!?!?

FAIL.
    07-01-13 03:19 AM
    It's a good question.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    07-01-13 01:55 PM
    I've been a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, and the Q10 is my sixth handset. I have eight email accounts for various purposes, and use email more than anything else on my cellphones. The two primary reasons I stick with the BB are (1) the physical keyboard, and (2) the fantastic email management.

Having the choice to delete a specific email just on the device helps me keep the inbox clean while allowing me to file or otherwise process that message on my P.C., which is essential to me for many emails. Having a chance to delete an email on both the cell and the server gets rid of spam or unimportant messages quickly and effectively. Having the two options when deleting a message made my life very easy.

I am therefore DISMAYED that BlackBerry so cavalierly decided to just ax this option!!!

WHY, WHY, WHY mess with something that worked/works perfectly?!?!?

FAIL.

Just FILE the messages you want to deal with later into a task-specific folder, as I have pointed out here many times, and delete the ones you don't want.

Every once in a while you need to update your method of working as the tools evolve.

While there are some cases where the old features are handy and cannot be replicated or emulated on the new devices in any way, the number of such cases are far fewer than a lot of people keep claiming.
    07-01-13 03:17 PM
    Just FILE the messages you want to deal with later into a task-specific folder, as I have pointed out here many times, and delete the ones you don't want.
    Do you really enjoy spending time filing messages on your phone as opposed to letting Outlook automatically file them when they're downloaded at home?

My Outlook inbox contains 17,953 items.
    I have 48 message rules configured to sort email from 6 accounts into 53 subfolders. Why on god's green and blue earth do I want that all sync'd to my phone?

The last thing I want to do is sit somewhere fingering my phone filing messages into subfolders. With BIS, if I didn't want to read a message I deleted it and dealt with it once I got back to my PC. I don't want to manually file stuff.

Now I have no way to keep messages on my phone.
    07-01-13 04:52 PM
    Do you really enjoy spending time filing messages on your phone as opposed to letting Outlook automatically file them when they're downloaded at home?

I have 48 message rules configured to sort email from 6 accounts into 53 subfolders. Why on god's green and blue earth do I want that all sync'd to my phone?

The last thing I want to do is sit somewhere fingering my phone filing messages into subfolders. With BIS, if I didn't want to read a message I deleted it and dealt with it once I got back to my PC. I don't want to manually file stuff.

There is a quick and easy solution. Forward all emails when received by the server to a temp email account. Put ONLY this account on the BlackBerry so when you delete on the device it only effects the temp account. When you use your Outlook the rules will only effect the primary or current accounts allowing you to file to your hearts content.

A little inconvenient bit will produce the results you ate looking for.

And once a month log into the temp account and zap it clean.
    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    07-01-13 05:40 PM

First of all, I don't use Outlook for my personal email.

Secondly, how is it possible that you have Outlook doing all that filing for you if you still have nearly 20,000 messages in your inbox? That's not a very effective auto-filing system, seems to me. Why in Providence's name do you need to keep 20,000 messages in there? For what?

I certainly did not claim you needed to sync all that stuff to your phone. My personal email client has over 8 HUNDRED folders configured. If you think I'd be inclined to try to sync all those to the device you would be sorely mistaken.

As has been pointed out several times now, you can have those rules filing things on the server without having to keep any email client running like you do now. Think of the energy savings and what a good steward of the earth's resources you would be.

Re: "fingering your phone" - the complaint was that people wanted to manually delete or keep things on an item-by-item basis. Why that's any more time-consuming that filing them you will have to explain to me in detail. Especially since once you file them you have done the first part of the deferred action that most people save such things for anyway, SAVING them time that they won't have to diddle with things later.

The whole POINT of manually managing on the device or email client is that individual judgement is required on each message. If all the filing could be done with static rules, then just setup server-side MS Exchange rules and have it all done while you're sleeping, and without having to keep Outlook running 24x7.

I agree it would be handy in some cases to be able to save an offline copy of emails on BB10. And you know what? That would be a *trivial* thing to add, because there's already an email saving mechanism built-in to BB10 (the "flag email" function that saves to Remember), all they would have to do is simply have an option to keep the saved message indefinitely, rather than purging it at the end of the sync timeframe the way it works now.
    07-01-13 06:13 PM

Ditto for me.

07-01-13 06:13 PM
    First of all, I don't use Outlook for my personal email.

Secondly, how is it possible that you have Outlook doing all that filing for you if you still have nearly 20,000 messages in your inbox? That's not a very effective auto-filing system, seems to me. Why in Providence's name do you need to keep 20,000 messages in there? For what?
    Messages that I don't want/need sorted into folders remain in the Inbox folder. Do I need emails from 2002? Probably not, but sto

As has been pointed out several times now, you can have those rules filing things on the server without having to keep any email client running like you do now. Think of the energy savings and what a good steward of the earth's resources you would be.
    I'm hardly concerned about the energy consumption of MS Outlook running on my PC. It's also easier/faster to set up Outlook rules than to fiddle around with silly web based email clients. AJAX might help things along, but web apps have always been slower than desktop apps.

Re: "fingering your phone" - the complaint was that people wanted to manually delete or keep things on an item-by-item basis. Why that's any more time-consuming that filing them you will have to explain to me in detail. Especially since once you file them you have done the first part of the deferred action that most people save such things for anyway, SAVING them time that they won't have to diddle with things later.
    Deleting a message is a heck of a lot quicker than the process you must go through to file messages. As for saving time, it costs me time to manually file messages when Outlook is capable of doing it automatically with message rules.

The whole POINT of manually managing on the device or email client is that individual judgement is required on each message. If all the filing could be done with static rules, then just setup server-side MS Exchange rules and have it all done while you're sleeping, and without having to keep Outlook running 24x7.
    Your opinion and methods is different from mine. My emails don't require individual judgement. They're sorted by the sender. If they're one-off emails such as shipment tracking numbers then I'll manually drag those into a "Shipment tracking" folder for easy reference. This is a rare example of where manually filing messages is needed. Who said anything about Outlook running 24x7? Sure, it's running when I'm at the computer, but not 24x7.
    07-01-13 06:33 PM
    I'm hardly concerned about the energy consumption of MS Outlook running on my PC. It's also easier/faster to set up Outlook rules than to fiddle around with silly web based email clients. AJAX might help things along, but web apps have always been slower than desktop apps.

You don't understand the way it works.

You could use the web client to set those things up, but the way it works with modern Outlook clients is you just configure the rule in Outlook, and if it's linked to an Exchange server, it automatically migrates those rules into server-side rules if they meet the criteria for server-side rules. (Simple rules that file messages according to sender fall into that category.)
    07-01-13 07:08 PM
    You don't understand the way it works.

You could use the web client to set those things up, but the way it works with modern Outlook clients is you just configure the rule in Outlook, and if it's linked to an Exchange server, it automatically migrates those rules into server-side rules if they meet the criteria for server-side rules. (Simple rules that file messages according to sender fall into that category.)
    I think my ISP uses s Zimbra mail server, so I don't know if that will work well. Not to mention I only get 1GB of mail storage.

As for sorting messages, how can I have emails received through multiple accounts sorted into one folder structure?

Bill emails me at account 1
    Jill emails me at account 2

My mail folders looks like this: Inbox\From People\<Folder for Bill>, <Folder for Jill>

Outlook sorts messages from Bill and Jill into their folders after downloading.

Unless there's a way to sync this folder structure back to the server (there isn't because you can't share a folder between multiple accounts) then sync'd email is useless to me.

I don't want an inbox with a set of folders for each and every email account.
    07-01-13 07:17 PM
    The point is, at least for me, that I would like to be able to delete the email on my phone and still have it on my desktop whenever I get back there. The nature of what I do has me with save email from Dec 2002. So bottom line is that I have to leave it on my phone until I know it's been downloaded to the desktop. Pre 10 environment I could do that. Not now. Call it old of you like but it's what I feel I need to do.

Kellojello likes this.
    07-01-13 07:53 PM
    I think my ISP uses s Zimbra mail server, so I don't know if that will work well.

Probably not, though I can't say for sure.

As for sorting messages, how can I have emails received through multiple accounts sorted into one folder structure?

Bill emails me at account 1
    Jill emails me at account 2

My mail folders looks like this: Inbox\From People\<Folder for Bill>, <Folder for Jill>

Outlook sorts messages from Bill and Jill into their folders after downloading.

Unless there's a way to sync this folder structure back to the server (there isn't because you can't share a folder between multiple accounts) then sync'd email is useless to me.

I don't want an inbox with a set of folders for each and every email account.

I saw someone suggest recently that this is possible, but I don't recall the way they suggest to do it.

But once again, if you keep demanding a feature but then writing a whole bunch of unnecessary constraints into it (ie "I don't want an inbox with a set of folders for each and every email account"), then you are just begging the question.

Some email services, ie Gmail, Outlook.com and Fastmail have features where you can have your main email server (ie running IMAP or EAS to sync to your Z10) pull messages from other accounts all into that system - all into one set of folders if you want. That's one way.

If I were you, I would A) give up collecting junkmail messages - it's a pointless exercise and waste of time and resources - just find an accurate anti-spam service and leave that nonsense behind, and B) for all the stuff that you auto-filter into Outlook and don't care to show up on your handheld - just let Outlook handle that and don't even configure an account on the Z10 for those things. Leave them setup as POP3 and pull them directly into Outlook.
    07-01-13 10:55 PM
    The point is, at least for me, that I would like to be able to delete the email on my phone and still have it on my desktop whenever I get back there. The nature of what I do has me with save email from Dec 2002. So bottom line is that I have to leave it on my phone until I know it's been downloaded to the desktop. Pre 10 environment I could do that. Not now. Call it old of you like but it's what I feel I need to do.

No you DO NOT "need" to do that.

The reason MOST people got used to "delete on handheld" is simply because it's a message sorting paradigm. You decide that you don't have to act on it via the handheld for whatever reason, but you still want to either archive it, or act on it later on a desktop computer. Right?

And that is precisely why people like me are suggesting to simply A) use a modern syncing email service (NOT POP3), and then FILE the message on the handheld device.

File it into an "archive" folder if you want to archive it, or file it into either a generic or task-specific "action" folder if you want to act on it later from another computer/device.

Way more efficient because you immediately categorize the message rather than having to wade through an inbox with 20,000 messages in it that all get generically dumped there if you don't delete them on the handheld device, looking for things you want to do something with. I call that drudgery.

Another advantage is that you can deal with any of those "filed" messages whenever you have a free minute on ANY OTHER mobile device, because they're all synchronized. No time to send a quick followup while you're waiting in line at the store with your Blackberry Z10? No problem, write a reply later that day from your Playbook or iPad while you're babysitting.
    07-01-13 11:01 PM
    No you DO NOT "need" to do that.

The reason MOST people got used to "delete on handheld" is simply because it's a message sorting paradigm. You decide that you don't have to act on it via the handheld for whatever reason, but you still want to either archive it, or act on it later on a desktop computer. Right?

And that is precisely why people like me are suggesting to simply A) use a modern syncing email service (NOT POP3), and then FILE the message on the handheld device.

File it into an "archive" folder if you want to archive it, or file it into either a generic or task-specific "action" folder if you want to act on it later from another computer/device.

Way more efficient because you immediately categorize the message rather than having to wade through an inbox with 20,000 messages in it that all get generically dumped there if you don't delete them on the handheld device, looking for things you want to do something with. I call that drudgery.

Another advantage is that you can deal with any of those "filed" messages whenever you have a free minute on ANY OTHER mobile device, because they're all synchronized. No time to send a quick followup while you're waiting in line at the store with your Blackberry Z10? No problem, write a reply later that day from your Playbook or iPad while you're babysitting.
    I don't have 20000 units in an inbox. I have 40 or so. The last 10 years is filed on client specific folders on one of my favorite desktop systems. So let's not assume.

The problem is, IF I hear you correctly, that once I eventually delete the email from a folder you describe on the BlackBerry, then it's deleted on the server and by extension, the desktop. This may very well be a lack of knowledge on my part so please feel free to expand of you're inclined to do that, and have the time to.

I'm not on an exchange server. I access the isp email account through imap on the BlackBerry and pop on the desktop although that could change. Honestly the imap on the BlackBerry was by accident. I allowed it to add the email account automatically and it ended up grabbing the imap details from my server.

Again, I don't want to draw unfairly on anyone's time but I'd receive any comments constructively.

Murados likes this.
    07-01-13 11:30 PM
    I don't have 20000 units in an inbox. I have 40 or so. The last 10 years is filed on client specific folders on one of my favorite desktop systems. So let's not assume.

The problem is, IF I hear you correctly, that once I eventually delete the email from a folder you describe on the BlackBerry, then it's deleted on the server and by extension, the desktop. This may very well be a lack of knowledge on my part so please feel free to expand of you're inclined to do that, and have the time to.

I'm not on an exchange server. I access the isp email account through imap on the BlackBerry and pop on the desktop although that could change. Honestly the imap on the BlackBerry was by accident. I allowed it to add the email account automatically and it ended up grabbing the imap details from my server.

Again, I don't want to draw unfairly on anyone's time but I'd receive any comments constructively.

You may just want to read the following to give you an overview of the issues. They might have more detail than you want in some areas but I see that as generally better than less detail than you need.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yncing-777774/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...de-bis-786880/

In a nutshell, POP is a "store and retrieve" protocol, and IMAP or EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) are "synchronizing" protocols.

In order to "file" messages, you need to be using a synchronizing protocol, where your email folders are stored on the server and synchronized to all devices/clients. You can use them in combination, for specific purposes, but you have to be careful that the POP client doesn't delete messages you want to remain available to the syncing clients. This is what ssbtech does.

So why don't you go ahead and look over those posts and if you need more clarification just post back here.
    07-01-13 11:51 PM
    Thanks for that, I will. I'll try to control my ******** in the mean time.

07-02-13 12:02 AM
    Probably not, though I can't say for sure.
    The address of the webmail once I've logged in: https://wm.shaw.ca/zimbra/mail#

But once again, if you keep demanding a feature but then writing a whole bunch of unnecessary constraints into it (ie "I don't want an inbox with a set of folders for each and every email account"), then you are just begging the question.
    Unnecessary constraint? Why would I want to split up folders unnecessarily?

If I were you, I would A) give up collecting junkmail messages - it's a pointless exercise and waste of time and resources - just find an accurate anti-spam service and leave that nonsense behind, and B) for all the stuff that you auto-filter into Outlook and don't care to show up on your handheld - just let Outlook handle that and don't even configure an account on the Z10 for those things. Leave them setup as POP3 and pull them directly into Outlook.
    a) I don't collect junk email - where did I say I hold onto junkmail?
    b) Outlook auto-filters for all my accounts based on the sender or subject line contents. I like getting messages on my Z10 but most of it I don't want to keep on my Z10 when Outlook is downloading it.
    07-02-13 01:08 AM
    Thanks for the great advice. I've read through the material and although it looks nice I would end up syncing emails into folders on my desktop be for they are dealt with. As opposed to that I would likely just leave it ins my inbox, deal with it on my desktop and film it in a folder. That's what I do now, and did easier when leave message on server was available. Based on that, a syncing protocol doesn't seem to have any value to me. If they don't bring the option back I'll ha e to live with it. I got all of the Z's the say they came out, which was my mistake. I appreciate all of the advice

07-02-13 11:48 AM
    a) I don't collect junk email - where did I say I hold onto junkmail?

You posted a while back about how you had Outlook filtering spam or junk messages into some folder, as I recall. I discussed it with you at the time, basically saying the same thing, and you never denied you were doing this and (as I recall) defended the practice.
    07-02-13 02:28 PM
    So I access the address (I think) on the BlackBerry on imap and on the desktop on pop3. That said if I move it to a folder on imap, it looks like the foldered emails don't get downloaded to the pop3 system. Is that typical?

07-03-13 03:38 PM
    So I access the address (I think) on the BlackBerry on imap and on the desktop on pop3. That said if I move it to a folder on imap, it looks like the foldered emails don't get downloaded to the pop3 system. Is that typical?

Yes. POP3 doesn't support folders or folder synchronization.

Both the BlackBerry and your desktop should be configured to use IMAP for this to work.
    07-03-13 04:06 PM
    Thanks for that. No, I'm actually looking for away to do it like I used to.

07-03-13 04:11 PM
765 ... 1617181920 ...