^ see mine

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 01:22 AM
    wait. attaching picture
    06-29-13 01:22 AM
    "Delete on Handheld" and "Delete in Mailbox"-img_00000563.jpg

See. Is it a mail setting?
    06-29-13 01:26 AM
    all three of my accounts (on Q10) also are greyed out. and they say 'trash' not 'deleted items'. my dot mac account had two trash folders one of which i could tick. but i did not as i am wary of this solution. like filing, i don't think it will work for me.
    06-29-13 01:35 AM
    Apparently, this solution is working on Gmail accounts.

My company and personal account have the option to sync the delete folder.

On my hotmail, If i delete on handheld, it automatically gets deleted in the mailbox.
    06-29-13 02:26 AM
    Apparently, this solution is working on Gmail accounts.

My company and personal account have the option to sync the delete folder.

On my hotmail, If i delete on handheld, it automatically gets deleted in the mailbox.

Yes, that will only help some people.

Gmail also has tons of parameters that can be tweaked to change how it handles things like message deletions and folder appearance on mobile devices.

It's also quite idiosyncratic and doesn't do things like a lot of other mail systems.

In the case of Hotmail (which is basically Outlook.com now) this uses EAS as a sync protocol and one thing that seems to be a problem with the BB10 implementation of EAS at the moment is not properly supporting the 'trash' folder, which I believe means in most cases if you delete something, it doesn't go to a 'trash' or 'deleted items' folder, it just gets immediately deleted and purged.
    06-29-13 07:03 AM
    Yes, that will only help some people.

Gmail also has tons of parameters that can be tweaked to change how it handles things like message deletions and folder appearance on mobile devices.

It's also quite idiosyncratic and doesn't do things like a lot of other mail systems.

In the case of Hotmail (which is basically Outlook.com now) this uses EAS as a sync protocol and one thing that seems to be a problem with the BB10 implementation of EAS at the moment is not properly supporting the 'trash' folder, which I believe means in most cases if you delete something, it doesn't go to a 'trash' or 'deleted items' folder, it just gets immediately deleted and purged.
    All my deleted outlook.com mail goes in my trash which is accessible via Web or desktop client. Same goes for my work Domino acct.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    06-29-13 09:50 AM
    can someone please explain why this isn't working in both directions? why does an email deleted from my computer remain on my Q10?

thanks!
    06-29-13 11:20 AM
    You're a business user with a particular way of doing things. And there's nothing wrong with that.

However, there are a number of business users that have left the platform specifically because of the limitations of the old BBOS - lack of sync email being one of them.
    Then why not provide EAS alongside BIS?
    06-29-13 11:21 AM
    IMAP and EAS were specifically designed to overcome the limitations of POP3. Especially as computers became more affordable and users could have more than one.
    And while overcoming the limitations of POP3, they introduced new ones.

Size limitations - my ISP only offers me 1GB of storage. Pathetic when everything is now supposed to be "cloud based". How am I supposed to store several years worth of emails and attachments with just 1GB?

Ok, I know what you're saying, don't use ISP mail, use something else. Well the "something else" either costs money (which I already pay my ISP) or is free and lacks many basic email features. Where's read/delivery receipts in Outlook.com and Gmail? If I have multiple accounts, how can I sort the messages into one consolidated folder structure?
    06-29-13 11:30 AM
    Anyone who doesn't set a password on their smartphone deserves everything bad that will inevitably happen to them.

If you look at the goofy lock password implementation on the Z10, you'll realize why people don't lock it.

It's a big hassle having to unlock it every time you want to look at the screen - nobody is going to steal it from me while I spend the day at home.

If BB implemented a manual lock option where the phone doesn't auto-lock after a set time but instead only requires a password if manually locked with a button, then provided for a 4 digit PIN style password screen it would be much easier to secure the phone.
    06-29-13 11:34 AM
    You FILE messages you need to deal with later, from the handheld device if you want, into a folder. Best practices would suggest filing it in a SPECIFIC task-specific folder.

Or... bare with me... set up message rules on the desktop so you don't have to do any sorting at all!
    06-29-13 11:36 AM

If BB implemented a manual lock option where the phone doesn't auto-lock after a set time but instead only requires a password if manually locked with a button, then provided for a 4 digit PIN style password screen it would be much easier to secure the phone.

At least part of that is already known to be scheduled for release with an imminent OS release. And the "only lock manually" pretty much ignores most of the well-known reasons why "auto lock" is the most important type of screen lock system to implement.
    06-29-13 03:54 PM
    why does an email deleted from my computer remain on my Q10?
    Given that I can't recall a significant number of people making that complaint, I would guess that there is some kind implementation problem there. (ie you have the account setup as POP3 and the computer email client is setup to "leave on server" when retrieving messages, etc.)
    06-29-13 04:00 PM
    can someone please explain why this isn't working in both directions? why does an email deleted from my computer remain on my Q10?

thanks!
    Are you using a POP3 account? If so, there's your answer. POP3 doesn't support sync functionality (eg deletions) across multiple devices. This is a limitation of the POP3 protocol and has nothing to do with the desktop or handheld device.
    06-29-13 04:30 PM
    And while overcoming the limitations of POP3, they introduced new ones.

Size limitations - my ISP only offers me 1GB of storage. Pathetic when everything is now supposed to be "cloud based". How am I supposed to store several years worth of emails and attachments with just 1GB?

Ok, I know what you're saying, don't use ISP mail, use something else. Well the "something else" either costs money (which I already pay my ISP) or is free and lacks many basic email features. Where's read/delivery receipts in Outlook.com and Gmail? If I have multiple accounts, how can I sort the messages into one consolidated folder structure?
    You answered your own question - find an ISP that provides you with the features you want/need. Once again it's a trade-off between price/features. You want read/delivery receipts on Outlook.com or Gmail you need to use the paid versions (eg Office 365 and Google Apps for Business - each is roughly $50/yr).

If you don't mind me asking, what ISP are you using where receipts are actually supported? Or is this having your desktop client (presumably Outlook 2xxx) or your BB requesting a receipt and hoping that you get lucky and the recipient is using Outlook?

The sorting of multiple accounts is easy for either product. Plenty of tutorials around the web. Also, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to walk you through it.
    06-29-13 04:39 PM
    At least part of that is already known to be scheduled for release with an imminent OS release. And the "only lock manually" pretty much ignores most of the well-known reasons why "auto lock" is the most important type of screen lock system to implement.
    We're getting OT here, but tell me why I should have to enter a password EVERY time I want to use my phone where I'm not concerned about it being stolen (ie, at home).

If I'm out I'll choose to lock it, but the hassle of entering a password everytime I want to use it while in a place where security isn't a concern is more of a pain than anything.
    06-29-13 04:49 PM
    You answered your own question - find an ISP that provides you with the features you want/need. Once again it's a trade-off between price/features. You want read/delivery receipts on Outlook.com or Gmail you need to use the paid versions (eg Office 365 and Google Apps for Business - each is roughly $50/yr).

If you don't mind me asking, what ISP are you using where receipts are actually supported? Or is this having your desktop client (presumably Outlook 2xxx) or your BB requesting a receipt and hoping that you get lucky and the recipient is using Outlook?
    My ISP is Shaw.ca. Both Outlook 2003 and Shaw's webmail support read receipts.

The sorting of multiple accounts is easy for either product. Plenty of tutorials around the web. Also, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to walk you through it.
    I've been through this over and over with Omnitech. With a POP3 configuration, I'm able to sort messages from multiple accounts into one set of master folders. This is not supported by EAS. Jack and Jill both email me at different addresses. Outlook downloads them and sorts them into Inbox/People/Jack|Jill. How do you sort messages received on account 1 into a folder belonging to account 2?
    06-29-13 04:56 PM
    My ISP is Shaw.ca. Both Outlook 2003 and Shaw's webmail support read receipts.

I've been through this over and over with Omnitech. With a POP3 configuration, I'm able to sort messages from multiple accounts into one set of master folders. This is not supported by EAS. Jack and Jill both email me at different addresses. Outlook downloads them and sorts them into Inbox/People/Jack|Jill. How do you sort messages received on account 1 into a folder belonging to account 2?
    Are you sorting on the device or on the server? What you desire is simple enough, but you need to switch up your thinking and use the server as the aggregator for your email. Using either Outlook or Gmail, you would have it pull the email from those other accounts. The setup under each is pretty easy and both provide the option to have messages sorted into a folder/label based on said account (eg not by individual recipient).

Using EAS on the BlackBerry, you would tell it to sync with either Outlook or Gmail, and to sync the additional folders.

Everything will show up on the Hub in the top level (since that's how the Hub works). But, you can further filter/refine your reading experience by using going into an explicit folder.
    06-29-13 05:14 PM
    All my sorting takes place after Outlook has downloaded the messages. I don't really want messages stored on the server, hence why BIS was really handy.

The few messages I did want left on my phone I didn't care about having sorted into folders.
    06-29-13 05:57 PM
    We're getting OT here, but tell me why I should have to enter a password EVERY time I want to use my phone where I'm not concerned about it being stolen (ie, at home).

If I'm out I'll choose to lock it, but the hassle of entering a password everytime I want to use it while in a place where security isn't a concern is more of a pain than anything.

Security is almost always a tradeoff with convenience. If you're not concerned about security, then don't password lock your phone.

There are enterprise level device security products that are location-aware, but they tend to be expensive. (like the bluetooth-connected BlackBerry smart card reader)

They would probably be cheaper if there was a significant mass-market demand for such products, but there isn't.

There are also probably some 3rd party products that perform some of that, but when it comes to device access-control, generally you want that built into the platform because it is hard to build "bolt on" functionality like that that is truly secure.
    06-30-13 02:21 AM
    Well, I accidentally deleted all my emails from my Yahoo account from this month using my Q10! Luckily it only goes back 30 days or I would have been seriously screwed. No mails to be found in my trash folder either. Ok, so I confirmed the delete, because I thought I was deleting something else, but really this is inexcusable.
    I love my Q10, but this is a serious dent in my user experience!
    06-30-13 06:44 AM
    Well, I accidentally deleted all my emails from my Yahoo account from this month using my Q10! Luckily it only goes back 30 days or I would have been seriously screwed. No mails to be found in my trash folder either. Ok, so I confirmed the delete, because I thought I was deleting something else, but really this is inexcusable.
    I love my Q10, but this is a serious dent in my user experience!
    They should have been placed in your trash on the server if yahoo supports ActiveSync. Restore and you're good to go.

06-30-13 09:34 AM
    Security is almost always a tradeoff with convenience. If you're not concerned about security, then don't password lock your phone.
    The tradeoff could be much less if it was implemented better, and would likely increase the number of people who secured their phones.
    06-30-13 10:20 AM
    They should have been placed in your trash on the server if yahoo supports ActiveSync. Restore and you're good to go.

I checked as soon as I found out, but they were nowhere to be found.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 03:39 PM
765 ... 1516171819 ...