Double-check with them. I believe that BB10 device support == ActiveSync.
    ???

If you're trying to communicate with me, I can't figure out if or what you're trying to communicate.

ExchangeMyMail supports BES on BB10 devices. NOT just Exchange ActiveSync.
    06-20-13 06:20 AM
    I've been told my Blackberry Technical Support that the option to delete "on mailbox & handhled" and "on handheld" will be coming shortly to Z10 in a software upgrade. Below is the email I received from Blackberry:

Subject: RE: BlackBerry INC000026289414 | BB Z 10, FE- Ability to either delete an Email message 'on handheld' or on 'On Mailbox & Handheld''

Hello
    As mentioned on our interaction on the phone, there will be an option to delete on handheld only in a new OS update for the device. As to when that will be released, there is no time frame set or specified. Development of this feature has been accepted and it has been noted that others have been effected as well, however it may take some time for the development team to implement it.

In regards to this information, do you have any further questions or concerns on this ticket that I may assist you with at this time? I will follow up on this case on Monday as well.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
    BlackBerry Technical Support
    BlackBerry
    Taking a break from the "I'm Right - You Guys are Stupid" theme which seems to NEVER end. The above is the only thing we care about! Anybody hear any update?
    06-20-13 06:37 AM
    ???

If you're trying to communicate with me, I can't figure out if or what you're trying to communicate.

ExchangeMyMail supports BES on BB10 devices. NOT just Exchange ActiveSync.
    Sorry, yes I was responding to you. Thanks for the info. The last salestron I spoke to didn't think they had BES10 admin access (eg Balance & MDM).
    06-20-13 06:41 AM
    Sorry, yes I was responding to you. Thanks for the info. The last salestron I spoke to didn't think they had BES10 admin access (eg Balance & MDM).

I was told by someone there that they do indeed do BES10, though they don't actually claim that on their website, at least as of the time of that conversation, which was probably 3-5 weeks ago.

As for Balance, as I recall that was one of the features that he singled-out as being a key reason to go for BES rather than garden-variety EAS.

I grilled him several times about this, because I had not seen another hosting provider offering BES10 before either.

He also intimated that they were a little aggravated by how Blackberry handled the rollout and the support of the product. So in that sense, it helps one understand why so few providers even bother with BES10 right now.

At least now that they have 10.1 out, which supports both the older generation and BB10 generation of Blackberry devices, it should probably be an easier sell to hosting providers. I'm sure a lot of them were none too thrilled about the idea of having to run duplicate infrastructure for each generation of Blackberries.
    06-21-13 12:49 AM
    So, BlackBerry implementing email in a modern fashion is so bad that you'll look at other options that all work the same way as the current BlackBerry implementation?

I'm confused.

At some point technology moves way beyond the way things used to work. Even my Great Aunt had to eventually give up her rotary phone.
    Leaving a copy a message on the server is outdated are you saying? I don't even know what to say to that. There are.lotsof people the would love to do that and I have 3 family and 15 business users that suffer each day because of it. It's not crippling by any means, but it is an issue that disallows deleting emails until they can open mail at the office.

Presented by Dr. Emmett Brown on BlackBerry Z41
    06-26-13 11:23 AM
    Leaving a copy a message on the server is outdated are you saying? I don't even know what to say to that. There are.lotsof people the would love to do that and I have 3 family and 15 business users that suffer each day because of it. It's not crippling by any means, but it is an issue that disallows deleting emails until they can open mail at the office.

Yes, it's outdated. You don't have to agree with me. Look at where the technology is today and where it's going tomorrow.

The market spoke and multiple copies of single mailboxes are going the way of the dodo. The majority of users out there want things to stay in sync and not need to manage a message multiple times.
    06-26-13 11:45 AM
    Those that I know want to save email at home or office while viewing and deleting it on the road. Those that I know need to do that. Some people have important business that depends on keeping Email Saved indefinitely and would not like to do that on a phone. So I'm referring to business users. Of course my children have a much different stand on the matter.

ssbtech likes this.
    06-26-13 11:51 AM
    Also, the market? I have not been able to find where there was any meaningful consultative process outside yay sayers. I'm pro BlackBerry for many years but I'm not about to concede something is good merely because BlackBerry made it.

06-26-13 11:55 AM
    Those that I know want to save email at home or office while viewing and deleting it on the road. Those that I know need to do that. Some people have important business that depends on keeping Email Saved indefinitely and would not like to do that on a phone. So I'm referring to business users. Of course my children have a much different stand on the matter.

You're a business user with a particular way of doing things. And there's nothing wrong with that.

However, there are a number of business users that have left the platform specifically because of the limitations of the old BBOS - lack of sync email being one of them.
    06-26-13 12:46 PM
    Also, the market? I have not been able to find where there was any meaningful consultative process outside yay sayers. I'm pro BlackBerry for many years but I'm not about to concede something is good merely because BlackBerry made it.

By the market, I'm talking about people and companies purchasing smartphones. The consultative process is fairly obvious - the market has spoken, as evidenced by the exodus away from the old BBOS platform and BlackBerry's fight for market relevance and corporate survival.
    KemKev likes this.
    06-26-13 12:52 PM
    I was looking at the the S4 a couple nights ago. For a POP3 account there is are 2 options , never delete from the server or delete from the device, deletes it from the server. My wife's Droid 3 has this option. I wish my Z10 had it for my VZ Pop3 account. In my case I don't care if my phone is in sync with either my laptop or desktop. Anything other than a Pop 3 account doesn't have this option on the S4 to the best of my knowledge.
    This is really the only thing I dislike about the Z10, especially now that I side loaded some apps. This device just flows through everything where the S4 felt very disjointed.
    06-26-13 01:08 PM
    I was looking at the the S4 a couple nights ago. For a POP3 account there is are 2 options , never delete from the server or delete from the device, deletes it from the server. My wife's Droid 3 has this option. I wish my Z10 had it for my VZ Pop3 account. In my case I don't care if my phone is in sync with either my laptop or desktop. Anything other than a Pop 3 account doesn't have this option on the S4 to the best of my knowledge.
    This is really the only thing I dislike about the Z10, especially now that I side loaded some apps. This device just flows through everything where the S4 felt very disjointed.
    That's because POP3 was designed to be "download-and-delete" (per the POP3 RFC). Then again, POP3 is celebrating it's 25th birthday this year, and technology was a lot different back in the 80s.

IMAP and EAS were specifically designed to overcome the limitations of POP3. Especially as computers became more affordable and users could have more than one.

As for the POP3 options on the S4, don't get too excited. They don't need to exist since those options can be set from the POP3 server. In fact, depending on the POP3 server, it can choose to ignore any client-side settings.
    06-26-13 01:37 PM
    By the market, I'm talking about people and companies purchasing smartphones. The consultative process is fairly obvious - the market has spoken, as evidenced by the exodus away from the old BBOS platform and BlackBerry's fight for market relevance and corporate survival.
    It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions.

06-26-13 05:07 PM
    It would be a boring world if we all had the same opinions.

Agreed on the sentiment. But I'm not seeing the connection to my previous statement. Not trying to be obtuse (it's been a long day so I'm not getting it).

Thanks.
    06-26-13 05:19 PM
    Agreed on the sentiment. But I'm not seeing the connection to my previous statement. Not trying to be obtuse (it's been a long day so I'm not getting it).

Thanks.
    Respectful way of disagreeing with you.

06-26-13 05:45 PM
    There is a smartphone OS that will give you the "Delete on Handheld" "Delete on Server" behaviour you're looking for. The company that designed them no longer exists, they couldn't sell enough phones to stay in business. But the product line is now supported by a new company along with their new modern OS. It is BBOS 7.1, and you can still buy Bold 99xx phones that come with this OS pre-installed.
    06-26-13 08:15 PM
    There is a smartphone OS that will give you the "Delete on Handheld" "Delete on Server" behaviour you're looking for. The company that designed them no longer exists, they couldn't sell enough phones to stay in business. But the product line is now supported by a new company along with their new modern OS. It is BBOS 7.1, and you can still buy Bold 99xx phones that come with this OS pre-installed.
    Goodness me. How ever will I figure out the hidden message in that post.

06-26-13 08:26 PM
    You know, the primary reason I want this feature is because I don't want to set a password on my phone, never have and never feel I should have to, and there are certain emails I don't want to be available for others to see if they pick up my phone. Some say file them, the thing is I don't file or manage my emails in any way, they all stay in the inbox, read once and left to be searched for if needed later. Yeah, maybe it's not the best way, or the correct way, but all the other suggestions seem rather inconvenient to me. Admittedly, proper sync of all end points is what I would suggest for most people, but it's not the way I want to do it as I feel I might have to actually start organizing my emails and personally dislike the idea of leaving emails on the server.

As a side note someone asked me about imap today as they have a shared email account with their boss. Thing is, what if one starts deleting emails before the other has seen them... maliciously or inadvertently... can lead to a bad situation.

Not every solution works for everyone, I know my solution would drive most people nuts. The thing is I believe BBRY is working on providing various options and solutions for people who do things differently and that's why I stick with them. I want it all. YMMV
    ssbtech likes this.
    06-26-13 11:28 PM
    Anyone who doesn't set a password on their smartphone deserves everything bad that will inevitably happen to them.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    06-26-13 11:40 PM
    That's because POP3 was designed to be "download-and-delete" (per the POP3 RFC). Then again, POP3 is celebrating it's 25th birthday this year, and technology was a lot different back in the 80s.
    Hey, did you just copy one of my posts in this thread from a couple months ago or something?

To the people who cannot escape POP3 thinking: the concept is FILE.

You FILE messages you need to deal with later, from the handheld device if you want, into a folder. Best practices would suggest filing it in a SPECIFIC task-specific folder.

That way you are not simply deferring hours of email organizational work until sometime in the future when you get back to your desktop computer. It's really quite a bit more efficient.

Doing that sort of quick task when you have a few free minutes, from the handheld is something that actually makes email less of a drudgery, as far as I'm concerned.

The whole concept of deferring a bunch of tasks until later, to me, is not unlike keeping 10,000 messages in your inbox or your trash/deleted items folder. It's emblematic of the giant mountain of work you are simply deferring to some time in the future. (And many people end up avoiding it indefinitely, after the pile grows really large, which creates other problems.)
    06-26-13 11:51 PM
    Yep, that one is gone as well as sending BC to separate category :/
    06-26-13 11:53 PM
    Yep, that one is gone as well as sending BC to separate category :/

It would be nice to have the feature back where you can set a default BCC.

Sometimes I need to auto-copy messages sent from certain accounts to another account.
    06-27-13 12:15 AM
    hi. i have patiently skimmed through sixteen pages of arguing about the way other people manage email on their blackberry. clearly many are frustrated with the loss, unannounced, of a delete on handheld option. i am one of them. i am also not a techie. as i think i understand it, the way we did things is dated and dying. i am ok with that. i can adapt to new technologies and methods. however, i have one question and one conclusion...

question: it is my understanding that this is how email worked on my previous device (bold): email went through BIS(?) and that allowed them (me) to keep a copy of an email on the original server when i deleted the other copy on my phone. if this is true, and no longer the way email is handled (by blackberry) why did my email work this way until i switched devices (Q10 for a week now, likely going back because of this issue)? like i said, i am not a techie.

bonus (stupid) question: why isn't this working in reverse? if i delete email from my computer, why is it still on my blackberry?

conclusion: each of us has a different way of doing things. some preferred the previous method, others the current. if i understand the messages in this thread, the new way is a result of blackberry adapting to the more popular methods employed by more popular platforms (apple and android). if this is the case, i see no reason for keeping a blackberry. i can get an android with a qwerty keyboard. or if i am going to adapt to the popular way of doing things, i can simply buy the popular phone and get the popular apps that blackberry doesn't, and likely will not ever, have.

i was sitting at dinner three years ago after a day of shooting on a film. there were eight of us...director, producers, production designer, cinematographer, etc. everyone's phones were sitting on the table. seven were iphones. someone asked me why i still used a blackberry. my reply: think different.

truth is, i had been telling myself that i needed the physical keyboard. i don't know how an iphone manages email. if i understand this thread, it handles email exactly the way the new blackberrys do. if that's true, bummer. but why have a phone that emulates the popular/successful platform without the assets of the popular/successful platform? it may be time to say good-bye to blackberry.

PS as mentioned before, i am not a techie nor do i care to truly understand the difference between EAS, BIS, activesync and a bunch of other things mentioned in this thread. i only care about my phone working for me and not me working for my phone. it's another reason i have stayed with blackberry so long.
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 06-29-13 at 12:52 AM.
    06-29-13 12:40 AM
    Dear All,

desperation forced my dad to find a solution for this missing feature on his Q10.

I currently own a Z10 and we share the company mail account.

He sorely missed the Delete on the mailbox feature because now if we would get spam we would have to delete the email respectively on our phones and our e-mail accounts.

Finally, after tinkering a lot, I do believe he has found a way and I want to share it with you all (after taking his permission).

Follow the following steps.

1) Go to Hub.
    2) Go to mail account.
    3) Press the three dots on the bottom right hand corner to open the side pane.
    4) Settings
    5) Email Accounts
    6) Click on your e-mail account
    7) Click on "Edit Account" at the bottom
    8) Scroll down to "Edit Folder Settings" and Click on it.
    9) I do believe "Deleted Items" is unticked for all of you, by default.
    10) Just tick it and go back. It will save the settings.

Now whenever you delete any mail on your handheld it will go to the trash folder in your mailbox.

Hope this helps.

Credits: My father and his Q10.
    06-29-13 01:01 AM
    ^ My Trash/Deleted folder check boxes are 'greyed out' and I can't select them - even after toggling the 'sync all folders' button on top. Tried it with gmail & company mail account.
    06-29-13 01:18 AM
765 ... 1415161718 ...