I just wish BD would sell the z10 he hates so much and stop harping about the same thing over and over. We get it. Bis roolz /z10 drools. It's the end of the world. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many (apologies to Spock)...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    I wish you'd keep your suggestions to yourself, I never asked you for advice on what to do with my Z10. Just to make it clear I'm not selling it.

I'm not in the habit of selling gifts received.

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech likes this.
    04-22-13 01:43 AM
    I wish you'd keep your suggestions to yourself, I never asked you for advice on what to do with my Z10. Just to make it clear I'm not selling it.

I'm not in the habit of selling gifts received.

Posted via CB10
    Well now you know what bit feels like to be the receiving end of your posts for the last couple years. You could dish it really well when you were telling myself and others where we should post or not post and how we should think.

Sucks doesn't it?

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 12:20 PM
    Duplicate post
    04-22-13 12:31 PM
    Okay this CB10 bug needs to stop.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 04-22-13 at 12:55 PM.
    04-22-13 12:33 PM
    Well now you know what bit feels like to be the receiving end of your posts for the last couple years. You could dish it really well when you were telling myself and others where we should post or not post and how we should think.

Sucks doesn't it?

Posted via CB10
    What's that got to do with you telling me what to do with my Z10?

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 01:48 PM
    If you honestly don't get the irony, i have no words that will help you.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-13 03:27 PM
    Back on topic. This is a must have feature for me. All devices are not created equal or used in the same manner. People like to delete emails and leave them unread so they can be dealt with on a PC or laptop. Or simply delete them off the phone so it is not cluttered. I like to file emails in folders within Outlook, but this is much easier from Outlook.

If it means creating a BES-like system that is accessible over the internet from BB10 phones to achieve the previous functionality, than that is what must be done. But, I think this is definitely a problem that can be solved with software on the phone itself. A BES type of system could allow lower bandwidth consumption and the other benefits provided by BIS in BB7 and earlier phones.
    05-14-13 02:07 PM
    I have not read through this topic , so if this has been mentioned already oh well..

I have two work around's one is to use the email program Mailux found in app world and setup your imap or pop account. It has the setting to not delete on server when deleted from device and also to remove email from device when removed from server. This is a android port , you will receive a notification in the hub and led / vibration. When you select the notification and chose open it will open the app and email. To get back to settings for any reason while in unified inbox touch the arrow on top of the screen next to unified in box.

The second option is to use same app but after setting up email in app go to hub and set up email account there also. Next go back to Mailux app and go to settings. First tap arrow next to "unified inbox". Press and hold "Home folder" until settings option pops up. Select" account setting"s, under "Fetching mail" change folder poll frequency to every 24 hours.(same place where you find the settings for leaving messages on server.) Select "notifications" and de select "New mail notifications". Almost done.
    Swipe down from the top and tap back button then repeat swipe down from the top and this time tap the three overflow dots Chose settings then "network". Make sure background sync is set to " when background data is checked"
    Close and you are done.
    I have been using this method for only a couple of days and all my pop emails are coming in to the hub normally. I can delete off of my Z10 and messages stay on server. I have no need to open Mailux app as its a android port and it's settings stay active in the background. I have only had to delete emails out of the Maiux app after initial setup and not since.

I wish blackberry would implement these settings in their email settings. Mailux having the ability proves its possible. BlackBerry remain def to our requests as this problem has been around since email was released on the playbook.
    I hope this works for others .
    05-14-13 04:49 PM
    People like to delete emails and leave them unread so they can be dealt with on a PC or laptop. Or simply delete them off the phone so it is not cluttered. I like to file emails in folders within Outlook, but this is much easier from Outlook.

If it means creating a BES-like system that is accessible over the internet from BB10 phones to achieve the previous functionality, than that is what must be done.

I can't really ascertain precisely what you mean by "BES-like system" but BB10 as far as I'm concerned already has that. You can file messages into other folders to your heart's desire, assuming you're connected to a syncing email system using either IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync protocol.

Which I really think is a far superior way to deal with stuff you want to "deal with later". With the old-fashioned way, all you are doing is deferring a bunch of work until later on some desktop client, generally. If you file the message NOW, you don't have to spend hours of your time later filing things on your desktop. And if you need to act on them later, create folders like "To Review" or "January", etc and file them there.

That's the beauty of doing email on the smartphone: using free time to perform organizational tasks that you won't have to sit down at a computer later and do. Because you've always got the smartphone with you, you can do that busy work while you're on the bus or waiting at the dentist's office or whenever you have a free minute.
    southlander likes this.
    05-15-13 12:57 AM
    Which I really think is a far superior way to deal with stuff you want to "deal with later". With the old-fashioned way, all you are doing is deferring a bunch of work until later on some desktop client, generally. If you file the message NOW, you don't have to spend hours of your time later filing things on your desktop. And if you need to act on them later, create folders like "To Review" or "January", etc and file them there.
    Who spends hours on their PC filing a couple dozen messages? Certainly not I, they're sorted automatically when Outlook downloads them on my PC.

Filing into folders only works if you have one email account. Try filing an email into a folder belonging to another email account - you can't.

Look, nobody gives a flying pig how the technology works, they just want the ability to delete a message off the phone while leaving it available for the PC to download and sort later.
    05-15-13 02:26 AM
    Look, nobody gives a flying pig how the technology works, they just want...

Believe it or not, the whole world does not share your particular stance on things, much as you might wish it were so.
    05-15-13 04:12 AM
    I'm not sure what people aren't getting about this. It is honestly the best thing to happen to my smartphone since I've owned one. You want to keep an email, just not on your phone? File it! The whole procedure has been covered through more than one post in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:38 PM
    I'm not sure what people aren't getting about this. It is honestly the best thing to happen to my smartphone since I've owned one. You want to keep an email, just not on your phone? File it! The whole procedure has been covered through more than one post in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    I.also wish this feature had not been taken away. The scenario is that email comes to the BlackBerry and to the computer. I have to leave it on the BlackBerry until I get back to the office to make.sure it's on the computer. If it was done as it was on past BlackBerry devices, I could delete on BlackBerry without deleting on the server.

Steve, Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 11:32 PM
    I'm not sure what people aren't getting about this. It is honestly the best thing to happen to my smartphone since I've owned one. You want to keep an email, just not on your phone? File it!
    The whole procedure has been covered through more than one post in this thread.
    You can't file something if you don't want to keep emails on the server. Haven't we covered that before?
    05-16-13 11:54 PM
    You can't file something if you don't want to keep emails on the server. Haven't we covered that before?

We've covered the same subjects probably 100x over now.

When people insist that the only good thing is something that works identically in all respects to something 5 or 10 years old, there is never going to be any "discussion" or "debate", there is only going to be continuous griping that it's not identical to that old thing they wanted to keep forever.

I agree that in some respects and in some cases some additional functionality for BB10 would be nice to have. But I cannot have a good-faith discussion with someone who insists that no matter what other useful features the modern platform brings to the table, it can't even be discussed in a remotely positive light until it replicates 100.0% of every legacy feature before even considering all the other massively useful improvements.

Reminds me of "peace negotiations" over Palestine.
    southlander likes this.
    05-17-13 02:36 AM
    We've covered the same subjects probably 100x over now.

When people insist that the only good thing is something that works identically in all respects to something 5 or 10 years old, there is never going to be any "discussion" or "debate", there is only going to be continuous griping that it's not identical to that old thing they wanted to keep forever.

I agree that in some respects and in some cases some additional functionality for BB10 would be nice to have. But I cannot have a good-faith discussion with someone who insists that no matter what other useful features the modern platform brings to the table, it can't even be discussed in a remotely positive light until it replicates 100.0% of every legacy feature before even considering all the other massively useful improvements.

Reminds me of "peace negotiations" over Palestine.
    Do you not see how condescending and self righteous you come across when you write like this? How does hyperbole help?

(I know I'm guilty of those at times, too.)

Posted via CB10
    Lalabum likes this.
    05-17-13 11:29 AM
    I am one of those who liked having the delete on phone/delete on server option on my old BlackBerry.

However, with the Hub - i can hide the account I don't need to see until I'm at that job. I can file my emails so that when I'm at work I'm actually more productive. All emails that have come in for one project are filed under that project. When I get to work and I'm ready to work on that project I just open that file. It's actually awesome.

I read through the posts on this thread and paid particular attention to the posters who were explaining a different way to do things. And for me, they were spot on. This is actually much more efficient. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    HotFix likes this.
    05-17-13 03:53 PM
    This "lack" if functionality is a function of using IMAP. Since everything syncs, deletions will be in both places. What they need to do is replace "delete" with "move to trash."
    "Move to Trash" would be amazing. I always liked the delete or delete from server but file to trash would be so much better and would have saved me so many times.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 04:29 PM
    "Move to Trash" would be amazing. I always liked the delete or delete from server but file to trash would be so much better and would have saved me so many times.
    That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work with most syncing email systems. If it's not, then in general that would be a bug or a configuration problem.

For example, I have seen some people complain about BB10 not handling that properly with Gmail accounts in some cases.
    05-17-13 04:44 PM
    I honestly liked the way it was set up with OS7...having the option to delete from my computer via my phone was a huge time saver. Now when I delete from my Z10 it only deletes from the phone and not my computer so that means I have to do everything twice! I don't see how this is an improvement in my opinion. The option should still be there..why change something that was efficient to begin with?

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 05:33 PM
    I honestly liked the way it was set up with OS7...having the option to delete from my computer via my phone was a huge time saver. Now when I delete from my Z10 it only deletes from the phone and not my computer so that means I have to do everything twice! I don't see how this is an improvement in my opinion. The option should still be there..why change something that was efficient to begin with?

Posted via CB10
    It sounds like you are downloading email from the server in a POP configuration. POP is generally the least desirable email protocol to use, primarily because if the email you downloaded lost somehow then it is gone forever. The issue you mention about syncing difficulties is another reason not to use POP.

I suggest you move to IMAP or preferably ActiveSync, and you will get back the functionality you lost because changes made on the BlackBerry 10 device are synchronized with the server. As an added bonus you are no longer tied to a single machine to get your email, and also the email is backed up on the server.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 05:52 PM
    and also the email is backed up on the server.
    Until the server breaks and your local client syncs with an empty mailbox, deleting all your local copies.
    05-17-13 06:44 PM
    Do you not see how condescending and self righteous you come across when you write like this? How does hyperbole help?
    You have to realize that Omnitech is simply better than the rest of us with superior knowledge of how we like to work.

I've tried many times to follow his advice, but I just can't figure out how to delete a message from my phone while leaving it on the server for Outlook to download and sort later.

I don't want to manually "file" emails from my phone. Outlook does that for me automatically. Omnitech's suggestion would actually increase the amount of time I spent managing emails.
    05-17-13 06:47 PM
    You have to realize that Omnitech is simply better than the rest of us with superior knowledge of how we like to work.
    Coming back to this hours later, though, I wish I'd resisted the urge to respond and stayed silent.

Posted via CB10
    Lalabum likes this.
    05-17-13 07:46 PM
    Until the server breaks and your local client syncs with an empty mailbox, deleting all your local copies.
    I don't know what email server you use, but that is not how Outlook and Exchange work. If the served "breaks" and your admins have not deployed any HA/DR replicas or a backup system (in which case they must not be doing a good job), your admins can use a "dial tone" database to start over.
    In that scenario Outlook recognizes the mailbox is different and prompts you to work online with the empty mailbox, or offline to use a cached mailbox copy - but you can't use both at the same time for the very reason you point out. You would then export the offline mailbox to a PST and then import it toy the online mailbox to bring yourself right where you left off.

if you are using a hosted email solution that isn't Exchange, then they still have an HA/DR strategy to protect your data. So again get away from POPing your email and creating a single point of failure that is also limited in functionality as I previously discussed.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    05-17-13 07:46 PM
765 ... 1011121314 ...