Bringing back bis would mean rewriting bes. Can't see that happening...

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10.
    Really? Why do you say that?
    That BIS would mean rewriting BES?
    04-20-13 04:43 PM
    Really? Why do you say that?
    That BIS would mean rewriting BES?
    BES 10 is designed to use eas and to go back to the old way would likely mean a huge rewrite of code. This is more than just device firmware.

ezapper2 and John Pawling like this.
    04-20-13 08:19 PM
    BES 10 is designed to use eas and to go back to the old way would likely mean a huge rewrite of code. This is more than just device firmware.

So a company can't use pop3 accounts with BES10?

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 03:29 AM
    From what I can get from the thread is that some people do not want the email box to sync. Leave the email box on the server or wherever alone and send copies to the device. That way the user can delete from the handheld and still have them in their desktop mail client is that correct.

So what about filing emails? What about marking them as read? If you don't want deletes synced, what about the other items? My opinion is sync all actions or none. But that's just me I guess.
    POP implementation should not work with the server, that is not how POP should work. POP messages should reside on each client.

IMAP and MSEAS should work in conjunction with the server.. that is the proper implementation.

That is issue #1

Issue 2 is the 'hard deletes', which no email client should ever do over IMAP or MSEAS, they should soft delete to a trash folder for further purging or recovery. I truly believe this is a bug due to improper naming of the trash folders to 'Wastebasket' on the Z10 and that we will see this resolved in a future release.

Issue 1 can only be resolved by proper POP implementation.

Yeah.. from the ZED on CB10
    04-21-13 07:50 AM
    So a company can't use pop3 accounts with BES10?

Posted via CB10
    Nope. BES10 supports ActiveSync only in its current implementation. Due to its inherent security implications, I can't see BB ever putting a pop3 option in BES. I suppose they could add IMAP support but I'm not an engineer so have no idea how doable that would be. In the BES5x world, the BES server is installed "on top" of a mail server. In my experience it was Lotus Domino. As such BES5 communicates directly with the mail server that it resides with. I can only assume that in the Exchange world it was similar. BES10 removes that marriage to a specific mail server flavor and subsequently removes that need for BB to maintain multiple BES implementations. With BES10, they need only be concerned about the OS you're installing on.

So, in the end, all the discussion about delete on server/handheld would really come down to changing how BES10 communicates with your mail servers. This would require an OS update as well as BES10.

Can it happen? I suppose, but is it feasible? No idea
    04-21-13 10:23 AM
    So are you saying you'd just put up with it forever? Lol

Posted via CB10
    No I would not put up with it. Honestly what I would do is have all my POP emails auto forward to say an Outlook.com email account.

Then I would set up the Outlook account in BlackBerry 10 and use that for email. I'd still get my private domain emails while having them pass through an excellent SPAM filter. I'd get push emails from OL.com using EAS (free). Sending and sending attachments would be solved. And you can even set your "reply-to" as your domain email address. And Google would not be reading through your email content for advertising.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    04-21-13 11:21 AM
    No I would not put up with it. Honestly what I would do is have all my POP emails auto forward to say an Outlook.com email account.
    Exactly what I do with my personal accounts. I have 4 accounts I actively use (1 OL, 1 Gmail and 2 Shaw) and I access all through my OL account using EAS. Other than slow pop checking on my shaw accounts, it works quite well and does wonders for battery usage. This way I have 2 accounts on my bb10...work and personal.
    04-21-13 11:38 AM
    Exactly what I do with my personal accounts. I have 4 accounts I actively use (1 OL, 1 Gmail and 2 Shaw) and I access all through my OL account using EAS. Other than slow pop checking on my shaw accounts, it works quite well and does wonders for battery usage. This way I have 2 accounts on my bb10...work and personal.
    It is also how we handle our business domain. Though we forward everything through Gmail.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-21-13 12:47 PM
    It is also how we handle our business domain. Though we forward everything through Gmail.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    If my users tried to do that they'd get a whoopin' Our mail is internal so anyone that tries to auto-forward to an internet domain gets blocked and a talkin' to :P
    04-21-13 01:24 PM

Then I would set up the Outlook account in BlackBerry 10 and use that for email. I'd still get my private domain emails while having them pass through an excellent SPAM filter. I'd get push emails from OL.com using EAS (free). Sending and sending attachments would be solved. And you can even set your "reply-to" as your domain email address. And Google would not be reading through your email content for advertising.
    That would work if I only had one hosted email address but I have 6.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 02:00 PM
    That would work if I only had one hosted email address but I have 6.

Posted via CB10
    Even easier because you can forward all six to the same outlook com account. There is no limit.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-21-13 02:10 PM

For now, you're right, EAS only.
    That's why I haven't sprung for a paid BES hosted email service for BB10. because it doesn't support what I consider to be the superior previous way of doing things, just EAS which I get otherwise as well and find to be inferior.

I still believe POP implementation will come, until someone from BlackBerry says otherwise I won't believe BIS and POP won't be back.

I've said this before, but I wonder why all the people saying BIS and POP are gone forever don't push Alec Saunders or Clewley for a concrete answer one way or another.
    No one from BlackBerry has made an official statement on this matter, that says it all for me.
    04-21-13 02:13 PM
    Even easier because you can forward all six to the same outlook com account. There is no limit.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    What about reply emails? How can I set 6 reply to email addresses?

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 02:16 PM
    For now, you're right, EAS only.
    That's why I haven't sprung for a paid BES hosted email service for BB10. because it doesn't support what I consider to be the superior previous way of doing things, just EAS which I get otherwise as well and find to be inferior.

I still believe POP implementation will come, until someone from BlackBerry says otherwise I won't believe BIS and POP won't be back.

I've said this before, but I wonder why all the people saying BIS and POP are gone forever don't push Alec Saunders or Clewley for a concrete answer one way or another.
    No one from BlackBerry has made an official statement on this matter, that says it all for me.
    You're wrong, Lotus Notes is supported on BES10 via traveller.

04-21-13 02:17 PM
    What about reply emails? How can I set 6 reply to email addresses?

Posted via CB10
    Huh? You'd just have one account set up on the phone. Not six.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-21-13 02:18 PM
    Huh? You'd just have one account set up on the phone. Not six.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    I know that but when I reply to one email I need to have my hosted email as the reply to address. And I have 6 of them.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 02:21 PM
    I know that but when I reply to one email I need to have my hosted email as the reply to address. And I have 6 of them.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah sorry I was about to reply again after I thought again about your post. No there is no way to do that that I know of.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    04-21-13 02:22 PM
    Yeah sorry I was about to reply again after I thought again about your post. No there is no way to do that that I know of.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Ironically it was bis email that let you reply to an email from a different email account without even having to set a reply to email address.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 02:55 PM
    You're wrong, Lotus Notes is supported on BES10 via traveller.

Ok, that wasn't really the point I was making, or that the other guy was making, but ok.
    04-21-13 02:56 PM
    I have comcast pop3 and there is no way to save an email. I an not create a new folder to place it in. I am so frustrate with no ability to save and clean up phones inbox I have lost many a bill/invoice due to this Im away from desktop most of the day so look at email on phone then do my replies pay bills on laptop now that ability is gone. need help here or I may go back to 9810
    04-21-13 03:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure that is one of the options. Pull mail from [email protected] on your OL account and reply (using OL) with reply-to address of [email protected].

Edit: Just tested sending from my shaw.ca address via OL and it does in fact work as described.
    southlander likes this.
    04-21-13 05:06 PM
    Pretty sure that is one of the options. Pull mail from [email protected] on your OL account and reply (using OL) with reply-to address of [email protected].

Edit: Just tested sending from my shaw.ca address via OL and it does in fact work as described.
    Thanks be to God.....not sure if BD will listen, but that was good that you tested it.
    04-21-13 06:02 PM
    Thanks be to God.....not sure if BD will listen, but that was good that you tested it.
    Just thought I better clarify...I did that test from webmail...there's no way to do it from the BlackBerry...sorry!

04-21-13 06:51 PM
    Read again the above post.
    04-22-13 01:21 AM
    I just wish BD would sell the z10 he hates so much and stop harping about the same thing over and over. We get it. Bis roolz /z10 drools. It's the end of the world. The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many (apologies to Spock)...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-22-13 01:37 AM
765 ... 910111213 ...