Depending on how you have configured your outlook.com account, it will either delete or put deleted messages in the "Deleted" folder in the webmail account. (this is what happens to the stuff I delete for my outlook.com account)

And when you check it on your desktop, the message is still in the "Deleted" folder. Not very convenient if you want it sorted into another location.
    03-14-13 12:35 PM
    And when you check it on your desktop, the message is still in the "Deleted" folder. Not very convenient if you want it sorted into another location.
    Hehe...you kinda crack me up. If I wanted it sorted into another location, I would have conveniently filed it into said location. (cuz I *can* do that with EAS) See how easy that was?
    03-14-13 01:43 PM
    Hehe...you kinda crack me up. If I wanted it sorted into another location, I would have conveniently filed it into said location. (cuz I *can* do that with EAS) See how easy that was?
    And how can you do that if you don't want it on your handheld?
    03-14-13 02:16 PM
    How odd - that feature has been working flawlessly for me for the past 11 years.
    Yet another example why people who take anecdotal data and try to extrapolate that to the entire world are not drawing accurate pictures of reality.

I don't care how sophisticated EAS is, if all the features aren't implemented across all devices all the time, then it provides an inconsistent user experience.

Immaterial. If I hadn't told you that, you wouldn't have had any idea about it because people typically don't ever encounter anything that would negatively impact on their experience that stems from that little detail.

It's as if I mention to you that .00001% of the air you breath is argon gas, and then you turn around and start ranting about how horrible it is that you are forced to breathe that "horrible, unhealthy air", which is no different than the "unhealthy air" that humans have been breathing throughout the entire existence of the species. That's what is called a "red herring".

Any ideas on the multiple folder issue I brought up above?
    Since it seemed like as usual you brought up that issue because you were prospecting for something to complain about, I didn't bother.

I don't have time right now, I will try to remember to get back to it.
    03-14-13 03:19 PM
    And how can you do that if you don't want it on your handheld?
    How is that even relevant? Turn off display of filed messages and you won't even see it. Once the email expires on your handheld (based on your EAS account settings) the email will vanish from your handheld anyway. (Oh and when I say "expire" I am not implying "delete" so don't start a new rant saying that expired messages on your handheld will magically delete them from the server side.)
    03-14-13 03:48 PM
    Who deletes an email from their phone that they still want a copy of somewhere else. If it's worth keeping, it's worth keeping. If it ain't, it ain't. It's really not hard.
    I think it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that you know what's best for every enterprise and personal user, in every situation, in every country on the planet.
    Last edited by mset; 03-15-13 at 01:37 AM.
    ssbtech and JeepBB like this.
    03-15-13 01:20 AM
    If it's something that I feel there's a good chance of me needing to access in the near future, I'll keep the item on my device. If not, I'll keep it on my PC.
    If it's something that I need to act on or respond to right away, I want it on my device.

My phone is an auxiliary device, not my primary computing device.

Lots of things are worth keeping, but not everything needs to be kept in your pocket.

I'm guessing members TBKFAN and Omnitech also carry around on their phone every single document they've got stored on their PC, every photo they've taken and saved to their PC and every song they've got on their PC.
    03-15-13 02:02 AM
    I understand that this is the way it works in an Activesync model, but does this change at all when it's connected to BES10?
    03-15-13 07:26 AM
    I understand that this is the way it works in an Activesync model, but does this change at all when it's connected to BES10?
    BES10 uses activesync, so no.
    03-15-13 09:33 AM
    BES10 uses activesync, so no.
    Do you have actual experience with BES10 on the Z10 or are you just guessing that there are no user-interface distinctions between a BES10 connected BB10 device and a generic EAS connected device?
    03-15-13 04:05 PM
    Do you have actual experience with BES10 on the Z10 or are you just guessing that there are no user-interface distinctions between a BES10 connected BB10 device and a generic EAS connected device?
    I'm running BES10 and the only interface distinction between the 2 is that the Balance managed EAS account does not let you change the options. Everything else is identical.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-15-13 05:58 PM
    I'm running BES10 and the only interface distinction between the 2 is that the Balance managed EAS account does not let you change the options. Everything else is identical.
    Thanks.
    03-15-13 06:41 PM
    In all the discussion I haven't seen two things mentioned:
    >How long people keep emails.
    >The memory use and clutter with keeping emails for longer periods.

I know people who keep emails for years. On their PCs they neatly categorize them for future reference, even years later. At the same time these people for a variety of reasons don't want their entire decade of emails and project histories in their pocket.

By the time attachments are added email files can get to be large. On a large screen, large memory PC that is no problem. On a smartphone it is quite another manner.
    03-15-13 07:13 PM
    There is an option in the advanced email settings to choose which folders you wish to sync & which folders are on view etc. You can always create a folder & move any emails you wish to keep into your chosen folder by using the 'file' option which appears in the side menu when you press & hold (highlight) an email within the hub. You can still access your filed messages by swiping right or pressing the hub menu tab (bottom left) & selecting Google (for example) then clicking on the downwards arrow (top of the screen) to show all folders/sub folders for your Google account. So the email will still be left on the server but not in the hub.
    I hope this makes sense & I appreciate this may not work for everyone but it works for me.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    03-15-13 07:23 PM
    If I delete an email from my device, I want it gone. I've set up outlook to respect that.
    If I want to keep an email, I'll file or on my Z10 - yep, outlook will respect that too.

Thanks for the clarification.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 07:37 PM
    Other people occasionally use my phone. With BIS, if I have confidential emails that I need to keep, I can delete them from my phone and they're downloaded to my PC. How can I do this with a Z10?
    03-21-13 11:50 AM
    Other people occasionally use my phone. With BIS, if I have confidential emails that I need to keep, I can delete them from my phone and they're downloaded to my PC. How can I do this with a Z10?

You realize that all of your talk about security is kind of silly in the context of letting other people use your phone, right?

And are you just spending every day trying to come up with bizarre corner-cases designed for the sole purpose of trying to push your little BIS love-affair? Really starting to look that way.
    03-22-13 12:22 AM
    I am really unhappy that "Delete on Handheld" is no longer available. Apparently, I don't want to sync my email, I just want to use my Z10 to manage my email by looking at stuff as it comes in and often deciding to deal with it later from my desktop machine. I have been enjoying keeping most of my email somewhere in the cloud, but I guess I'll have to change that now.

I'm also annoyed that some software designer made a decision that affects (apparently a lot) of end users and now we're just expected to deal with it. If anybody from Blackberry is reading this, I feel like I'm a customer and I deserve a little better treatment than this.

I still like my Z10, but this is annoying.
    torpesco likes this.
    03-22-13 05:50 PM
    I was going to suggest that too. Save the one you want to keep to a folder. If someone could confirm that this action could be done then the next question would be where to keep the saved messages: on the device, micro SD card, or server. I prefer saving them on the micro SD card.

I think I read on here that someone made a folder and just moved the emails that they want Saved to that folder...and that the (deleted) emails are actually still in your TRASH folder.
    03-22-13 06:00 PM
    I am really unhappy that "Delete on Handheld" is no longer available. Apparently, I don't want to sync my email, I just want to use my Z10 to manage my email by looking at stuff as it comes in and often deciding to deal with it later from my desktop machine. I have been enjoying keeping most of my email somewhere in the cloud, but I guess I'll have to change that now.
    How do you have the account set up? Is it IMAP or Exchange? If you set it up as a POP3 account, do you get an option to "Leave a copy on the server" in the account configuration?
    03-22-13 06:12 PM
    To Omnitech and others who say "if you keep everything in the cloud, you won't need an option to delete from the handheld"...

Another cloud security concern, this time Apple: Apple ID accounts reportedly vulnerable to password reset hack, forgot password page taken offline for maintenance (update 2: back)
    03-22-13 09:45 PM
    To Omnitech and others who say "if you keep everything in the cloud, you won't need an option to delete from the handheld"...

Another cloud security concern, this time Apple: Apple ID accounts reportedly vulnerable to password reset hack, forgot password page taken offline for maintenance (update 2: back)

Your email provider is just as vulnerable to those sorts of breeches.

Yawn.
    03-22-13 11:15 PM
    Your email provider is just as vulnerable to those sorts of breeches.
    Agreed, that's precisely why I don't want months or years worth of emails stored on their server but instead download them via POP3. My emails are on the server for a very short amount of time.
    03-22-13 11:48 PM
    Agreed, that's precisely why I don't want months or years worth of emails stored on their server but instead download them via POP3. My emails are on the server for a very short amount of time.

You're missing the fact that once someone has pwn3d their server or your account, they can (among various other things) archive a copy of every single message you receive from that point forward.
    03-23-13 03:03 AM
    I have folders in my Outlook on my desktop. Is there a way to sync and have the same setup on my BB or am I screwed since my ISP is a pop3 account
    03-23-13 09:26 AM
765 ... 34567 ...