It's not just a problem with change. Who are you to judge what is or isn't helpful to someone's workflow? Can *all* email be dealt with from the phone? No. It wastes time to see the same email sitting there unread on my phone if I know I can't deal with it until I'm back at my desk. Especially annoying with the email I previously filtered out with BIS.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12, ssbtech, ast_ph and 1 others like this.
    03-10-13 11:33 AM
    I guess you don't want your email in sync then. When you delete an email from your phone is it not in the deleted folder on the server?
    03-10-13 11:47 AM
    I also missed this when I left BBOS, but I got used to using Android's "archive" for a similar purpose.

With true sync happening, I think the best that could be done is to have a "hide" selection for individual emails. They'd still be on the device, but they'd be invisible to the user until he/she clicks a "show all"--similar to the way BBOS handled folders and icons on its main screen. This wouldn't save space of course, but it would provide the user with the less cluttered inbox option, which is what the "delete on handheld" mainly offered.

So I'd suggest a "hide email" option in a future update, with a "show all" option in the main email menu.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    03-10-13 12:41 PM
    I guess you don't want your email in sync then. When you delete an email from your phone is it not in the deleted folder on the server?
    As one example, I don't have access to certain internal systems from my phone, and even if I did, it is not the tool I would use for code review. Browsing a code repository with thousands of files and millions of lines of code is not practical on a phone.

I want only email on my phone that I can act on from my phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 03:19 PM
    As one example, I don't have access to certain internal systems from my phone, and even if I did, it is not the tool I would use for code review. Browsing a code repository with thousands of files and millions of lines of code is not practical on a phone.

I want only email on my phone that I can act on from my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Then perhaps you should stick to the legacy bb's or see if android, iOS, WP8 or whatever else is out there are better suited for you.
    03-10-13 03:36 PM
    I also missed this when I left BBOS, but I got used to using Android's "archive" for a similar purpose.

With true sync happening, I think the best that could be done is to have a "hide" selection for individual emails. They'd still be on the device, but they'd be invisible to the user until he/she clicks a "show all"--similar to the way BBOS handled folders and icons on its main screen.
    I think that's not a bad idea, since what most people who keep asking for this feature seem to really want, from what I can tell, is to do exactly that: hide the messages so they have a "clean inbox" and by glancing at it in that state can tell themselves "all the messages I can deal with on the mobile device have been dealt with".

But from a philosophical POV it's also potentially problematic: it leads people to a "distorted view of reality" - a synced mailbox should always reflect what is "really there". For example, if you forgot you hid a bunch of messages, you might do something you really regret because you forgot something is there that you couldn't see.

Therefore if an email client were to have such a "hide" feature, I think that would need to have, at the very least, a big bright-red notice somewhere very obvious in the UI that you can't miss, that displays "42 MESSAGES HIDDEN", so you can't miss it.
    03-10-13 04:43 PM
    Then perhaps you should stick to the legacy bb's or see if android, iOS, WP8 or whatever else is out there are better suited for you.
    Wow. That's not an overblown response at all. Did I ever say "I can't work with this! OMG, it sucks!"?

Can you simply not accept that there are minor tweaks some people would like that would make their workflow more effective? How would this hurt your use of the phone?

My way is not the only way, but neither is yours.

Posted via CB10
    fisherda89 likes this.
    03-10-13 05:05 PM
    Wow. That's not an overblown response at all. Did I ever say "I can't work with this! OMG, it sucks!"?

Can you simply not accept that there are minor tweaks some people would like that would make their workflow more effective? How would this hurt your use of the phone?

My way is not the only way, but neither is yours.

Posted via CB10
    Wow do you read too much into something? All I see you saying is I want this back, I want this back, I don't want to do it another way.

Here is an idea, why don't you find one of threads about "what do you want in the next update" and add your wishes in there?

Have a good day.
    03-10-13 05:14 PM
    Wow do you read too much into something? All I see you saying is I want this back, I want this back, I don't want to do it another way.

Here is an idea, why don't you find one of threads about "what do you want in the next update" and add your wishes in there?

Have a good day.
    I feel like you are confusing me with the original poster.

Maybe I did it badly, but I was simply trying to point out that there are good reasons to have used the old feature.

A few people were disparaging the idea and didn't seem to understand why anyone would want the feature.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 05:37 PM
    I feel like you are confusing me with the original poster.

Maybe I did it badly, but I was simply trying to point out that there are good reasons to have used the old feature.

A few people were disparaging the idea and didn't seem to understand why anyone would want the feature.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're right. I can see why someone would want the feature but I don't know how it would work on a synced system. Perhaps some dev will write an email app that works this way.
    03-10-13 05:44 PM
    Yes Same Here
    i didnt realise for a few days i was deleting messages from my main account on pc as well
    03-10-13 05:48 PM
    Syncing is syncing. And lol at posters trying to claim they're more "Businessy" for wanting the old features, like none of us here are business people.

Posted via CB10
    tjseaman and blusls like this.
    03-10-13 05:59 PM
    I also didn't realize that the email was being deleted from PC email. And none of my deleted email is going to trash. So I've lost a LOT of email that I would normally keep around. I don't use a folder system in my Gmail. All email is in my inbox. But I label all my mail. So I just select a label when I want to see a particular set of messages. And I too only want to see 'some' of my inbox mail. I'll have to figure out what to do, maybe folder it all, What a pain.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    03-10-13 06:02 PM
    I also didn't realize that the email was being deleted from PC email. And none of my deleted email is going to trash. So I've lost a LOT of email that I would normally keep around. I don't use a folder system in my Gmail. All email is in my inbox. But I label all my mail. So I just select a label when I want to see a particular set of messages. And I too only want to see 'some' of my inbox mail. I'll have to figure out what to do, maybe folder it all, What a pain.
    Your emails are still on your desktop. Click All Mail. They've been archived by Gmail.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 06:04 PM
    Thank YOU!!! I had a few important emails and thought they were gone for good! I guess I should have looked around more. I gave up too fast.
    03-10-13 06:16 PM
    Thank YOU!!! I had a few important emails and thought they were gone for good! I guess I should have looked around more. I gave up too fast.
    Yep gmail archives everything and keeps it forever unless you delete from the archive, then I think they still keep but I'm not sure if the user can retrieve anyway. The bad thing is it also keeps everything you really don't want to keep which adds to your space allotment if that might become an issue.
    03-10-13 06:23 PM
    Amazing how much criticism is bandied-about by people who actually just don't know how to use something.

Also: doesn't the Z10 email client have a setting to hide emails marked as read? If so, all these people would have to do is mark an email read, and POOF, it "magically" disappears from their view.
    03-10-13 06:23 PM
    Therefore if an email client were to have such a "hide" feature, I think that would need to have, at the very least, a big bright-red notice somewhere very obvious in the UI that you can't miss, that displays "42 MESSAGES HIDDEN", so you can't miss it.
    That would work, although i think a more subtle indicator would be just fine. Remember, we dealt with deleting mail off the handset and leaving it on the server for years without any reminders. The hide system would be functionally equivalent and, I believe, wildly popular. It would be another thing to distinguish BB10 from its competitors, too.
    pandapurple and torpesco like this.
    03-10-13 06:24 PM
    Also: doesn't the Z10 email client have a setting to hide emails marked as read? If so, all these people would have to do is mark an email read, and POOF, it "magically" disappears from their view.
    That's not quite the same. I don't want emails to disappear automatically when read. Often, I read an email at a particular point in time, then act on it later from the phone. I want it to be there when I act on it later. At other times, I read the email and know that whatever it's about, I'll need to be on my laptop to act on it. So I want to save it but I don't want it, and others like it, in my mobile inbox. This is where the "delete from handheld" was, um, handy; and a "hide" option for individual emails would work just as well. In fact, it would work better than the old "delete from handheld", since the hidden mails would still be retrievable on the device.

If BBRY is looking for ways to put itself ahead of the competition in terms of email handling, this is one. I guarantee that if they add this feature, within weeks there will be people saying they can't do without it.
    ast_ph likes this.
    03-11-13 07:14 AM
    That's not quite the same. I don't want emails to disappear automatically when read. Often, I read an email at a particular point in time, then act on it later from the phone. I want it to be there when I act on it later. At other times, I read the email and know that whatever it's about, I'll need to be on my laptop to act on it. So I want to save it but I don't want it, and others like it, in my mobile inbox. This is where the "delete from handheld" was, um, handy; and a "hide" option for individual emails would work just as well. In fact, it would work better than the old "delete from handheld", since the hidden mails would still be retrievable on the device.

If BBRY is looking for ways to put itself ahead of the competition in terms of email handling, this is one. I guarantee that if they add this feature, within weeks there will be people saying they can't do without it.
    Is that even possible with a system that syncs? If not someone is going to have write an email app that doesn't sync and you'll have to ignore the native email app?
    03-11-13 07:27 AM

Look, what you need to do is flag the email. That's the most effective way of working with email that needs follow-up. The method you use is a use-case that is unique to BBOS. In reality it's not the way email clients work, and the idea of syncing on modern email enabled devices is to... keep things in sync in the way that a desktop email client does.

Now no doubt you'll suggest this is not good enough and that BBRY should make it happen, but I'm afraid to say you're going to be in a vocal minority.
    blusls likes this.
    03-11-13 07:49 AM
    Sounds to me like it's up to BlackBerry to come up with all the possible workarounds for those people that are unable to adapt to change. There are ways to deal with this "delete dilemma" but it might mean that people need to think outside the box. This really makes me kinda laugh because where I work there are a lot of "particular" people when it comes to stuff like this and we've had a number of BlackBerry users switch to the iOS dark side with ActiveSync and not once did I ever hear them complain. They didn't care as long as they could have their crapple devices. Point being, they adjusted.

Posted via CB10
    blusls likes this.
    03-11-13 08:04 AM
    Is that even possible with a system that syncs? If not someone is going to have write an email app that doesn't sync and you'll have to ignore the native email app?
    I'm not suggesting anything that would unsync the mailboxes. They would still match in terms of contents. All that would change is that the user would be able to make certain emails invisible on the device only. They're still there, but they don't appear in the inbox unless the user chooses "show all". This is not a modification of how the device syncs; it's just a modification of how it displays mail.

@DivideBYZero, I grant you this is a legacy functionality from BBOS. But it's a functionality that was popular, and if it, or something like it, can be implemented without breaking the sync mechanism, why not do it?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-11-13 10:41 AM
    I guess right now it is hide all read or none at all. I'm still not sure why you can't make a folder for the emails and just move them there? Does have to do with the way work accounts work? On my pb I made a folder "stuff" in my email and I sync it also and put mails in there I want for later.
    03-11-13 11:01 AM
    What I think Blackberry should do is go way beyond that old-school thinking and bring it to the next level.

These days, email has become a burden for many people. There's too much email, people spend too much time messing around with it, and lots of people don't understand how to streamline the process. It's like the people who tailgate you down the highway not because they're trying to rush or intimidate you, they are just following your d*mn taillights like lemmings.

So there are a bunch of tools that are trendy these days that are supposed to make email more efficient and less burdensome. I think Blackberry should take a cue from some of these tools and incorporate some of these concepts into BB10. Examples:

Mailbox app review by TechCrunch
    SaneBox - Email Management for Any Inbox
    Mailstrom: Achieve Inbox Zero With Ease
    Organizer | OtherInbox
    Unsubscriber | OtherInbox
    Unroll.me - End Email Overload

How to achieve "Inbox Zero" and other email efficiency strategies:

Original Inbox Zero Articles (2006) | Inbox Zero
    Before You Declare Email Bankruptcy… — Tech News and Analysis
    03-11-13 03:07 PM
765 1234 ...