PLEASE CAN WE GET THIS ON THE NEXT OS UPDATE!!!!!

Its so annoying that this option isn't avlialbe -- i want to keep emails in my actual inbox while deleting it from my phone inbox

PLEASE
    Spawn12, Mr_F, Krebs25 and 11 others like this.
    03-08-13 09:48 AM
    Yep its a feature i want back as i miss it from my old BB's.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    03-08-13 09:50 AM
    its how active sync works guys. same on iphone

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    03-08-13 10:07 AM
    Regardless, they need to figure out a way to implement this feature. It played a KEY role for me and is one of the big reasons I remained to use BlackBerry. I hope they can figure a way to do this

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 10:12 AM
    I also find myself really missing this feature! Next update maybe?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 12:13 PM
    Are you people using POP email accounts or syncing (IMAP/Exchange ActiveSync "EAS") email accounts?

The whole point of syncing is to keep all endpoints IN SYNC.

There are much better strategies to work with syncing email accounts than the old POP kluges like "leave on server" (which doesn't work reliably with many email clients), "download partial", "make copies of every outgoing message back to myself" and all the other workarounds that people came up with over the last 25 years to workaround the limitations of POP email systems.

Once we can actually get BB10 devices here, I'll be in a better position to know exactly which of those more advanced methods work on the Blackberry BB10 email clients. The current documentation on the product isn't really detailed enough for me to get a clear handle on their current implementation.
    SDTRMG and kbz1960 like this.
    03-08-13 05:39 PM
    Are you people using POP email accounts or syncing (IMAP/Exchange ActiveSync "EAS") email accounts?

The whole point of syncing is to keep all endpoints IN SYNC.

There are much better strategies to work with syncing email accounts than the old POP kluges like "leave on server" (which doesn't work reliably with many email clients), "download partial", "make copies of every outgoing message back to myself" and all the other workarounds that people came up with over the last 25 years to workaround the limitations of POP email systems.

Once we can actually get BB10 devices here, I'll be in a better position to know exactly which of those more advanced methods work on the Blackberry BB10 email clients. The current documentation on the product isn't really detailed enough for me to get a clear handle on their current implementation.
    I'm using imap with my Gmail account and seems like I don't have that option like I had on my 9900.

Been looking around to see if I can find anything on it but nothing yet. Also missing the report spam option which I again had on my 9900.

Posted via CB10
    Eskibo and Stephen C. like this.
    03-08-13 07:20 PM
    This "lack" if functionality is a function of using IMAP. Since everything syncs, deletions will be in both places. What they need to do is replace "delete" with "move to trash."
    Dude_9 likes this.
    03-08-13 07:29 PM
    i too miss these feature ..... bb we want this back...
    03-09-13 12:42 AM
    I seem to delete on handheld it deletes of Gmail too? What am I missing here?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 07:12 AM
    I seem to delete on handheld it deletes of Gmail too? What am I missing here?

Posted via CB10
    With the older BB's when you went to delete, you had the option of deleting just off the handheld ie the device or deleting off both handheld and server. But only if you had this option set in the settings etc.

Now with the Z10 you dont have that option, when you delete an email...it will delete off the handheld and server depending on how you have it set up etc.
    03-09-13 07:31 AM
    I have multiple accounts; POP, IMAP, EAS. I always had the option of deleting only on the handheld or on the server as well.

This is a 'must have' feature for me!
    03-09-13 09:24 AM
    Same problem with Gmail Contacts, how to prevent it deleting from Gmail?.. (sorry off topic)
    03-09-13 11:11 AM
    I think I read on here that someone made a folder and just moved the emails that they want Saved to that folder...and that the (deleted) emails are actually still in your TRASH folder.
    kbz1960 and Veronica Parker like this.
    03-09-13 11:26 AM
    Same problem with Gmail Contacts, how to prevent it deleting from Gmail?.. (sorry off topic)
    Only way I'm aware of is to move the contact out of "My Contacts" in Gmail.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 02:20 PM
    That's what I did (calicocats post) though the hub shows all folder contents. Yo can select only to see inbox but can't make that the default (or I can't see how to do so). My deleted ones are gone for ever. No trash

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 02:38 PM
    With the older BB's when you went to delete, you had the option of deleting just off the handheld ie the device or deleting off both handheld and server. But only if you had this option set in the settings etc.

Now with the Z10 you dont have that option, when you delete an email...it will delete off the handheld and server depending on how you have it set up etc.
    Are you absolutely sure you weren't using a POP3 account on the previous Blackberry?

As I wrote previously, the whole point of a syncing protocol (IMAP, EAS) is to keep the view of the mailbox/account the same on all email access points.

What a particular system does with a deleted email varies. For example, with Gmail, you can choose to send anything deleted to an "archive" folder. Or to a trash folder. What is unusual about Gmail (because they want to data-mine every email you have ever sent or received) is that there is actually no true "delete" with Gmail, and there are actually no folders in the conventional sense, only "labels".

There are lots of ways to accomplish "clean inbox" with a syncing type of email account, but this depends on the server and client capabilities. Since I haven't been able to use BB10 yet, I'm not yet 100% clear on what options are available in the BB10 email client.
    Harley Kid likes this.
    03-09-13 03:45 PM
    I always found it annoying when that prompt popped up. Like has been said already, the whole point of a smart phone is to keep all points "In Sync".

Who deletes an email from their phone that they still want a copy of somewhere else. If it's worth keeping, it's worth keeping. If it ain't, it ain't. It's really not hard.

I applaud BlackBerry's iniatiative to streamline the user experience and take out the myriad niche options that only appeal to a slim minority of users. BB10 is sleaker, cleaner, more intuitive and overall better. These so called feature omissions, I believe were intentional and well considered by BlackBerry and I would be holding my breath to see any of them return.

Posted via CB10
    tjseaman and tjseaman like this.
    03-09-13 04:27 PM
    I always found it annoying when that prompt popped up. Like has been said already, the whole point of a smart phone is to keep all points "In Sync".

Who deletes an email from their phone that they still want a copy of somewhere else. If it's worth keeping, it's worth keeping. If it ain't, it ain't. It's really not hard.

I applaud BlackBerry's iniatiative to streamline the user experience and take out the myriad niche options that only appeal to a slim minority of users. BB10 is sleaker, cleaner, more intuitive and overall better. These so called feature omissions, I believe were intentional and well considered by BlackBerry and I would be holding my breath to see any of them return.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. With my BBOS5 I can delete from phone but keep emails on OWA for work. I can keep the phone email streamlined and still have access to old emails that I might need; I have emails from years ago on the work email server that I have needed.

Similar with my home email; I have it set up as a POP3 so that I can read an email, delete it off the phone, but it is still there for my wife to read at home.

However, I know that this won't be possible with BB10 so I'll learn to live with it. A non-techie question though: if I set up my work email which is OWA on BB10, is the BB storing those same emails on the phone or is it only accessing OWA? I currently have about 1.6 gig of emails on OWA.
    JoziGrrl likes this.
    03-09-13 04:40 PM
    Are you absolutely sure you weren't using a POP3 account on the previous Blackberry?

As I wrote previously, the whole point of a syncing protocol (IMAP, EAS) is to keep the view of the mailbox/account the same on all email access points.

What a particular system does with a deleted email varies. For example, with Gmail, you can choose to send anything deleted to an "archive" folder. Or to a trash folder. What is unusual about Gmail (because they want to data-mine every email you have ever sent or received) is that there is actually no true "delete" with Gmail, and there are actually no folders in the conventional sense, only "labels".

There are lots of ways to accomplish "clean inbox" with a syncing type of email account, but this depends on the server and client capabilities. Since I haven't been able to use BB10 yet, I'm not yet 100% clear on what options are available in the BB10 email client.
    Nope it was definitely imap altho when I checked my Gmail settings on my laptop. I had both pop and imap enabled and that was before I started using my z10.

I disabled pop the other day on my Gmail account, perhaps I should enable it and disable imap?? Maybe that will work??

Actually was never sure if on my older bb's if it was imap or pop...never really looked to be honest.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 05:06 PM
    The "new" crop of feature designers are not actual users of the features like businesspeople who actually use them. What businessperson doesn't keep records (old emails & documents/attachments) at the office but does not want to overburden their phone with them? Start testing the smartphones with the actual users rather than "techies" who just review/compare features rather than use them. A racecar driver is the one who can give true feedback on a racecar's performance, not a newspaper automotive writer!
    Eeerag, vpblaze, jonty12 and 4 others like this.
    03-09-13 05:58 PM
    I am a business user. The only emails I ever delete are the "Using the copier for the next two Hours" and "So and so will be away tomorrow".... If I don't need to know I hit delete. Why would I ever want to keep that message in any location??

At the same time, if it is something I might need to refer to again at some time in the future, why would I ever want to delete it from the phone but not the server? Why on earth would I carry a smart phone if it wasn't to have instant access to anything important??

There are plenty of better strategies for managing the inbox on your phone. Deleting messages is probably the worst possible method that I can imagine.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 06:37 PM
    I am a business user. The only emails I ever delete are the "Using the copier for the next two Hours" and "So and so will be away tomorrow".... If I don't need to know I hit delete. Why would I ever want to keep that message in any location??

At the same time, if it is something I might need to refer to again at some time in the future, why would I ever want to delete it from the phone but not the server? Why on earth would I carry a smart phone if it wasn't to have instant access to anything important??

There are plenty of better strategies for managing the inbox on your phone. Deleting messages is probably the worst possible method that I can imagine.

Posted via CB10
    On the weekends I put my bosses email on my phone. This is his personal (though not his only) account as well as a business account. If an email comes in from his mom or his sister, or something from one of his subscriptions or his other businesses - i would simply delete it off my phone,leaving it unread and intact on his webmail. This was a useful feature to me as I hated having unread email on my phone.

It's not too bad with the hub because I can have the email on my phone without having it in the main hub - so not annoyed by constantly seeing unread email notifications. But I can see why people liked that feature and have trouble giving it up.
    ast_ph and JoziGrrl like this.
    03-09-13 08:26 PM
    People just hate change. It's simple if you don't want it deleted move it to a folder for later. Is that so difficult?
    03-09-13 09:06 PM
    With my BBOS5 I can delete from phone but keep emails on OWA for work. I can keep the phone email streamlined and still have access to old emails that I might need; I have emails from years ago on the work email server that I have needed.

Similar with my home email; I have it set up as a POP3 so that I can read an email, delete it off the phone, but it is still there for my wife to read at home.
    From what I can see, virtually everyone complaining about the lack of that feature is mostly because they had some particular way of doing things that they've been doing for years, they feel comfortable with it and they just don't want to change.

The main impetus that people who want the "delete on phone" feature seems to be that they want to look at the device and "clean up their mailbox", cleaning it out so there is not a bunch of "clutter" there. They want a "clean inbox" or whatever.

What people who think like that don't stop to consider is that there are all sorts of much better ways to accomplish that with a modern syncing email model. To wit:

Clearly any message which is truly unwanted can be deleted on the phone and it thus will be a good thing that that deletion will be quickly propagated to the server and replicated everywhere.

For something that has been "read on the smartphone, that I want to get out of my smartphone view but keep somewhere else for archiving", the solution is simple: move it to a designated folder to be filed later. Since that is exactly what you would be doing in the previous scenario (except probably on a desktop computer somewhere, rather than a handheld device), there is NO extra work involved.

The beautiful thing is that unlike POP3, you can also file things to any folder you want on the smartphone (depending on whether BB10 email client supports full IMAP/EAS folders, and I believe it does), which potentially saves you LOTS of subsequent "filing time" because you can do that on the mobile device when you have time to spare, instead of having to slog through that task later.

The 2nd beautiful thing is that you no longer have to duplicate every single sent message to yourself in order to have a copy somewhere other than the smartphone to refer to later, and you no longer have to deal with filing all those duplicate messages.

if I set up my work email which is OWA on BB10, is the BB storing those same emails on the phone or is it only accessing OWA? I currently have about 1.6 gig of emails on OWA.
    BB10 doesn't connect directly to OWA, it requires EAS. (Exchange ActiveSync) Legacy Blackberries used OWA because they did not support EAS natively. In general, a mobile device does not cache full copies of a synced email store (neither would you want to pay the data transfer price for that), though once again that depends on the client architecture and since BB10 devices are not yet available here I'm not going to be the best source of info on those details. (the documentation is not very detailed)
    gebco likes this.
    03-10-13 04:58 AM
765 123 ...