The issue is that these are being presented as removeable apps, but they're being packaged as part of the OS and forced by an update.

That's not good: if an app isn't part of the OS, it should be updated via the BBWorld only and removable just like any other app; if it's core, it shouldn't be removable and ought not to appear in BBWorld at all.. Doing both is bad package management, and it's runs the risk of core components getting stomped on.

I don't mind one way or the other vis a vis the carrier's intentions, but it's technically sloppy. Apple doesn't do this (if it's optional, you can't remove it, nor does the Apple App store update it) nor does Android (if it's updated by Play, it's not touched by system updates).
    03-08-13 09:34 AM
    The carriers have ZERO right to assume a user wants to do a certain "thing" with their phone.
    Actually they have every "right". It's their product, they can design it however they want to design it. No one is tying you down and forcing you to buy something before you understand whether or not it suits your needs or not. We're not talking about some government ministry that is dictating to you how you should trim your beard or which direction you should park your car on the street. It's a commercial product. You are free to buy it, or not buy it.

The technical details are immaterial. If you prefer Linux to Windows, don't buy Windows. If you prefer Toyota to Nissan, buy Toyota.

But you don't have the "right" to "demand" after you buy the Toyota, that they refund your money because you would have preferred a grey knob on the radio rather than a black knob, and you didn't investigate that point before you signed the purchase contract.
    03-08-13 11:06 AM
    Actually they have every "right". It's their product, they can design it however they want to design it. No one is tying you down and forcing you to buy something before you understand whether or not it suits your needs or not. We're not talking about some government ministry that is dictating to you how you should trim your beard or which direction you should park your car on the street. It's a commercial product. You are free to buy it, or not buy it.

The technical details are immaterial. If you prefer Linux to Windows, don't buy Windows. If you prefer Toyota to Nissan, buy Toyota.

But you don't have the "right" to "demand" after you buy the Toyota, that they refund your money because you would have preferred a grey knob on the radio rather than a black knob, and you didn't investigate that point before you signed the purchase contract.
    Well, actually it is BlackBerry's product if anything
    Given that the change is also not documented (the "Improves things doesn't count") I could even argue that the carrier is modifying files on my phone without my permission which is illegal.
    Which actually makes me think, where is the change log fr the update because technically I should be able to be in a position approve very change or at least ne aware of every change.

You are NOT allowed to modify other people's property without their permission, period. And your toyata example doesn't work. But let's modify it: you buy a Toyota and they come back after 5 months and tell you that you must have covers on your seats and put them on - you take them off and they put them back.

And that also has got absolutely ZERO relation to researching a product. No blackberry forced you to have foursquare or facethingy on their phone - or a link to YouTube on the app screen. This is NOT in any way related to the product itself. It is just a sign of somebody's incompetence.
    Given that is was not an issue on 10.0.9.348 there is even moe reason to call this a bug and be significantly annoyed about it.

Why is it so hard to understand for some people that there are customers who want their OWN CHOICE respected. ???

Posted via CB10

Edit:
    Here is a good analogy to the problem

Imagine you commute to work and somebody pulls down your trousers - you pull them back up again but then the same person pulls them down again. Would you accept that? Well, coming from your post it seems you would. And I do not accept that.
    03-08-13 11:36 AM
    And once again your analogies fail. Having those dormant apps on the device has no effect whatsoever on anything you do with the device.

They take up a tiny bit of storage space. That's it. It's not like they're running in the background, spying on you, or diverting memory or cpu cycles.

Like I wrote above, enjoy your crusade.
    03-08-13 05:22 PM
    I understand it's annoying. The thing is though, you can fit 16 apps in a folder, 16 folders on a page, and I stopped at 10 pages trying to see how many pages I could create (so not sure how many pages it'll keep creating). That's 2560+ apps minimum you can have if memory didn't run out, probably way more.

Is it really that big of an annoyance just doing as already suggested and just dumping them in a junk folder?

These apps aren't big at all memory wise, not even when added together, so that doesn't seem to me to be an issue either.
    03-08-13 05:51 PM
    And once again your analogies fail. Having those dormant apps on the device has no effect whatsoever on anything you do with the device.

They take up a tiny bit of storage space. That's it. It's not like they're running in the background, spying on you, or diverting memory or cpu cycles.

Like I wrote above, enjoy your crusade.
    And I still do not want a junk folder on my screen. 2MB here 10mb there and suddenly you have lost a lot of space. Plus it is a distracting icon.
    Is that so hard to understand?

I wonder why people support errors and idiotic decisions?
    Do you keep junk that you do not need in a drawer at your desk? No, you dispose of it.
    And it also leads to a "What Next" question. Four pieces or rubbish now and 20 later? It sets a precedent for bad behaviour

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 03:35 AM
    Just delete them, and then ignore the update prompt until you know it's a new proper one (proper updates are well advertised here and at other BlackBerry related sites) . Then just delete them again. There, Bob's yer Uncle, no more having to look at the junk you don't want to look at, and you can keep the ol' blood pressure down. Geez.
    03-09-13 03:43 AM
    Just delete them, and then ignore the update prompt until you know it's a new proper one (proper updates are well advertised here and at other BlackBerry related sites) . Then just delete them again. There, Bob's yer Uncle, no more having to look at the junk you don't want to look at, and you can keep the ol' blood pressure down. Geez.
    I will try to do that. And temporary this works - however I hope that am update that fixes that is pushed out soon. Very soon. Heck, they could easily fix it on their own side without an update if I am not mistaken. Just stop considering a lack of certain rubbish to be an update condition - should not be too hard given there is no OS version associated with it.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 04:06 AM
33 12