Okay, I'm writing this thread because I'm growing tired of the endless complaints and wishful thinking about how the next BB10 device will be 1080p or will have some crazy *** resolution. Folks - this is NOT happening no matter how much you wish for it. Want to know why?

We’ve listened, we’ve learned, and we are now telling you that moving forward new smartphones will be standardizing on the following screen resolutions which will allow you to design your applications to fit two main form factors:

Full touch devices: 1280 x 720 (16:9)
    Keyboard devices: 720 x720 (1:1)

I’m pretty sure that I know what most of you are thinking: What about the first BlackBerry 10 full touch device? Why is it a different screen resolution (1280 x 768, or 15:9)? This first BlackBerry 10 device has been in the works for quite some time now with lots of supply chain management and manufacturing tooling to bring it to launch. So it’s pretty much a sealed deal.
    This was posted back in December on the BlackBerry Dev Blog, with the title Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices.

Folks - there is your answer. This will at the VERY least apply on the next BB10 device (A-Series), no matter how much you might hate it. More than likely, it will continue to be the case for at the least the next 12 months. BlackBerry has no interest in fragmenting their app market like they used to do on BBOS devices - at least not till they are on solid enough footing that developers would actually be willing to make the effort to develop for different resolutions. It simply isn't happening. The A-Series will feature an OLED 1280 x 720 display.

Deal with it.
    06-11-13 09:17 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Apple said there would never be a smaller iPad.

Then they released the iPad Mini.

Companies DO change their minds.

Fact.
    06-11-13 09:54 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Apple said there would never be a smaller iPad.

Then they released the iPad Mini.

Companies DO change their minds.

Fact.
    Not even a valid comparison whatsoever. Apple did it because developers drool at their feet, and would resize their apps to any resolution imaginable - if Apple asked. BlackBerry is not in nearly the same situation, and they've clearly realized that. Beyond the fact that they definitely won't be changing their mind on this in the near future, if they DID change their mind, it would be a horrible mistake. Enjoy your A10 with no apps at launch.
    bp22_ca likes this.
    06-11-13 10:10 PM
    Not even a valid comparison whatsoever. Apple did it because developers drool at their feet, and would resize their apps to any resolution imaginable - if Apple asked. BlackBerry is not in nearly the same situation, and they've clearly realized that. Beyond the fact that they definitely won't be changing their mind on this in the near future, if they DID change their mind, it would be a horrible mistake. Enjoy your A10 with no apps at launch.
    Ah yah, pretty fair comparison. All major tech companies eat their words from time to time. Think that was all diegonei was saying, not an attack on your comments specifically, tone down the aggressiveness.
    diegonei likes this.
    06-11-13 10:21 PM
    If I attack a member, Pkcable will beat me so hard I don't even think I'll ever be able to type again.

mark37724 got it. All I meant to say is: Companies change their mind. It has happened, it will happen and it won't stop happening.

On the "no apps at launch" comment, it could easily be solved by adapting the resolution (the proportion is a simple 1,5x1,3, surely the apps can be stretched without much of a loss in visual quality - or so it like Apple and add bars at the top and bottom). Keep in mind some Q10 apps can be sideloaded to the Z10 and guess what! They just resize.

I wouldn't worry too much about this.
    06-11-13 11:00 PM