So us BB users have gotten accustomed to using compressed data. I have 50 MB a month and never go over whilst doing pretty much whatever I want on my 9900. I love this. It saves me quite a bit of money.

I have read that BB10's data won't be going through BIS servers and as such will not be compressed. Does this mean that if I choose to upgrade to the Q10, I will need a larger data bucket per month?
    03-15-13 03:04 PM
    my data usage has tripled, but i also upgraded to a 6gb plan and LTE. So i never use wifi any more because the LTE is so much fast.
    03-15-13 03:06 PM
    It does. I would average about 700mb on my 9900, and my first month with the z10 I used almost 6gigs of data. This probably won't reflect my regular usage due to the fact I couldn't put this thing down over that time. So far in the first 3 days of my new billing cycle, I have used almost 50MB

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 03:08 PM
    Oh my...that makes me want to stay away from upgrading.
    03-15-13 03:11 PM
    I think it will depend I just got (what I call a good) a plan for my upcoming Z10 through Loyalty from BELL.......

10% off Voice & Data 63 2GB $56.70/month + taxes.
    Unlimited Canada to Canada LD
    Text Messaging - Unlimited Package
    Unlimited Picture and Video Messaging
    Message Centre Lite & Call Display
    0.50 Canada to US LD
    Email & Internet 2GB Flex
    Unlimited Local Talking

And my previous plan was

Smart 50 BB Fab5 -36M
    Email & Short Messages
    150 bonus minutes (had a total of 300 mins with this)
    Email & Internet BlackBerry 500mb
    Unlimited nationwide talk and text to five numbers
    Basic Long Distance Rate
    Call Display + $8/month
    Total was 58/month + taxes
    03-15-13 03:11 PM
    The thing is I pay $32.63 after tax right now. I obviously don't want to go much higher. Then again, I don't foresee myself using that many apps or browsing even more than I do now. There are only so many things I can do on the internet. I doubt 50 MB would be enough, though.
    03-15-13 03:20 PM
    I use more than 50 mb in one day now.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 03:22 PM
    Yeah, only thing on OS 10 that goes through BIS is BBM iirc.....
    03-15-13 03:23 PM
    I just checked my data usage last night as I was on the last day of a billing cycle. I was a bit worried because I use this phone like crazy but coming from a curve I had never worried about going over my 2GB shared plan.

So 2 of us had used 200MB over the last month. Not bad at all considering how much more I use this phone for Web browsing.

I do use wifi whenever possible and my dropbox is set not to download over the phone connection. I also don't do any app updates unless I'm on wifi.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 09:08 AM
    Wow I don't know what you guys do with all your data. I have the same plan I had with my Iphone, a 2 gig plan. I use WIFI at home. And last month, my first month with my z10 I used under 1 gig. I don't stream music or videos.

Posted from my Z10.
    03-16-13 09:40 AM
    It does. I would average about 700mb on my 9900, and my first month with the z10 I used almost 6gigs of data. This probably won't reflect my regular usage due to the fact I couldn't put this thing down over that time. So far in the first 3 days of my new billing cycle, I have used almost 50MB

Posted via CB10
    Holy crap.
    I used about 700-800 on my old curve and since getting the z10, I just got a warn that I am almost at 3 gigs lol. And i have 4 days left.
    I never use wifi except at home tho and I enabled flash on my browser and go to a lot of flash heavy sites
    03-17-13 12:07 AM
    I just checked my data usage last night as I was on the last day of a billing cycle. I was a bit worried because I use this phone like crazy but coming from a curve I had never worried about going over my 2GB shared plan.

So 2 of us had used 200MB over the last month. Not bad at all considering how much more I use this phone for Web browsing.

I do use wifi whenever possible and my dropbox is set not to download over the phone connection. I also don't do any app updates unless I'm on wifi.

Posted via CB10
    How much does Dropbox DL affect over the phone? if only say Pictures? Tons of them tho
    03-17-13 12:09 AM
    You guys are scaring me! I never used to go near my 2GBs on my Torch but for the past two billing cycles, I've actually gone over 2 GBs. I upgraded to 3GBs (in anticipation of my Z10 coming on Friday) and was hoping that this would be enough. Looks like I'll have to alter my data-using habits significantly!
    aadamissocoollike likes this.
    03-17-13 12:57 AM
    Check out the Data Usage Counter app available at the BlackBerry World
    Keeps track of your daily, weekly, monthly and unlimited data usage for cellular and wifi

Last edited by tonyblaze; 05-21-13 at 01:48 AM.
    05-08-13 11:51 AM
    I want from about 100 megs a month on my Torch, now closer to 800. I use my phone all the time but rarely stream videos when not on wifi.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 12:04 PM
    my data usage has also increased with the z10. i used a iphone 4 before and my bill showed me around 450-560mb / month. Now it has almost doubled
    05-08-13 01:29 PM
    The thing is I pay $32.63 after tax right now. I obviously don't want to go much higher. Then again, I don't foresee myself using that many apps or browsing even more than I do now. There are only so many things I can do on the internet. I doubt 50 MB would be enough, though.
    Don't think that will be enough for a month if you don't use wifi a lot and even then. I'm on a 100mb plan and that only last a week if I am not careless.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 08:34 AM
    How much does Dropbox DL affect over the phone? if only say Pictures? Tons of them tho
    I cannot speak about DropBox but if its synchronisation uses the same algorithm as Box then you should not see any significant traffic, unless you are transferring massive image files, after the initial synchronisation which should be performed over WiFi because it can take hours. I transferred approximately 25 GB of documents (text, portable document format, e-books, word processor, spreadsheet, presentation) over WiFi between my BlackBerry Q5 and Box and the process took most of a weekend. Maybe if I had transferred the files between my computer and Box the process would have finished sooner. Regardless, any update synchronisation takes only less than a minute in most cases and certainly less than 10 minutes. The delta computation is very efficient in terms of data use.
    01-26-14 09:23 AM
    For those of you with BBM as part of your data plan on a BlackBerry 10 smartphone is your wireless carrier able to distinguish between BBM traffic and regular data traffic? My data usage shows 0% every month on a 5GB data plan which includes BBM and I rarely switch from LTE to WiFi. I am curious why everyone else is reporting huge data usage on their monthly invoices.
    01-26-14 09:35 AM
    Data usage does go up and depending on how you use it will decide what route you take.

For me when I'm at home or I know theres wifi I turn the data off in the quick settings.

It's part of the morning routine when I leave the house to make sure the data is turned back on. When I first got my Z10 my data went over almost 3x in a month. Now doing this it hasn't gone over in the last 8 months.

Check with your provider as sometimes they have hidden sales on plans especially if they think you're going to leave. Ie retention departments can be your friend.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 09:37 AM
    I am on Wifi at home, and I've used 35.6mb of data since January 19th. Never gone over my 1gb plan since getting my Z10 in May.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 09:45 AM
    My question to data conscious users is this. Why? You have a great device l, why not take advantage of its features. If you don't need all its features there are some great flip phones out there for literally pennies since it's obvious that the extra $20 a month you need to spend really breaks the bank

Haha I'm just poking fun obviously, but in some ways I am serious. Spring for the extra data, it's worth being able to do what you want and need to do.

I'm on unlimited data, to keep that obviously I have to purchase my devices outright. It would be easy to get on ebay or craigslist and buy a phone a year or two old and call it a day. But I'd rather get the device I want to get and do what I want to do on it.

My point is it's better to spend a little more and get what you want (because we're tired of hearing people on the cheap complain) than to limited unnecessarily. There's always a compromise.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 09:47 AM