04-30-15 06:25 PM
35 12
tools
    Krugbot, curious to hear if this article (admittedly a few years old now) speaks to you:

How Your Wireless Carrier Overcharges You | MIT Technology Review

Edit: Just to summarise, you get charged for data that your network sends to your device, even if your device doesn't receive it. So if you have flaky radio reception then you can leak data. Exacerbated by using video and audio streams which may not quickly detect that the receiving device is not receiving.
    Well, the only culprit that could cause that would be iHeart Radio or Youtube, but even so, I maybe used them twice on the network, and every other time on WiFi. Most of the media related things I've used the phone for on the cellular network are with transferring pictures, or reading. Didn't mean to imply I was a big media streamer before.

Still, there could be some "data leaking" going on, but it's a huge discrepancy. I'm going to call AT&T at lunch.
    04-29-15 10:41 AM
    Well, the only culprit that could cause that would be iHeart Radio or Youtube, but even so, I maybe used them twice on the network, and every other time on WiFi. Most of the media related things I've used the phone for on the cellular network are with transferring pictures, or reading. Didn't mean to imply I was a big media streamer before.

Still, there could be some "data leaking" going on, but it's a huge discrepancy. I'm going to call AT&T at lunch.
    Just in case... do you use your SIM on another phone?

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 10:46 AM
    Well, the only culprit that could cause that would be iHeart Radio or Youtube, but even so, I maybe used them twice on the network, and every other time on WiFi.
    Do you turn mobile data off manually when you use WiFi? Sometimes you may not be using Wifi even when in range.
    (I wish BlackBerry would add a quick setting for it, because I turn it on and off regularly).

Edit: Thinking about it some more, if the Wifi and mobile network are competing, you could run into a pathological situation of frequent changes from one to the other. That could increase the packet loss too.
    Last edited by baarn; 04-29-15 at 11:39 AM.
    04-29-15 10:57 AM
    Turns out to be a non-issue. Probably is some data sharing going on between Wifi and cellular data, but the big culprit this month is that even though AT&T tells me my data/billing end date is one thing, it's actually one day earlier. On top of that my phone apparently downloaded 447mb of data at 1am(01:00) the day the billing period started, but one day before the data monitoring would have begun. What the hell would have used nearly 500mb at 1am on a Wed night??? I would have been asleep, and I've got auto-updating turned off. Even if I wasn't on wifi, that implies something was sucking down data. AT&T couldn't tell me what it was.

So that difference mostly accounts for the usage the carrier reports. Still perplexing.
    baarn likes this.
    04-29-15 12:06 PM
    Turns out to be a non-issue. Probably is some data sharing going on between Wifi and cellular data, but the big culprit this month is that even though AT&T tells me my data/billing end date is one thing, it's actually one day earlier. On top of that my phone apparently downloaded 447mb of data at 1am(01:00) the day the billing period started, but one day before the data monitoring would have begun. What the hell would have used nearly 500mb at 1am on a Wed night??? I would have been asleep, and I've got auto-updating turned off. Even if I wasn't on wifi, that implies something was sucking down data. AT&T couldn't tell me what it was.

So that difference mostly accounts for the usage the carrier reports. Still perplexing.
    If you go into the device monitor, you'll be able to find out which application use all that bandwidth

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 12:49 PM
    If you go into the device monitor, you'll be able to find out which application use all that bandwidth

Posted via CB10
    It's not so cut and dry. I don't have a full lifelong history of data consumption for each app, I only have information from the date I set as the beginning of my billing cycle. Unless there's some other menu that shows me out much data each app has consumed since i've installed it?
    04-29-15 01:17 PM
    It's not so cut and dry. I don't have a full lifelong history of data consumption for each app, I only have information from the date I set as the beginning of my billing cycle. Unless there's some other menu that shows me out much data each app has consumed since i've installed it?
    No it only shows per app within the billing cycles that you set

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 01:39 PM
    OP. Try turning off data for one day. Call at&t and tell them to tell you the exact usage from your phone.
    The next day, call back and check.
    It sounds like at&t is trying to screw you. As we have all said, the data monitor is surprisingly very accurate on BlackBerry 10. There are no settings, it just monitors the data in and out, and I don't think anything can 'hide' from it.

Your problem resides with at&t overcharging you. I'd be pissed!
    diegonei likes this.
    04-29-15 02:34 PM
    Historical data for mobile data usage from previous billing cycles is being added in 10.3.2, but unfortunately won't help you much.

Would definitely suggest turning off your data for a day and checking the usage with AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    04-30-15 01:11 AM

Carrier is the culprit in the end. Yeah, perplexing.

Well, at least now you know the true date. Keep an eye out and see if the two metrics get closer...
    04-30-15 06:25 PM
35 12