Can someone explain what happens to your data after you encrypt the information and send an eencrypted file attachment? I encrypt my files but what if someone receives a file that I attached, is there an key that's embedded within the attachment that de-crypts?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-31-16 05:20 PM
    If you are just talking about the encryption option you can enable in the settings, any file you send will not be encrypted at all.

The files are encrypted while stored, but as soon as an app tries to read the file the BlackBerry 10 Operating System decrypts it for the app.
    12-31-16 08:11 PM
    So data encrypted on the device will prevent hackers access to all files on the device and SD card if I select the option. Good to know.

When ever I hear on the news about the risk of how hackers are accessing mobile phones, or protecting your personal data they never show a BlackBerry 10 device. It's always iPhone or Android.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    12-31-16 09:47 PM
    One thing to keep in mind is that the filenames on the SD card aren't actually encrypted.
    12-31-16 09:49 PM
    So data encrypted on the device will prevent hackers access to all files on the device and SD card if I select the option. Good to know.

When ever I hear on the news about the risk of how hackers are accessing mobile phones, or protecting your personal data they never show a BlackBerry 10 device. It's always iPhone or Android.

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Think in terms of where the data is at any particular time. There is the data stored on the device (at rest) and the data being transmitted or received (in transit). There is also the data being processed on the device by the device system or application. There is also the breakdown of the transit, such as sending device to server, then server to receiving device.

Data encryption at rest prevents, or is intended to prevent, someone from being able to read the data if they have the device and extract the data from device memory. This will not prevent a malicious app or compromised OS from reading the data.

This encryption of data at rest is what was in the news a great deal with the Apple case. It is end-to-end encryption of data in transit that is in the news a lot now because of Whatsapp and some other messaging apps.

Ordinarily nowadays when you use email, for example, your email client is probably set to use a secure connection, and your email is encrypted between your client and the server. That doesn't mean the email is encrypted while transiting the server or residing on the server. It also doesn't guarantee that your email is encrypted between the server and the receiving client(s). The purpose of end-to-end encryption is to provide for data encryption entirely from sending device to receiving device. But, note, that is just for the data in transit. The data at rest and being processed on either device is not protected by end-to-end encryption.
    01-01-17 06:01 AM