This seems like the next step in gesture control. Surely it's coming.

Imagine, being able to trace a C on your screen to open your calendar. Does drawing a big O open maps and take you to the nearest donut shop or does it take you to the nearest sex toy shop?
    04-07-14 07:46 AM
    LMAO
    I would assume a directory would have to be set up in your phone's OS to take you to the calendar!
    04-07-14 07:51 AM
    Yes, unless it's been part of the plan from the start I can imagine it being very difficult to do.

An interim step might be something like predefining a couple of currently unused but simple gestures that can be assigned custom functions by users.
    04-07-14 08:43 AM
    Check out the app "Sweep" in your AppWorld... does much of this already.
    04-07-14 08:44 AM
    Mentor graphics had a customizable gesture system over a decade ago. I believe it was worked into LessTif as well. And there is this as well. The problem is separating OS level gestures, peek, Hub, iconify, system menu, from application gestures. At the moment all OS gestures start on the frame around the screen. This is a very clean delineation for the simple gestures used by the OS. But if you wanted a 'C' gesture to take you to the Calendar from wherever you are it would have to be an OS level gesture and would have to be separable from an application level 'C' gesture (which could be implemented today by an app developer). I personally don't subscribe to the notion that BB10 has a high learning curve, but if you have to start training users that a 'C' starting on the frame may mean something different from a 'C' not starting on the frame you would be getting pretty complex. The code to be able to implement programmable gestures on the desktop has been around for over ten years, but you don't see much use of it.
    04-07-14 08:59 AM
    The functionality is there... it looks great in fact, but the implementation is weak.

I'm not blaming the dev, you have to work with what you've got right? Clearly I think the core idea is solid.

In this case it really has to be baked into the OS to hit. The app looks great as a proof of concept but nobody wants to have to launch an app to launch an app.
    04-07-14 09:05 AM