Google android will be releasing 64 bits os too for its android phone too.
    Yes, I heard from a very good source that they have been working on this for some time. This makes perfect sense since armv8 was announced last year. I would guess Microsoft must be working on theirs also.

I don't think 64-bit SoC are generally available yet, but it's only a matter of time.
    09-13-13 09:30 PM
    It's the early 90s console wars all over again.

Posted via CB10
    Ding ding ding!

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 10:10 PM
    Well. I dunno about you suckers but I just soldered a prototype 128bit CPU to my phone. I swapped the battery with a car battery in my backpack. And then decompiled, modified and recompiled the OS and all my apps to use 120 bit registers.

Why 120? Because I wanted to reserve 8 bits at all times for a custom flashlight app.

And before you get jealous, I upgraded the ram to 32GB (my phone is now 3 times thicker) and added 3x 64GB flash memory in RAID 0 (which meant replacing more parts on the mother board).

In full disclosure though I swapped the LCD with a 50 inch LCD display that folds into a newspaper.

BUT I got it all for free with a 10 year contract with a big carrier. So I'm fine with it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-13-13 10:32 PM
    Yes, I heard from a very good source that they have been working on this for some time. This makes perfect sense since armv8 was announced last year. I would guess Microsoft must be working on theirs also.

I don't think 64-bit SoC are generally available yet, but it's only a matter of time.
    Intel has a 64bit Soc but it's not yet been picked up by an phone manufacturers

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 02:09 AM
    Intel has a 64bit Soc but it's not yet been picked up by an phone manufacturers

Posted via CB10
    Oh, yeah, you're right. I was thinking ARM. I wonder if anyone will solid volume will go Intel soon. Might have been interesting if BB had made a deal with Intel.
    09-14-13 08:11 AM
    This is irrelevant because these apps don't even use 32 bit wide registers let alone needing the 64 bit which is entirely unnecessary...
    32 and 64 bit are both very useful in video operations if only for the wider registers for bit and byte wise operations. You do often find yourself needing to multiply two 32 bit values fairly routinely, the product of which is of course a 64 bit value. That can all be done with a 32 bit CPU and hidden from the programmer by the compiler anyway though.

Of course, custom hardware does most of the encoding these days if you are going to stick with one or two supported codecs.

However, there is almost no reason to not use 64 bit integer registers in hardware design these days anyway. The register file ports are already likely larger than 32 or even 64 bits (processors with vector facilities could make use of wider internal busses) and the floating point register file is 64 bits wide.

If you really wanted to, you could do a complete 64 bit instruction set implementation and leave all of the internals 32 bits wide and just do two passes through the ALU as needed when a 64 bit operation occurs, but the amount of logic saved is almost nothing these days.
    09-15-13 04:11 AM

For game development the 64-Bit CPU will be quite nice paired with the great GPU in that device. They probably gained a decent performance bump on the 5S because of the upgraded 64-Bit SoC for things like their camera software, image manipulation, media encoding/decoding, etc.
    OpenGL ES 3.0 is 32bit, so I'm not sure how 64-bit will help graphics at this point.
    09-15-13 03:33 PM
    Majority is not all. There is still logic that is CPU bound, which will benefit. However that may only apply to certain genres of games. Once the graphics engines are ported it won't be anything to discuss, anyways.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    09-15-13 03:42 PM
    We all know in apples case it's marketing hype anyway.

Lets get bbry to add a 128bit capable CPU and we can be done with it .

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-15-13 06:38 PM
    Until Apple and its app developers start writing apps in 64-bit I don't see any benefit of iPhones having 64-bit processors. Basically 0 performance gain.

Posted via CB10
    Apple already has converted its apps to 64bit. App developers who can use the performance will not be far behind. Apple's compiler has supported 64bit for a while (the Mac OS is 64bit).
    09-15-13 06:58 PM
    Well. I dunno about you suckers but I just soldered a prototype 128bit CPU to my phone. I swapped the battery with a car battery in my backpack. And then decompiled, modified and recompiled the OS and all my apps to use 120 bit registers.

Why 120? Because I wanted to reserve 8 bits at all times for a custom flashlight app.

And before you get jealous, I upgraded the ram to 32GB (my phone is now 3 times thicker) and added 3x 64GB flash memory in RAID 0 (which meant replacing more parts on the mother board).

In full disclosure though I swapped the LCD with a 50 inch LCD display that folds into a newspaper.

BUT I got it all for free with a 10 year contract with a big carrier. So I'm fine with it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Pffffffff.....
    I had that last year.
    Since I am now wheelchair bound from the crippling weight of the device, i use a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:53 PM
    No, about 3GB. Parts of the address space is used for IO which means if you have 4GB you cannot use it all so the benefit of 64-bits starts around the 3GB mark.
    No, it's 4GB.

IO mapping is a very small piece of the space and doesn't materially detract from it. Consider that a 1080 x 720 display (a display is the largest mapper of such resource) requires less than 1MB of actual physical memory space to map it (assuming an 8 bit display of course) which is immaterial. If you double-buffer the display (which is frequently done) it's 2MB - still immaterial.

This isn't a system board with plug-in card slots that potentially have large address spaces to map.

When we start to see demand for > 4GB RAM devices then moving to a 64 bit processor will make sense. If BlackBerry gets serious about true "mobile computing", however, it will come sooner rather than later -- but simply for that reason.
    09-15-13 11:18 PM
    Apple already has converted its apps to 64bit. App developers who can use the performance will not be far behind. Apple's compiler has supported 64bit for a while (the Mac OS is 64bit).
    I'm not sure how much performance is there to be gained. The additional registers is important, but a 32 bit CPU with added registers and register-renaming would see a similar benefit.

Again, the benefit of 64 bit seems marginal. It's the non-64bit related improvements in the A7 that are actually the big deal.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 11:31 PM
    I'm not sure how much performance is there to be gained. The additional registers is important, but a 32 bit CPU with added registers and register-renaming would see a similar benefit.

Again, the benefit of 64 bit seems marginal. It's the non-64bit related improvements in the A7 that are actually the big deal.

Posted via CB10
    I agree

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 03:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps in the short term. The benefits of 64bit will become apparent over the next few years, particularly on the iPad.
    09-16-13 11:01 AM
65 123