When I log into Dropbox from my Passport browser I get an immediate email from Dropbox saying -

"Unknown Login from Safari on Mac X".

The first time it scared me so I changed my password but I've discovered it's me, not some dude trying to login on a Mac.

What's up?

He Hates These Cans! - Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Passport
    12-22-16 09:45 PM
    It's because the BB10 browser has Safari in the User Agent in order to get some web pages to work.

Want to know how screwed up some web things can be? Almost every browser reports itself first as "Mozilla" (the internal development name of Netscape Navigator) - even IE and Chrome do this - because so many websites in the early days were designed for Navigator - and wouldn't work correctly, or at all sometimes, with anything else. As the competing browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) appeared, they had to pretend to be Navigator (Mozilla) in order for a lot of servers to properly serve them web data, even long after Netscape Navigator was discontinued.

And since almost no web developers code their sites for BB10's browser, or test with it, BB10 has to lie and say it is mobile Safari or many websites wouldn't work for it.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    12-23-16 12:20 AM
    It's because the BB10 browser has Safari in the User Agent in order to get some web pages to work.

Want to know how screwed up some web things can be? Almost every browser reports itself first as "Mozilla" (the internal development name of Netscape Navigator) - even IE and Chrome do this - because so many websites in the early days were designed for Navigator - and wouldn't work correctly, or at all sometimes, with anything else. As the competing browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) appeared, they had to pretend to be Navigator (Mozilla) in order for a lot of servers to properly serve them web data, even long after Netscape Navigator was discontinued.

And since almost no web developers code their sites for BB10's browser, or test with it, BB10 has to lie and say it is mobile Safari or many websites wouldn't work for it.
    Well explained. Cheers!

He Hates These Cans! - Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Passport
    12-23-16 12:35 AM
    Because BB10 uses the Webkit layout engine.
    rthonpm likes this.
    12-23-16 01:42 AM