Hello,

There's one big thread about native apps still maintained, and various threads one the various ways to setup Android apks through yalp, aptoide and cobalt's phenomenal work.

But it's almost spelunking work to find the info in the forums. And we know that BlackBerry world will go away eventually, so we should think about having a repository for bb10 apps.

(developers, if you aren’t making money off your apps, contributing to the community with source code on GitHub is a fantastic way to ensure someone might jump in and fix the bugs you no longer have time to fix and tremendous code samples)

Such repository would hold the binary archive of the BlackBerry world apps (instead of google docs/mega/dropbox/etc)

It could also store apks, like apkmirror, for the android apps that work ootb and patched apks could be proposed, perhaps as links, when such apks are made available.

It's just something i'm thinking of more and more.

Hate to phrase it like that but, a museum for these apps make it a place to look for them after bb10 officially EOL.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-18 08:06 AM
    Thoughts.... been a few post on this already, probable in the next two years someone will think that someone ought to do this again, and again, and again.

CrackBerry can't as you'd be dealing with developers approval and probable general copyright rules from BlackBerry. Not to mention the time and resources it would take to build, confirm approval from each developer and then host and maintain such a "store". Not to mention coming up with some sort of solution for paid apps.... or should developers at that point go back and make their apps all free out of the kindness or their heart?

In the end, it's not clear what all they are shutting down.... you might find in two years that BBOS and BB10 really are dead.
    01-19-18 09:46 AM
    Eeeek. I guess it will be a messy collection of mega/dropbox/box/... links then!

Posted via CB10
    01-19-18 11:26 AM
    Thoughts.... been a few post on this already, probable in the next two years someone will think that someone ought to do this again, and again, and again.

CrackBerry can't as you'd be dealing with developers approval and probable general copyright rules from BlackBerry. Not to mention the time and resources it would take to build, confirm approval from each developer and then host and maintain such a "store". Not to mention coming up with some sort of solution for paid apps.... or should developers at that point go back and make their apps all free out of the kindness or their heart?

In the end, it's not clear what all they are shutting down.... you might find in two years that BBOS and BB10 really are dead.
    Github repository is free, and beside source code, can be used for files like apk, bar... there are already some BlackBerry projects there but quite few.

When EOL come closer or BBworld close down, developers will no receive payments anymore, so I also think that they should start considering to move to opensource in that future, and why not rely on donations. I think it will be a nice behave of developer for all those people who bought their app.
    In fact I don't see the benefit in keeping close the source code when it is unprofitable.

Unfortunately BB native apps are more dependant of BBworld than android APKs, so it is quite scary to think about the future and installing new apps when bbworld close.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-18 09:26 AM
    For symbian the store was burried 6-7 years ago if I remember right. We (still use my pureview 808) have two curated app repositories , One more advanced (Applist) with maybee 100 apps and one with much more apps in the form of a repository (Sistore). Both have their own symbian apps, so it's easy to browse and install. There are still some payapps, they use some in-app paying or use regcode. A few new apps come up, a few updates, like Fahrplan, the excellent public transport planner, also in Blackberry store.

Posted via CB10
    dpgo likes this.
    01-21-18 03:00 AM
    You don't even neeed a "store" or app store nowadays. The developers can develop and offer their apps, and still get paid for their work. Have a look at Bandcamp, they do this with music.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 04:42 AM
    Guess the idea is the same, to offer a collection of apps/music or whatever at a common place.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 09:49 AM
    I think functional websites that you can download is the best way to go on this platform.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 11:44 AM