Hey all,

Has anyone been able to get the new covid-19 notification app made by health Canada onto our beloved bb10 os phones?

It uses Bluetooth to scan/talk to nearby phones.

Thanks!
    08-03-20 12:34 PM
    Hey all,

Has anyone been able to get the new covid-19 notification app made by health Canada onto our beloved bb10 os phones?

Thanks!
    Definitely will not work on any BB10 device. Period.
    08-03-20 12:37 PM
    Needs Android 6.0 and above
    08-03-20 12:53 PM
    You will be invisible to all those iPhone and Android users.....
    08-03-20 01:30 PM
    Well, actually with this app everyone is invisible to everyone else. The privacy is exceptional but efficacy is a big question. It works solely on BlueTooth code generation and has no location sharing whatsoever.
    08-03-20 02:15 PM
    Well, actually with this app everyone is invisible to everyone else. The privacy is exceptional but efficacy is a big question. It works solely on BlueTooth code generation and has no location sharing whatsoever.
    I'm 100% for these technology solutions for contact tracing....

Think the privacy over safety has skewed the wrong way. But it only works if the majority - if not all, are doing it. Which would mean government would need to enforce it in some way. It's why Australia COVIDSafe App that was released back in May, is irrelevant today. But places like Hong Kong, China, Taiwan have had much more sucess keeping their numbers down now.

But you have people here in the USA protesting having to wear a mask in a big box store.... no way your going to get enough support for "tracing" apps. (I do understand many peoples concerns... but which is worse?)

In the end we seem to be happy with the death rates and with the economy dying... as long as no one tries to force us to do something. Have to wonder what the infection rate and death rate would need to be? Anyway, right now everyone is hoping for a vaccination to solve the problem.... not sure what plan B is.
    A Noise Annoys likes this.
    08-03-20 02:51 PM
    I'm 100% for these technology solutions for contact tracing....

Think the privacy over safety has skewed the wrong way. But it only works if the majority - if not all, are doing it. Which would mean government would need to enforce it in some way. It's why Australia COVIDSafe App that was released back in May, is irrelevant today. But places like Hong Kong, China, Taiwan have had much more sucess keeping their numbers down now.

But you have people here in the USA protesting having to wear a mask in a big box store.... no way your going to get enough support for "tracing" apps. (I do understand many peoples concerns... but which is worse?)

In the end we seem to be happy with the death rates and with the economy dying... as long as no one tries to force us to do something. Have to wonder what the infection rate and death rate would need to be? Anyway, right now everyone is hoping for a vaccination to solve the problem.... not sure what plan B is.
    Not just the USA. Germany just had a big anti mask protest in Berlin.
    08-03-20 02:55 PM
    Have to wonder what the infection rate and death rate would need to be?
    Someday when the BIG one comes (ie extremely lethal virus) perhaps you may see the complete downfall of a nation. This is good practice for when that time comes. I can see asian nations pulling through when we, here, in North America falter simply because we refuse to wear a DAMN mask.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    08-03-20 03:11 PM
    Hey all,

Thanks!
    Android 6.0+ and iOS 13.5+ devices only
    08-03-20 03:35 PM
    yeah just trying to do my part here in Toronto.

My elderly father daily's his q10 - can't text on a non qwerty with his trembling hands - so I wanted him to be safe and get notified in case a zombie....I mean infected person is near.

edit: hopefully some bb10 os guru figures out a workaround (as they have with almost everything else so far!)
    there are what?, 100,000+ bb10 devices out there in the wild?
    Last edited by Phillip st; 08-03-20 at 06:19 PM. Reason: add more
    Crusader03 likes this.
    08-03-20 06:18 PM
    yeah just trying to do my part here in Toronto.

My elderly father daily's his q10 - can't text on a non qwerty with his trembling hands - so I wanted him to be safe and get notified in case a zombie....I mean infected person is near.

edit: hopefully some bb10 os guru figures out a workaround (as they have with almost everything else so far!)
    there are what?, 100,000+ bb10 devices out there in the wild?
    Yeah. Given BlackBerry helped in the security aspect of the app, they probably looked at the cost/benefit, and figured it doesn't make any economic sense to include BB10. Seems like your Dad's only option is a K1 or K2.
    08-03-20 08:22 PM
    1.2 million downloads in the first 4 days according to a news report tonight. That's pretty good for a country the size of Canada but not all provinces have accepted the app for their use.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...-app-1.5049847
    howarmat likes this.
    08-03-20 09:11 PM
    The Corona app in Germany has now been downloaded by more than 18 million people. Voluntarily! Without compulsion!

I think the reason for this was that the app is based on a decentralized collection of data. It is also based on a responsible government policy, which, unlike other governments on the American continent, has fought Corona from the very beginning and informed people about it. Not least because of this, society has a higher level of factual knowledge about the virus.

So 20,000 people are welcome to take advantage of the freedom to demonstrate and protest against the measures and to deny the existence of the Corona virus. There are idiots everywhere, sometimes more, sometimes less. And in some countries even idiots were elected president.
    08-04-20 12:40 AM
    The Corona app in Germany has now been downloaded by more than 18 million people. Voluntarily! Without compulsion!

I think the reason for this was that the app is based on a decentralized collection of data. It is also based on a responsible government policy, which, unlike other governments on the American continent, has fought Corona from the very beginning and informed people about it. Not least because of this, society has a higher level of factual knowledge about the virus.

So 20,000 people are welcome to take advantage of the freedom to demonstrate and protest against the measures and to deny the existence of the Corona virus. There are idiots everywhere, sometimes more, sometimes less. And in some countries even idiots were elected president.
    I agree for some aspects with you, but let me say how the idiots are also dramatically increasing in Germany.... Mr Attila, no vax, extrem left and extreme right, people believing to all the bull**** of the world all together, also supported by politics. I live in Germany and I see the reality without any political prejudice or "Deutschland über alles" approach... The reality it is not what the media in Germany share (absolutely ilarious pro government media...at national level), because the media in Germany try to hide what happens in terms of migrations, mafia, money laundry, and so on...and I see many people do not giving a **** about the Corona. But this was also in February and March. And to see what the reality was you had to speak with doctors or watch Anne Will show to hear how the hospitals were not prepared at all in terms of basic protection for the doctors and lack of personnel to face the Corona still in March/April.

Let me clear (personal opinion), that when 20000 people demonstrate without respecting the rules during a Pandemie, it is not a sign of freedom, but how the State is weak. Same as for the concert of neo Nazis in Thuringen. Is it freedom to allow thousand people to meet and celebrate Nazism? What if tomorrow they do the Turkish grey wolves in Berlin or some crazy Christian sect?

To be correct we should also report that the German Corona app did not work on many smartphone...maybe you can be more technical than me. The fact that the people downloaded does not mean that they are using it.

Liebe Grüße and thank you for your support with BB.
    08-04-20 02:15 AM
    Yeah ;-P
    And I'm definitely love that aspect in live, feels like a privilege being outside that stuffy box ;-)

 Classic /  Passport /  OS10.3.3.3216
    08-05-20 08:58 AM
    And yep that the whole point of that German cvovis-app in a nutshell ;-)

There are Absolut no official numbers apart from the download counting!
    neither the health-Gov nor the RKI nor any other of the once in charge do know how many people actually using that highly expensive developed Covid-app, because they can't count it, no figures available!
    Nevertheless there are some figures that show how much that "digital Covid-app subsidy for the German Telekom and SAP company" actually did eat up the tax payer and this figures are high very high, specially the Hotline and after support contract, plus a substantial amount for TV advertising and PR, which is more than double the cost of the development of the app it self!

On to of that the only other figure published is the amount of people who actually had the certified code given from the RKI the the people who are infected, the once entitled to add their individual infection code in to the app, and that number was around 300 a few weeks ago!
    But that does not say if this people actually did add their Covid warn code in to the app it self, because that's up to them and for free will, so even if this infected people had the code to add, doesn't mean they had added it to warn other people at all.

The thing is the Gov nor RKI can't check it!
    They don't know!

The only thing the know is that this app was cost intensive and needs to be defended as successful regardless.. draw your own picture!

There are around 85mil people in Germany!
    There where only 1.8mil downloads including the double and treble downloads!
    Nobody can check how many active user!
    Nobody can tell, nobody knows ;-)
    What we do know that this corona-app is a black hole sucking up and burning down politicians reputation!

My two pence on that issue... ;-P

08-05-20 12:40 PM
    And yep that the whole point of that German cvovis-app in a nutshell ;-)

There are Absolut no official numbers apart from the download counting!
    neither the health-Gov nor the RKI nor any other of the once in charge do know how many people actually using that highly expensive developed Covid-app, because they can't count it, no figures available!
    Nevertheless there are some figures that show how much that "digital Covid-app subsidy for the German Telekom and SAP company" actually did eat up the tax payer and this figures are high very high, specially the Hotline and after support contract, plus a substantial amount for TV advertising and PR, which is more than double the cost of the development of the app it self!

On to of that the only other figure published is the amount of people who actually had the certified code given from the RKI the the people who are infected, the once entitled to add their individual infection code in to the app, and that number was around 300 a few weeks ago!
    But that does not say if this people actually did add their Covid warn code in to the app it self, because that's up to them and for free will, so even if this infected people had the code to add, doesn't mean they had added it to warn other people at all.

The thing is the Gov nor RKI can't check it!
    They don't know!

The only thing the know is that this app was cost intensive and needs to be defended as successful regardless.. draw your own picture!

There are around 85mil people in Germany!
    There where only 1.8mil downloads including the double and treble downloads!
    Nobody can check how many active user!
    Nobody can tell, nobody knows ;-)
    What we do know that this corona-app is a black hole sucking up and burning down politicians reputation!

My two pence on that issue... ;-P

I think I get the point of a covid app. Not something I would label as successful (even if it is) man I wish my local gym was open

Posted via CB10
    08-05-20 08:01 PM
    still time bb10 os guru's! save some bb10 lives .... hack/port/tweak/nemory/crack/fork/cobalt this covid app for us!
    08-06-20 06:15 PM
    still time bb10 os guru's! save some bb10 lives .... hack/port/tweak/nemory/crack/fork/cobalt this covid app for us!
    It just isn't possible. Forget the fact that it only runs on Android 6 and above, it uses Bluetooth - which the BB10 Android Runtime has almost no control over.
    08-06-20 06:18 PM
    When you start seeing people really using this to trace COVID.... then it will be an issue, and you'll need to get a modern phone.

But outside of a few Asian countries that have governmental enforcement... these apps aren't supported well enough by the public to matter.

In the west we can't get people to wear masks without it being a "rights" issue.... you can forget tracing apps.
    08-07-20 07:43 AM
    these apps aren't supported well enough by the public to matter.
    Citation needed. Remains to be seen (research not complete) if non-mandatory enrollment/uptake will make any difference, large or small, on the prevention or spread of this virus.
    you can forget tracing apps.
    I disagree. Depends on the app and the informing/education of the public. While I agree that you will never get 100% enrollment in an app such as this due to privacy concerns, you may get a large enough number to make a small difference. Every little bit helps and this is just one small tool to aid in the task ahead. Buy us some time for vaccines, therapeutics.
    08-07-20 09:27 AM
    It's amazing to me that people will install FacePlant or Instagram or any number of social media apps and then complain that an app such as Covid Alert is too much of a "privacy" concern. Covid Alert does have privacy concerns but it is beacon-based and not location-based which needs to be thoroughly explained to populations by governments AND independent watchdog entities.
    conite likes this.
    08-07-20 09:39 AM
    It's amazing to me that people will install FacePlant or Instagram or any number of social media apps and then complain that an app such as Covid Alert is too much of a "privacy" concern. Covid Alert does have privacy concerns but it is beacon-based and not location-based which needs to be thoroughly explained to populations by governments AND independent watchdog entities.
    Omg this.
    08-07-20 09:46 AM
    Citation needed. Remains to be seen (research not complete) if non-mandatory enrollment/uptake will make any difference, large or small, on the prevention or spread of this virus.

I disagree. Depends on the app and the informing/education of the public. While I agree that you will never get 100% enrollment in an app such as this due to privacy concerns, you may get a large enough number to make a small difference. Every little bit helps and this is just one small tool to aid in the task ahead. Buy us some time for vaccines, therapeutics.
    100% I wish everyone, or enough would use it (researchers at Oxford said 60% would need too). I think it could work.

But I'm going off data from few countries & US States that have released "optional" Covid Tracing Apps,

France and Australia, both choose months ago to not use the Google- Apple options - as a result both have been plagued by performance issues and huge drain on battery life.... hundreds of thousands have uninstalled them. Neither countries seems to be having any sucess with the apps.

Virginia just started using an app that does utilize the Apple-Google approach. Have to see how things work out.

Utah's has had a non Google-Apple design app for months.... But “We’ve learned over the course of the past three months that location tracking isn’t popular,” state epidemiologist Dr. Angela Dunn said Thursday (first of July). “And as a result, it hasn’t really been helpful to our contact-tracing efforts.” Which is why last month they turned off the apps location-tracking functions.. in the hopes people will use it.

My issue is I live in Florida (no app yet here), in a tourist town.... which we are still getting lots and lots of tourist. Even if Florida adopts their own app, folks from other states aren't going to show up. The US should have done a national App IMHO...

For some that think apps are cheap or easy....
    Virginia paid SpringML $229,000 to develop the Covidwise app.
    Utah spent $2.75 million to purchase the Healthy Together app and is paying $300,000.00 monthly maintenance fee. Whole contract is worth over $6 Million.

Have to wonder if the difference is Apple-Google just made it easier?
    08-07-20 11:21 AM
    as a result both have been plagued by performance issues and huge drain on battery life..
    This was a major concern of mine but after testing OUR app for nearly a week, I've found very little problem with battery drain and it does not affect my need to charge more often (still only once at night) but then again I'm not out and about much these days so I can turn off BT when I'm inside. On the times I have been food shopping etc., it has been no problem at all.
    For some that think apps are cheap or easy....
    Virginia paid SpringML $229,000 to develop the Covidwise app.
    Utah spent $2.75 million to purchase the Healthy Together app and is paying $300,000.00 monthly maintenance fee. Whole contract is worth over $6 Million.
    Cost is just a drop in the bucket when compared to the billions or trillions that have been spent with regards to propping up industry and unemployment benefits and programs etc.
    The US should have done a national App IMHO...
    Absolutely agree that a national strategy is needed and not JUST for an app. This goes for all other measures as well. Altho each of our provinces has autonomy in implementing measures/timetables etc., our national government has responded quite well with tools and info that the provinces have followed for the most part. This is probably why we have done relatively well (to date, anyway) compared the the US https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033 . Since we are neighbors with the longest undefended border in the world and intertwined economically to an extent unequaled anywhere else on earth, this is no small accompishment. Because our government has gained trust throughout the handling of this nightmare, people here seem to be buying into this app as just one more tiny measure to help out. I'm not sure of the numbers here, and only anecdotally can I suggest that people are keen to install it. The biggest problem here seems to be complaints that their device is too old to use the app.
    08-07-20 11:46 AM