Hello everybody! I'm about to take the plunge into downloading my first ever leaked OS. Of course, I will be downloading the most recent 10.2 leak. I have a few questions before starting, though.

1. Is it worth installing a 10.2 leak or should I just wait for T-Mobile USA to officially release it?

2. If I do install a leak, when the official OS comes out, will I have to perform a backup before doing an OTA update?

3. All I have to do is perform a backup through Link, right? How do I decrypt (?) my media card then?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    09-08-13 07:02 PM
    Hello!

Hello everybody! I'm about to take the plunge into downloading my first ever leaked OS. Of course, I will be downloading the most recent 10.2 leak. I have a few questions before starting, though.

1. Is it worth installing a 10.2 leak or should I just wait for T-Mobile USA to officially release it?

We don't know when 10.2 will be official. The latest leaks have been pretty stable, compared to a carrier release OS, there is almost no difference. That said, if you want to give it a go, no need ot worry. You can always roll back to whatever your carrier issued.

2. If I do install a leak, when the official OS comes out, will I have to perform a backup before doing an OTA update?

If your device detects the new OS, no need to backup. If it doesn't, then yes, backup, roll back, update, load backup.

3. All I have to do is perform a backup through Link, right? How do I decrypt (?) my media card then?

BEFORE you do anything, disable the encryption and remove the password. Else, the random thingie will be lost and removing the encryption won't be possible. After that, backup as usual.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    09-08-13 07:18 PM
    And how exactly do I disable the encryption/remove the password?

Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything EXACTLY right.
    09-08-13 07:21 PM
    1. 10.2 leak is worthy. Read the threads and load up.

2. By the time an official OS comes out you will be ahead with a new leak so no issue.

3. Backup with Link. Confirm the backup worked the install the leak. Restore data and applications separately.

Do not know about encryption. None on my card. The card is backed up without using Link.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    09-08-13 07:21 PM
    To remove encryption it's settings ,security and privacy ,encryption and make sure media card is off

Posted via CB10
    ClevelandBB likes this.
    09-08-13 07:25 PM
    And how exactly do I disable the encryption/remove the password?

Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything EXACTLY right.
    Well, if you managed to turn it on, I'd expect you to be able to turn it off! heh

Swipe from the top on the home screen/apps pannel > Settings > Security & Privacy > Encryption

Disable everything before you start.

PS: Funny enough, my SD was set to be encrypted. I do not recall doing that though...
    09-08-13 08:11 PM
    PS: Funny enough, my SD was set to be encrypted. I do not recall doing that though...
    Hmmm... same here. Just checked mine out of curiosity. Odd. I don't recall setting that either.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-08-13 08:20 PM
    Well, I WOULD install a leak, but my device won't backup with Link, and when I try to update Link to its latest version, it just doesn't do it.
    09-08-13 08:51 PM
    Well, I WOULD install a leak, but my device won't backup with Link, and when I try to update Link to its latest version, it just doesn't do it.
    Don't expect Link to connect to your device instantaneously. It takes a minute or two or three. Uninstall old BlackBerry Link software. Restart computer. Install the latest Link so. Start Link and let it fully load. Connect phone. Don't rush. Give your computer time to recognize the phones two different file locations Y and Z. Internal storage and SD Card storage. Then start backup.

Trusted Member
    09-08-13 10:05 PM
    Well I don't even use Link anymore. Sachesi can backup and restore just as well. If you get to the "can't have any more of this" with Link, give that a go!

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:35 PM
    Can one expect "better" results with restoring via sachese over link, or does it not matter? I only ask because restoring via link eventually caused account issues that prompted a wipe + fresh load. Imo a fresh load seems to be the best way to go in general when updating. But I'm just asking, I know everyone has different experiences. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:40 PM
    Can one expect "better" results with restoring via sachese over link, or does it not matter? I only ask because restoring via link eventually caused account issues that prompted a wipe + fresh load. Imo a fresh load seems to be the best way to go in general when updating. But I'm just asking, I know everyone has different experiences. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    I prefer fresh loads, but I have everything that matters sync to the cloud, so I never lose anything I need with a wipe.

Sachesi, for the two times I used its backup/restore features, worked well.

BlackBerry Link, crashed when I even asked for backups. I don't trust it much now lol (won't even go into syncing media).

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:45 PM
    Hmmm... same here. Just checked mine out of curiosity. Odd. I don't recall setting that either.
    On a few of the leaks it seems to be set on when I have loaded the os

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    09-09-13 08:38 PM
    On a few of the leaks it seems to be set on when I have loaded the os
    Yeah, that was a surprise. Good thing I caught that before my next leak install. A wipe would have created a bad situation.
    09-09-13 08:52 PM