Since the Amazon App Store announcement, there have been numerous posts about, will it have Google Services? Google offers a comprehensive app package that many consider essential. Our beloved Chris Umi expressed his love publicly which I don't blame him. People want these services.

Amazon launched it's smartphone Wednesday. A decent device by the way. If Amazon get Google Services, wouldn't we also get Google Services? With an improved runtime, optimized OS, and legitimately with permission to Android apps, I don't see why 10.3 owners couldn't have access.

What if Chen knows what Amazon has in the works in regards to their app store?

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 05:01 AM
    Amazon's app store is separate from Google's Play Store. With Amazon launching their phone I don't think we'll see any apps requiring Google services working. I'm under the impression Amazon will continue using their own store.
    But i could be wrong.
    06-20-14 05:22 AM
    Let me ask you this... isn't Google Services available on the iPhone? Does it really matter if it's Google Play?

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 06:08 AM
    Let me ask you this... isn't Google Services available on the iPhone? Does it really matter if it's Google Play?

Posted via CB10
    There was an agreement between Apple and Google for this.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 06:11 AM
    There was an agreement between Apple and Google for this.

Posted via CB10
    Yes there was. But if Amazon gain traction for their new phone, then there's no reason why the same shouldn't happen. Indeed, a combined Blackberry/Amazon market increases that possibility - which I would guess appeals to the two companies in terms of effectively creating an alliance.
    06-20-14 06:18 AM
    If we were going to see Google Play services come to Amazon it would have been announced with the phones. The only hope we ever have of seeing them is on the next iteration of the phone, but my guess is we will never see them.

As for BlackBerry, they made their play. With the Amazon store that should quash any rumors about Google Play services. They wouldn't have made this deal knowing they were going for Google certification. I'd say maybe the rumors were true that BB was talking with Google, but obviously it didn't work out. Google may have wanted something BB can't provide(such as run Android). Since BB is such a small player now it's easy for Google to demand whatever they want.
    06-20-14 06:26 AM
    An agreement between Google and Amazon won't help BlackBerry. The agreement will likely be for Amazon's phones specifically. BlackBerry will need to talk to Google.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 06:26 AM
    Google services on 10.3 would be a very good reason not to upgrade to 10.3 at all. If you want a Google services enabled phone...buy an android phone. BlackBerry is not going to have much of a future as an expensive launcher for unsecured android apps.

Posted via CB10
    marshall1727, pystha and PHughes like this.
    06-20-14 06:47 AM
    Google services on 10.3 would be a very good reason not to upgrade to 10.3 at all. If you want a Google services enabled phone...buy an android phone. BlackBerry is not going to have much of a future as an expensive launcher for unsecured android apps.

Posted via CB10
    Your point is invalid. As I stated above iPhone has Google Services enabled. Therefore, one does not have to get an android to enjoy Google apps....not Google Play....Google apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:43 AM
    An agreement between Google and Amazon won't help BlackBerry. The agreement will likely be for Amazon's phones specifically. BlackBerry will need to talk to Google.

Posted via CB10
    Why do you say this? I don't believe it's entirely depended on the phone, but rather the intelligence of the Google application.

Break it down for the people....if Amazon works out a deal with Google to bring over their apps (Drive, Hangouts, etc.), why wouldn't these apps work with with BlackBerry 10.3 devices?

Not arguing, just want to know...really for myself.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:51 AM
    My hunch is that Amazon will start bringing "Amazon Services" to match Google's offer. If you see there is a very interesting looking map app in their new phone, voice recognition in their Fire TV, they have cloud services, etc., I'm seeing Amazon getting in to be a very important competitor to Google in mobile consumer services.
    app_Developer and garrett1972 like this.
    06-20-14 09:20 AM
    Do any of the apps available on Amazon App Store require "Google Services" or "Google Play" to be functional? That's the #1 reason sideloaded Android apps don't work well on BB10 devices. Do companies re-package their apps for the Amazon store without those libraries?
    06-20-14 10:14 AM
    Do any of the apps available on Amazon App Store require "Google Services" or "Google Play" to be functional?
    NO.

Do companies re-package their apps for the Amazon store without those libraries?
    YES.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    dropgear and app_Developer like this.
    06-20-14 10:21 AM
    Your point is invalid. As I stated above iPhone has Google Services enabled. Therefore, one does not have to get an android to enjoy Google apps....not Google Play....Google apps.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it's Google play services enabled. It's just that Google agreed to make the apps without tieing them to Google services on iOS.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-20-14 10:23 AM
    What I don't understand in all this stuff is when and how the long time good relationship held between BlackBerry and Google got broken.. how come it got this way, when all time legacy devices even came with Google maps pre-installed, what happened to this marriage now that BlackBerry has the best OS???

BBM channel: C0040FF4D..... Proudly Z10 owner...
    06-20-14 11:08 AM
    I hate how people complain that Google services aren't available on bb, if you want good buy an Android and deal with the disorganized mobile environment. BlackBerry making a deal with Amazon was smart from bb's perspective, they just introduced their own phone, devs will flock and incentives will be good from amazon, now BlackBerry users may even have access to apps in amazon world and not in Google play (amazon may entice devs to make their apps exclusive). Can you imagine if that happened? Anyways, all good moves from bb.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan, PHughes and pystha like this.
    06-20-14 11:15 AM
    What I don't understand in all this stuff is when and how the long time good relationship held between BlackBerry and Google got broken.. how come it got this way, when all time legacy devices even came with Google maps pre-installed, what happened to this marriage now that BlackBerry has the best OS???

BlackBerry's market share went down tremendously, that happened.

And BlackBerry has the best OS according to you, me and BlackBerry fans.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-20-14 11:15 AM

It's probably along the lines of their criteria: They are trying to get their fragmentation under control as it is. They are trying to put a stop to these dual boot Windows/Microsoft units. If they make too many concessions to accommodate Blackberry, they'll have others like Bluestacks and Andy Emulator wanting special exemptions.

I'd venture a guess that part of their agreement with their other Android partners who pay to use Google Services is that anyone else who wants to use the services must make an exclusive "Google Android" device. I think if they could force their partners who skin Android to stop, they would as well. If Google were to open up their services too much, they'd already have Samsung running Tizen on all their phones and offering Google products without every saying the word Android again.

I just have a feeling Blackberry will never have a way to meet Google's criteria for their services and still run BB 10.
    06-20-14 12:30 PM

Google is a very competitive company, they saw a great opportunity to grow their market share by poaching a stagnant brands users. Removing support and accessibility to google was a strategy that has/is working. As BB market share dropped, and competition ramped up, Google saw the writing on the wall, less support for BB meant one less competitor in this lucrative market. I don't foresee that company doing anything to reconnect with BB. If BB grew to a double digit market size, they may be forced to establish a relationship, but that is a HUGE if.
    06-20-14 12:39 PM
    Quite simply put and I believe it has been mentioned in here. Amazon Apps does not require Google Services. There is a reason Amazon App store is attractive. Amazon use their own forked Android version Fire OS 3.5 is the latest and this doesn't have Google Services or even Google Play Store to my knowledge.

The Apps are indeed repackaged eliminating the requirement for Google Services. This also explains why some Apps are not available on Amazon Apps but they are on Google Play because these Apps are simply reliant on Google Services.

Lets not get carried away here with the whole Android or indeed Google thing. It's only an App store running on BlackBerry.
    rthonpm and walt63 like this.
    06-20-14 12:42 PM
    Thank you guy for taking my opinion in account and giving me such professional answers.

06-20-14 01:35 PM
    The fight is only to have more and more of good apps. Over that if they are free like on google play who cares from where are they coming... people won't give a damn if they come from BlackBerry World or Google play or from a search on a browser for. Apk format..
    I am a new blackberry user and I am loving my bb10..

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 12:41 PM
    Why in the world would you want Google on a Blackberry? I have a Blackberry because I do not want a company to track my phone. Why would you willingly give up your privacy? If you want to install an Android app, use Snap, sideload or use Amazon. To include Google services on a Blackberry is a lot like adding a screen door to a submarine.
    habs_fan and pystha like this.
    06-22-14 11:21 AM
    To include Google services on a Blackberry is a lot like adding a screen door to a submarine.
    Don't give the MoD cost saving ideas like that...

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 11:25 AM
    No way and no how. If you value your privacy, then you will want to avoid Google like the plague.
    PHughes likes this.
    06-22-14 11:39 AM
45 12