BlackBerry has talked a lot of "mobile computing" and I've never understood why BB10 phones don't come with a full "desktop mode" when connected to the HDMI port.

To my knowledge no smartphone manufacturer has properly realised this capability yet.

Imagine plugging your Q10 in to a HDMI monitor, and for it to output a beautiful 1920x1080 "desktop mode" display, with apps like email, BBM, maps and browser optimised for a landscape desktop monitor display. Sync with a mouse and keyboard, and you'd be ready to go.

In fact we know already that BB10 supports keyboards and mouse input - the only link missing in the chain is tweaking the standard BB apps to have an alternate layout, optimised for HD displays.

I'm not talking about mirroring, or showing your phone display on the big screen, I'm talking about a proper "desktop computer", in your pocket. In fact the phone's touch screen could even double as a track pad.

The more I think about it, the more I'm baffled that this simply hasn't been done yet.

Could that be what BlackBerry Blend is? A desktop version of BB10 that you see when you plug your phone into a HDMI display?
    06-25-14 02:12 AM
    BB doesn't want it to be 'done' yet..... Mobile first, then the rest. That's all I got to say about it... for now.
    06-25-14 03:02 AM
    BB doesn't want it to be 'done' yet..... Mobile first, then the rest. That's all I got to say about it... for now.
    Thanks for the reply!

It's interesting, but I think it's foolish to wait. Give it six months and Android may do it, or Windows Phone.

This is a feature that BlackBerry could implement fairly quickly - they have the hardware on the market that supports it, and BB10 is already built for keyboard and mouse input - all it would take is a new skin for core BB apps (plus the ability for developers to skin their apps for Desktop optimisation too).

And it's something that no one else is doing! A market advantage!

It's incredibly frustrating to hear you suggest BB are considering it but biding their time. I don't really think they have the time to bide.
    06-25-14 04:12 AM
    September.
    g33kphr33k likes this.
    06-25-14 07:34 AM
    It's not about biding time, more getting the product right first time which BB haven't really done for the past couple of years now, have they?

You'll see full desktop before the year is out, read between the lines on all the documentation that has come out and the new apps, M2M, blend, fuse, etc. Kevin already does his Channel chats with a bluetooth connected mouse and keyboard with HDMI output.
    06-25-14 07:55 AM
    Tease!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 08:28 AM
    Are you talking about something more than the Blend that you demoed via your website and that BlackBerry made you take down?

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 08:29 AM