I'm a big fan of BB10 and i want to maintain my Classic the most time i could but in the other hand i want to have the sensation of be part of something that is in constant evolution and not in the past. I'm not going to keep my Classic just because it has BB10, if BB10 will be dead, i need to be updated and be part of something that has future.

Android One is a new operating system based on Android Lollipop to emerging markets that require low specs. It's easy to understand that the current BlackBerry devices are low end in hardware. If Chen don't want to loose his current user base and want to close BB10 he need to maintain the current user base somehow.

Do you think Android One could save the end of BB10 for current devices like Q10, Z30, Classic, etc.?
    09-27-15 10:55 AM
    Isn't that what the slider will be? bb hardware with a low end android system on it?
    09-27-15 10:57 AM
    Slider has Android not Android One, are different systems.
    09-27-15 11:00 AM
    Isn't that what the slider will be? bb hardware with a low end android system on it?
    The Slider is high-end by every mean possible. High-end hardware, highly customized and secure version of Android 5.1.1 (though we don't have any more details than that). While yes, it is low-end compared to BlackBerry10 (yeah, I'm still a big support guys don't forget that ), it is about as high-end as phones go these days. . .

Android One is truly a low-end implementation of Android optimized for low-end phones.

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-27-15 11:07 AM
    Android One is not a new operating system - these devices run much the same version of Android as Nexus devices do. Android One is simply a program created by Google to create a consistent Android experience for low-end devices in emerging markets. Google sets out very strict rules about what hardware can be used and what modifications can be made to the OS, to the point where all the phones are virtually identical.

I see what you're getting at, but if BlackBerry wanted to put Android on all prior BB10 devices, specs aren't the problem - plenty of Android devices have worse specs. The problem is simply that it's not likely to be worth the money.
    09-27-15 11:08 AM
    Android One is not a new operating system - these devices run much the same version of Android as Nexus devices do. Android One is simply a program created by Google to create a consistent Android experience for low-end devices in emerging markets. Google sets out very strict rules about what hardware can be used and what modifications can be made to the OS, to the point where all the phones are virtually identical.

I see what you're getting at, but if BlackBerry wanted to put Android on all prior BB10 devices, specs aren't the problem - plenty of Android devices have worse specs. The problem is simply that it's not likely to be worth the money.
    Correct, thanks for the clarification.

But Chen need to keep it's current clients if he wants to shut down BB10, i don't think many of us will buy a new phone. At the same time i think most of us, BB10 fans, don't want to keep the devices if BB10 disappear. He need to find a way to migrate the current users devices or many of us will simply go to other companies.

In my case the scenario is:
    1) If Chen don't provide an upgrade for current devices i will choose another non BlackBerry device;
    2) If Chen provide Android for current devices i'm able to test and maybe continue.
    09-27-15 11:16 AM
    No - Chen had explicitly stated in last couple of days he cannot compete with low end android and had no intention of trying.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-27-15 11:18 AM
    Correct, thanks for the clarification.

But Chen need to keep it's current clients if he wants to shut down BB10, i don't think many of us will buy a new phone. At the same time i think most of us, BB10 fans, don't want to keep the devices if BB10 disappear. He need to find a way to migrate the current users devices or many of us will simply go to other companies.

In my case the scenario is:
    1) If Chen don't provide an upgrade for current devices i will choose another non BlackBerry device;
    2) If Chen provide Android for current devices i'm able to test and maybe continue.
    Well, BB10 isn't disappearing just yet - at least one more OS update is coming in March. We'll see what happens after that, but chances are BlackBerry will have to continue support for BB10 for another couple years to keep enterprise customers happy.

As for migrating current users from BB10, bringing their custom version of Android to several different devices is simply too cost-prohibitive - that's a lot of devices to support without getting any immediate return on investment. They've added a few BB10-like features and security improvements to the Priv that might entice those customers, but I think what BlackBerry really wants to achieve with the Priv is capturing current Android users that might've used a BlackBerry in the past.
    Alexandre Faustino likes this.
    09-27-15 11:27 AM
    I think, at least, he should be responsible to bring Android to Classic and Passport. BlackBerry spent enormous resources developing this two devices, they are very recent and there is no excuses to drop them now. I think Passport could handle Android very well.
    09-27-15 12:50 PM
    Why not just increase the android app functionality within bb10?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 06:26 PM