BlackBerry 10 devices are shipped with the Amazon Appstore installed, hence it is reasonable to assume that these devices will be capable of handling apps from Amazon for at least the duration of BlackBerry 10's supported lifetime.

Since Amazon aren't bound by any OHA rules, couldn't they take on the further development and enhancement of the Runtime?
    02-06-16 03:55 PM
    What would Amazon get out of it?
    02-06-16 04:11 PM
    Well what version of the runtime is Amazon derping around with? I'm sure it's still Jelly Bean; same as BB10.
    02-06-16 04:16 PM
    Well what version of the runtime is Amazon derping around with? I'm sure it's still Jelly Bean; same as BB10.
    Amazon's current OS, Bellini, is based on Lollipop.

http://is.gd/ruHAx9

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    Attachment 390487
    tryfe likes this.
    02-06-16 05:24 PM
    I'd rather have Lollipop as an update then being stuck with Jellybean 4.3.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    02-06-16 06:27 PM
    Since Amazon aren't bound by any OHA rules, couldn't they take on the further development and enhancement of the Runtime?
    I don't think the OHA cares who does the coding - only whether or not it's on the device.

So that makes it a no-go for BB10.
    Last edited by conite; 02-06-16 at 07:46 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-16 07:30 PM
    Amazon has no reason at all to do any work on a runtime that doesnt run on their phones. they are barely do anything for their own platform
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-16 07:37 PM
    What would Amazon get out of it?
    People using the Amazon Appstore to log in to their Amazon account, to buy stuff. Basically the same as what they get out of the Kindle Fire.
    02-06-16 07:51 PM
    People using the Amazon Appstore to log in to their Amazon account, to buy stuff. Basically the same as what they get out of the Kindle Fire.
    But they already have that.

You want them to spend significant resources to update the Runtime so BlackBerry users can access an incrementally small additional number of apps.
    02-06-16 08:05 PM
    But they already have that.

You want them to spend significant resources to update the Runtime so BlackBerry users can access an incrementally small additional number of apps.
    Not really, just to keep the runtime (specifically the API level) up-to-date enough to continue running apps that we have when they are updated, and 'reasonable endeavours' to support future apps that may pop up in the Appstore.
    02-06-16 08:29 PM
    Not really, just to keep the runtime (specifically the API level) up-to-date enough to continue running apps that we have when they are updated, and 'reasonable endeavours' to support future apps that may pop up in the Appstore.
    I wonder what Amazon's output is for the BB10 deal.

I'm assuming it's a drop in a bucket.
    02-06-16 08:37 PM
    I wonder what Amazon's output is for the BB10 deal.

I'm assuming it's a drop in a bucket.

I wonder that too. Obviously I hope that it is enough for them to bother ...

How many BlackBerry 10 devices have been sold and are still in use? 10 million? If it's a number like that then it's got to be worth their while keeping the Appstore up to scratch.
    02-06-16 08:48 PM
    I wonder that too. Obviously I hope that it is enough for them to bother ...

How many BlackBerry 10 devices have been sold and are still in use? 10 million? If it's a number like that then it's got to be worth their while keeping the Appstore up to scratch.
    It would depend how many of those ten million are actually using the Amazon Appstore, and I sincerely doubt that it's a very good percentage.
    02-06-16 09:18 PM
    It would depend how many of those ten million are actually using the Amazon Appstore, and I sincerely doubt that it's a very good percentage.
    In that case, BlackBerry could allow Amazon to promote the Appstore on the devices somehow. Only fair considering that they have essentially abandoned any further development of BB 10.
    02-06-16 11:07 PM
    In that case, BlackBerry could allow Amazon to promote the Appstore on the devices somehow. Only fair considering that they have essentially abandoned any further development of BB 10.
    If the platform is dead, why bother developing the runtime then?
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-16 11:11 PM