Soooo... Here's my story and question.

A week ago my 16 month old Z10 died completely with no signs of life. I had my contacts all saved to my Sim card which I did quite frequently. I don't use google and I don't have them backed up there so don't ask why I didn't. I searched all over Toronto for a Z10 or Z30 I could buy outright on the spot and it was near impossible. I resorted to buying a motoG (kill me now) for $200 outright which isn't bad but coming from blackberry doesn't meet my standards. So I tried to copy my contacts from Sim to MotoG and only 5% approx got copied. I don't know if it was the blackberry that didn't copy them or the android that can't see them. Anyways, I figured my firechest backup of my contacts would be a good backup. Nope, nothing I download can open the dropbox file that firechest has made. I'm currently looking for a Z30 or HTC M8 and wondering if anyone know how to convert the firechest files to something this android can read for the time being...

Or is there something you can teach me to get my 800 contacts back.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-16-14 06:48 PM
    Your carrier should have a way to access your sim. have you talked to them about it?

About your "dead" Z10.
    How did it die and what steps did you take to try to revive it?
    Sometimes something as simple as the contacts on the Battery and the device get dirty.

A Q-tip and a drop of alcohol may be all you need to bring it back to life.

Can't really say without knowing more.
    But, it's unusual that it would "just" die!

Did you at least back up your device to BB Link on your Computer?
    If so, you've got your contact files on your PC!

Give me more info to go on.....
    07-16-14 07:00 PM
    You must have used encryption when you backed up with Fire Chest Backup.

If you remember the password, send me the file (support-at-firechest.com) and I will decrypt it on one of my test phones and email all the contacts back to you in vCard format. You can quite easily import vCard files into Android.

Should only take a few minutes to get you all your contacts back.

Posted via CB10
    Lostboy5151, habs_fan and mundo472 like this.
    07-16-14 07:50 PM
    You must have used encryption when you backed up with Fire Chest Backup.

If you remember the password, send me the file (support-at-firechest.com) and I will decrypt it on one of my test phones and email all the contacts back to you in vCard format. You can quite easily import vCard files into Android.

Should only take a few minutes to get you all your contacts back.

Posted via CB10

Well, there you go!!
    Nice offer.
    I support your app and hopefully a lot more folks will after seeing this fast reply!

Hope this works for the OP!
    habs_fan and FireChestApps like this.
    07-16-14 08:22 PM
    While writing the thread I had a feeling firechest dude was going to see this. Thanks man , greatly appreciated as I have already have sent you the file. You've helped more than once in the past.

As for the Z10 history... I have two batteries and I swap back and forth throughout the day. Last Thursday I took one battery out after the first died and swapped in the full one and Z10 powered up , got to 100℅ and then turned off. After that no signs of life. With battery in I tried for hours pressing buttons and swapping batteries and plugging it into the computer and wall charger with no success. The only thing I could get was a red flashing light if I hold the power down for 10 seconds while plugged into the computer. Beyond that I get nothing. I took it into a repair store and the guy tried powering up just the main chip or something and said there's nothing he could do. I bought it at launch so its not under warranty. I also have a 3year plan on it so my only choice is buying something outright hence why I'm stuck with a motoG

07-16-14 08:52 PM
    Please check your email. The file you sent is encrypted. Do you remember the password? Or perhaps do you have an idea of what the password might be?

Alternatively can you check Dropbox for a previous contact backup file with the extension ".zip" and email it to me?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 09:24 PM
    I'm wondering why you can't get at the contacts simply by inserting the card into your new phone.

Here's a screenshot from the Moto G user manual:

Attachment 285606

It indicates that sim card contacts should be imported automatically when you insert the simcard into the phone. It also provides advice for what to do if that doesn't happen automatically.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 07-17-14 at 10:11 PM.
    07-17-14 10:30 AM
    Ya that's what is supposed to happen.. About half of my contacts actually imported but most of them have no number attached , just a blank entry. I see the name and nothing else. My bad luck or a system fail , who knows ...

07-17-14 09:21 PM
    Sounds like your simcard was corrupted somehow. Bad luck.

I wish someone could create a list or table showing the features/details/limitations/issues associated with contact data when stored either on the simcard, in the "local" account, bbm, twitter, facebook, Link sync'd with MS Outlook, cable provider email, outlook.com, Gmail, etc. Hmmm...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 07-17-14 at 10:12 PM.
    07-17-14 09:38 PM
    How to move contacts from blackberry z10 device to sim card? Anyone can help me? Please

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 11:44 PM