Hi, here's the question:

Got the passport, with NFC obviously and got the contactless debit/credit card.

Is there any possibility to use phone for those contactless payments instead of card?

Do you need special app for that or there's a possibility for some sort of card reading an usage in the contactless terminals?

Thanks in advance

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    07-13-15 12:56 PM
    Depends where you are. Some banks in canada allow for tap to pay through their BlackBerry app. There's also the Rogers wallet, though not a great solution as it seems pricey and limited. Seems to be more resources put behind UGO Wallet. I've never tested it. Use the Timmy's app to tap at tim hortons a lot though

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    21stNow likes this.
    07-13-15 01:21 PM
    I'm in uk.

It would be great if I could use it as standard payment card, without any app...

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    07-13-15 03:21 PM
    It'd probably require your bank, your carrier and BlackBerry to cooperate on something.

I know that's how it is in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 03:27 PM
    In the UK it's not possible with a BlackBerry at this moment.
    EE have a app called tap and pay but they don't support BlackBerry, I heard it's not very good, I heard Vodafone make an app as well,
    Of course apple pay is meant to be launching tomorrow in the UK. We will see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 03:36 PM
    Hi, here's the question:

Got the passport, with NFC obviously and got the contactless debit/credit card.

Is there any possibility to use phone for those contactless payments instead of card?

Do you need special app for that or there's a possibility for some sort of card reading an usage in the contactless terminals?

Thanks in advance

I am using NFC payment (contactless payment) every day anywhere in Canada. It is convenient, fast and safe without a hitch. First of all, even though your Passport (or any other BB10 smartphones) has a NFC chip inside, you have to ask carrier to get a NFC SIM (Telus, Bell, Rogers, Virgin Mobile or Koodo). Then download "UGO Wallet" app from BBW. Once the app is installed and registration is done, tap the back of your Passport to your credit cards (currently, only TD Bank credit card or PC Bank credit card support it) to add your cards to the phone. When doing a payment at any stores that have payment terminals supporting Visa's PayWave or MasterCard's PayWave, just tap your Passport to the terminal, key in four-digit PIN, then the payment go through pretty quick. You do not need to pop out your plastic credit cards anymore.
    07-13-15 03:49 PM
    It'd probably require your bank, your carrier and BlackBerry to cooperate on something.

I know that's how it is in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    This. Outside of Canada, the partners needed to get it off the ground don't see the number of BB10 devices out there to get a solution working. Due to the separate NFC sim requirement the adoption in Canada is surely pretty low. Most people won't be bothered to go forward with the extra steps. ApplePay in the US is super easy to setup but still its not widely adopted amongst eligible IOS users.
    07-13-15 03:55 PM
    Visa PayPass and MasterCard PayWave are the defacto standard all across Canada for contactless payment for gas pumps, grocery stores, movie theatres, starbucks, Mcdonald's, the list goes on...(pretty much everywhere)

I personally use UGO App (awesome app) and others use their respective banking app. I love it everytime people are just so wowed that I was able to use my loyalty card first to get the points then...pay all from my Passport without once taking out my wallet.

The best was at a local tech/mobile store selling pretty much all Apple where I bought some cases for my nieces upcoming birthday.

I politely asked is this terminal tap and pay? The clerk said yes...and right in front of a lineup I slowly pulled out my Passport, and slowly placed it on top of the Credit Card Terminal and "Ding" the sound goes off along with words "Payment sent". Then I slowly lift my Passport making sure that all the Pro Apple employees see that BlackBerry logo including the folks in the line up.

Jaws drop and the "wow, never seen that before", "that's so cool"...then I politely say I know, this NFC tap and pay technology was out way, way back, when BlackBerry Bold came out back in May 2011.

I smile, take my receipt and leave.

On a side note...someone I know told me how Apple was telling the Royal Bank last year how they should implement their cards with Apple Pay during corporate discussions.

In the end...RBC basically gave Apple the finger (you an electronic corporation telling us a major bank how to run and manage money?)

Looks like since then, they've developed their own app and gave Apple Pay the boot.

Contactless payments with Passport instead of card?-img_20150713_135225.png

Contactless payments with Passport instead of card?-img_20150713_135236.png

Attachment 362335

Attachment 362336

Attachment 362337
    07-13-15 04:23 PM
    Ugo not available in uk.

Probably nothing's in uk

07-13-15 05:47 PM
    If there's an Android app from your bank that allows the contactless payment, then it'll probably work on your Passport.

The RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) android app works on 10.3.2 and it includes both the contactless payment feature as well as the feature to deposit a cheque by taking a picture of it.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 11:38 AM
    Here's the beauty of contactless payment "Tap and Pay" which is pretty much everywhere including all major gas station pumps.

Petro Canada with Mastercard PayPass/Visa Paywave...I use it all the time when I gas up and tap my Passport to Pay.

No Apple Pay needed here...just Visa and Mastercard that pretty much everyone has and use without Apple's greedy hands dipping into it.

Contactless payments with Passport instead of card?-img_20150714_221042.jpg

Contactless payments with Passport instead of card?-img_20150714_221042_edit.jpg

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-17-15 12:21 PM
    I am using NFC payment (contactless payment) every day anywhere in Canada. It is convenient, fast and safe without a hitch. First of all, even though your Passport (or any other BB10 smartphones) has a NFC chip inside, you have to ask carrier to get a NFC SIM (Telus, Bell, Rogers, Virgin Mobile or Koodo). Then download "UGO Wallet" app from BBW. Once the app is installed and registration is done, tap the back of your Passport to your credit cards (currently, only TD Bank credit card or PC Bank credit card support it) to add your cards to the phone. When doing a payment at any stores that have payment terminals supporting Visa's PayWave or MasterCard's PayWave, just tap your Passport to the terminal, key in four-digit PIN, then the payment go through pretty quick. You do not need to pop out your plastic credit cards anymore.
    Is there a limit on how much you can transact? I'd like to try for a big shopping trip but if the limit is 100 it's not much good to me

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 09:59 PM
    Is there a limit on how much you can transact? I'd like to try for a big shopping trip but if the limit is 100 it's not much good to me

Posted via CB10
    Yes, either $50 or $100 depending on the vendor. These are the early adoption rules to limit the market for fraud. ( i.e. not worth the effort to try and circumvent the security)

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 10:18 PM