Dear Community,

after updating to 10.2.1.537 and giving up the BB Link synchronization of my Outlook Calendar and Contacts, I have gone a different way and synced my gMail contacts with my phone instead. The result shocked me a little bit. As you can see on the screenshot below, neither a picture, nor a contact name show up at the very top. But the name appears above the message I receive from this particular person. What also is curious is that hub shows the contact properly.

Contact name not showing in conversation view-number-instead-name.jpg

When accesing a conversation after a long break, the contact name is substituted with a number just in a couple of seconds, so it shows up just for a little while. Pressing on a number offers either to add this contact to the list or to call it, as if it was not under my contacts. Resaving the contact information does not solve the problem.

Did anyone of you have or had a similar issue? How did you solve it?

Thank you for your replies,
    Mihal
    02-05-14 04:02 PM
    I had the same issue after installing a previous leak. I simply renamed the chat (I do that with many of them to distinguish them in my Hub). Open a chat, go to the overflow menu (3 vertical dots at bottom right) and select Name Chat. Call it whatever you like, either the contact's name as it appears in your Contact List, or something more creative. For instance, chats with my wife show as "Wife" instead of her name.

I'd give this a try before going to the hassle of reloading the OS or doing a wipe/restore. It could be something in your settings that didn't carry over properly, and you could end up in the same situation after a restore.
    Mihal Shopofolives likes this.
    02-06-14 06:47 AM
    Thank you for your creative idea. Obviously reloading the OS or wiping/restoring it is the least preferred option, but it still annoys me that it does not happen automatically as opposed to my previous experience on 10.2.

I will give it another try and post it as a bug on the main BB Forum with a hope that it will be payed attention to and ultimately gets solved in the next update/patch.
    02-06-14 08:04 AM
    Very strange stuff going on. Addying a new contact either on the phone or through gMail opened in the browser on my laptop solves the problem and the name of that person shows in the conversation without being substituted by a number, but deleting gMail account from my phone and setting it up again does not solve the problem for the rest, who were already there before. Some street magic here...
    02-06-14 03:46 PM
    Ultimately my problem got solved, but it required restoring to factory settings, returning backed-up data and setting up all of the accounts from the very beginning.

Since my contacts come through configured gMail account, the problem with conversations with unknown contacts comes back as soon as an account is deleted and reconfigured for the second time after the restore. Obviously a bug and hopefully they get over it.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    02-08-14 09:30 PM
    As a test if you add THAT contact in your address book it shows correctly?
    02-08-14 10:49 PM
    As a test if you add THAT contact in your address book it shows correctly?
    Nope, readding/resaving a contact did not solve the issue. Only for new conversations with people yet not in my contact list it worked smooth.

Deleting a contact did not lead to a name tag on the conversation within the hub disappear. As mentioned before, only restoring a backed up file and reconfiguring accounts in order to import contacts from scratch helped.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    02-09-14 06:39 PM