Hi Guys,

The more I read about BB10 contact management, the weirder it gets.

Under BB 7, once we turn on wireless synchronization with, say gmail, now you're facing with 1 set of contact. It simplifies your life.

Under BB 10, unless BB has formed the links among similar entries automatically, you will end up with different sets of contacts.

Under KB3444

Any contact that has been manually linked or unlinked at some point becomes ineligible for automatic linking. This helps prevent undoing any link corrections made by the user.
    After some time, how are you suppose to keep track which entries are linked manually and which aren't? This isn't making your life easier. It is suggested by the KB that we have to go back to the source for any editing.

Consider this:
    Year 0: manually link Lina & Lyna
    Year 2: Lina moved house. I edit the local entry. Since I'd forgotten that Lina's entry was manually linked, the gmail's copy is not changed.
    Year 3: blackberry was stolen. The package I sent was delivered to her old address, as it turned out the address I copied from my gmail is Year 0 data which is the old address.

How can I rely on BB10 to make my phonebook life easier?
    11-20-13 02:49 PM
    Hi Guys,

The more I read about BB10 contact management, the weirder it gets.

Under BB 7, once we turn on wireless synchronization with, say gmail, now you're facing with 1 set of contact. It simplifies your life.

Under BB 10, unless BB has formed the links among similar entries automatically, you will end up with different sets of contacts.

Under KB3444

After some time, how are you suppose to keep track which entries are linked manually and which aren't? This isn't making your life easier. It is suggested by the KB that we have to go back to the source for any editing.

Consider this:
    Year 0: manually link Lina & Lyna
    Year 2: Lina moved house. I edit the local entry. Since I'd forgotten that Lina's entry was manually linked, the gmail's copy is not changed.
    Year 3: blackberry was stolen. The package I sent was delivered to her old address, as it turned out the address I copied from my gmail is Year 0 data which is the old address.

How can I rely on BB10 to make my phonebook life easier?
    My contacts sync with no problem. Not sure how you are setup but I use Exchange Active sync. If I edit my Outlook contacts they propagate to my phone. If I edit my Z10 contacts they propagate to my Exchange/Outlook.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-20-13 02:53 PM
    I'm using gmail.

I've just came across 1 entry that I had populated with address, additional phone numbers from my device and the changes is not seen on gmail side.
    11-20-13 11:41 PM
    I was wondering why you didn't just fix the spelling of Lina or Lyna. If both the first name and last name match, BB10 will link them automatically, then you wouldn't have had this problem.

Here's another quote from the same KB article you cited:

Contacts will automatically form a link if they share the same information for any of the following:

• First and Last name
    • Email address
    • Social networking profile (for example, same LinkedIn, Twitter, or Facebook profile)
    • Mobile Phone number
    • PIN

Last edited by PatrickMJS; 11-21-13 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Fix typos
    11-21-13 09:59 AM