There is a debate going on in wpcentral after I had mentioned some concerns with the future of windows phone. Basically, what I'm worried about with the platform is the loss of stability and a loss of the vision of aggregation and simplicity. WP has me questioning where MS's head is in trying to succeed in the market. Since I made the jump from W7 to W8 I've been disappointed with the performance of the OS. More restarting, bugs, and more hiccups than I would like on my phone.

What I look for in a phone is simplicity, seemlessness, connectedness, good build quality, good battery life, reasonable size, and a good camera.. Something I don't have to fiddle with too much. Now I'm curious about BB.
    So I come to you, Crackberry, in hopes that you are completely unbiased and honest with me in my curiosity.

Questions about BlackBerry10:
    Am I right in saying that BB has these previous qualities in spades? The hub looks great and looks like it aggregates all my applications� so does the stability, is this true? The hub in question, If I haven't opened an application, or it's not one of the 8 applications running, will I still get a message in the hub?

When I get a message from say, wechat, gchat, kakaotalk, or skype, if I open the notification and want to reply to it, is it one unified message screen, or does it open up the application? (On WP I love that Facebook chat and SMS are all integrated into one hub, one thread per person.. But I felt that they could have integrated more into it) if they are connected, is it possible to link contacts with all applications?

I think I've gone a record of 5 months with my HTC Trophy (WP7) without needing to restart it. Is BlackBerry 10 this reliable and stable? Can I expect a smooth, reliable, and consistent experience?

One thing I miss about my 9550 is the LED notification. Can I change colors of it depending on the contact or application? How many colors are there?

However, one thing I HATED about the 9550 was the lack of Chinese input. How's BB10's?

Do all the BB devices have the same radios? I plan on buying off contract, so I would prefer to get one without the ugly Verizon logos on it. Will this work on CDMA on Verizon and GSM when I'm abroad? Would it still have Qi charging?

Concerns about switching to BB:
    I use WindowsRT and Windows8, I like the fact that they all work together pretty seemlessly. How's BB10 with this?

The main applications I use on my phone are: OneNote, Netflix, Office, Adobe Reader, Kakao talk, WeChat, Skype, ESPN Scorecenter, MLB At bat, A good translator, chase bank. Are these applications available and do they run well on BB10?

I don't need or like having a lot of applications. I liked not having to rely on a lot of them to do what I needed on WP (I liked the local scout to quickly search things around me, that worked seemlessly with my map and browser, I liked just searching a movie and having showtimes/reviews right there, Facebook status/integration with my contacts, etc.)
    Because of the hub, I feel like things like this are already fairly well integrated .. But do you require opening apps to get information like this on BB10?

Devices in question:
    Because I feel BB10 was designed around touchscreen first, If I decide to go BB10, my choice will be between the Z10 or Z30 (Unless you think Q devices are great). I like each for very different reasons and I'm not sure which one to go with:

I like the Z10 because of it's manageable size, its looks, and battery removal. But I also hear the battery life isn't that great, which is a huge issue for me.

I like the Z30 because of it's radio technology and build quality, its BATTERY LIFE, and I also heard the extra real estate helps with the BB10 experience. But I'm not sure if I'd like the size, my 928 was a bit unwieldy (though it was very boxlike). I also think it's kind of ugly.

I won't have a chance to play with this devices until I return Stateside this December, but I'd like all the information I can get now before I play with them.

Can anyone fill me in? Give me some suggestions? Think there is something else I should be weary about? Thanks!
    11-17-13 12:03 AM
    My suggestion is to go through all the forums and see what people are saying good or bad. Pain in the ***, yep. Here your going to get people confusing the crap out of you, then they start arguing. Most of the time if someone states something negative about BlackBerry, their automatically called a Troll.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 12:21 AM
    You should go to z30 without much thinking. You won't get disappointment. Latest leak 10.2.1.1055 provides whole lot of new features including FM radio. Sound quality on z30 is unmatchable. Keypad is another added advantage, one can type pages without much issue and without bothering much of spellings.

Prithvi, Z30 pin:2B631BE4 by CB10
    11-17-13 12:50 AM
    I recently made the switch from a Lumia 925 to a Q10.

To be honest, I realized how much WP really sucks at messaging. No more sluggish connection to Skype, Whatsapp or Gtalk. No more semi-sleeping apps in the background. No more pressing back all the time to close an app

Also EAS works ten times better on BB... than on Windows Phone... with an outlook.com account

I'm not a fan of the Z30, way too big for the BB10 gestures IMO. The Z10 have always looked like an iPhone 5 clone to me but that's just my opinion. I don't watch movies nor play games and browse only few web pages so the Q10 is much more practical with its physical keyboard and the search/action engine or the word substitution feature

To communicate with Windows, you got BlackBerry Link. The idea is that it lets you remotely browser you local files from your phone explorer. Not that reliable but quite nice.

bad points :
    Nokia cameras are great. Not BB's
    Nokia Here Drive is great unlike BB's sat nav

DM me for more, I'll be happy to answer you
    ominaxe likes this.
    11-17-13 01:01 AM
    There is a debate going on in wpcentral after I had mentioned some concerns with the future of windows phone. Basically, what I'm worried about with the platform is the loss of stability and a loss of the vision of aggregation and simplicity. WP has me questioning where MS's head is in trying to succeed in the market. Since I made the jump from W7 to W8 I've been disappointed with the performance of the OS. More restarting, bugs, and more hiccups than I would like on my phone.

What I look for in a phone is simplicity, seemlessness, connectedness, good build quality, good battery life, reasonable size, and a good camera.. Something I don't have to fiddle with too much. Now I'm curious about BB.
    So I come to you, Crackberry, in hopes that you are completely unbiased and honest with me in my curiosity.

Am I right in saying that BB has these previous qualities in spades? The hub looks great and looks like it aggregates all my applications� so does the stability, is this true? The hub in question, If I haven't opened an application, or it's not one of the 8 applications running, will I still get a message in the hub?
    The Hub is always running and always accessible by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and to the right. Unlike on WP, there are no "applications" for email, text messages, BBM, etc. everything is in the Hub, and you can either have them all appear in one long list or individually. With the newest operating systems there is a lot of customisation.

When I get a message from say, wechat, gchat, kakaotalk, or skype, if I open the notification and want to reply to it, is it one unified message screen, or does it open up the application? (On WP I love that Facebook chat and SMS are all integrated into one hub, one thread per person.. But I felt that they could have integrated more into it) if they are connected, is it possible to link contacts with all applications?
    I'm not sure if each messaging platform like wechat, gchat, etc. has Hub integration, but for WhatsApp, email, BBM, SMS/MMS, calls, PIN messages, all your messages for each service have their own section. That is, it's not segregated per contact like WP is (that's one thing I like about WP). And then there's the Hub section and Priority Hub. In the Hub section, ALL your communications appear in one list, while Priority Hub shows all your communications from important contacts and/or conversations. It detects important contacts/conversations automatically but you can also teach it.

I think I've gone a record of 5 months with my HTC Trophy (WP7) without needing to restart it. Is BlackBerry 10 this reliable and stable? Can I expect a smooth, reliable, and consistent experience?
    It's very stable. Forget BBOS, where nightly reboots were necessary. I haven't gone five months without restarting, but restarts are not necessary unless you start sideloading Android applications, which can possibly cause unstability. (On another note, the latest OS leak allows on-device installation of Android *.apk files, which means you can install an Android marketplace like Amazon Apps.)

One thing I miss about my 9550 is the LED notification. Can I change colors of it depending on the contact or application? How many colors are there?
    Unfortunately, there is no current OS support for changing the colour of the LED. It's either on or off, but you can customise this per contact. However, there are applications like BeBuzz that allow you to customise colours and colour patterns. There is one caveat with this, however, because the application needs to stay running in an Active Frame. This will change soon though, because BlackBerry is improving background-running application support.

However, one thing I HATED about the 9550 was the lack of Chinese input. How's BB10's?
    Yes! There is Chinese support, including support for handwriting.

Do all the BB devices have the same radios? I plan on buying off contract, so I would prefer to get one without the ugly Verizon logos on it. Will this work on CDMA on Verizon and GSM when I'm abroad? Would it still have Qi charging?
    As far as I know, the only BB10 device in the world that has Qi wireless charging is the Z30 on Verizon. I can't answer your questions about the radios. Maybe somebody else can chime in here...?

I use WindowsRT and Windows8, I like the fact that they all work together pretty seemlessly. How's BB10 with this?
    BB10 definitely works best with Windows. There is built-in Remote File Access in BB10's File Manager (the lack of which is one major shortcoming of WP), where you have full access to your computer's file-system. You won't have to deal with Zune (oh, how I hate that programme...) because you can access the phone through Explorer, but you will still have to use BlackBerry Link (which is better but not much) for backups, setting up RFA, etc.

You can also setup your BB10 phone to automatically sync media to your computer when it's on the same wireless network, which I find to be incredibly handy (note: it will only work if the phone is plugged into a power source).

The main applications I use on my phone are: OneNote, Netflix, Office, Adobe Reader, Kakao talk, WeChat, Skype, ESPN Scorecenter, MLB At bat, A good translator, chase bank. Are these applications available and do they run well on BB10?
    BB10 has Documents To Go, which is Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.

In BlackBerry World: Kakao Talk, WeChat, Adobe Reader (preinstalled), Skype (ported from Android), translators, ESPN ScoreCentre, MLB at Bat, yes.

No: Chase Bank, OneNote (the sideloaded version doesn't work), and Netflix (can be sideloaded and works well).

I don't need or like having a lot of applications. I liked not having to rely on a lot of them to do what I needed on WP (I liked the local scout to quickly search things around me, that worked seemlessly with my map and browser, I liked just searching a movie and having showtimes/reviews right there, Facebook status/integration with my contacts, etc.)
    Because of the hub, I feel like things like this are already fairly well integrated .. But do you require opening apps to get information like this on BB10?
    There is very well-integrated search in BB10. From the homescreen just start typing and results will appear right there. Facebook is also integrated into the BB10 Hub, as is LinkedIn and Twitter.

Devices in question:
    Because I feel BB10 was designed around touchscreen first, If I decide to go BB10, my choice will be between the Z10 or Z30 (Unless you think Q devices are great). I like each for very different reasons and I'm not sure which one to go with:

I like the Z10 because of it's manageable size, its looks, and battery removal. But I also hear the battery life isn't that great, which is a huge issue for me.
    Battery life is merely "average". If you buy a battery charge pack you can switch out halfway through the day, but this requires shutting off. I don't have much experience with the Z10 myself, but I've heard from many that it's the perfect size for both one- and two-handed use. The Z10 was the first model, so it doesn't have a few things like MiraCast or an FM radio.

I like the Z30 because of it's radio technology and build quality, its BATTERY LIFE, and I also heard the extra real estate helps with the BB10 experience. But I'm not sure if I'd like the size, my 928 was a bit unwieldy (though it was very boxlike). I also think it's kind of ugly.
    I've never seen one in real life so I can't really comment.

I won't have a chance to play with this devices until I return Stateside this December, but I'd like all the information I can get now before I play with them.

Can anyone fill me in? Give me some suggestions? Think there is something else I should be weary about? Thanks!
    I hope this helps and that it's not too long.
    ominaxe, mangelok and Akuji_ism like this.
    11-17-13 01:04 AM

Devices in question:

1. Yes everything is integrated into the Hub (BBM, Whatsapp, SMS, Email, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other third party apps that were given access to the hub) and yes you still get alerts

2. So what happens is, if you open a message from the Hub you never go into the app it just opens a snippet of the conversation / notification and you can respond from that. As per your question yes you can unify all your contacts accounts into 1 contact card

3. Yes you can, and obviously every phone needs a quick in the pants every now and then.. but BlackBerry actually recommends to pull the battery if only really necessary.. given that I'll end by saying you very rarely need to reboot

4. I believe so but I never have/wanted to

5. Sorry can't comment

6. Yes there are different variants STL100-1/2/3/4 (z10) and it is the same concept with the other BB10 devices

7. Well I'm running the latest OS leak and I got 16 hours of use on my Z10

8. I've actually never held a Z30 so I can't comment

I use iCloud so I can't comment on the windows-blackberry relationship but I do use my surface to so anything I'm doing on my Z10 and it works well and syncs with the people app

So would I recommend BB10? Absolutely.

Posted via CB10
    ominaxe likes this.
    11-17-13 01:17 AM

Am I right in saying that BB has these previous qualities in spades? The hub looks great and looks like it aggregates all my applications… so does the stability, is this true? The hub in question, If I haven't opened an application, or it's not one of the 8 applications running, will I still get a message in the hub?

Devices in question:

Hey man welcome to CB. I own a WP 8X and a Z10 and I can assure you that the Z10 is great for a work phone. But there is a constant way of downloading apps via sideloading which does take time. But the update to BB10 addresses that. Also I would recommend waiting for a while before making judgments. e.g We don't know BB's future. no one does. until you or us get a straight answer I recommend waiting out a while and see how it is in the future.

I recently made the switch from a Lumia 925 to a Q10.

To be honest, I realized how much WP really sucks at messaging. No more sluggish connection to Skype, Whatsapp or Gtalk. No more semi-sleeping apps in the background. No more pressing back all the time to close an app

Also EAS works ten times better on BB... than on Windows Phone... with an outlook.com account

I'm not a fan of the Z30, way too big for the BB10 gestures IMO. The Z10 have always looked like an iPhone 5 clone to me but that's just my opinion. I don't watch movies nor play games and browse only few web pages so the Q10 is much more practical with its physical keyboard and the search/action engine or the word substitution feature

To communicate with Windows, you got BlackBerry Link. The idea is that it lets you remotely browser you local files from your phone explorer. Not that reliable but quite nice.

bad points :
    Nokia cameras are great. Not BB's
    Nokia Here Drive is great unlike BB's sat nav

DM me for more, I'll be happy to answer you
    Really?? I find messaging on WP fine how it is. well depending if you FB message or not. But I updated my 8X to update 3 and you can quit apps via multitasking screen. dunno what you're talking about. also in my opinion I get EAS emails instantly from WP update 3. plus I get an extra 3 hours more battery life. not arguing just correcting you since you haven't really heard about GDR3. But Wp8.1 does seem pretty intense for a update. basically putting Windows RT 8.1 into WP8. Plus merging both stores including Xbox One's store into a mega app one.
    While I can't deny that Windows 8/RT is superior than BB10. But I wonder how Wp8.1's rumored features compare to BB10's features. pretty close call. And Don't forget the one obvious feature.......Cortana
    11-17-13 02:02 AM
    Yes I did try gdr3. Only really added a closing cross to my background apps. Can't close several at a time, no gestures...

Takes. Several minutes to sync actions and messages on wp while it's instant on BB
    Waking apps up is a pain to the point skype is unusable. Even just starting whatsapp or gchat+ is a pain. It's too bad cause I like the interface

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:22 AM
    Oh and cortana... if this is a just a voice upgrade it's useless to everyone. np one uses voice commands on a regular basis really... however the search/action engine of BB10 is more straightforward to me

True though the Xbox integration is nice...for those who play

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:28 AM
    I'm in agreeance with everything chaz95 said. He made the battery life on the Z10 sound a little too horrid though - I would say that I can go from 9-5 on one battery and then it gets iffy after that - I've heard the Q10 is much better for that, and the Z30 is better too.

Also, if you really want the Z30 for increased battery life and more real estate:

1) It's not that much bigger than a Z10 (in fact, they both come in the same size of box) so it's not that unwieldy - but this also means you don't get THAT much more real estate.

2) If you think the black one is ugly, check out the white one: Hands-on the white BlackBerry Z30! | CrackBerry.com I don't know when it will be released to carriers (although I've heard december). Personally, I think it's one of the best looking phones out there!
    11-17-13 04:03 AM
    Yes I did try gdr3. Only really added a closing cross to my background apps. Can't close several at a time, no gestures...

Takes. Several minutes to sync actions and messages on wp while it's instant on BB
    Waking apps up is a pain to the point skype is unusable. Even just starting whatsapp or gchat+ is a pain. It's too bad cause I like the interface

Posted via CB10
    Dude my phone gets stuff instantly so I dunno about yours. But I can't wait for Windows RT and WP merge gonna be interesting. I do think Microsoft has got the true mobile computering name.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-17-13 04:09 AM
    Oh and cortana... if this is a just a voice upgrade it's useless to everyone. np one uses voice commands on a regular basis really... however the search/action engine of BB10 is more straightforward to me

True though the Xbox integration is nice...for those who play

Posted via CB10
    Did I day it was only voice???? Cortana is like Google now and siri combined. Look it up. Dude be realistic

11-17-13 04:10 AM
    just do it, it makes sense...I think you wont go back to WP once you do...
    11-17-13 04:14 AM
    My suggestion is to go through all the forums and see what people are saying good or bad. Pain in the ***, yep. Here your going to get people confusing the crap out of you, then they start arguing. Most of the time if someone states something negative about BlackBerry, their automatically called a Troll.

Posted via CB10
    Troll!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 04:19 AM
    Dude no one knows what's cortana precisely. Look it up. Be realistic!!

I too would certainly love to see a merging btw winrt and wp, but that promise dates back to June 2012...

Point MS is, holds a better future than BlackBerry " from what it looks like" but in the present the BlackBerry OS looks more complete to me. That's why it came late to market

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 04:31 AM
    Dude no one knows what's cortana precisely. Look it up. Be realistic!!

I too would certainly love to see a merging btw winrt and wp, but that promise dates back to June 2012...

Point MS is, holds a better future than BlackBerry " from what it looks like" but in the present the BlackBerry OS looks more complete to me. That's why it came late to market

Posted via CB10
    Windows Phone and Windows RT are completely different. Windows is not going to merge the two together. RT cannot run on the limited power of a phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 11:12 AM
    I'm in agreeance with everything chaz95 said. He made the battery life on the Z10 sound a little too horrid though - I would say that I can go from 9-5 on one battery and then it gets iffy after that - I've heard the Q10 is much better for that, and the Z30 is better too.

Also, if you really want the Z30 for increased battery life and more real estate:

1) It's not that much bigger than a Z10 (in fact, they both come in the same size of box) so it's not that unwieldy - but this also means you don't get THAT much more real estate.

2) If you think the black one is ugly, check out the white one: Hands-on the white BlackBerry Z30! | CrackBerry.com I don't know when it will be released to carriers (although I've heard december). Personally, I think it's one of the best looking phones out there!
    To be honest, I've never tried a Z10 for more than ten minutes, so I was only repeating what I'd heard many others said about the battery life. I was trying to be realistic, hence why I didn't just say "get it!", but addressed each of his points without a conclusion.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 11:14 AM
    I say the Z30 with the latest 10.2.1.1055 leak will be the perfect phone for you. I literally get over 20 hours of battery life and I'm a fairly heavy user. The apps you use are all now available directly on the device as you can download apk files with this leak. The rest of your questions I think have been answered. You will not be disappointed with this device.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 11:18 AM
    How different ? 30% of the APIS are already common to RT and WP. They target 70% by 2014 and an app store unification is already talked about to partners...
    Check the specs of the Lumia 2520 and those of the Lumia 1520...

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 11:20 AM
    If you're worried about battery life, grab the q10 or z30. The battery on the z10 is pretty crappy, and if you're a heavy user you will be very disappointed unless you use wifi all day. I love my z10 the battery is my only quarrel with it, if you want the touch screen definitely grab the z30 over the z10.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    11-17-13 11:24 AM
    Windows Phone and Windows RT are completely different. Windows is not going to merge the two together. RT cannot run on the limited power of a phone.

Posted via CB10

Dude look it up. Both are merging together

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/20/windows...windows-phone/

11-17-13 11:25 AM
    Dude look it up. Both are merging together

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/20/windows...windows-phone/

According to that article, WP and RT will remain separate, but applications will be compatible between the two. And that article was based on speculation, as it stated, so can't really be called a roadmap of RT and WP development.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 11:38 AM
    I personally charge my Q10 every other night. I could make it 3 days but i'm not comfortable leaving home with just 30%

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 01:51 PM
    Long and short: my previous phone was an HTC 8X, and I wouldn't go back. The BB10 experience is so much better, particularly the keyboard.
    11-17-13 07:29 PM
    I agree with guillaumeb, I charge my phone every night when I get into bed, and have no problems. My phone only reboots when the cache needs to cleared, although I don't know why that is a requirement. I think you'll be really pleased with the change over. I am.
    11-17-13 07:32 PM
28 12