I carry two phones, Z10 and Leap. Does that mean I should carry 4 phones for apps?

Posted via CB10
    Why four? Only 3 required. Two BlackBerry and 1 other device for apps and fun! Lol

"Once you go Black you'll never go back"
    10-16-15 01:33 AM
    Why four? Only 3 required. Two BlackBerry and 1 other device for apps and fun! Lol

"Once you go Black you'll never go back"
    You're correct. I used flawed BlackBerry logic. With Priv I could eliminate one phone and have just two. Thanks BlackBerry for increasing my productivity.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 07:14 AM
    The only thing I'm missing on the Passport or BB10 is Games I liked with Google Play Services but if I really need to (which I don't) I could get an old android phone like the S4 and use it for fun stuff. The Passport is the end all for me in the way of communication, web, photos, and documents etc.....

The whole reason I left Android was the constant ads, bothersome app notifications daily, poor app compatibility on some skin implementation (Samsung)by various manufacturers and poor predictive text or lag. The Samsung line always wanted to revert back to stock keyboard and made it a chore to maintain any 3rd party keyboard which ended up being laggy after a while with less accuracy. I never imagined the keyboard on the BlackBerry phones could remove the frustration in communicating so well.
    My concern is that with Google having some compatibility issues when some phones are skinned then will we see the same problem arise on the Priv? I hope not but from what I see it just looks like the same mess just a different pile.

The Passport and BB10 is the only phone for me but we will see where they leave me in a year or two. Can't imagine not having my Passport and do hope to see a continued line of the Passport even if they have to go the way of the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 10-16-15 at 09:34 AM.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    10-16-15 09:11 AM
    Native: "there are no plans to schedule releases of new SDKs and APIs"
    Cascades: "There are no plans to move to Qt 5.x."
    Web "WebWorks 2.0 is based on an older version of Cordova"
    Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 "BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the current release of the Android Runtime (ART)"

An update for BlackBerry� 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog

Nothing I'd call "further support". More like: we won't shut down the life support systems but the patient isn't going to wake up.
    RezzaBuh, flyingsolid and JeepBB like this.
    10-26-15 01:54 PM
    10-28-15 08:41 AM
    Do you know that post actually means? It means that no new work will be done on BB10, both on devices and the OS and development platform. It is now in a zombie state. Will it continue to run? Yes. You can still run a DOS computer, but as new technology comes, it won't be able to support it.
    10-28-15 08:44 AM
    Do you know that post actually means? It means that no new work will be done on BB10, both on devices and the OS and development platform. It is now in a zombie state. Will it continue to run? Yes. You can still run a DOS computer, but as new technology comes, it won't be able to support it.
    I don't call a device that continues to work as designed "dead" or in a "zombie state.". My 1997 BMW isn't getting new updates, but it's running as good as ever. I can't pair my Bluetooth phone with it, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong with it. When BlackBerry stops patching BB10 you can call it EOL, but for now it's alive and working great. Maybe you want something more "futureproof," which BB10 is not, but that doesn't make it dead.

My dad is still working and making good money at the age of 84. He's not going to learn every new thing that comes along in his profession, but he's not dead or a zombie, either!

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 09:40 AM
    Bluenoser, that posting by Blackberry does not, in anyway mean the they are not doing anything more on BB10! They have committed to releasing 10.3.3. Just because they don't mention any release #'s past that also does not mean that they are abandoning the platform.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    10-28-15 12:16 PM
    Bluenoser, that posting by Blackberry does not, in anyway mean the they are not doing anything more on BB10! They have committed to releasing 10.3.3. Just because they don't mention any release #'s past that also does not mean that they are abandoning the platform.

Posted via CB10
    Actually JC mentioned 10.3.4 earlier but did not give a timeline.
    However I think they are abandoning the platform.
    The only thing that would save BB10 now is some large stakeholders showing BlackBerry a big chunk of money.
    10-28-15 12:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Did you not read the posting?

No new tools for developers. No new SDK or APIs which means no new features. No upgrade to Qt so the current EOL Qt framework is it. Support current ART which means no new runtime. They are only committing to security and privacy enhancements. They are telling developers that apps in Android form should go on Amazon.

It is amazing that people can read a blog posting telling developers that they should no longer develop apps for BB10, because BlackBerry has decided that they are no longer going to develop for native apps, and read that BB10 has a future.
    10-28-15 01:11 PM
    To OP: Please, never again use "confirmed" and "opinion" in the same sentence. "This statement is absolutely true and scientifically proven, what do you think?"

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    10-28-15 07:11 PM
    To OP: Please, never again use "confirmed" and "opinion" in the same sentence. "This statement is absolutely true and scientifically proven, what do you think?"

The mods added "opinion"
    10-28-15 10:29 PM
    The mods added "opinion"
    Oh ok, that makes more sense.

10-29-15 02:54 AM
    The mods added "opinion"
    Could be removed after the last blog posting for developers...
    10-29-15 04:10 AM
    Confirmed with Opinion??? WTF

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 02:04 PM
    Could be removed after the last blog posting for developers...
    Not really. There is no "end" of BB10 confirmed yet. Just a clear decline and lack of future initiatives. It may well putter along doing everything it currently does for 3-5 years. Heck, BIS and BB7 are still working fine.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 07:58 AM
    Some what for an official announcement (of "the end"), others draw their conclusions from the information given by the company. If you want to close your eyes to reality and you see no end as long as the devices work: I can't help you. By that definition, webOS on smartphones and Symbian are still alive, too. Heck, even my old 486 PC still works...
    10-30-15 12:49 PM
    Some what for an official announcement (of "the end"), others draw their conclusions from the information given by the company. If you want to close your eyes to reality and you see no end as long as the devices work: I can't help you. By that definition, webOS on smartphones and Symbian are still alive, too. Heck, even my old 486 PC still works...
    Really! Thatcher great news. Where can I buy a new Symbian or WebOS phone?

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    10-30-15 03:48 PM
    Good grief, is this thread still going? As the OP, even I don't care about it.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 03:59 PM
    Really! Thatcher great news. Where can I buy a new Symbian or WebOS phone?

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    Amazon still sells the Palm Pre 2, and at a low price!

10-30-15 05:07 PM

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10...6f773de3bb.jpg
    Wow they still work? That would be cool to play with

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 05:12 PM
    Wow they still work? That would be cool to play with

Posted via CB10
    AND it�s available on Verizon right TF now, unlike some other qwerty sliders I need not name... (I�m looking at you, Priv) LOL!
    10-30-15 05:16 PM

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10...6f773de3bb.jpg
    Well I wouldn't call a 4 year old battery powered device, even still in the sealed box, new. Kind of like calling 4 month old milk fresh just because the carton hasn't been opened.

But well played, I concede the point.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    10-30-15 05:46 PM
    Personally, I don't dispute the fact that BlackBerry is moving away from BB10. I just don't agree with mischaracterizing BB10 as dead or EOL. Just because one can identify the most likely future (or even a certain future) doesn't mean the future is here now.

BB10 simply isn't dead or EOL by the normal meaning of those terms. That doesn't mean I think it will make a resurgence or that BlackBerry is secretly planning BB11 with a host of new features and a robust business plan that will bring developers on board.

The indisputable facts:
    BlackBerry has not succeeded in establishing BB10 in a profitable niche, and they are exploring whether making an Android phone could allow them to stay in hardware for strategic reasons. They are maintaining BB10 with security and bug fixes for the foreseeable future. The Android runtime in BB10 is not being updated or removed. There are no new BB10 phones on the horizon.

People are free to call that whatever they like, I guess, but EOL technically means support has ended, and no such date has been provided for BB10. It's still a fully functional, supported OS, with new phones available for purchase. I understand why consumers might decide they don't want to buy into an OS and ecosystem that lacks a bright future, but that's simply not the definition of EOL.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 08:53 PM
    Well I wouldn't call a 4 year old battery powered device, even still in the sealed box, new. Kind of like calling 4 month old milk fresh just because the carton hasn't been opened.

But well played, I concede the point.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    Bad analogy. One still works exactly as intended, The other is unusable. Obsolete is not the same as broken.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-30-15 08:55 PM
190 ... 45678