Well, perhaps a consolidation of a few ideas I have for BB10's UI. Most have been posted throughout the forums here and there.

Quick Settings:
    [Concepts] BB10 OS-preview.jpg
    I did this a few months ago i think, wanting more options in the settings. Something really simple, but might be a little crowded. lol.
    [Concepts] BB10 OS-screen-shot-2013-06-13-1.54.35-am.png
    Then after seeing iOS 7, I though having some controls in it might be good, so did a very quick rough mock up. But really, I kinda like the one by "omassain" over here.

Active Frames:
    [Concepts] BB10 OS-q10.jpg
    [Concepts] BB10 OS-z10.jpg
    A pretty straightforward and simple way of getting more out of the active frame screen, done simply by resizing them (no extra work for devs to adjust anything). I thought if the active frame page only has one page (rather than the vertical scrolling on current UI), then it could be possible to implement a swipe up gesture to close apps (like on WebOS, PlayBook, iOS 7, etc). 4 or less, it will be the same as current size. 5 or up to 9, it will resize into smaller frames.
    [Concepts] BB10 OS-z10-actions.jpg
    Then the swipe down gesture could be used for triggering an actionable state, which can be used for simple controls. These will perhaps stay on for about 3 secs, before going back to the previous viewing state.

But of course this really depends on whether your eyesight is still good with the frames being so small. But it shouldn't be a problem for bigger displays in the future. I tested it on my Z10 and texts are still readable, but barely.

Action Bar:
    [Concepts] BB10 OS-screen-shot-2013-06-13-1.56.54-am.png
    Basically the idea was to reduce the size of the action bar on the Z10 (full touch models) to the same size as the Q10. That, and also implement the similar optimisations like hiding the action bar (bottom) and the top bar when scrolling. That will really help to portray what BBRY has been saying they want to achieve with the UI, "Content is King". The descriptions on the Z10 felt really unnecessary to me as after some time, I can remember most of them, and even if I don't know what the icon do, I can tap and hold to see it like on the Q10. Same applies for the browser too.

[Concepts] BB10 OS-screen-shot-2013-06-13-1.57.03-am.png

Also, I might be a bit slow, but I found out that you can now delete photos right within the preview in the camera app. Not sure if its 10.2 only or not. Basically, when swiping from the small thumbnail (of your last taken photo) on the bottom left in the camera app, there is now a "delete" and "share" option on the right. Kinda like a context menu. But it does have a nice translucent effect to it unlike our normal context menu, and I thought of trying this out throughout the system.

[Concepts] BB10 OS-11.jpg
    [Concepts] BB10 OS-12.jpg
    [Concepts] BB10 OS-13.jpg

Well, I think that's long enough for a post. Not sure if they'll work in real life or not, and I'm sure a lot of you guys will have better alternatives than mine. So feel free to chip in with any ideas you guys might have.

I'm sure the folks at BBRY have their own design team (TAT) hard at work already, making their own changes, like we've seen in 10.2. So this is really just me having a bit of fun playing around with photoshop and illustrator, and then sharing it with you guys.

I do have a blog in which I posts ideas from time to time, but really if I have something I think is worth sharing, I have will have it up in the forums too, like my concepts for next generation of BB10 devices, or basically in threads with similar topics. My Twitter handle is @Alex_HYZ, and my BBM Channel Pin is C00015605.

Cheers!
    Mr_F, SebastianNap, Elite1 and 8 others like this.
    06-14-13 10:09 PM
    Wow, some cool ideas there.
    Amazing work putting together the mockup renders too! Thanks for sharing!
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-14-13 10:15 PM
    hehe, everyone likes the android toggles
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-14-13 10:16 PM
    hehe, everyone likes the android toggles
    I think it's just that they are a really practical, and easy way to access settings quickly. If there's anything that I miss on my Z10 from my Nexus 4, it's these controls. lol. It is just so limited currently with only 6 items on it. Pootermobile's idea of having multiple pages works nicely too imo. Nonetheless, I just want MORE settings!
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 06-15-13 at 12:52 AM.
    Korepab and howarmat like this.
    06-14-13 10:22 PM
    Yea, the Android style toggles would be nice.

Posted via CB10 using the awesome Q10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-14-13 11:27 PM
    Great ideas in this concept. I really like the 9 active frames and the quick settings.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 12:45 AM
    Great concepts would love to see some of these implemented in future builds.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 12:57 AM
    Yes the android toggles will be helpful. I feel six is too limited.

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 01:30 AM
    Love the toggle, especially with brightness and volume control.

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 03:42 AM
    Icons:
    I have nothing against having a background on icons. It makes the app name easier to read, and also provide a sort of unifying element. But I kinda feel that the grey background used on BB10 feels a little... well... dull. But removing it completely makes it feel as if the icons are floating everywhere (Since unlike Apple, BBRY doesn't dictate all devs to use the same shape of icons). So i took a page out of Apple's book, and tried mockups with app icon backgrounds that would change according to the colour of the wallpaper you were using, and select a tone automatically that will be less obtrusive, while still providing that unifying element as well as legibility.

[Concepts] BB10 OS-overview.png

A few bigger samples...

[Concepts] BB10 OS-3.png[Concepts] BB10 OS-4.png[Concepts] BB10 OS-5.png[Concepts] BB10 OS-7.png[Concepts] BB10 OS-8.png[Concepts] BB10 OS-9.png

Anyway, the key of course is having a decent enough algorithm to make sure that works...
    Just curious, how many of you guys prefer having a background for app icons?
    Mr_F likes this.
    06-15-13 04:24 AM
    Well, I think that's long enough for a post. Not sure if they'll work in real life or not, and I'm sure a lot of you guys will have better alternatives than mine. So feel free to chip in with any ideas you guys might have.

Cheers!
    Wow, incredible thread and some really useful suggestions. I particularly like your take on the dynamic icon backgrounds. I'd love to see that implemented in a future update. I too have a few concepts - so I might post some of them here (providing you don't mind sharing the thread with others?). It could be nice to have all of the concepts and suggestions in one place.

Thanks for sharing.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 05:02 AM
    Icons:
    I have nothing against having a background on icons. It makes the app name easier to read, and also provide a sort of unifying element. But I kinda feel that the grey background used on BB10 feels a little... well... dull. But removing it completely makes it feel as if the icons are floating everywhere (Since unlike Apple, BBRY doesn't dictate all devs to use the same shape of icons). So i took a page out of Apple's book, and tried mockups with app icon backgrounds that would change according to the colour of the wallpaper you were using, and select a tone automatically that will be less obtrusive, while still providing that unifying element as well as legibility.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overview.png 
Views:	1432 
Size:	838.0 KB 
ID:	172371

A few bigger samples...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	1425 
Size:	682.9 KB 
ID:	172372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.png 
Views:	1420 
Size:	661.6 KB 
ID:	172373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.png 
Views:	1415 
Size:	649.2 KB 
ID:	172374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.png 
Views:	1411 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	172375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.png 
Views:	1413 
Size:	740.4 KB 
ID:	172376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.png 
Views:	1404 
Size:	827.7 KB 
ID:	172377

Anyway, the key of course is having a decent enough algorithm to make sure that works...
    Just curious, how many of you guys prefer having a background for app icons?
    Isn't that already possible with the Themes app? Although implementation in the OS would be nicer, I agree.

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 05:28 AM
    Cool. Do like everyone else and take from everyone else.

*** current digital era...who can do it better ***

Are you a foodie? Do you like to cook? Talk food recipes and kitchen gadgets on CBFN:C0004E653 - The official channel for ChefBigFella.com
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 05:32 AM
    This is sick! Now if only we could have the BlackBerry executive team check this out...

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 05:34 AM
    The idea of smaller active frames is good. All they have to do is further copy how it is done on the Nokia N9. Pinching the screen toggles the four frames screen into 9 smaller ones and they remain this way until you pinch out to revert to four frames.

Of course on the N9 you are not limited to only 9 frames.

Choice is good!!

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 05:53 AM
    Good job on the renderings.

Please don't take this as a criticism of your work, because after reading the thread everyone else seems to like it, but I hate the Android style dropdown (hate it on Android too) I find it to be too cluttered and untidy. While I realise people's argument is that it's more convenient that way, personally if I have to make one extra tap to get to what I want I'm really not going to be bothered. I don't need the extra toggles. I actually think with all the extra toggles it's less convenient. Also I like the fact that if you tap the icon, it toggles the function on or off and if you tap the word it takes you straight to its settings.

I just really don't like it and so far I'm the only one to say it, but I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

But that said, it is a personal preference...how to please everyone?
    Possibly make that dropdown menu customisable, so the standard menu remains, for those who prefer it and for those that want the extra toggles, can opt to add the options they want onto the existing menu. It could probably fit another 6-8 if it started using up more of the screen each time a new icon/option/toggle is added, that's ofcourse with leaving the names.
    I know this wouldn't work on the Q10.
    So maybe an option to fix that would be that if the user decides to add more toggles, the wording/names would be dropped, so it could work on the Q10 too.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    06-15-13 06:18 AM
    Wow, incredible thread and some really useful suggestions. I particularly like your take on the dynamic icon backgrounds. I'd love to see that implemented in a future update. I too have a few concepts - so I might post some of them here (providing you don't mind sharing the thread with others?). It could be nice to have all of the concepts and suggestions in one place.

Thanks for sharing.
    Feel free to share mate. The more the merrier!!! Haha. Perhaps eventually we might end up with a completely updated UI. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 07:19 AM
    Good job on the renderings.

Please don't take this as a criticism of your work, because after reading the thread everyone else seems to like it, but I hate the Android style dropdown (hate it on Android too) I find it to be too cluttered and untidy. While I realise people's argument is that it's more convenient that way, personally if I have to make one extra tap to get to what I want I'm really not going to be bothered. I don't need the extra toggles. I actually think with all the extra toggles it's less convenient. Also I like the fact that if you tap the icon, it toggles the function on or off and if you tap the word it takes you straight to its settings.

I just really don't like it and so far I'm the only one to say it, but I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

But that said, it is a personal preference...how to please everyone?
    Possibly make that dropdown menu customisable, so the standard menu remains, for those who prefer it and for those that want the extra toggles, can opt to add the options they want onto the existing menu. It could probably fit another 6-8 if it started using up more of the screen each time a new icon/option/toggle is added, that's ofcourse with leaving the names.
    I know this wouldn't work on the Q10.
    So maybe an option to fix that would be that if the user decides to add more toggles, the wording/names would be dropped, so it could work on the Q10 too.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    Completely agree. These are all personal preferences, and I'm just showing what I imagined to be possible. No wrong in not liking it.

Anyway, I know on my Nexus 4, the settings are toggled by tapping and holding, and a single tap will bring you to the settings page. Which achieves the same functions as the one currently on BB10 while using lesser space. But I agree also that it might be too crowded. The ideal way would really be to allow customisation. To show only what you use the most. This way, no matter whether you like to have everything, or just the few you need (to keep it less cluttered), you have a choice in doing so.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 07:24 AM
    Been a while. lol. Here's another idea I have been wanting to do, and with the Apple iPhone 5S announced, I think this is a good time. Security.

Here’s how I envisioned it. With BB10 we can “swipe up from the bottom bezel” to unlock the device. As you finger activates the display, an icon shows you where to place your finger.

[Concepts] BB10 OS-untitled.001.jpg

Not sure if it is technically possible, but it would be great if the biometric sensor can be part of the touch screen itself. Like just a small portion of it.

[Concepts] BB10 OS-untitled.002.jpg

Once in place the sensor scans your fingerprint (preferably as quickly as possible). Then once done you can continue the gesture to unlock the deice fully by continuing the swipe up gesture. If not you can lift your finger to get to your lockscreen notifications preview.

[Concepts] BB10 OS-untitled.003.jpg

Ideally, the pause for the scanning process will be a matter of milliseconds. Or even better if I can just swipe a little slower and use a smooth swiping gesture without stopping.

Simple and straightforward.

You can find me at axhng on twitter, or at C00015605 on BBM Channels.
    09-10-13 11:44 PM
    Love the idea.. don't think it's possible through the touch screen though..

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    09-11-13 12:24 AM
    You have creepy fingers! Lol.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    jeroen_13 likes this.
    09-11-13 12:41 AM
    Love the idea.. don't think it's possible through the touch screen though..

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that's my feelings too. Perhaps in the future someone will figure out a way to make it work.

You have creepy fingers! Lol.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    That's not my finger, lol. Googled for finger and found this that already has transparent background. hahaha.
    09-11-13 12:58 AM
    Yeah, that's my feelings too. Perhaps in the future someone will figure out a way to make it work.

That's not my finger, lol. Googled for finger and found this that already has transparent background. hahaha.
    Hey great job on all this artwork. Just a note with the title bar and bottom bar going away on scroll, both are currently possible. A dev can do it in two lines of code. Personally I think it would improve some apps (like CB, ask the dev to add it!) but in others it would make it worse. I like hoe it currently is, up to the dev.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    09-11-13 02:15 AM
    I love the idea of adding more options to the current settings drop down. However I do agree with a previous post that BlackBerry's implementation with the graphic toggling on and off and the label engaging the full settings app is a very nice touch, I hope that never goes away. But to add to what's currently there I would love to see...

-Brightness toggle
    -Audio toggle
    -Ringer icon (where tapping cycles through all available profiles, not just two)
    -Airplane mode
    -Flashlight
    -NFC
    -Basic music controls

I like the idea of more active frames on one page rather than two, but instead of shrinking the frames in their current dimensions what if they were rectangular and extended the width of the screen, then were say... 6 down the screen. this way font size could remain larger...? I'm terrible with graphics and photo shopping, maybe someone could draft that up or inform me of the limitations cuz I am not a techie either lol. Great renderings and ideas though guys, keep 'em coming!

Posted from my incredible Z10
    09-11-13 09:28 PM