This is probably the millionth post about why we should accept BlackBerry moving to Android...

Eh, I'll post it anyway.

I know you all are upset that BlackBerry is making an Android device. To be honest, I am too. I'm not going to jump ship like the rest of you are. At least, not yet.

I've been an on-off user of BlackBerry devices.

Have had two Q5's, one Q10, and two Classics (using one as my present device).

I've also strictly used Nexus-branded devices. (Nexus 5 and Nexus 6.)

What I can tell you about Android is that it's not as laggy as you think. Stock Android is actually quite fast. Maybe you all think it's slow because of Samsung. They put a heavily modified skin (or framework) called TouchWiz that ends up making the system stutter or slow down from time to time.

As for privacy issues in Android, all you can do is not use Google services. I believe you have that option. Sure Android probably has some vulnerabilities, but so does every other operating system. At least it's getting patched.

It seems BlackBerry found a way to secure Android. If it's cheaper for them to use Android than to put effort into BlackBerry 10, then I say go for it. Who knows, maybe people will buy it?

I know /r/android on Reddit is excited BlackBerry is releasing a slider with Android. They're excited because BlackBerry makes good hardware and the fact they'll be able to use a good keyboard again.

Instead of going to a different manufacturer, why not try out the device first? It hasn't even released! You guys refuse to give it a chance because it's not BlackBerry 10.

All I ask is to keep an open mind. If every BlackBerry customer thought this way, BlackBerry would close shop in a year because they wouldn't sell anything.

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    08-24-15 09:13 AM
    We're not all upset about this. In fact, I'm tickled pink that they are finally doing what they probably should have done years ago. And I agree with you, hopefully BlackBerry fans are open minded and can help them be successful with Android.

BlackBerry is the only phone manufacture I can think of that still offers a wide variety of form factors and it would be a real shame for that to go away. Without BlackBerry hardware, we'd be left with nothing but slabs to choose from. That would be worse than the loss of BB10 is. Hopefully Android is enough to help keep their hardware business around for years to come.
    08-24-15 09:35 AM
    Things you say make sense. For people like me who don't like KBs tho are still left in the dark.
    But i am as excited as anyone to see the new slider. not for myself but to see what it's all about.

As for Android, i am learning that a lot of what has been said about it negatively here is not entirely true and in some cases, not true at all.
    08-24-15 09:36 AM
    I'm prepared to wait and see what actually goes on sale. But I've had enough of Android and Google. I use a couple Android apps, but they are from Amazon providing access to Amazon products. If the Venice is only available in Android I won't be buying one. If BlackBerry doesn't release any more all touch BB10 devices my next phone won't be an Android from anyone. But my Z10 runs better today than the day I unboxed it, so I won't have to make that decision very soon.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    rayporsche, ppeters914 and extisis like this.
    08-24-15 11:21 AM
    The over the top paranoid crap that people in these CB forums argue against the 'Security flaws' of Androids & Google Play, as if BB Operating Systems are completely immune..... really ruins the credibility of these forums. Then again I've been to a lot of different forums, and there are people like that everywhere.

Thank god I don't bother with them in real life.
    08-24-15 03:05 PM
    The over the top paranoid crap that people in these CB forums argue against the 'Security flaws' of Androids & Google Play, as if BB Operating Systems are completely immune..... really ruins the credibility of these forums. Then again I've been to a lot of different forums, and there are people like that everywhere.

Thank god I don't bother with them in real life.
    You only need to look through the CERT vulnerability list comparing different products to realize the differences between them. Unless you subscribe to the theory that no one works on BlackBerry because no one has one. Either way, if BlackBerry does release an Android based phone we should know by CANSECWEST. If I was going to talk about an Android bug and it worked on a BlackBerry device, I know what I would be using in my demo.

08-24-15 04:37 PM
    This is probably the millionth post about why we should accept BlackBerry moving to Android...

Eh, I'll post it anyway.

I know you all are upset that BlackBerry is making an Android device. To be honest, I am too. I'm not going to jump ship like the rest of you are. At least, not yet.

I've been an on-off user of BlackBerry devices.

Have had two Q5's, one Q10, and two Classics (using one as my present device).

I've also strictly used Nexus-branded devices. (Nexus 5 and Nexus 6.)

What I can tell you about Android is that it's not as laggy as you think. Stock Android is actually quite fast. Maybe you all think it's slow because of Samsung. They put a heavily modified skin (or framework) called TouchWiz that ends up making the system stutter or slow down from time to time.

As for privacy issues in Android, all you can do is not use Google services. I believe you have that option. Sure Android probably has some vulnerabilities, but so does every other operating system. At least it's getting patched.

It seems BlackBerry found a way to secure Android. If it's cheaper for them to use Android than to put effort into BlackBerry 10, then I say go for it. Who knows, maybe people will buy it?

I know /r/android on Reddit is excited BlackBerry is releasing a slider with Android. They're excited because BlackBerry makes good hardware and the fact they'll be able to use a good keyboard again.

Instead of going to a different manufacturer, why not try out the device first? It hasn't even released! You guys refuse to give it a chance because it's not BlackBerry 10.

All I ask is to keep an open mind. If every BlackBerry customer thought this way, BlackBerry would close shop in a year because they wouldn't sell anything.

Everything you've said is indisputably correct

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 07:12 PM
    Thank you. A balanced and fair argument. There are many reasonable points that many could and should be able to agree to.

However, for me, I am not interested in the device. Comes down to a couple of issues; one, I just like a dedicated PKB. For me the Q10 has a great foot print. Two, I like control of my app permissions. Period. I do not want to share. As I have stated before, if an entity is going to collect data I want to receive ads meaningful to me AND I want to be paid for use of my data as I purchase all my phones. My understanding is that with Samsung / Amazon / Google apps this is not possible across ALL apps.

As an executive, from a business standpoint, I do have concerns for BB with the move to Android. I do think there will be an initial bump, interest, etc. Then a fall will come. My impression of the Android market is that is it a commodity market, spec driven and incredibly fickle. And requires massive amounts of not only advertising, but PR and marketing.

I worry that BB is at risk of losing what unique brand recognition and loyalty is has. Note, I am not stating necessarily security can not be the same on both platforms. What I am saying is that, as JFK once said, "perception forms 90% of reality"....
    baarn likes this.
    08-24-15 08:05 PM
    I for one am hoping they keep the original BB10 and offer Android version to consumers so they can compete in sales and make some cash and Gain popularity once more. I don't see anything wrong with continuing with their own brand. They seem do be doing ok with the meager sales they have now and still offering updates. Let's see both platforms offered by BlackBerry and then they can keep their loyal customers who know and love BB10 and perhaps others won't be so reluctant to try it out and will actually like it. Bringing out android will target new customers and perhaps grow interest in the brand and grow BB10 as well.

Maybe I'm a little too optimistic but it helps me sleep better at night lol!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 11:42 PM
    I am not upset. I just don't use Android. If they are so persistent in doing so, I will have to move to iOS. That is it. Android is another McDonald's.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 02:02 AM
    I am not upset. I just don't use Android. If they are so persistent in doing so, I will have to move to iOS. That is it. Android is another McDonald's.

Posted via CB10
    I would give serious consideration to the new windows phone Lumia 940. Windows phone 10 might be another option?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 07:41 AM
    Wait until Microsoft releases their flagship line of phones.

08-25-15 08:38 AM
    Thank you. A balanced and fair argument. There are many reasonable points that many could and should be able to agree to

<snip>
    This ^^^ 1000+
    08-25-15 08:48 AM
    Are you suggesting BBRY will give consumers no other option but a DroidBerry?
    08-25-15 08:50 AM
    They might offer the corporate sector BlackBerry 10, but with the talks of how they won't bring any new features to BlackBerry 10...probably not.

08-25-15 08:54 AM
    I am a long term Blackberry user, but I also have other phones from other makers. Right now I have a Nokia Lumia 1320 running the current Insider released build of Windows 10. It is a fascinating process to watch as it changes and develops and improves while being able to use it first hand. I like that Microsoft have taken this route with its current users - it provides me with insight and a platform to report on bugs or flaws. It also makes me feel that despite losses and low market share the company is building something. I also feel like I am recognised for being a customer. If a huge corporation like Microsoft can remember the little guy, why not the others? Why do it via leaks and not just out in the open? I suppose that there are valid reasons for this but who knows?

Windows 10 on the phone is, by the way, shaping up really nicely. Far more integrated than 8.1 and some excellent options. It feels more robust. It doesn't have the flow of BB10 however, but it works well.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 10:32 AM

Yes it's laggy... the first weeks it is indeed fast.. But then the lag comes in and you have to reboot quite often to keep the phone fast. ( my former phones where Android and the last one was even rooted with stock Android... eventually even stock Android will become laggy and freezes)

Sure you have that option ( Cynagon) ... But then what? You can't get the millions and millions of apps without the Google services... or at least decent apps... so you go sideloading again... what's then the difference between sideloading for Android or BB10???

Posted via my awesome Classic
    08-25-15 10:55 AM
    Instead of complaining, just be glad BlackBerry is making a phone with play services.

BlackBerry 10 stutters from time to time. I've had issues where it would lock up and I had to reset the phone.

08-25-15 12:06 PM
    Instead of complaining, just be glad BlackBerry is making a phone with play services.

That's great if you want a phone with Google Play Services. But there are plenty of them on the market already. If I wanted Play Services I would own one of those.

anon(3983727) likes this.
    08-25-15 12:14 PM
    They might offer the corporate sector BlackBerry 10, but with the talks of how they won't bring any new features to BlackBerry 10...probably not.

Oh yes you mean talk from the rumor mill. Yeah that's what I rely on. NOT!

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    08-25-15 12:59 PM
    Thank you. A balanced and fair argument. There are many reasonable points that many could and should be able to agree to.

However, for me, I am not interested in the device. Comes down to a couple of issues; one, I just like a dedicated PKB. For me the Q10 has a great foot print. Two, I like control of my app permissions. Period. I do not want to share. As I have stated before, if an entity is going to collect data I want to receive ads meaningful to me AND I want to be paid for use of my data as I purchase all my phones. My understanding is that with Samsung / Amazon / Google apps this is not possible across ALL apps.

As an executive, from a business standpoint, I do have concerns for BB with the move to Android. I do think there will be an initial bump, interest, etc. Then a fall will come. My impression of the Android market is that is it a commodity market, spec driven and incredibly fickle. And requires massive amounts of not only advertising, but PR and marketing.

I worry that BB is at risk of losing what unique brand recognition and loyalty is has. Note, I am not stating necessarily security can not be the same on both platforms. What I am saying is that, as JFK once said, "perception forms 90% of reality"....
    True, very true!

Posted using Z30 | 10.3.2.2339
    08-25-15 01:26 PM
    I am a long term Blackberry user, but I also have other phones from other makers. Right now I have a Nokia Lumia 1320 running the current Insider released build of Windows 10. It is a fascinating process to watch as it changes and develops and improves while being able to use it first hand. I like that Microsoft have taken this route with its current users - it provides me with insight and a platform to report on bugs or flaws. It also makes me feel that despite losses and low market share the company is building something. I also feel like I am recognised for being a customer. If a huge corporation like Microsoft can remember the little guy, why not the others? Why do it via leaks and not just out in the open? I suppose that there are valid reasons for this but who knows?

Windows 10 on the phone is, by the way, shaping up really nicely. Far more integrated than 8.1 and some excellent options. It feels more robust. It doesn't have the flow of BB10 however, but it works well.

Posted via CB10
    That's where I will probably go when the L950XL comes out
    08-25-15 01:33 PM