Man ... i'm reading about all the 10.2.1 fun features and I'm not able to take advantage of them. It appears that the IT policy of the company's BES servers are restricted me from utilizing them.

I wanted to try the picture password ... option is not even there within the settings. I tried to load SNAP, but the IT policy restricts me from going into the "development" mode.

I haven't found a workaround to the picture password, and doubt I will. I was able to load amazon instead of SNAP, which is fine, but does seem to lag a bit (not sure if that is an isolated incident, or whether others see that too).

Do you think I can convince our organization to modify the IT policy? haha.
    02-01-14 02:07 PM
    Man ... i'm reading about all the 10.2.1 fun features and I'm not able to take advantage of them. It appears that the IT policy of the company's BES servers are restricted me from utilizing them.

I wanted to try the picture password ... option is not even there within the settings. I tried to load SNAP, but the IT policy restricts me from going into the "development" mode.

I haven't found a workaround to the picture password, and doubt I will. I was able to load amazon instead of SNAP, which is fine, but does seem to lag a bit (not sure if that is an isolated incident, or whether others see that too).

Is this BYOD? If not then you can forget about anything such as Picture password. If it is your device tell your IT to remove you from the BES and the company to provide you a phone if it is required.
    02-01-14 02:55 PM
    BES can lock you out of picture password (not sure why as it seems more secure than a regular password) but what about resetting your phone to scratch and then installing snap before reinstalling your bes email accounts? Not having snap would suck.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 03:27 PM
    Is this BYOD? If not then you can forget about anything such as Picture password. If it is your device tell your IT to remove you from the BES and the company to provide you a phone if it is required.
    I hear you. It is my device, but I am connected to the company BES. I know that I can remove it but I do like having the ability to check work emails while on the move. Would love to force them to give me their own device, but I don't think that is going to happen.

BES can lock you out of picture password (not sure why as it seems more secure than a regular password) but what about resetting your phone to scratch and then installing snap before reinstalling your bes email accounts? Not having snap would suck.
    Posted via CB10
    I agree. It would appear that the picture password is better than the normal password process. I wonder if anyone has done a study on this. That is, compare the ability to brute force both mechanisms and see at what password length does the normal password lock become more effective (if it is at all). Does picture policy also have a "failed attempts" setting? I believe our IT policy has a restriction of 10password attempts and then it wipes the device. I assume this can be applied to the picture password.

In regards to your other suggestion on installing SNAP first, the company will not provide me with the enterprise activation password. Thus, they will wipe the device first and then connect me to the BES. So I don't think it will work.
    02-03-14 07:28 AM
    That's sad.. I mean that was the whole point having 2 profiles in BB10 - personal and work.

Mine is a work z10 so the way IT set up my z10 was using Balance so the work email is password protected and I can't copy and paste anything from the work account to anything personal. Calendar and contacts for work is separate but also accessible from the Personal side (non-password protected). We're not BYOD so the company owns the phones and the plan.

But other than that I can do virtually anything I want I the personal side. I have been told that I can't install OS leaks but that only makes sense.

Looks like your IT department is the IT gestapo
    02-03-14 07:38 AM
    ^ that's the way it should be done! Such a shame IT guys are restricting the phone like it was an android. They must not know the difference

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    02-03-14 09:44 AM
    I am using company z10 with BES too. In my case, the picture password option is not available if I use workspace password as device password. As soon as I unchecked it, the picture password option showed up. But the tradeoff is you still need regular password to unlock the workspace.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 10:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because picture password is NOT secure.
    Read my post here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...7/#post9928167

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 11:04 AM
    I hear you. It is my device, but I am connected to the company BES. I know that I can remove it but I do like having the ability to check work emails while on the move. Would love to force them to give me their own device, but I don't think that is going to happen.

I agree. It would appear that the picture password is better than the normal password process. I wonder if anyone has done a study on this. That is, compare the ability to brute force both mechanisms and see at what password length does the normal password lock become more effective (if it is at all). Does picture policy also have a "failed attempts" setting? I believe our IT policy has a restriction of 10password attempts and then it wipes the device. I assume this can be applied to the picture password.

In regards to your other suggestion on installing SNAP first, the company will not provide me with the enterprise activation password. Thus, they will wipe the device first and then connect me to the BES. So I don't think it will work.
    Yes, see my post.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...7/#post9928167

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 11:04 AM
    Thanks for that. Your logic (and mathematical calculations) are over my head and couldn't follow it. But I'm sure it made more sense to those who are more mathematically inclined.

In any case, I have sent a message to our IT support team and we'll see what response I get. I already know that they will come back and tell me that it is insecure and they will not allow it, but I thought I would try anyway.
    02-04-14 10:38 AM

BlackBerry Balance man! What's wrong with them? That's what they made Balance for so you can enjoy the best of both worlds without compromising the security of the work side. That seems like ignorance and complacency on the part of your company's IT department. Have you tried downloading and installing BlackBerry Balance from BlackBerry World?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 10:52 AM