My daily driver is a Lumia 720, and I'm at the point where all the shine and newness has worn off and all it is now is simply a very beautiful, functional device that fits my daily needs. But I've gotten bored of it, like I always do, and I'm feeling the urge to upgrade within the next 6 months or so.

My phone prior to this was an Android, still can't say I like it much now. The design is so messy and inconsistent, and coming from WP, simple fade animations just don't cut it. I was planning to switch back to Android without a choice, but then while trying out the Z3 Compact I saw the Passport. I don't follow BB news and was just about to laugh at it's similarity to the LG Optimus Vu. That was before I picked it up and used it, and even though I didn't care much for the form factor or physical keyboard, I found myself liking it a lot, enjoying BB10.3. Much improved and elegant design in 10.3, and I really enjoyed playing around with it.

Now the main question I have is: How will the transition from WP to BB10 be? Coming from WP I've adapted not to use many apps anyway, but those that I do use I expect them to be good in design and function. Also, how much customization is present in BB10? Sure, it looks fluid and works well, at least with WP there's live tiles. I don't want my interest in the phone to be DOA. And lastly for choice of phone, are there any rumors of a refresh of the Z10? I really like the design and smaller form factor of that phone, especially in gorgeous white. But it seems a little dated now, and the reviews aren't great. Would you recommend it? Without the Z10 I would think my interest drops, I will not settle for design I don't like; devices like the Z30 just don't cut it.

Thanks a lot!
    10-10-14 10:54 AM
    Hmm I think it would be hard to find a BlackBerry 10 alternative the the Z10 as it's the only smaller full touch device right now.

Maybe there would be a successor with around the same footprint in the future?

Posted with my BlackBerry
    10-10-14 10:59 AM
    Reviews weren't great because the media wants BlackBerry to die. It's a sad fact. There are fair reviews out there though, you just gotta dig deeper.

There isn't much on the customization field. It will be like it is. No widgets, no fancy silly stuff. It's focus is on helping you do more, not eye candy. That said, the OS itself is really easy fluid and I dare say fun to use.

You'll get bored though and you'll want something else. You already stated this is how you work. I recommend reading The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg to work on that particular issue.
    10-10-14 11:03 AM
    I'd believe that for bigger tech sites like The Verge or CNET, but still the same thing coming from smaller reviewers. Any specific unbiased review to recommend though? My main concern is battery life, coming from my two day battery life on my current phone's light usage.

Oh I'm not looking for "fancy silly stuff". I don't want crazy launcher replacements like Android or anything, and the fluidity of the OS itself is eye candy enough for me. I'm all about efficiency, but I want my apps to work well and look nice. I don't need games or anything, but do general productivity/utility apps follow the design of the OS? That's one thing I really like about WP, not sure how that works in BB10.

As for getting bored with the OS, meh. I don't really mind getting bored with devices, I just need to fall back on an old Android for a few days and I'll be back appreciating my phone again. Animations and fluidity keep me hooked, I don't mind getting bored with stuff as long as I'm still getting content from apps and web itself. That said, that sounds like a pretty interesting book.
    10-10-14 11:33 AM
    I moved from Android to Z10 a month ago and that is the best decision I made.
    I would describe the OS as clean, precise and convenient. Does everything you want it to do. I have now become really dependent on it, and it comes with a perfect size. PocketNow did a review of Z10, so be sure to check it out. Cause it basically made me buy the Z10, and the price was right too.

Posted via CB10 on my Smart Black Z10
    10-10-14 11:39 AM
    I'd believe that for bigger tech sites like The Verge or CNET, but still the same thing coming from smaller reviewers. Any specific unbiased review to recommend though?

PocketNow. They are usually fair.

Oh I'm not looking for "fancy silly stuff". I don't want crazy launcher replacements like Android or anything, and the fluidity of the OS itself is eye candy enough for me. I'm all about efficiency, but I want my apps to work well and look nice. I don't need games or anything, but do general productivity/utility apps follow the design of the OS? That's one thing I really like about WP, not sure how that works in BB10.

Native apps do, android ports don't. Not a problem in any event, if you care about the outcome.

As for getting bored with the OS, meh. I don't really mind getting bored with devices, I just need to fall back on an old Android for a few days and I'll be back appreciating my phone again.

Rofl. So. Much. Truth.

Do get the book. Change for good is always welcome and change for good you control is the best kind of change.
    10-10-14 11:43 AM
    You are considerably better off with apps on BlackBerry in my opinion. Most Android apps work if you can't find them in BlackBerry World, and for big apps that don't BlackBerry dev's make great native clients for them.

The only thing you might not enjoy is there isn't really that much to customize compared to android, and maybe even windows phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 01:08 PM
    Though with android you will feel FORCED To customize because the out of box experience lacks, blackberry 10 doesn't feel that way at all.

Again this is my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 01:10 PM
    I'd like to say, blackberry 10 is the best thing you can get from a smartphone. And I'm not saying this like "ok, bb is the best os out there period". Maybe there is a lot of things that bb lacks, there's lot of apps that aren't just there. Probably you could point out 5 things blackberry does not have, that other phones do. And I'm sure I could point out easily 5 things BlackBerry does that other phones can't. But I think that's not the important part to analyze. I think great things could be epic, but the greatest things reside in the little things. In your daily life. How does that relates to bb? Well, I found blackberry the best way to do things in your phone, that you do on a daily basis. You can do those things in other platforms too. But BlackBerry just got it right, it's hard to explain, but it's the right way to do it. The BlackBerry is a powerful tool that teaches you how to get things done. You doesn't just use it, it makes your day by day better. It allows you to make things happen quick and easy, and the right way. Perhaps, like it happened to me, you will find yourself trying to do it in other platforms and you'll feel something it's not right. Maybe this is too general. But I'm talking about messaging, going through dozens of mails in about minutes, the hub, an smart *** calendar, a whole intuitive os that would scare your *** off knowing exactly what you need to do, and how to do it. I could keep on specifying but probably would take me forever. The point is, maybe we're not the ones to give you the best advice about what to do, but I would consider try it out if I were you. You have to feel it, then you'll know if it's cut out for you, or it isn't.

Also, if I were you, and as a z10 owner. I would wait until the z predecessor comes out. Why? The z10 is a great phone, maybe not the best, but great tool indeed. But, it will probably be receiving it's last major update late this year when 10.3.1 comes out. So seeing that we're close to that, I wouldn't buy the z10 for that reason. I'm not saying it's not good enough, but I love BlackBerry updates so much, and the whole new experience they bring, that I wouldn't be happy knowing that you'll not receive more major updates after the 10.3.1.
    I'm not 100 percent sure about, 10.3.1 being the Last update for the z10, but it's probably.

Conclusion : if I were you, I would try BlackBerry out, but if you are the z10 type, I would wait until it's predecessor comes out.

Hope this helps a little bit.
    10-10-14 02:54 PM
    There is a Z3 LTE being released that is basically an upgraded Z10. No idea when it is being released though.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 05:47 PM
    Thanks everyone, I'm now pretty much all for BB10 now. The efficiency and fluidity of it just sound so much more attractive, especially beside my other option, Android. I feel tempted to wait for a Z10 refresh, but it seems the only thing planned is a Z3 upgrade which isn't really an attractive phone. And I would also hate to wait for a Z10 refresh only to find out they made it huge, and that the Z10 is now discontinued. Thanks for all your input though, I hope I join you guys on BB10 soon.
    10-10-14 07:45 PM
    Thanks everyone, I'm now pretty much all for BB10 now. The efficiency and fluidity of it just sound so much more attractive, especially beside my other option, Android. I feel tempted to wait for a Z10 refresh, but it seems the only thing planned is a Z3 upgrade which isn't really an attractive phone. And I would also hate to wait for a Z10 refresh only to find out they made it huge, and that the Z10 is now discontinued. Thanks for all your input though, I hope I join you guys on BB10 soon.
    So are you getting a Z10 or BlackBerry Z3?
    I was a windows phone user (lumia 920) and I'll say that windows phone is a fun phone, I'll always customise my live tiles, but after a few years following windows phone I'll say I got quite bored with it.

Hence I switched to blackberry. Although customisation options are limited for looks, the actually customisation (for contacts notifications, hub etc) is much much more developed than windows phone.

However I'm not implying that windows phone is bad, it is just more rigid and fixed for you even though you can customise live tiles. (this is an advantage too if you like clean and consistent UI)
    For blackberry, it's settings and options are in fact more flexible than windows phone.

You can check out video reviews of blackberry, or type blackberry 10.3 and check out the new leaked OS to get a taste for what the new look and feel would be like

After all the blackberry phone you might be purchasing has an OS that should be updated in the near future to give a major UI refresh.

Hope this helps :-)

10-10-14 08:31 PM
    The Z3 isn't really an upgraded Z10.
    It is meant to be a cheaper option

The Z10 actually has better specs other than battery life if I am not wrong

Z10 4.2 inch HD
    Z3 5 inch qHD (lower resolution and bigger screen, much lower ppi)

However the Z3 has a much better battery life than the Z10.

10-10-14 08:33 PM
    Some people get decent battery life with the Z10, like me (16-18 hrs), but some get bad battery life (~6 hours). You won't know until you use it with your settings and it's settled. There is the battery charger bundle, though that will help extend the battery life.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 01:03 AM
    I love the performance of the Z10. I was torn between getting the Z10 and the Q10 so I ended up getting both lol. The Z10 runs apps better due to its larger screen (I can't get PerkTV to work on the Q10 but works flawlessly on my Z10). I do think the Z30 would be a better choice though.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 02:09 AM
    The Z3 isn't really an upgraded Z10.
    It is meant to be a cheaper option

The Z10 actually has better specs other than battery life if I am not wrong

Z10 4.2 inch HD
    Z3 5 inch qHD (lower resolution and bigger screen, much lower ppi)

However the Z3 has a much better battery life than the Z10.

The reality is that the Z3 is fractionally slower than the Z10, nothing to really notice. The screen is "technically" lower res, yes, but a day with it and you won't notice the difference. I also think the 5"size is pretty much perfect. The z10 feels small to me now.

via CB10 from my awesome BlackBerry Z3
    10-11-14 10:00 AM
    Ex WP user here..

I must tell you that, while I love the Z3 for everything it can do and the well thought out OS, I do miss Windows Phone. For me, it's a more elegant, usable OS. You can do many, many cool things with BB 10, but I miss Lives Tiles and the People Hub.

Give them both a try. Judge for yourself.

10-11-14 10:06 AM
    The reality is that the Z3 is fractionally slower than the Z10, nothing to really notice. The screen is "technically" lower res, yes, but a day with it and you won't notice the difference. I also think the 5"size is pretty much perfect. The z10 feels small to me now.

I see, thanks for clarifying
    Tried a Z3 in a shop a few times already, it's a nice blackberry.

Windows phone has a great people hub
    Me too I miss windows phone but I bet I'll miss blackberry if I went back.

Overall though I find BlackBerry 10 a better OS for my needs than windows phone.

jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-11-14 10:53 AM
    I live in a house of Windows Phones. I end up doing support on my wife's 920. In order of preference for me, BlackBerry, then WP, then iPhone then android.

The voice to text, text to voice of cortana is better than intelligent assistant. I would like IA, to barge in the way cortana does to tell me I have a message. And the overall voice control on WP seems to be better. But bb10 is more flexible to adjust to your desires. WP is catching up.

We have also had an iPhone and a couple androids.

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-12-14 03:37 PM
    I would choose android over iphone but I do like Windows Phone. The 8.1 update made a HUGE difference on Windows Phone for me. Cortana is better than Siri or Google Now in my opinion. I think the ability to clear all notifications with a two finger swipe in the Notification system is brilliant. I hated WP this time last year but now it's good enough for me to recommend it to someone that is looking for a good phone. (although I will always recommend BlackBerry 10 first)

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-13-14 09:22 AM
    I just made the switch from a WP7 phone.
    The basic are easy. On the other hand, I miss a lot of things about the Windows Phone OS that seem to be much more intuitive. The trust is that they are probably mostly just more familiar.
    My main gripe has been the new Passport keyboard. Specifically the virtual 4th row of keys.
    Additionally, the BB10 OS isn't capable of limiting individual apps from using mobile data. ... Restricting them to just being used when connected to the wi-fi. That was quite a shock for me as my data usage exploded for about a week, impacting 2 billing periods.
    The bottom line is that I think you'd face similar frustrations when transitioning to any other operating system.
    One thing you will very likely miss is the ability to customize your start screen with icons of different sizes. As a user interface, BB10 is functional, but you'll have a hard time making it "yours" if that makes sense.

My daily driver is a Lumia 720, and I'm at the point where all the shine and newness has worn off and all it is now is simply a very beautiful, functional device that fits my daily needs. But I've gotten bored of it, like I always do, and I'm feeling the urge to upgrade within the next 6 months or so.

My phone prior to this was an Android, still can't say I like it much now. The design is so messy and inconsistent, and coming from WP, simple fade animations just don't cut it. I was planning to switch back to Android without a choice, but then while trying out the Z3 Compact I saw the Passport. I don't follow BB news and was just about to laugh at it's similarity to the LG Optimus Vu. That was before I picked it up and used it, and even though I didn't care much for the form factor or physical keyboard, I found myself liking it a lot, enjoying BB10.3. Much improved and elegant design in 10.3, and I really enjoyed playing around with it.

Now the main question I have is: How will the transition from WP to BB10 be? Coming from WP I've adapted not to use many apps anyway, but those that I do use I expect them to be good in design and function. Also, how much customization is present in BB10? Sure, it looks fluid and works well, at least with WP there's live tiles. I don't want my interest in the phone to be DOA. And lastly for choice of phone, are there any rumors of a refresh of the Z10? I really like the design and smaller form factor of that phone, especially in gorgeous white. But it seems a little dated now, and the reviews aren't great. Would you recommend it? Without the Z10 I would think my interest drops, I will not settle for design I don't like; devices like the Z30 just don't cut it.

Thanks a lot!
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-14-14 09:33 AM
    Yes, the Windows Phone contact management function is probably one of their biggest strengths. Definitely stronger than the BB10 equivalent, in my opinion.

Overall though I find BlackBerry 10 a better OS for my needs than windows phone.

jefbeard911 likes this.
    10-14-14 09:38 AM
    A bit old, but good for the record.

10-14-14 01:34 PM

Coming from a Lumia 925 (and having had a Lumia 800 before) the people hub and all the Here stuff (maps, drive, transport and city lens) is what I miss most (and the 925's camera).
    But then, remembering the troubles I had with the Lumia, when trying to send pictures via email (never really worked for me ) or just whenever I'm using the BB10 browser, I know that my Lumia will just stay where it is: in the drawer of my desk

Posted via CB10
    diegonei and Nature Slice like this.
    10-14-14 04:56 PM
    Coming from a Lumia 925 (and having had a Lumia 800 before) the people hub and all the Here stuff (maps, drive, transport and city lens) is what I miss most (and the 925's camera).
    But then, remembering the troubles I had with the Lumia, when trying to send pictures via email (never really worked for me ) or just whenever I'm using the BB10 browser, I know that my Lumia will just stay where it is: in the drawer of my desk

Posted via CB10
    Nice and same thoughts!
    For me I used a second hand 920 for about 10 weeks then it was passed on to someone else.

So being a windows phone since 2011, I was really set to buy the 925. But by the time it reached my shores the 1020 was announced and I almost bought it later on.

Thankfully the 1020 was announced and I waited for it as during the wait the BlackBerry Z30 was announced and now it's my great phone! (in the end I chose Z30 over 1020,and no regrets )

For me I got bored of windows phone and found the changes slow and little, it was a matter of camera vs OS

10-15-14 10:50 PM
29 12