Hi,

So I had a Blackberry years ago then went back to dumb phones before ending up with an iPhone 3GS, a quick pop back to a Sony CMD-Z1 (love being back on this ancient phone but the battery was a nightmare and text messages over 160 characters were out of the question) and now a 4S.

In my Blackberry days updating OS's and downloading apps wasn't important, or even done, as far as I knew.

I live on a boat and my iPhone is my only computer and only source of internet. It is possible to get on a computer at work but I'm not tied to a desk or computer that I can play about with and I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be able to install anything. They have hundreds of ****ty thin clients that are fine for what we need but struggle even with graphical ads if I log into Yahoo mail once in a while.

So, I have one major question which is stopping me going out and getting a Q10 (although open to Z30 and Z10 too). Can the OS be updated over just Wi-Fi without plugging into a computer. This is what my iPhone does and its essential to me and to be honest I can't be bothered to plug in and mess about.

The same applies to side loading apps. Does this require me to plug into a computer or can I just download and use them? I don't know what I'll need to side loadó maybe Google maps?

Regular apps can just be download over 3G or Wi-Fi too I'd guess. But it's best to check isn't it!

Other than that, I've took a look at the Blackberry App Store and the main things I use are available:
    EBay
    Natwest
    HulloMail (absolutely amazing!)
    Spotfiy
    Viber
    Whatsapp
    The Independent

I am a grown up, with a life so I'm not looking or games. I think the above is a pretty good selection of what I'd need on my phone.

One last one, do you guys have Google maps? I couldn't see it in the Blackberry world. I've tried Apple maps and Nokia's Here (is that what it was called?) on the iPhone and they were both spectacularly useless. Or, do you use something else entirely. I do think Google results are important tough after seeing the abomination that Apple forced on us for a while.

I can't believe how far 'phones have came since I left BB and went to that dark side. My main reason for coming back is not being happy with typing on the iPhone's touch screen and it does seem to crash a lot these days and my girlfriends has deleted all of her contacts twice. Weirdly, it crashes or behaves poorly on the Crackberry website quite regularly!

So, I'm ready to come back. I just need the last push to get over the hill. I'm not worried about the future of BB in the slightest so don't bother with the doom and gloom, it's not a factor for me.
    Last edited by jamescarruthers; 10-12-13 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Didn't bash apple enough first time!
    10-12-13 04:43 AM
    Short answer: yes

Long answer: The official updates that are approved by your carrier will be available in the Software Update section in the options menu. This can be downloaded and installed OTA.

It is only the leaked OS's that require a computer to install. AFAIK, the 10.2 is officially being distributed with the carriers sometime soon. But the official one being pushed by carriers is 10.1.xx.

Though side loading any apps will require a PC or a paid app.

Google maps is not here but there is a Map App that uses the Google Maps API: Bemaps 10. You can find it in The App World. I think it is like $3.

You're not going to get all of those apps without side loading them. Also, side loading works better on the 10.2.0.xx leaks since they use the Jelly Bean runtime.

Whatsapp has a great implementation on BB10 though.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    finallybb likes this.
    10-12-13 04:48 AM
    Yes, the BlackBerry has OTA OS upgrades. Others might answer to the app questions. I do not use slide loading so can not answer to that either.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Z30
    10-12-13 04:50 AM
    OS can be updated over wifi without computer. Unless you want to install a leak, then you'll need a computer. But normal OS updates work smoothly over wifi without needing a computer.

AFAIK sideloading apps requires a computer. I believe there is an app in development to let you sideload without a computer but I haven't followed it's progress lately. I think it needed to be sideloaded, but once its installed you can sideload android apps over the air.

Google maps isn't available natively but with the android runtime leak you can sideload the new Google Maps and it works flawlessly!

I have a Q10 and love its battery life and real keyboard. Come back to BB and you won't be disappointed!

Posted via Q10 on CB10
    10-12-13 04:53 AM
    I'm not sure all of the apps you list are available on BlackBerry OS10 without side loading, at least in the UK. Have you thought about a tablet or small laptop as your main computer, and tethering with a phone for an internet connection. The price of both of those would be equivalent to a higher end phone and you would have the benefit of a larger screen to do work or for entertainment and the freedom/mobility of the phone with good battery life for when you are out and about. A Windows (not RT) tablet/laptop would be a good choice for around 250 pounds together with a BlackBerry Q5 if you can find one for around 200.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 05:29 AM
    I hope this isn't considered too far off the thread theme but you'll find several advantages to using a BB10 over the iPhone in your circumstances. I, too, made that same switch and I've also spent a lot of time on boats.

1) the phone is very easy to connect to other people's computers without needing to install any programmes, drivers or the dreaded iTunes. You can connect over wifi provided you're on the same network and your BB10 will simply show up as another drive. You can also switch your phone to USB mode and plug it into the other computer. Yet another great way is to get a micro SD card and using the accompanying adapter plug into the computer's card reader, if available.

2) BB10 handles standard file types so there is no conversion process needed to use them. You can play just about any media format that you download off the Web or copy from someone else's inventory.

3) if you have a TV screen then you'll almost certainly be able to plug your phone directly into it with an HDMI cable and perhaps another converter plug depending on your TV inputs.

4) BB10 phones have excellent phone reception which may or may not be an issue depending on where you're moored and how far away from land you typically go.

5) you can easily back up files and messages onto a removable micro SD card and keep that one separate from your phone for safety. You may have to purchase an app or two for the messages and contacts but the built-in File Manager works incredibly well to transfer files between your device, the SD card and your Dropbox or Box account.

There are many, many other advantages which have been covered in other threads but these are the ones that should be most helpful to you.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 09:03 AM
    Thank you everyone. I took the plunge yesterday and got a Q10 after taking your advice on board.

I'm impressed with the OS but I can see why, unless you are determined like I was to come back, people give up on BB10 because it's definitely not intuitive like iOS is, straight out of the box. A bit of perseverance and I'm getting faster at getting around BB10 now.

Overall, I'm very happy with BB10. It has lots of clever little ways about it that I like although *I'm* still clumsy as I retrain my brain to work it all out.

And you are right about the reception in bad areas... it's fantastic compared to my old iPhone. And... what did they make my iPhone out of? It weighs a tonne compared to this Q10.

I'm running 10.2.0.429 which is the latest available from Three in the UK. I have found Sideswipe and thought I'd give sideloading Hullomail a shot as this is the only app I feel I am having trouble living without. Maybe Viber too?

Where on earth do I get the Android Apk or bar files from for these please? I've seen a list somewhere on Crackberry but its eluding me at the minute.

Or, do I need the later OS release to do this successfully? Bear in mind I don't have easy access to a computer!

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    11-29-13 12:31 PM
    Curious to know if you took in the tutorials etc or are just winging it? BB10 is definitely a new OS and not just a rehash of the same old, same old.

There is a learning curve, for sure but totally worth it.

!

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    11-29-13 05:37 PM
    Hi,

So I had a Blackberry years ago then went back to dumb phones before ending up with an iPhone 3GS, a quick pop back to a Sony CMD-Z1 (love being back on this ancient phone but the battery was a nightmare and text messages over 160 characters were out of the question) and now a 4S.

In my Blackberry days updating OS's and downloading apps wasn't important, or even done, as far as I knew.

I live on a boat and my iPhone is my only computer and only source of internet. It is possible to get on a computer at work but I'm not tied to a desk or computer that I can play about with and I'm fairly sure I wouldn't be able to install anything. They have hundreds of ****ty thin clients that are fine for what we need but struggle even with graphical ads if I log into Yahoo mail once in a while.

So, I have one major question which is stopping me going out and getting a Q10 (although open to Z30 and Z10 too). Can the OS be updated over just Wi-Fi without plugging into a computer. This is what my iPhone does and its essential to me and to be honest I can't be bothered to plug in and mess about.

The same applies to side loading apps. Does this require me to plug into a computer or can I just download and use them? I don't know what I'll need to side loadó maybe Google maps?

Regular apps can just be download over 3G or Wi-Fi too I'd guess. But it's best to check isn't it!

Other than that, I've took a look at the Blackberry App Store and the main things I use are available:
    EBay
    Natwest
    HulloMail (absolutely amazing!)
    Spotfiy
    Viber
    Whatsapp
    The Independent

I am a grown up, with a life so I'm not looking or games. I think the above is a pretty good selection of what I'd need on my phone.

One last one, do you guys have Google maps? I couldn't see it in the Blackberry world. I've tried Apple maps and Nokia's Here (is that what it was called?) on the iPhone and they were both spectacularly useless. Or, do you use something else entirely. I do think Google results are important tough after seeing the abomination that Apple forced on us for a while.

I can't believe how far 'phones have came since I left BB and went to that dark side. My main reason for coming back is not being happy with typing on the iPhone's touch screen and it does seem to crash a lot these days and my girlfriends has deleted all of her contacts twice. Weirdly, it crashes or behaves poorly on the Crackberry website quite regularly!

So, I'm ready to come back. I just need the last push to get over the hill. I'm not worried about the future of BB in the slightest so don't bother with the doom and gloom, it's not a factor for me.
    I have only updated my Q over wi fi.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    11-29-13 05:38 PM
    On 10.2.1 update you can install Apks directly from your phone

Via theZed10
    11-29-13 10:39 PM