I would Love to know the True story on why Google held out on BlackBerry for updating to at least Kit Kat Dalvik. I still say they felt threatened and will always think this.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-17 08:47 PM
    I would Love to know the True story on why Google held out on BlackBerry for updating to at least Kit Kat Dalvik. I still say they felt threatened and will always think this.

Posted via CB10
    Nah. Just standard OHA regulations.
    08-19-17 11:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    There's no mystery to it. Actually, it's just Google's standard operating procedure. No one who signs up to use Google Play Services is allowed to also have a forked android on their devices. You also can't have a dual-booting device either. Asus tried dual-booting with Windows and got a letter from Google's lawyers explaining to Asus how they are violating the OHA agreement. They can have a separate device with another OS, just not on the same device.

Google actually did allow one concession to BlackBerry. They did allow BlackBerry to maintain the existing android runtime in BB10 at the time Google and BlackBerry made their agreement to license full android with Google services for the Priv. BlackBerry was (and still is) not allowed to further develop the runtime beyond Jelly Bean.

And, honestly, in what way would Google feel "threatened" by anything BlackBerry did? Even when BlackBerry was free to develop the open-source android runtime, it didn't really hold a candle to Google's implementation. And, it's not like any newer android apps will magically run better on 3 and 4 year old hardware now.
    08-19-17 11:42 PM
    do you think if google had an exception with BB updating the RT, could be possible to keep "alive" OS10? or would be the same as today
    08-20-17 09:13 AM
    do you think if google had an exception with BB updating the RT, could be possible to keep "alive" OS10? or would be the same as today
    The bigger problem is the lack of Google Play Services. And that would never be permitted - exception or not - because of the lack of true compatibility.
    Mauri5io and DreadPirateRegan like this.
    08-20-17 10:16 AM
    I do, not as in now would be tough but back then, moreso as well as google play services not existing or being able to use it for apps that require it. I really think BB10 is that good and I still have very few limitations and see little to no issues for least a few more years however the few limits here and there make up for it by far many more positives I can not get on any other OS. I literally enjoy using this OS versus other I just "use" the OS. Especially the Passports.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-17 07:09 PM
    The bigger problem is the lack of Google Play Services. And that would never be permitted - exception or not - because of the lack of true compatibility.
    Without a doubt. What is it besides what it does? Could apps do it without? Yes! Because apps do the same without it. It's all a facade app which is why I call it the "Google tramp stamp" in which they allow others to do the work as in these awesome apps then pay to tramp stamp it for it to fully function. What other reasons besides to keep a strong foot hold? In a way, they did block out BB10! BB10 also blocked itself as well in ways. But they definitely contributed IMO. This is why Cobalt is our BlackBerry GOD. I hope he receives plenty of donations. He is a true blue living day "Aaron Swartz" who believes "free apps are for the people" just as Aaron believed knowledge should be free and for the people. At least so it seems... #MuchRespect

Now the question, was he on the passport when updated the last time (seen he's not as of now for daily driver) as not sure if ever in need, if even possible to reverse engineer them again or if he will or not but I think so... However I appreciate what he gave to us thus far and even when it's Game over, will always remember his name when I think of BB.. BB10 has more of a future with Cobalt then BlackBerry Itself.. sad.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-17 07:16 PM
    Without a doubt. What is it besides what it does? Could apps do it without? Yes!
    Sure. But they would require a lot more work to make. Google Play Services is like a huge repository of libraries that save developers a lot of time. It also contains Play Protect, which scans apps for security issues - before and after being installed.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-20-17 08:30 PM
    Hi, I meet problem recently. Everyday, I got a message " you need update your account ". When I click on that just go to Google account app.

What I should do to ride off it?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    08-21-17 05:50 AM
    google play services is the scurge of the app world.

Posted via CBX
    08-21-17 03:29 PM

Posted via CBX
    Or a developer's best friend.
    08-21-17 03:32 PM

Posted via CBX
    I agree! Hah..

Posted via CB10
    08-21-17 03:39 PM
    Hello,

I got the Google Maps apk from apkpure.com, and when I analyze it in the patcher, the patcher tells me that this apk doesn't need to be patched. I put the apk on my phone and try to install the app, and am told "Unable to install this app." Does anyone know where I can get a Google Maps apk that I -can- patch, or one that is already patched?

Thank you
    08-22-17 12:45 PM
    Hello,

I got the Google Maps apk from apkpure.com, and when I analyze it in the patcher, the patcher tells me that this apk doesn't need to be patched. I put the apk on my phone and try to install the app, and am told "Unable to install this app." Does anyone know where I can get a Google Maps apk that I -can- patch, or one that is already patched?

Thank you
    Move the Patcher folder to be just off your root folder.

And btw, use Cobalt's Play Store to get your apps. Otherwise you may not get the correct variant.
    08-22-17 04:26 PM
    Hello,

Thank you
    Here's the version before last updated pre-patched works for me. I am pretty sure it's already white listed. Conite will know. GL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxM...w?usp=drivesdk

Posted via CB10
    08-22-17 04:33 PM
    Move the Patcher folder to be just off your root folder.

And btw, use Cobalt's Play Store to get your apps. Otherwise you may not get the correct variant.
    So TRUE, I was getting X86 over Arm voxer and wondering why it was running like garbage! Must get the apk on the phone your using or pay close attention! Huge tip! Great tip!

If you grab it via your windows, it's x86 if the .apk works that way. Some do, some don't!

I wonder how many people have this issue and don't know!

Mistake it for not working..

...as NO blackberry was ever x86 least to my knowledge.

#ARM

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DreadPirateRegan; 08-22-17 at 05:05 PM.
    08-22-17 04:34 PM
    Thank you. I will try that and post back with how it goes

But also, maybe that isn't necessary, because I changed the name of the original file from

Maps Navigation Transit_v9.59.1_apkpure.com.apk

to just

Maps.apk

And put it in the patcher and it patched it fine. But then I put the patched file onto my BlackBerry Classic Q20 and when I tried to install it I still go the "Unable to install" notification. But -then-, I just downloaded Google Maps from the Yalp Store, and it works fine, it's rather slow (like so slow that I'll probably just use the built-in maps), but I am guessing that is just because of my phone? And doesn't have anything to do with patching it or Play Services? (It doesn't even give me the notification that "this requires Google Play Services" or anything).

Also, for context, I have already installed Google Play Services and the other necessary files Cobalt has provided, and I have patched various apps with his patcher and successfully use various Android apps (that require google play services) on my BlackBerry Classic Q20.

Anyway, I will try what you suggested as well, unless you think that it is not necessary.

Thank you
    08-22-17 04:37 PM
    Thank you. Cobalt's Play Store meaning the Google Play Store file that he has provided in his share folder? Actually, I installed that and it doesn't work for me. It constantly gives me "Error retrieving information from server. [RH-01]".
    08-22-17 04:41 PM
    Thank you. Cobalt's Play Store meaning the Google Play Store file that he has provided in his share folder? Actually, I installed that and it doesn't work for me. It constantly gives me "Error retrieving information from server. [RH-01]".
    And now, for some reason, CrackBerry neglected to publish the post that I made immediately before this. What a joke.
    08-22-17 04:42 PM
    You need to install the whole stack correctly.
    08-22-17 04:42 PM
    I mentioned in a post that Crackberry wonderfully deleted, that I installed BlackBerry Google ID, I installed GSF login the correct way, Google Play Services, the Whitelist, etc., as instructed by Cobalt, and I have successfully patched numerous apps that won't run without Google Play Services and I successfully use multiple Android apps on my BlackBerry Classic Q20, that normally require google play services.

But wonderfully, Crackberry decided not to publish that post.

I'll be really, really, really, really, really, really, really happy if CrackBerry decides not to publish this post either.
    08-22-17 04:49 PM
    LMC where I stored your Quote of how to instal then which l thought was perfect and short, to the point. I know it's around on my phone. I need to get more organized, less apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-17 04:51 PM
    I mentioned in a post that Crackberry wonderfully deleted, that I installed BlackBerry Google ID, I installed GSF login the correct way, Google Play Services, the Whitelist, etc., as instructed by Cobalt, and I have successfully patched numerous apps that won't run without Google Play Services and I successfully use multiple Android apps on my BlackBerry Classic Q20, that normally require google play services.

But wonderfully, Crackberry decided not to publish that post.

I'll be really, really, really, really, really, really, really happy if CrackBerry decides not to publish this post either.
    It's probably NOT Crackberry dude, just saying. Geez..

Are you using the .apk over the native, right? If so, may be your connection at that moment...

It has more but works harder within the runtime. I use both. Native cascades for most and when I need to check pm's or add photos, I swap over.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-17 04:52 PM
    It's probably NOT Crackberry dude, just saying. Geez..

Are you using the .apk over the native, right? If so, may be your connection at that moment...

It has more but works harder within the runtime. I use both. Native cascades for most and when I need to check pm's or add photos, I swap over.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it is Crackberry. I made another post, which they have also neglected to post, because it "still has to be approved by the moderators". So I guess a 2-sentence post doesn't need to be approved, but a longer post does. What a joke.

Honestly, I'm so fired up about this that I'm over this right now. I'll probably check back later when I'm more calm so I can actually try the suggestions I have received.
    08-22-17 04:57 PM
    Actually, it is Crackberry. I made another post, which they have also neglected to post, because it "still has to be approved by the moderators". So I guess a 2-sentence post doesn't need to be approved, but a longer post does. What a joke.

Honestly, I'm so fired up about this that I'm over this right now. I'll probably check back later when I'm more calm so I can actually try the suggestions I have received.
    Oh, your a new member or new name -
    so they can't verify your not a troll yet?....

Way to make an impression!

Welcome! LOL..

You don't think we all went thru this?

I once had to change my name, they did it for me in a timely fashion considering this is a free service. #excellent

Very helpful, smart people around here so, so that I ended up in the Non blackberry forums ON crackberry.com...

Be cool man.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-17 04:58 PM
9,813 ... 352353354355356 ...