I have installed hundreds and hundreds of Android apps on my BB10 devices, and have NEVER once had an issue with updating. I've never once come across a developer switching signatures mid-stream.

The only issue that pops up here occasionally is when someone tries to install a patched update over an older unpatched app, or vice-versa - obviously due to mismatched signatures.
    You seem to have had a different experience than many BB10 users.

The recommended best practice is, again, to uninstall the old app and install the new version IF you cannot upgrade it directly. (Be aware that you may want to back up your Android app data using Sachesi/DBBT/Link before doing this if you have saved playlists or something just in case.)
    10-02-19 12:04 AM
    You seem to have had a different experience than many BB10 users.

The recommended best practice is, again, to uninstall the old app and install the new version IF you cannot upgrade it directly. (Be aware that you may want to back up your Android app data using Sachesi/DBBT/Link before doing this if you have saved playlists or something just in case.)
    No, that's not the best practice. It would require setting up the app again. There is no need for it whatsoever.
    10-02-19 12:05 AM
    No, that's not the best practice. It would require setting up the app again. There is no need for it whatsoever.
    Except if you can't upgrade an app directly, which many can't do. As far as "setting the app up again," that would only be needed for custom data such as playlists/preferences whatever, which can and should be backed up just in case as I mentioned.

People can always make their own judgments and evaluate our respective arguments based on how they view them. I maintain best practice, when one cannot upgrade an Android app directly, is to uninstall it and then install the newer version, backing up app data as needed beforehand.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    10-02-19 12:11 AM
    Except if you can't upgrade an app directly, which many can't do. As far as "setting the app up again," that would only be needed for custom data such as playlists/preferences whatever, which can and should be backed up just in case as I mentioned.

People can always make their own judgments and evaluate our respective arguments based on how they view them. I maintain best practice, when one cannot upgrade an Android app directly, is to uninstall it and then install the newer version, backing up app data as needed beforehand.
    Since we're talking Android, specifically apps for Android being side loaded, wouldn't the whole signature issue also be a problem for Android users as well? Basically, wouldn't the reason you're suggesting affect both Android or BB10 users the same way?

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-02-19 06:28 AM
    Since we're talking Android, specifically apps for Android being side loaded, wouldn't the whole signature issue also be a problem for Android users as well? Basically, wouldn't the reason you're suggesting affect both Android or BB10 users the same way?

Posted via CB10
    Even a full Android device would not tolerate a signature change, and would reject the "update".

The only reason people have upgrade issues on BB10 is because they are sourcing apps from different stores (many developers change their sigs between Play Store and Amazon for instance), or they are obtaining patched or unpatched apps which differ from what they already have installed.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-02-19 06:47 AM
    Even a full Android device would not tolerate a signature change, and would reject the "update".

The only reason people have upgrade issues on BB10 is because they are sourcing apps from different stores (many developers change their sigs between Play Store and Amazon for instance), or they are obtaining patched or unpatched apps which differ from what they already have installed.
    Got it. Learned something new and confirmed I know very little of this IT stuff.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-19 06:51 AM

Or worse there is a middle man altering code and repackaging
    Last edited by howarmat; 10-02-19 at 08:39 AM.
    conite and Mecca EL like this.
    10-02-19 07:12 AM
    I do know that some android apps will not update on my Passport and the message comes up "That the keys do not match and to uninstall previous version". Not sure why that occurs, but occur it does.

Could it be apps from BBW that have had sigs changed?

Posted via my Passport
    10-02-19 11:47 AM
    I do know that some android apps will not update on my Passport and the message comes up "That the keys do not match and to uninstall previous version". Not sure why that occurs, but occur it does.

Could it be apps from BBW that have had sigs changed?

Posted via my Passport
    Yes. Ported Android apps in BlackBerry World have different signatures than their original Android counterparts. Likewise many apps in the Amazon Appstore.

As an example, I can (or could) use my BlackBerry developer signature to repackage an Android apk when converting to bar.
    10-02-19 12:03 PM
    .. .. I can (or could) use my BlackBerry developer signature .. .. when converting to bar.
    Hmm. So, setting aside copyright issues, could you in principle convert any application currently available through BBW to bar, and stash it away for later use?
    Just asking! There are just a couple for which I've found no practicable satisfactory non-BBW alternative, and I'm wondering how I'll cope after the Apocalypse.
    Incidentally this must be an anxiety common to us all, though we'll all have different favourites. Maybe some central discussion thread would be a good idea?
    Can anybody recommend a good but sparse* GPS app that also shows "distance covered" since some arbitrary starting point and "current speed"?
    * I don't want or need a fancy front end with speedo dials and other sophistications.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-19 10:32 PM
    Hmm. So, setting aside copyright issues, could you in principle convert any application currently available through BBW to bar, and stash it away for later use?
    Just asking! There are just a couple for which I've found no practicable satisfactory non-BBW alternative, and I'm wondering how I'll cope after the Apocalypse.
    Incidentally this must be an anxiety common to us all, though we'll all have different favourites. Maybe some central discussion thread would be a good idea?
    Can anybody recommend a good but sparse* GPS app that also shows "distance covered" since some arbitrary starting point and "current speed"?
    * I don't want or need a fancy front end with speedo dials and other sophistications.

Posted via CB10
    You haven't had to convert to bar to install an Android app on BB10 since late 2013 with OS 10.2.1.

All BlackBerry World apps are bar files - and a decent percentage of them are already converted (ported) Android apps.

When BlackBerry World becomes inaccessible, we can still find some super-old Android apps to install, and some former BlackBerry World apps that the developers have released separately.
    10-02-19 10:35 PM
36 12