01-22-19 01:41 AM
38 12
tools
    ...Why then go run to a PC (and if I'm out of the house or office... not really possible), plug the phone cable in, go find an autoloader, and start it up, shutting down the aforementioned three apps, then unplug before the actual loading starts...
    I think we've already established clarity that the OP doesn't actually go get a cable and autoloader just to get all the frames closed at once, but rather he was using that situation to explain that he thinks technically the phone/OS can do it, but the feature (a close all button) just wasn't implemented.

Seems to me it would not ever have been more than a "nice to have" and that's probably why it was never an implemented feature.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    01-21-19 10:53 AM
    I think we've already established clarity that the OP doesn't actually go get a cable and autoloader just to get all the frames closed at once, but rather he was using that situation to explain that he thinks technically the phone/OS can do it, but the feature (a close all button) just wasn't implemented.

Seems to me it would not ever have been more than a "nice to have" and that's probably why it was never an implemented feature.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Okay.

I guess I missed that establishment.

There were a lot of things BB10 could have done that was technically feasible and would have been nice to have, but never happened. I had a running list that I'd send to development every chance I got (usually when they'd do those user surveys, or on their old support site).

I'm still waiting on full support for Outlook contact categories... ;-)
    01-21-19 11:24 AM

I'm still waiting on full support for Outlook contact categories... ;-)
    Coming Soon
    01-21-19 11:44 AM
    With BB10 the ability to execute the closing of multiple apps is possible. The ensuing consequences of doing so are likely why BlackBerry never looked at it as a feature.

One issue is the need to maintain security at all times. The closure of multiple items is not necessarily a security risk but could be exploited at the user level. It would never get to the kernel though.
    The other and more probable reason is that when you close multiple items that are still active you would get a lag in CPU processes and the system would slow down perceptively enough depending on the amount of processes to cause user dissatisfaction and battery life problems.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-19 11:46 AM
    Note that just because one can't think of a reason as to why it would be a useful or nice feature to have (i.e. the immediatel closure of open apps), doesn't neccesitate that no reason (or reasons) exists.
    01-21-19 11:58 AM
    Note that just because one can't think of a reason as to why it would be a useful or nice feature to have (i.e. the immediatel closure of open apps), doesn't neccesitate that no reason (or reasons) exists.
    Of course.

But I can literally think of 100 things that would have been higher on my list of things I wish BB10 could have done. And we all have different lists.
    mh1983 likes this.
    01-21-19 12:08 PM
    Of course.

But I can literally think of 100 things that would have been higher on my list of things I wish BB10 could have done. And we all have different lists.
    It seems you're getting mixed up between "could have done", with "should have done". There are loads of things BB10 should have done, but developers couldn't have done technically, due to Blackberry disabling the ability (for whatever reason). E.g. it's impossible to build an app/scheduler to auto turn off Wifi for example (even though BBOS7 allowed it). I'm not talking such scenarios.

I'm talking about a low hanging fruit (in this case close all apps) that could have been implemeted easily by a 3rd party developer but was never done.
    01-21-19 12:23 PM
    It seems you're getting mixed up between "could have done", with "should have done". There are loads of things BB10 should have done, but developers couldn't have done technically, due to Blackberry disabling the ability (for whatever reason). E.g. it's impossible to build an app/scheduler to auto turn off Wifi for example (even though BBOS7 allowed it). I'm not talking such scenarios.

I'm talking about a low hanging fruit (in this case close all apps) that could have been implemeted easily by a 3rd party developer but was never done.
    Yet this is the first I've heard of this request in 6 years.

But let's talk about "select all" in the File Manager. That fruit is stuck in my shoe.
    01-21-19 12:26 PM

Could it?

Sounds like a base UI modification that would affect the memory status of another running app. Don't know that BlackBerry would allow that, even if it could leave headless apps alone (which it would have to).

The system initiates the app shut-down in preparation for an OS load if you you start up an autoloader - that's technically BlackBerry doing that, BTW, since the actual portion of the autoloader that does all the work is actually from BlackBerry.
    01-21-19 12:45 PM
    I guess I missed that establishment.
    What, again? That's twice you missed it now. Funny thing is, on page one, I directly explained to you the premise behind my thread, which you acknowledged (post number 15).

But later on you repeated the same thing, somehow believing that I actually hook up a USB and run the autoloader to close all apps.

Let's hope you don't mention the same thing a 3rd time eh.
    Last edited by bb_geezer; 01-21-19 at 03:26 PM.
    01-21-19 03:01 PM
    Could it?
    I don't know. This is the question I asked in the beginning.

The system initiates the app shut-down in preparation for an OS load if you you start up an autoloader - that's technically BlackBerry doing that, BTW, since the actual portion of the autoloader that does all the work is actually from BlackBerry.
    Fair point, but at the very least it proves that the BB10 OS is not technically averse to such a functionality.
    01-21-19 03:06 PM
    Fair point, but at the very least it proves that the BB10 OS is not technically averse to such a functionality.
    Unless it's a functional aversion.

"Technically" BB10 could allow root.

Doesn't mean they would have ever done it.

I'll admit that it's all speculation on my part.
    01-21-19 04:23 PM
    Yep, exactly.

No, I don't do it; rather I'm saying that this is currently the only way I know of (i.e. the autoloader).

So I searched online, but couldn't find a local way to do it. Maybe I'm missing something, hence asking this forum. Are you aware of any way to close all active frames at the same time? Thanks.

Yeah it's possible. Simply attach your phone via USB to your PC, and run the autoloader, which will then close all your open apps. (Obviously detach the USB cable if you don't wanna wipe your phone, heh).
    And if we forget to detach, it will wipe the whole device and we don't require to close or open any tasks
    01-22-19 01:41 AM
38 12