I know it's possible to close all apps at once, because I have a PC software which does this.

I'm wondering why hasn't this been done locally, i.e. a software running on the actual BB10 device iself.

Why the need to go through a PC / attaching USB cable...

Thanks.
    01-20-19 12:33 PM
    I know it's possible to close all apps at once, because I have a PC software which does this.

I'm wondering why hasn't this been done locally, i.e. a software running on the actual BB10 device iself.

Thanks.
    You want to close your 8 active frames on BB10 at the same time?

And you hook your device to your PC to do this now?

Confused.
    01-20-19 01:26 PM

Thanks.
    What do you mean "go through a PC" ?

How in the heck do you close apps on the phone from a PC?

First I've heard of that.
    01-20-19 03:00 PM
    You want to close your 8 active frames on BB10 at the same time?
    Yep, exactly.

And you hook your device to your PC to do this now?
    No, I don't do it; rather I'm saying that this is currently the only way I know of (i.e. the autoloader).

So I searched online, but couldn't find a local way to do it. Maybe I'm missing something, hence asking this forum. Are you aware of any way to close all active frames at the same time? Thanks.

How in the heck do you close apps on the phone from a PC?
    First I've heard of that.
    Yeah it's possible. Simply attach your phone via USB to your PC, and run the autoloader, which will then close all your open apps. (Obviously detach the USB cable if you don't wanna wipe your phone, heh).
    01-20-19 04:04 PM
    Yep, exactly.

No, I don't do it; rather I'm saying that this is currently the only way I know of (i.e. the autoloader).

So I searched online, but couldn't find a local way to do it. Maybe I'm missing something, hence asking this forum. Are you aware of any way to close all active frames at the same time? Thanks.

Yeah it's possible. Simply attach your phone via USB to your PC, and run the autoloader, which will then close all your open apps. (Obviously detach the USB cable if you don't wanna wipe your phone, heh).
    What does the use of an autoloader have anything to do with closing active frames on your device? Perform a security wipe on your device if you want to blow up your phone in a similar way.

But no, there is no "close all" function.
    01-20-19 04:08 PM
    You have got to be kidding me. Really?

Talk about using a sledgehammer to do something that only needs a screwdriver.

So, just tapping that little "x" on the bottom right corner of each active frame of each of the eight app (takes, maybe, less than 10 seconds to do) is harder to do than hooking up to a PC and running an autoloader?
    01-20-19 04:14 PM
    What does the use of an autoloader have anything to do with closing active frames on your device?
    Like I said, you can run the autoloader, it will close all active frames, then simply pull out the usb cable (before it wipes your phone and re-installs the OS).

Perform a security wipe on your device if you want to blow up your phone in a similar way.
    Who's talking about wiping the phone here? I told you, the Autoloader's first step is to immediately close all open apps, only then does it proceed with the re-install of the BB10 OS, which can easily be cancelled by pulling the plug after all apps are closed. The "security wipe" feature on BB10 phones doesn't have this initial step where it firstly closes all apps. It just wipes your phone. Neither does it give the ability to end the process (especially if battery isn't removable like the Classic).

So one can't compare the security wipe to the Autoloader in this respect all. Your idea WILL wipe the phone. No need to give out wrong advice here.

But no, there is no "close all" function.
    I see. But technically it should be possible. If a PC software can do it, I don't see why a local software can't do the same.
    01-20-19 04:23 PM
    I think there is a "close all" ability with Android. I think he's wondering why there wasn't something similar with BB10. I don't think he actually uses the auto loader and cable to do it, but used that as an example of a scenario when the phone can do it, and therefore wondering why the user wasn't given the ability to invoke the feature.

I agree that would have been a somewhat useful feature.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    bb_geezer likes this.
    01-20-19 04:26 PM
    You have got to be kidding me. Really?

Talk about using a sledgehammer to do something that only needs a screwdriver.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. I am not saying this is what I do. I'm saying seeing as though the ability to close all apps does exist (via a PC software), I was wondering if it can be done locally.

So, just tapping that little "x" on the bottom right corner of each active frame of each of the eight app (takes, maybe, less than 10 seconds to do) is harder to do than hooking up to a PC and running an autoloader?
    Again, no it's not harder obviously! I'm surprised you have misinterpreted my question in such a way that you think this is what I would prefer to do.
    01-20-19 04:26 PM
    I think there is a "close all" ability with Android. I think he's wondering why there wasn't something similar with BB10. I don't think he actually uses the auto loader and cable to do it, but used that as an example of a scenario when the phone can do it, and therefore wondering why the user wasn't given the ability to invoke the feature.

Precisely. Thanks for understanding my point!
    01-20-19 04:29 PM
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. I am not saying this is what I do. I'm saying seeing as though the ability to close all apps does exist (via a PC software), I was wondering if it can be done locally.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    How does one go from needing to run 8 apps simultaneously to wanting to run 0 apps?

It's different from Android in the sense that on Android, they aren't really running. Their services may be running, but the apps themselves are paused.
    01-20-19 04:31 PM
    How does one go from needing to run 8 apps simultaneously to wanting to run 0 apps?

It's different from Android in the sense that on Android, they aren't really running. Their services may be running, but the apps themselves are paused.
    You mentioned 8 apps, not me. Sometimes I have 2/3 apps open which I wanna close.
    01-20-19 04:33 PM
    You mentioned 8 apps, not me.
    Well, if it's only 2 or 3 apps, then there would be no need for a "clear all".
    01-20-19 04:34 PM
    So now it's about thresholds? Okay, 3/4 apps? 4/5 apps?

Besides, who's saying there's a "need"? The point is that such a feature can come in handy at times.
    01-20-19 04:37 PM
    Precisely. Thanks for understanding my point!
    I guess I got hung up on why the need to close them all, however many were open, all at once.

I rarely had (I don't use my Z10 anymore) more than 2 running at once, and usually when I swiped up out of an app, I immediately hit the "x". I almost never needed more than one app running. Once I was done with an app, I'm totally done.

As to the difference with Android... well, BB10 didn't really want to be the same. They wanted to do things differently. Besides, did android always have a " close all"? I don't know.
    01-20-19 04:40 PM
    So now it's about thresholds? Okay, 3/4 apps? 4/5 apps?

Besides, who's saying there's a "need"? The point is that such a feature can come in handy at times.
    OK, whatever.

As I said, there is no ability to do this, nor will there ever be.
    01-20-19 04:41 PM
    As to the difference with Android... well, BB10 didn't really want to be the same.
    Good, because I've never been a fan of Android. Neither am I a fan of BB10 actually (it's decent, but not great). Rather it's their PKB and toolbelt which shines for me.

None of the OS's out there today are good enough in my opinion. But that's an entirely different conversation.
    01-20-19 04:43 PM
    How does one go from needing to run 8 apps simultaneously to wanting to run 0 apps?.....
    Tangential question, how do you "reply with quote" to two different posts at same time?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    01-20-19 04:49 PM
    Tangential question, how do you "reply with quote" to two different posts at same time?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Use Tapatalk or the Android CB Forums app.
    01-20-19 04:51 PM
    As I said, there is no ability to do this
    From a technical standpoint, the ability exists, as I have already demonstrated. It just never came into fruition.

nor will there ever be.
    Great insight there about a dying platform.
    01-20-19 04:58 PM
    Because you have no need for it?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-19 07:21 PM
    Because you have no need for it?

Posted via CB10
    No, because it's no slower to make 2 or 3 quick swipes than to find and tap a "clear all" button.

I still go back to the difference between BB10 active frames - which have running apps, and Android recents - which have paused apps.

I'm just trying to imagine the workflow that requires large numbers of real-time simultaneously running apps, followed by the desire to shut ALL of them down immediately. In all my years on BB10, I've never done this once. Whereas on Android, I clear the recents screen often.

Nor have I seen a prior request for this feature in 6 years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    01-20-19 07:22 PM
    Yea I think you could with a script and leave frame or close window if either of those can be assosiated with a name of an active frame.
    http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/black...obile-platform
    Doesnt exactly describe what I meant but I think it alludes to possibilities that were abandoned. qnx object and Blackberry user agent are available in elevated contexts, idk if workers can immediately but maybe if they were run from a web view where you know the qnx object is available or the apps had a protocol handler.If it can open 6-8 tabs at once, well...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 01-20-19 at 07:49 PM.
    01-20-19 07:37 PM
    ...just trying to imagine the workflow that requires large numbers of real-time simultaneously running apps, followed by the desire to shut ALL of them down immediately. In all my years on BB10, I've never done this once. Whereas on Android, I clear the recents screen often...
    For me, whether or not an app is paused with Android or simply out of focus but still running with BB10, it doesn't make a difference for this sort of hypothetical scenario. For both, I could imagine having a handful of apps paused/inOrOutFocus and then swapping between them back and forth in order to do something (eg: refer to details of an email, check schedule availability in a calendar, look at flight options in a web browser, check directions/distance/time in maps, look up some reference info in a doc/report.....) and then once the issue has been dealt with and handled, enjoying the ability to close everything down at once before moving on to something else. I can't imagine needing a large number of apps open/paused at the same time for something, but I can imagine needing a handful.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    01-21-19 06:48 AM
    For me, whether or not an app is paused with Android or simply out of focus but still running with BB10, it doesn't make a difference for this sort of hypothetical scenario. For both, I could imagine having a handful of apps paused/inOrOutFocus and then swapping between them back and forth in order to do something (eg: refer to details of an email, check schedule availability in a calendar, look at flight options in a web browser, check directions/distance/time in maps, look up some reference info in a doc/report.....) and then once the issue has been dealt with and handled, enjoying the ability to close everything down at once before moving on to something else. I can't imagine needing a large number of apps open/paused at the same time for something, but I can imagine needing a handful.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    That basic scenario, I have done myself... run 2, maybe 3 apps to do just that. Check something out while writing an email, or a note to myself.

Fine. When done, as I swipe up out of the last app I used, then it's just another quick tap on the "x" , "x" and "x". All in about a second to tap all three... done.

Why then go run to a PC (and if I'm out of the house or office... not really possible), plug the phone cable in, go find an autoloader, and start it up, shutting down the aforementioned three apps, then unplug before the actual loading starts...

All just for some satisfaction that you were able to close all those pesky apps at once?

I guess I just don't get why that's even a desirable thing to do.

As far as I know, I don't think iOS has a close all option, either, and those can pile up because, like android, they are paused/asleep too.

We only bring up the 8 apps in BB10 because that's the limit it allows open at once.
    01-21-19 09:43 AM
38 12