Subject says all. Just fed up with the endless battle and the innate stress of trial-and-error that is necessary to stay moderately current. I've stabilised at ~20 apks which is fine (including un-installing later versions which "work" but in a ragged unimproved manner). Only (i) the cachet of BlackBerry, (ii) the twin horrors of Apple and Android, and (iii) the specific beauty of the heft and form factor of my 2013 Z10 keep me on side.
    1. Is there ANY version of BBC Sounds that can be installed on BB10? (Pretty sure not. And not that I mind the web link that works reasonably well.)
    2. Is there ANY version of Garmin Connect that can be installed on BB10?
    3. Ditto Glympse? (I find Glympse Express is not too bad.)
    4. Ditto Uber? Again the web link is fine, but it would be nice to .. .. ..
    Thank you!
    Fergus
    PS How I wish the more sophisticated spec (speed, capacity) of the PP was available in the Z10 case! I can't even hold a PP conveniently.

Posted via CB10
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    10-21-19 05:58 AM
    I have to give you kudos for lasting this long! I wish I didn't have to bail when I did, but it wasn't easy having it as my daily driver and getting everything I wanted done.
    BergerKing likes this.
    10-21-19 07:31 AM
    It's a tough situation all around for BlackBerry 10 users. We love the OS in a lot of ways but the need for certain apps, certain connections and specific needs and wants is limiting in a lot of ways.

BlackBerry 10 was developed for the most part between 2010-2012 and now we are in the home stretch of the decade.

It still does a lot of the basic things quite well but it's getting more and more limited for even that.

They have become call, text, email and very very light surfing devices. Throw in some music streaming or a youtube video and some calendar and that's about it.

I'm as hard core as possible but even if BlackBerry 10 fans want to argue my points, in a yearstime what will we be talking about? Even more limited. If you can dual carry, great but you may have passed the point of no return.

Good luck though!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-19 02:23 PM
    Subject says all. Just fed up with the endless battle and the innate stress of trial-and-error that is necessary to stay moderately current. I've stabilised at ~20 apks which is fine (including un-installing later versions which "work" but in a ragged unimproved manner). Only (i) the cachet of BlackBerry, (ii) the twin horrors of Apple and Android, and (iii) the specific beauty of the heft and form factor of my 2013 Z10 keep me on side.
    1. Is there ANY version of BBC Sounds that can be installed on BB10? (Pretty sure not. And not that I mind the web link that works reasonably well.)
    2. Is there ANY version of Garmin Connect that can be installed on BB10?
    3. Ditto Glympse? (I find Glympse Express is not too bad.)
    4. Ditto Uber? Again the web link is fine, but it would be nice to .. .. ..
    Thank you!
    Fergus
    PS How I wish the more sophisticated spec (speed, capacity) of the PP was available in the Z10 case! I can't even hold a PP conveniently.

Posted via CB10
    Even when standing in the same place, eventually the crowd moves past you and you’re forced to remain lonely or break the chains of imaginable oppression. Good luck to you..
    10-21-19 02:25 PM
    I was more productive with my switch from BB10 to Android.... and I'm not sure things aren't even better on iOS now. Very stable and feature rich OS, that is well beyond what it was even a few years ago.

Bottom line there will be a transition, but in the end you'll have to make it sometime. If you need more than what BB10 offers... it's time to move on.
    10-21-19 02:50 PM
    Let it go. Overall, it's a net benefit moving on to a modern phone.
    glwerry likes this.
    10-21-19 03:03 PM
    I don't really care about apps. I have an Droid tablet if I need something specific. As along as I can do text, voice and email on my Passport I'm good. When it stops doing that then I will go to a feature phone and keep my tablet. Although it's android, I don't use goople or play store. Just apkpure or apkmirror, etc. Still, very few apps

Posted via CB10
    10-22-19 12:30 AM
    I don't really care about apps. I have an Droid tablet if I need something specific. As along as I can do text, voice and email on my Passport I'm good. When it stops doing that then I will go to a feature phone and keep my tablet. Although it's android, I don't use goople or play store. Just apkpure or apkmirror, etc. Still, very few apps

Posted via CB10
    If you’re on Android Tablet what’s the advantage of using different App Store than Google Play Store itself?
    10-22-19 08:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    So in your experience with using BB10 to... can you help the OP with his app needs?
    10-22-19 08:37 AM
    If you’re on Android Tablet what’s the advantage of using different App Store than Google Play Store itself?
    I don't like anything Google or being logged in to Google. I only use a couple of apps anyway. If I can't access something via a website I can usually live without it. Why do I want to be addicted apps that make me stare at a little rectangle all day?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-19 08:45 AM
    So in your experience with using BB10 to... can you help the OP with his app needs?
    The OP is struggling to "stabilize" 20 apps? Apps use a lot of processing power and memory when they gather your data and send it back to the home base, even when they are not opened. Multiply that times 20 on any phone and you find that it will be struggling over resources. . Congrats to the OP though for managing to stay on top of all those apps, spending all that time. While it's a testament to OS10 being able to handle all that, it's funny how apps make you a slave to them.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-19 08:53 AM
    I don't like anything Google or being logged in to Google. I only use a couple of apps anyway. If I can't access something via a website I can usually live without it. Why do I want to be addicted apps that make me stare at a little rectangle all day?

Posted via CB10
    If you’re still using the same downloaded android based app (same apk) then what the difference? You can login and logout from the play store and the “google” once the apps have been downloaded. The real data harvest is the apk you’ve downloaded anyway.
    10-22-19 09:05 AM
    The OP is struggling to "stabilize" 20 apps? Apps use a lot of processing power and memory when they gather your data and send it back to the home base, even when they are not opened. Multiply that times 20 on any phone and you find that it will be struggling over resources. . Congrats to the OP though for managing to stay on top of all those apps, spending all that time. While it's a testament to OS10 being able to handle all that, it's funny how apps make you a slave to them.

Posted via CB10
    Gotcha.....
    10-22-19 09:51 AM
    I use my Z30 for work, the emails and flagged emails punch and zoom function on the hub keeps me in check!

I hate that BBM is dead, but that being said, I found installing What's App, Skype, and KIK, via the real apps without much work around, it's alright mind you the speed isn't the best but gets the job done. Terrible camera though

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    10-22-19 01:19 PM
    I use my Z30 for work, the emails and flagged emails punch and zoom function on the hub keeps me in check!

I hate that BBM is dead, but that being said, I found installing What's App, Skype, and KIK, via the real apps without much work around, it's alright mind you the speed isn't the best but gets the job done. Terrible camera though

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    Thought KIK was dead or is that upcoming?
    10-22-19 03:34 PM
    Thought KIK was dead or is that upcoming?
    He said installing... didn't say he used them.

KIK has new owners that plan to keep it going. But they are making changes, and I doubt the old app will still work on BB10. Brand new app, and Ads.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-22-19 03:58 PM
    Why do I want to be addicted apps that make me stare at a little rectangle all day?
    Because you need to get work done? Because you need medical monitoring apps? Because you have friends, family, or business associates that use other IM apps? Because you need to be on a company EMM? Because you collaborate with team members? Because you don't always have a laptop around? Because you travel and need your rewards/membership apps? Because you need to do banking? Because you're not comfortable with the insecure/outdated BB10 browser? Because you use your phone to pay for things?
    10-22-19 04:23 PM
    Because you need to get work done? Because you need medical monitoring apps? Because you have friends, family, or business associates that use other IM apps? Because you need to be on a company EMM? Because you collaborate with team members? Because you don't always have a laptop around? Because you travel and need your rewards/membership apps? Because you need to do banking? Because you're not comfortable with the insecure/outdated BB10 browser? Because you use your phone to pay for things?
    Yeah but what can you really do with it?
    Love the “I don’t care about apps” comments.
    10-22-19 04:47 PM
    Wow, what will you ever do when the power goes out? Huddle in the corner and whimper? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-22-19 04:49 PM
    Wow, what will you ever do when the power goes out? Huddle in the corner and whimper? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    It has a battery so keep on working?
    10-22-19 04:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Even in a hurricane, my clients expect me to have access with backup redundancies or to leave my area so as to be available for their needs. It’s called a mobile device for a reason. Besides having the ability doesn’t mean you have to use compares to being dead in the water on antiquated technology.
    10-22-19 05:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Since I need to do those things, it's handy to have it all available on a single thingy.

It's on you if you decide to use or abuse technology to your own benefit/detriment.
    TgeekB and eshropshire like this.
    10-22-19 05:03 PM
    I would double carry if I were you. It's a minor inconvenience to get the best of both worlds.

I've been double carrying my KEYone for more than two years and spend 90% of my work time and 70% if my leisure time on the Z10. But I love the hassle-free Android experience on the KEYone for those times when I use it.

The trick to limiting use of Android for me is not to attach my real identity to the phone. My KEYone is assigned to my dead dog on my business account, who has his own email address and Google account (though he doesn't use them often!)

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    10-22-19 07:36 PM
    I would double carry if I were you. It's a minor inconvenience to get the best of both worlds.

I've been double carrying my KEYone for more than two years and spend 90% of my work time and 70% if my leisure time on the Z10. But I love the hassle-free Android experience on the KEYone for those times when I use it.

The trick to limiting use of Android for me is not to attach my real identity to the phone. My KEYone is assigned to my dead dog on my business account, who has his own email address and Google account (though he doesn't use them often!)

Why does your dog have to be dead? That’s pathetic. You could use a make believe live dog. ;-)
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 10-22-19 at 08:04 PM.
    10-22-19 07:52 PM

Google knows where you go to sleep everynight.(and probably where you recharge)..so they can easily cross-match the rest, google isn't just snapping pics for google maps. Unless you sleep in a different place everyday of the year....or maybe hide in subway tunnel that doesn't have cell or wifi.
    10-22-19 10:54 PM
70 123