Keep the trolling and bickering to a non-existent level please.
    10-22-19 11:59 PM
    Google knows where you go to sleep everynight.(and probably where you recharge)..so they can easily cross-match the rest, google isn't just snapping pics for google maps. Unless you sleep in a different place everyday of the year....or maybe hide in subway tunnel that doesn't have cell or wifi.
    I want this device that has unerring location reporting, because every single one I've had is shockingly horrible at it.
    10-23-19 12:02 AM
    Why does your dog have to be dead? That’s pathetic. You could use a make believe live dog. ;-)
    Well, my dog was alive when I created the profile 10 years ago. Now, I enjoy keeping him alive virtually.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    10-23-19 09:00 AM
    Well, my dog was alive when I created the profile 10 years ago. Now, I enjoy keeping him alive virtually.

LOL - Alright I suppose that’s good answer with those details.....
    10-23-19 09:05 AM
    Google knows where you go to sleep everynight.(and probably where you recharge)..so they can easily cross-match the rest, google isn't just snapping pics for google maps. Unless you sleep in a different place everyday of the year....or maybe hide in subway tunnel that doesn't have cell or wifi.
    Absolutely correct. I actually don't use my Android phone within two miles of my house. In fact, I put it in a RF insulating bag. To be clear, my precautions aren't designed to defeat law enforcement, the NSA, or a human researcher looking for me. I just want to frustrate the automated "commercial surveillance" threats by companies like Google. By not tying my real-world ID, home address, etc. To the accounts on my Google phone, and by using encrypted DNS and a VPN, as well as clearing cache/cookies after each browsing session, I can defeat mist if the automated commercial tools used to track me online. It seems to work because the ads I see are random and linked only to my current browsing session.

app_Developer likes this.
    10-23-19 09:11 AM
    I want this device that has unerring location reporting, because every single one I've had is shockingly horrible at it.
    You're the cattle, not the rancher...you don't get access to that information. Nor do you get to see or know what app makers do with the data they get from you while using their apps.....and now operating system (ie android).
    10-23-19 01:14 PM
    Thought KIK was dead or is that upcoming?
    Hey there, yeah I mean I'm on KIK, works clunky on my Z30 filled with bots haha but gets the job done! IG native app doesn't work though. You can download it but won't function. KIK, What's App, Skype, and Spotify work fine. But if you have an android or iOS machine they work so smooth and much better! And yeah KIK is saved by some company

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    10-23-19 01:25 PM
    Yeah KIK works fine I'm using it, it's clunky a bit but way smoother on a Galaxy S phone, even on iPhone 8 KIK lags bad and freezes. Works faster on BlackBerry Z30 than on iPhone 8 except poor front camera on Z30
    Yeah KIK was done for but some company saved it it seems so it's up in running and full of bots

Posted via CB10 on my  Z30
    10-23-19 01:30 PM
    You're the cattle, not the rancher...you don't get access to that information. Nor do you get to see or know what app makers do with the data they get from you while using their apps.....and now operating system (ie android).
    So what you're telling me is app developers purposely are making location reporting so bad that I'm forced to shut off location access to anything that doesn't absolutely need it?
    10-23-19 01:44 PM
    I was more productive with my switch from BB10 to Android.... and I'm not sure things aren't even better on iOS now. Very stable and feature rich OS, that is well beyond what it was even a few years ago.

Bottom line there will be a transition, but in the end you'll have to make it sometime. If you need more than what BB10 offers... it's time to move on.
    A hard realization most of us had to go through. BB10 was/is the superior design, but without current development...I had to jump ship.

I wish there were more choices int he Mobile OS world than just two. BB10 and even Microsoft would have been options, anyway. Oh well, at least there are two to keep the competition fires lit.
    10-25-19 08:35 AM
    So what you're telling me is app developers purposely are making location reporting so bad that I'm forced to shut off location access to anything that doesn't absolutely need it?
    You could read user agreement to and privacy policies and trust developers to keep their promises, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone but the largest publicly traded companies who are regulated and legally responsible to shareholders.

Most app developers I know simply copy and paste to create those documents and don't really think they apply to them. If you ask them what GDPR or the California Privacy law is, you'll just get a blank stare.

10-25-19 08:46 AM
    You could read user agreement to and privacy policies and trust developers to keep their promises, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone but the largest publicly traded companies who are regulated and legally responsible to shareholders.
    Those are the only ones I'm using.

My point is that they're not getting accurate data - Google constantly thinks I'm a half mile away from work, can't figure out the route I've been driving for the entire time I've had a smartphone, and thinks I zig-zag across the city when I drive elsewhere. It's a similar situation for the other apps with location access.
    10-25-19 10:11 AM
    Those are the only ones I'm using.

My point is that they're not getting accurate data - Google constantly thinks I'm a half mile away from work, can't figure out the route I've been driving for the entire time I've had a smartphone, and thinks I zig-zag across the city when I drive elsewhere. It's a similar situation for the other apps with location access.
    That is obviously unreasonable. My KEYone Has been great at GPS, which I turn on and off several times a day. I don't know enough about GPS digital "jitter" but it sounds like either your location has an issue with the global GPS system/Google (which would affect all Android devices) or your phone's GPS is behaving badly.

Do you see the same results in Google Maps and all the other apps?

10-25-19 10:16 AM
    That is obviously unreasonable. My KEYone Has been great at GPS, which I turn on and off several times a day. I don't know enough about GPS digital "jitter" but it sounds like either your location has an issue with the global GPS system/Google (which would affect all Android devices) or your phone's GPS is behaving badly.

Do you see the same results in Google Maps and all the other apps?

It's been like that on all devices. I used to think it was something to do with the Verizon CDMA radio until the units stopped having CDMA access. At the moment Google Earth isn't having a problem with where I am after taking a bit to lock on, but Maps has me 50 yards away with the compass turned 90°. Wunderground thinks I'm in a different city, Dark Sky has the correct city but no address.
    10-25-19 10:30 AM
    It's been like that on all devices. I used to think it was something to do with the Verizon CDMA radio until the units stopped having CDMA access. At the moment Google Earth isn't having a problem with where I am after taking a bit to lock on, but Maps has me 50 yards away with the compass turned 90°. Wunderground thinks I'm in a different city, Dark Sky has the correct city but no address.
    Just to check, you don't have a Tony Stark-style nuclear reactor embedded anywhere in your body that could exert quantum effects on your phone's electronics, do you?

Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    10-25-19 10:52 AM
    I'm close to giving up my iPhone X and Passport SE to iPhone 11 Pro max.
    But thinking I have two phones to use and separate battery when one is dead, why should I..?

I'm going to miss the physical keyboard. Will wait until passport last with me and I have to give up blackberry in my life.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-19 02:39 PM
    I'm close to giving up my iPhone X and Passport SE to iPhone 11 Pro max.
    But thinking I have two phones to use and separate battery when one is dead, why should I..?

I'm going to miss the physical keyboard. Will wait until passport last with me and I have to give up blackberry in my life.

Posted via CB10
    If concern about battery life is an issue... small power bank is a lot cheaper to carry around than a 2nd phone as just a backup.
    10-25-19 03:25 PM
    Just to check, you don't have a Tony Stark-style nuclear reactor embedded anywhere in your body that could exert quantum effects on your phone's electronics, do you?

Haha no, and while I might expect a little interference at home being an apartment dweller it's been going on everywhere, even prior to using Android. BBOS devices didn't suffer from this affliction, however.
    10-25-19 05:43 PM
    I quit carrying around my Keyone at nights and weekends. What a revelation not being tied to useless noise.

Android is great for the apps no question about that, but the constant monitoring and updating was disconcerting and time consuming. I really don't need the apps, and this Q10 does the important stuff.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-19 10:14 AM
    I quit carrying around my Keyone at nights and weekends. What a revelation not being tied to useless noise.

Android is great for the apps no question about that, but the constant monitoring and updating was disconcerting and time consuming. I really don't need the apps, and this Q10 does the important stuff.

Posted via CB10
    Then why didn't you uninstall the apps you didn't want/need?

You can also turn off any unwanted notifications, and let updates happen in the background.
    10-26-19 12:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then why didn't you uninstall the apps you didn't want/need?

You can also turn off any unwanted notifications, and let updates happen in the background.
    Yeah, I never understood this complaint that somehow android is "noisy". Every notification from every app can be turned off. BB10 is technically no different - every app there can ding the phone too if you let it, but, just as in Android, you can turn off what you don't want to hear.

My S9 only notifies me of my two email accounts, my calendar reminders, and ScoreMobile lets me know when LSU and the Saints are about to start their football games - and updates the scores. I also set up the USA Today breaking news notifications.

And, when I was using my Z10, and the USA Today and ScoreMobile notifications worked, I had the exact same notifications. Going to android changed nothing.

For some reason, the USA Today BB10 app quit sending notifications, sometime after the 10.3 update if I recall. ScoreMobile killed their BB10 app back in the summer of 2014, and the android version they replaced it with just didn't work the same way.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-26-19 12:51 PM
    Subject says all. Just fed up with the endless battle and the innate stress of trial-and-error that is necessary to stay moderately current. I've stabilised at ~20 apks which is fine (including un-installing later versions which "work" but in a ragged unimproved manner). Only (i) the cachet of BlackBerry, (ii) the twin horrors of Apple and Android, and (iii) the specific beauty of the heft and form factor of my 2013 Z10 keep me on side.
    1. Is there ANY version of BBC Sounds that can be installed on BB10? (Pretty sure not. And not that I mind the web link that works reasonably well.)
    2. Is there ANY version of Garmin Connect that can be installed on BB10?
    3. Ditto Glympse? (I find Glympse Express is not too bad.)
    4. Ditto Uber? Again the web link is fine, but it would be nice to .. .. ..
    Thank you!
    Fergus
    PS How I wish the more sophisticated spec (speed, capacity) of the PP was available in the Z10 case! I can't even hold a PP conveniently.

Posted via CB10
    Hey fergus,

Out of curiosity, what are these 20 APKs you're using? It's likely that at least some of them can be replaced with native apps, which as you know are more stable and less power-hungry than Android versions.

To answer your questions:

1. I don't know, but I will test.

2. I believe we determined Garmin does work on BB10 yes.

3. Pretty sure this will too.

4. Uber definitely does.

I'll see if I can test and get confirmed versions and link them on the main BB10 Android apps that are known to work thread. Bear with me on timing...it's tough keeping up sometimes.
    10-26-19 02:12 PM
    Yeah, I never understood this complaint that somehow android is "noisy". Every notification from every app can be turned off. BB10 is technically no different - every app there can ding the phone too if you let it, but, just as in Android, you can turn off what you don't want to hear.

My S9 only notifies me of my two email accounts, my calendar reminders, and ScoreMobile lets me know when LSU and the Saints are about to start their football games - and updates the scores. I also set up the USA Today breaking news notifications.

And, when I was using my Z10, and the USA Today and ScoreMobile notifications worked, I had the exact same notifications. Going to android changed nothing.

For some reason, the USA Today BB10 app quit sending notifications, sometime after the 10.3 update if I recall. ScoreMobile killed their BB10 app back in the summer of 2014, and the android version they replaced it with just didn't work the same way.
    The differences between notification controls in Android and in BB10 are dramatic.

Certainly it's important to turn off all the notifications that are pure spam (of which there are far too many, IMO), but it's not hard to turn them off or uninstall the app altogether.

But for notifications I value, but don't want to interrupt my flow, the choices are far more limited. There are really only two controls:

1) Change the priority for the notification. Android offers very limited choices: off, normal and high priority. Those are fine for notifications that always have the same value regardless of context, but in the real world, I want some notifications in some contexts and others in other contexts.

2) Set the phone to Normal, High Priority, or Do Not Disturb.

That's not a lot of flexibility.

On BB10, I have had the following notification profiles set up for years:

Normal
    Phone Only
    Silent
    Home Office Normal
    Home Office Focus
    Driving
    Client Meeting MyBiz
    Client Meeting ClientBiz
    Spouse BBM Only
    Office Normal
    Office Focus
    Internal Meeting

These custom notification profiles, combined with the Hub LED rotating colors for all unread items in the Hub, and silent notifications going directly to the Hub for later review when I decide to see them, offer a much more curated experience than Android's omnipresent notification tray and disappearing notifications.

I understand that many Android users might like the notification tray, and that's absolutely fine, but to say notifications work the same in Android and BB10 is just plain incorrect.

10-26-19 02:15 PM
    The differences between notification controls in Android and in BB10 are dramatic.

Certainly it's important to turn off all the notifications that are pure spam (of which there are far too many, IMO), but it's not hard to turn them off or uninstall the app altogether.

But for notifications I value, but don't want to interrupt my flow, the choices are far more limited. There are really only two controls:

1) Change the priority for the notification. Android offers very limited choices: off, normal and high priority. Those are fine for notifications that always have the same value regardless of context, but in the real world, I want some notifications in some contexts and others in other contexts.

2) Set the phone to Normal, High Priority, or Do Not Disturb.

That's not a lot of flexibility.

On BB10, I have had the following notification profiles set up for years:

Normal
    Phone Only
    Silent
    Home Office Normal
    Home Office Focus
    Driving
    Client Meeting MyBiz
    Client Meeting ClientBiz
    Spouse BBM Only
    Office Normal
    Office Focus
    Internal Meeting

These custom notification profiles, combined with the Hub LED rotating colors for all unread items in the Hub, and silent notifications going directly to the Hub for later review when I decide to see them, offer a much more curated experience than Android's omnipresent notification tray and disappearing notifications.

I understand that many Android users might like the notification tray, and that's absolutely fine, but to say notifications work the same in Android and BB10 is just plain incorrect.

I was responding to the "noise" comment.

I agree that BB10 has greater customization when it comes to notifications. And, yes, profiles are nice. But for me, I only needed 2 on a regular schedule

Normal: just the ones I need to hear that I listed above, and that's throughout the day. I keep the volume relatively low except for texts which I'd like to hear from my pocket.

Do not Disturb (configured close to Bedside Mode on BB10): only phone calls and texts from specific people. And I can schedule it every night to turn on, and go off in the morning. I had to manually turn on Bedside Mode on my Z10. I think there was an app that automated it, but I never got it.

And a third at random times as needed.

Silent: I just tap the sound icon to silent when going into a meeting, and click it back on normal when done.

All I was saying was I had no problem setting up the S9 the same way as the Z10. In that since, they are the same. You can have sounds on or off. The notification tray is a different animal, of course, but, again, you can turn apps off from showing notifications too.

It's not that hard.
    10-26-19 03:17 PM
    Out of curiosity, what are these 20 APKs you're using? It's likely that at least some of them can be replaced with native apps, which as you know are more stable and less power-hungry than Android versions.
    They are
    Logitech Alert 4.4 (doggy cam)
    Amazon Kindle 7.8.1.5 (ancient - nothing later works)
    Audible 2.36
    BBC iPlayer 4.75.2.2
    ditto Radio2.15.7 just stopped working at all with a redirection to Sounds
    Classic FM 4.10.14
    CNN 2.8 (2.92 is horrible and 5.0.1 is even worse)
    XE Currency 4.0.2
    Firefox 48 (apparently 60+ works - not my experience)
    FTP server 1.25 (aka swiFTP)
    Ghost Commander 1.57 - couldn't live without it as an app mamanger
    Glympse 3.33 (loads but i can't work it and maps don't work at all - from HERE I think?)
    Glympse Express 1.03 (kind of works)
    GPX Viewer 1.31.5
    Google Maps 9.64.1
    Netflix 3.16.3 (works really well. Without this I def WOULD ditch BB10)
    Radipplayer 3.10.306.10
    Ride with GPS 1.6.8
    Skype 7.46.0.596
    Spectator 4.1.0
    Week 3.1.1077
    Three 3.22.2
    Uptodown 3.55
    Volvo On Call 3.1.3 (maps don't work - they are from HERE I think)
    Waterstones 1.1.5
    Waze 4.55
    WhatsApp 2.19.262 (can't upload videos - can anybody, on any version?)
    Wikipedia 2.6.198
    Zoom 4.4
    Crackberry Forums 8.0.36
    RingGo 6.9.1.4
    so that's about 30+.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Fergus
    10-26-19 03:49 PM
70 123