So make one with ads and one paid without. Either way you are getting paid...correct?

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    Yes, of course. Writing and supporting two applications is not going to be any more difficult or time consuming than one. And subjecting some of my users to adds, and what ever tracking nonsense comes along with that. Remember there is no BlackBerry supported add service anymore, so selection and management of an add service would be another task I would have to take on. But the biggest reason is I don't want my users to have to sacrifice their bandwidth to use my applications unless it is to fetch data they are using.

But those are my choices to make. If I put a price on one of my applications you have the choice to buy or not. I'm quite happy with that situation and don't see any compelling reason to change.
    07-13-15 01:05 PM
    Nonsense.

Go to app world and search for Casca Run

There is free version and pro (paid) version which has broader spectre of functionality.

The fact that you do not see free/limited versions does not mean that there are no such versions.

Posted via fantastic BlackBerry Passport. Damn, this thing is so awesome, that I am short of words to describe it's awesomenes. Like Majestic As...
    07-13-15 01:11 PM
    I think kgbbz10 makes a valid point regarding trials. I think most reasonable people would agree that a quality app is worth the small price they usually request, but I don't think it's UNREASONABLE to ask to use the software first to see if it's a good fit for the user.

I've downloaded a couple apps (from Nemory, IIRC) that are fully-functional and free, but then lock down after a trial period. Is there a reason other developers don't utilize this technique, despite all the insistence I see above stating that trials are not possible?

Posted via CB10 on Passport
    I said a trial period is not supported by BlackBerry world. There are many reasons not to do what Nemory did (and that applies to a lot of things other than how he implemented his trial period). Just off the top of my head one potential problem is when a user uninstalls an application, then re-installs it later. BlackBerry world keeps a record (per user BBID) of what each user has paid for. Implementing that kind of functionality would require that the developer maintain the records, re-authorize the application on re-install. That could run into a significant overhead and support problem, especially for an independent developer.
    07-13-15 01:11 PM

I've downloaded a couple apps (from Nemory, IIRC) that are fully-functional and free, but then lock down after a trial period. Is there a reason other developers don't utilize this technique, despite all the insistence I see above stating that trials are not possible?

Posted via CB10 on Passport

Not all developers will know how to do this, an offline App for example could just be re-installed again and again to keep resetting a trial period, all the user needs to do is shut off Shared Files if the dev goes down the route of creating a little check in the file system.
    07-14-15 06:10 AM
    I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bashing anyone, I was simply giving my opinion as a customer.
    Granted I don't know all the inner workings of the BlackBerry development, all I can base my knowledge on is what I've seen from the different apps that I've used. I also understand people want/need to get paid for their apps, and they should, but those developers that are limited in their knowledge with BlackBerry development isn't a concern that the customer is going to have. It's also not the customers responsibility to have any understanding of the struggles developers have.

If I made an app and it wasn't up to par, due to BlackBerry restrictions or my own limited understanding of BlackBerry app development then that is on me to make it profitable. Getting mad at people who challenge the status quo isn't going to make me a popular developer within the community. And continuing on with the status quo isn't going to make BlackBerry world popular. It's been how many years now and it seems like the entire app store is moving backwards. I can't tell you how many times I read someone complaining about lack of apps or just **** poor apps. Free and paid.

I always check BlackBerry world first to find what I'm looking for and 80% of the time there's nothing there or someone wants $3 bucks for it and it's so freaking limited it wouldn't even be worth $1. And on top of charging to download it they also have in app purchases for more features that you were pretty sure we're already there based on the app description. That right there makes me feel I've been mislead. That right there makes me avoid other apps from that developer.

I want nothing more than for BlackBerry world to strive, but it's plain as day that it isn't.

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    07-14-15 12:55 PM
    Dude, did you just wake up and realize the world isn't as it seemed? Lol.
    We all know that BlackBerry World is limited and that's why they gave us Amazon and the ability to load Android apps. We all knew this going in but thanks for telling us you just realized it now.
    I do hope that BlackBerry has a plan to spire growth in their BlackBerry World but not sure how they are going to do that. Another option is they start integrating more options and features into the OS to make up for it. They could also just start up a BlackBerry Branded Developer department and develop apps that are sorely needed.
    Anyway, hoping for the best and Good Luck!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 10:28 PM
    This is one of the things that deters people from blackberry.
    Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Eh no, people's view of BlackBerry has taken a nasty turn. "Ew why do you have a ****ty BlackBerry? "

The only reason people are taking this view on BlackBerry is they simply aren't making themselves known to the general public. Just business sector is what their focusing on, and chances are they won't look at BlackBerry differently - they still see it as pre-bb10.

Should BlackBerry start doing even a little on TV the majority will know that BlackBerry is truly coming up with innovative devices that are fresh and original to what we have in the market. This all takes time and BlackBerry has drastically changes for the better

Posted via Z30
    07-17-15 02:03 AM
    You don't have the foggiest how little devs are paid for ads, it took me close to 6 months to make the minimum amount from 3 Apps on another platform with ad requests in the tens of thousands a day.

To put it into perspective,
    On 2015-07-12:
    82,560 Ad Requests,
    22,018 Served Ads (Ads that actually showed on the App, permissions not accepted internet / location issues all effect it)
    That made $0.61

Now that was the highest I've had in the past week, the second highest was $0.45, the rest in the low $0.20's

Now, the payment threshold is $100 which the company takes a 30% share, add currency conversion to the equation = a stupidly long wait for less money than it would cost to fill your fridge up for the week.
    Is that better than charging $0.99 for the app and getting a purchase per day without ads? By those request numbers, it's gotta be in the thousands of users. Or its a gamble to know ahead of time because there'd be a lot less users if it was $0.99? Or you don't know how little the take home is after everyone takes their cut?
    07-17-15 02:13 AM
    Nothing wrong with a 7 day trial, except that it isn't an option in BlackBerry World. It used to be, developers ask that it be kept, have asked that it be returned but it hasn't. I don't expect that we will see it again for many years because the focus is now on enterprise.

The best I can come up with is software that is subscription based. Would you be prepared to pay on a continuous basis just to get the first subscription period for free?

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    I smell synergy with that company they acquired that has doc control.
    07-17-15 02:22 AM
    I smell synergy with that company they acquired that has doc control.
    Well that's hard to believe since the trial disappeared before BB10 was released and that acquisition was a few weeks ago.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    07-17-15 03:39 AM
    You do have options of running any android apps including all the ad supported ones you want. If you need Google play services for an app and it doesn't work on Android runtime, you would be out of luck anyways because that dev can't make that app for BB World(without lots and lots of work).
    07-17-15 07:29 AM
36 12