If blackberry is pairing with Google for any reason...then they should offer Google apps also....blackberry wld need to be a competitor. Also, blackberry world...why do u have to pay for apps...we have/are paying enough for the equipent/phone why "have to" pay for apps. When I had an android no paying necessary for the needed apps. This is one of the things that deters people from blackberry. I've just recent resumed to blackberry and they haven't really adjusted to the times. Just so u know...not only business professionals appreciate owning a blackberry. Just mature adults however, with this economy we can't all afford all the extras. When with androids nvr needed to pay for apps.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 09:39 PM
    And here goes "another one of those threads"

 Classic
    07-10-15 09:51 PM
    If blackberry is pairing with Google for any reason...then they should offer Google apps also....blackberry wld need to be a competitor. Also, blackberry world...why do u have to pay for apps...we have/are paying enough for the equipent/phone why "have to" pay for apps. When I had an android no paying necessary for the needed apps. This is one of the things that deters people from blackberry. I've just recent resumed to blackberry and they haven't really adjusted to the times. Just so u know...not only business professionals appreciate owning a blackberry. Just mature adults however, with this economy we can't all afford all the extras. When with androids nvr needed to pay for apps.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    No. Just no. Bb10 is more capable out of the box than Android or iOS.

You do know there's a reason those apps are free, right? And BlackBerry wants to be known as good battery, greater security?

You also know Apple people pay way more on average than BlackBerry and Android?

If I'm going to use an app a lot, I don�t mind paying and avoiding ads and sharing my information. If I'm going to use an app once or twice, I don�t mind looking at ads for free app. But I don�t want them getting my information.

You get quality apps when its worth it for the developers.

It would have been nice if you gave examples of what apps you mean, as well.

Posted via CB10
    Hazo and ExplicitPromo like this.
    07-10-15 09:55 PM
    Don't cross post please.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by zocster; 07-11-15 at 02:37 AM.
    zocster and Genghis2k3 like this.
    07-11-15 01:24 AM
    why do u have to pay for apps...we have/are paying enough for the equipent/phone why "have to" pay for apps
    You do realize that the apps are not growing on your device like fruits in a tree, do you?

There were some people that put a lot of WORK into those apps, and some of them want to be PAID for it.

Where do you get your money from, your mum & dad? Do you understand the concept of earning a living through work?

Just stop complaining and get a job - you'll have all the $20 you need to pay for all the apps you want
    07-11-15 01:50 AM
    Ok merged duplicate threads.

Sent from my Tab S
    07-11-15 02:37 AM
    For me I don't mind to have to pay for apps as long as it's good quality

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 07:06 AM
    Apps are incredibly cheap for their value.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 07:31 AM
    I just pay for a app if I want it or need it, and if it's not to my satisfaction I un install it. It's cheap enough. I do understand that someone spend their time to develop the apps and need to be paid for it, it's kinda like going to the shop..... just saying.

Posted with my Amazing  Passport
    07-11-15 07:40 AM
    Yes bb10 is more capable out the box and eliminates the need for many apps. Granted many built for BlackBerry apps are great and are in high demand.
    But why do they all have to be paid for? Why do none of them offer trials or limited free versions? Why must we pay up front for something that we don't know if we will like, or if it works, or if it's even a good app?

Most of the built for BlackBerry apps are work arounds, they aren't integrated into the system directly, like the ones that need to open using share or open in. This isn't something that is helping the app store grow. BlackBerry needs to allow full os integration for developers, or what's the point of making dedicated apps.

I've been extremely disappointed when purchasing apps from BlackBerry world. Most are cheap workarounds that aren't fully explained before using. So when you think you're getting the features you want you quickly realize using it isn't even worth it.

Why doesn't BlackBerry offer an ad service of their own so developers can get paid that way? Why do you think android has so many free apps, because they still make money and they can integrate the apps into the os.

Saying we should have to pay for an app because that developer made it for BlackBerry isn't going to save BlackBerry world. It's only going to drive people away from it, both customers and developers.

I was on the whole support every app built for BlackBerry 2 years ago when I got the Z10, then nothing changed. More cheap apps that don't do what they promised because they can't fully do what they want due to BlackBerry development restrictions.

Oh and all the social media apps built for BlackBerry that require you to pay just so you can have an app that connects to a free service is not right. Especially when you can't even test it first to see if it adds any value to the already free apps that connect you to the free service...for free.

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    07-11-15 12:44 PM
    You can't blame blackberry because people like Instagram and Facebook don't develop an app for the QNX architecture. We are a small group us blackberrians and they refuse to put time and energy catering for a small group like ourselves.

Those apps we have to pay for to use these services are coded by independent developers and they should be paid for their efforts as they are the only ones making an effort for us in this department. BlackBerry themselves have brought us the native fb app in bbworld, most likely because they knew their phones wouldn't sell without it.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    ExplicitPromo likes this.
    07-11-15 01:24 PM
    With the ability to download all those free social media apps for android, besides snapchat, there is no real point to buying a third party one for BlackBerry. And Casper for snapchat is free and it actually works. Can't say the same for some of the others. Instagram android app works perfectly, so why buy these other ones? See where I'm going with this? The only reason to buy them is to support those few who develop for BlackBerry, and one of those developers is leaving BlackBerry...now do you see a problem?

If they offered trials or limited free versions more ppl would try them. I'm not the only one who likes to try before I buy, that's why pirating has become so popular. It's not all about theft, some ppl just don't like to waste money they'll never get back for a program that either doesn't work or they don't like. That's why trial versions are important in the world of programs.

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    07-11-15 02:22 PM
    Yes bb10 is more capable out the box and eliminates the need for many apps. Granted many built for BlackBerry apps are great and are in high demand.
    But why do they all have to be paid for? Why do none of them offer trials or limited free versions? Why must we pay up front for something that we don't know if we will like, or if it works, or if it's even a good app?
    There is no support for free trial in BlackBerry World.

Most of the built for BlackBerry apps are work arounds, they aren't integrated into the system directly, like the ones that need to open using share or open in. This isn't something that is helping the app store grow. BlackBerry needs to allow full os integration for developers, or what's the point of making dedicated apps.
    Sharing, open-in and the use of cards is one of the ways that BlackBerry 10 provides for integration. Not just between applications and the OS, but between applications from different vendors. It isn't used very much, or very well. That could be becuse there is very little financial incentive for professional programmers, who have the knowledge and experience to learn how to use these features, to go through the learning curve. However once you do learn how to use these featues you get some really amazing and seamless cross application capabilities.

I've been extremely disappointed when purchasing apps from BlackBerry world. Most are cheap workarounds that aren't fully explained before using. So when you think you're getting the features you want you quickly realize using it isn't even worth it.
    Caveat emptor. This statement accurately describes the majority of my experience on iOS and Android as well.

Why doesn't BlackBerry offer an ad service of their own so developers can get paid that way? Why do you think android has so many free apps, because they still make money and they can integrate the apps into the os.
    They did. It wasn't used enough to justify keeping it. It also put them in a position that was too close to what Google does

Saying we should have to pay for an app because that developer made it for BlackBerry isn't going to save BlackBerry world. It's only going to drive people away from it, both customers and developers.
    I don't know who is saying that. If an application is worth the sales cost to you, buy it. If not, keep quite and move on. I actually see more people complaining about over priced apps than suggesting people buy it to support BlackBerry vendors. I see a lot of people say they buy applications to support BlackBerry vendors. But if you are paying more for an app than you believe it to be worth, or you are buying an app you have no use for you are not doing any good for the BlackBerry application echo system. You are just encouraging bad developers to clutter up BlackBerry World. Then a developer with a good idea sees there are already a dozen applications that do what hers will, and they go off to do something else.

I was on the whole support every app built for BlackBerry 2 years ago when I got the Z10, then nothing changed. More cheap apps that don't do what they promised because they can't fully do what they want due to BlackBerry development restrictions.
    See above.
    Oh and all the social media apps built for BlackBerry that require you to pay just so you can have an app that connects to a free service is not right. Especially when you can't even test it first to see if it adds any value to the already free apps that connect you to the free service...for free.

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    Already covered I think. Vendors have no way to offer a free trial. If the app is a value to you at the purchase price buy it, if not, move along.
    Last edited by Richard Buckley; 07-12-15 at 07:52 AM.
    BCITMike and ExplicitPromo like this.
    07-11-15 03:05 PM
    Already covered I think. Vendors have no way to offer a free trial. If the app is a value to you at the purchase price buy it, if not, move along.[/QUOTE]

I'm supposed to know it's of value to me if I can't test it first? Give them money in hopes that it works and adds value is what you mean.

Limited free apps with in app purchasing. Limited time apps that expire if you don't purchase. Free with option to support with donation button. Free with ads with option to purchase no ads. Those are all options available to vendors.

Apps that just require money up front have several disadvantages. The most important one to a small and limited app environment is most people will never try it. The app will not get the attention it deserves, it will not be used by enough people to help it grow and it will fail.

Plus you are relying on a single person usually to update said app. And in some cases it doesn't happen. The developer abandons it and you are left with an app that doesn't work and out however much you paid for it. That developer has no incentive to support an app that nobody uses, again because they didn't want to pay up front.

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    07-11-15 04:31 PM
    Already covered I think. Vendors have no way to offer a free trial. If the app is a value to you at the purchase price buy it, if not, move along.

I'm supposed to know it's of value to me if I can't test it first? Give them money in hopes that it works and adds value is what you mean.

Limited free apps with in app purchasing. Limited time apps that expire if you don't purchase. Free with option to support with donation button. Free with ads with option to purchase no ads. Those are all options available to vendors.

Apps that just require money up front have several disadvantages. The most important one to a small and limited app environment is most people will never try it. The app will not get the attention it deserves, it will not be used by enough people to help it grow and it will fail.

Plus you are relying on a single person usually to update said app. And in some cases it doesn't happen. The developer abandons it and you are left with an app that doesn't work and out however much you paid for it. That developer has no incentive to support an app that nobody uses, again because they didn't want to pay up front.

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    Well what are vendors supposed to do? Free trials are not supported in BlackBerry World, as I said. Give it away free and hope people will pay them a reasonable amount for their work?

There are a lot of things in life you have to buy on speculation, other customers or trade reviews. It I is really bad, and costs a lot of money you can often return it or ask for a refund. How is this different?

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.798 SR 10.3.2.516
    paulwallace1234 likes this.
    07-12-15 07:46 AM
    You do realize that the apps are not growing on your device like fruits in a tree, do you?

There were some people that put a lot of WORK into those apps, and some of them want to be PAID for it.

Where do you get your money from, your mum & dad? Do you understand the concept of earning a living through work?

Just stop complaining and get a job - you'll have all the $20 you need to pay for all the apps you want

Thank you, nice to see someone with sense.
    As you said, we do put a lot of work into Apps, people seem to think it's a walk in the park, it's bloody not, the hours of looking through docs, actually writing it, debugging, designing graphics, the list goes on.
    07-12-15 03:36 PM
    This entitlement attitude is really getting bad. What make anyone think they're owed the fruits of someone else's labor and time. My gosh, I've got some great productive, creative, useful, necessary and fun apps, majority of which were less than a cup of coffee, some the cost of an expresso and many free. I consider that a deal in anyone's book and am thankful for the devs keeping the prices that low. I consider it only just and fair to pay someone for the work they do.

Hey OP, how about mowing my yard for free, I'm entitled.
    07-12-15 08:43 PM
    All true but I must agree on one point, there should be trials. I've been sadly disappointed with in the first two minutes of purchasing the app and wished I could get it back. That's just an example but sometimes it takes longer and a return method wouldn't do the job. What's wrong with a 7 day trial?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 09:35 PM
    All true but I must agree on one point, there should be trials. I've been sadly disappointed with in the first two minutes of purchasing the app and wished I could get it back. That's just an example but sometimes it takes longer and a return method wouldn't do the job. What's wrong with a 7 day trial?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing wrong with a 7 day trial, except that it isn't an option in BlackBerry World. It used to be, developers ask that it be kept, have asked that it be returned but it hasn't. I don't expect that we will see it again for many years because the focus is now on enterprise.

The best I can come up with is software that is subscription based. Would you be prepared to pay on a continuous basis just to get the first subscription period for free?

07-13-15 04:20 AM
    Just get an Android, and your problem is solved. Why bother crying out loud here?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 05:11 AM
    Just get an Android, and your problem is solved. Why bother crying out loud here?

Posted via CB10
    You would think the app gap is a new discovery lol

Q10 - 10.3.2.2339/SR .2226  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    07-13-15 05:54 AM
    Well what are vendors supposed to do? Free trials are not supported in BlackBerry World, as I said. Give it away free and hope people will pay them a reasonable amount for their work?

There are a lot of things in life you have to buy on speculation, other customers or trade reviews. It I is really bad, and costs a lot of money you can often return it or ask for a refund. How is this different?

So make one with ads and one paid without. Either way you are getting paid...correct?

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    07-13-15 10:53 AM
    This entitlement attitude is really getting bad. What make anyone think they're owed the fruits of someone else's labor and time. My gosh, I've got some great productive, creative, useful, necessary and fun apps, majority of which were less than a cup of coffee, some the cost of an expresso and many free. I consider that a deal in anyone's book and am thankful for the devs keeping the prices that low. I consider it only just and fair to pay someone for the work they do.

Hey OP, how about mowing my yard for free, I'm entitled.
    First off you need to stop watching Fox news. Unless you are new to the world of computing and Internet then you should already realize how this works. I have no problem paying for an app that works, is useful, isn't some cheap hack, is going to be further developed. If I'm just going to give someone a dollar then I'll give it to one of the hundreds of panhandlers that hit me up each day.

You want a successful app environment then you have to make it worth everyone's time, and most customers don't just hand over money on the basis that they think it will work because I paid for it. BlackBerry and the developers are hurting themselves not me, since I'll find that free trial or free app somewhere else, and so will many others. It's a bad business model to pay upfront in hopes that it's what it claims to be.

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    07-13-15 11:01 AM
    So make one with ads and one paid without. Either way you are getting paid...correct?

BBCLASSIC10.3.2.2339
    You don't have the foggiest how little devs are paid for ads, it took me close to 6 months to make the minimum amount from 3 Apps on another platform with ad requests in the tens of thousands a day.

To put it into perspective,
    On 2015-07-12:
    82,560 Ad Requests,
    22,018 Served Ads (Ads that actually showed on the App, permissions not accepted internet / location issues all effect it)
    That made $0.61

Now that was the highest I've had in the past week, the second highest was $0.45, the rest in the low $0.20's

Now, the payment threshold is $100 which the company takes a 30% share, add currency conversion to the equation = a stupidly long wait for less money than it would cost to fill your fridge up for the week.
    Last edited by paulwallace1234; 07-13-15 at 11:33 AM.
    ExplicitPromo and BCITMike like this.
    07-13-15 11:18 AM
    I think kgbbz10 makes a valid point regarding trials. I think most reasonable people would agree that a quality app is worth the small price they usually request, but I don't think it's UNREASONABLE to ask to use the software first to see if it's a good fit for the user.

I've downloaded a couple apps (from Nemory, IIRC) that are fully-functional and free, but then lock down after a trial period. Is there a reason other developers don't utilize this technique, despite all the insistence I see above stating that trials are not possible?

Posted via CB10 on Passport
    07-13-15 11:27 AM
36 12