Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    OK, I'm about ready to throw this thing in a lake. :| I apologize for the long post.

My wife is a loyal BB user, has been for a long time. Her current Classic had been working fine but she has a bad habit of not deleting text messages "because I might need to refer to them sometime". It had gotten to the point where opening text threads from certain people would lock up her phone, which I assume is just due to the sheer number of messages.

Anyway, the phone had been nagging her to update the OS for months, so she asked me to update it. Backed it up on Link, even tested the backup by deleting a few things and seeing if a restore brought them back. Then I went thru the update process. Worked fine updating from 10.3.2.858 to the current 10.3.3.1463, but her lockup problem was still there. And worse, she was missing some contacts. She'd get text messages from people she had in her list but it would just show it as a message from an unknown number (or no number at all).

AT&T support suggested a factory reset. OK, fine, I've got good backups, no problem. Unfortunately, I don't have any good backups on 10.3.3.1463, and Link appears to be broken and won't access the phone. So reading on here, I came across Sachesi and think "OK, I can use this to load on the old OS and get her contacts and data restored." Except I can't get Sachesi to run on my Surface because the version of Visual Studio is wrong or something.

Finally today I read about auto loaders and think this could be the answer. Takes forever to get what I need, have to sign up for MEGA which I didn't want to do, but whatever. Finally get the file I need ready to go. I backup the stuff my wife has added this week (with Ultimate Backup, which I bought at some point in this process) and run the autoloader. Everything seems to work, phone reboots, etc. Except it doesn't work. The newer OS is still on the phone, as is the data from the past week. I ran the autoloader twice, and nothing.

I have no clue what to do now.

After reading the answer below ... Why do they bother telling you to back up data before "upgrading" the OS if the new OS makes the backups worthless? "Sorry, honey, but all those contacts on your phone that you don't have anywhere else are just gone and the backups I made were a waste of time" is not an acceptable answer. Anyone have any ideas for pulling data from old backups?
    Last edited by kerensky914; 05-13-18 at 11:17 PM.
    05-13-18 10:41 PM
    You can't go back to 10.3.2 or prior once on 10.3.3 due to BlackBerry Anti-theft.

You're best to run the 10.3.3.3216 autoloader and avoid a restore with Link. Start from scratch.
    05-13-18 11:01 PM
    Unfortunately, there is data in those backups that she needs. From what I've read you can't get the data from the backups without restoring it. You;d think Link itself could at least read the data and write it out to a text file or something.
    05-13-18 11:46 PM
    Unfortunately, there is data in those backups that she needs. From what I've read you can't get the data from the backups without restoring it. You;d think Link itself could at least read the data and write it out to a text file or something.
    Could getting a different used Classic that hasn't been updated and then install compatible OS version using autoloader?
    05-14-18 12:02 AM
    Providing a backdoor to your encrypted backups wouldn't be a good idea though.

Are you sure her data is not synced to a cloud source (as it can be set up to do)? What if she had lost or broken her device instead?
    05-14-18 04:43 AM
    Unfortunately no, the only backups available are the ones I've made. If she had lost or broken it, I would have thought I could restore it from those backups but apparently that's not the case. Early on in this debacle I considered buying her a KeyOne, but I don't see that I would have any more luck getting her data onto it than I am with this phone.

I do have her previous Classic, which was slammed in a car door but is still functional. Maybe I could flash it to the same OS version as her backups (they should both be 10.3.2-ish) and then restore it to that phone. At least then I'd have the data in something accessible and I could start hand-copying it or carving into stone tablets or something.
    05-14-18 09:44 AM
    It so easy to sync contacts with an email account, since 2010 I switched devices many times (Android, BB10, Windows Phone) and each time I just needed to add my email account to have all my contacts back.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-18 05:48 AM