01-25-16 06:59 PM
176 ... 45678
tools
    What Blackberry is doing is selling products that they know is already OBSOLETE
    Tech is obsolete before it hits the stores, manufacturers and developers have longed moved onto the next thing. This supposed class action suit is futile, it wouldn't even make it through pre-trial, there are far too many reasons why it would fail.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-23-16 07:23 AM
    As cited in another thread Bell's trade up program will give you a maximum of $30.00 for the Passport... I remember trading up my Bold for Z10 at Bell for a $100.00 plus a free case.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    01-23-16 07:57 AM
    Slow news day
    ubizmo and Just Me like this.
    01-23-16 08:08 AM
    As cited in another thread Bell's trade up program will give you a maximum of $30.00 for the Passport... I remember trading up my Bold for Z10 at Bell for a $100.00 plus a free case.

Eh, I remember trying to trade in my Galaxy Nexus for a Z10 with Fido, and they offered me $15. Trade-in deals are usually awful.
    01-23-16 08:17 AM
    I have one like that too
    this class action suit starts with you and I my friend
    01-23-16 08:56 AM
    I spent $700 for the Passport, BlackBerry's flagship phone at the time. A year later this phone and the OS that powers it has been abandoned by BlackBerry. This is totally unacceptable and it is time for BlackBerry to be held accountable for deceiving it's customers.
    We will see you in court!

I should have taken Sony to court because they abandoned the superior Betamax format in the 80's in favor of VHS .... NOT!

Technology rapidly evolves...things go obsolete in months...but the Passport is still relevant... BlackBerry is doing what it needs to survive.

Now here's what imo they should do.... create a version of Android that will work on the Passport and Z30 and release that as an option to existing Bb10 users.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 09:18 AM
    This will wind up in front of a federal judge in the lower circuit of New York who will decide exactly who has fulfilled the legal criteria for deceit, fraud, negligence... wach'it JC; superiliousness doesn't play well in NY courtrooms...

I think this one is difficult, but a little more realistic than the Playbook suit. This isn't about broken promises, it's about lies. The gist is that Chen made *knowingly false statements* to cause buyers to purchase BB10 devices during the last year or so and those currently in channel. Right now, his bizarrely careful statements are probably not actionable, but I've talked with enough former BlackBerry employees to have a foundation for my belief that Chen had already taken certain measures to transition to Android while he was presenting BB10 as a platform BlackBerry was 100% committed to for years to come. If people relied on those knowingly false statements to their detriment, it's a problem. That's not changing his mind after he saw sales figures and disappointing us. That's not realizing that BB10 is a bad bet and heading in a different direction for business reasons. That's not realizing that the Playbook needed more RAM and deciding not to update it because of performance concerns. It's selling two years of phones under the false impression that BlackBerry was building a platform when it was, in fact, doing just the opposite -- disassembling efforts to build a platform and transitioning to commodity device building on the Android platform and BlackBerry wouldn't even have a growing platform of its own.

Whether this is fraud or not is probably about finding the right witnesses and testimony. And, I don't really know whether he was lying or not. I've never been in the room myself, you know? But, either way, frankly, I'm shocked that the enthusiast press isn't furious with him. Your job may or may not be to defend your readers, but you have to admit that Chen has made things much more difficult for you than it ever was for Kevin. Would you have taken the gig of editor-in-chief of a BlackBerry site if you knew that soon BlackBerry users would be on the Android platform? You probably would have, but I'm not so sure I would have.

You might say "But, companies plan to make their products obsolete all the time. How is this different?" It's what some would argue is lying. When BlackBerry transitioned from BBOS to BlackBerry 10, they knew the transition was going to be difficult. They initially flirted with continuing to develop BBOS while selling BB10, but when they decided against that, they openly said that BB10 would be the future and BBOS would go to maintenance and security updates. That truth -- no doubt -- cost them a ton of customers because they upgrade path to BB10 was just about the same as the upgrade path to iOS or Android. But, they still did it because (a) it was the right thing to do and (b) it may have been legally required.
    KKrusher likes this.
    01-23-16 11:16 AM
    Sony never promised a rose garden... BlackBerry did !!

I should have taken Sony to court because they abandoned the superior Betamax format in the 80's in favor of VHS .... NOT!

Technology rapidly evolves...things go obsolete in months...but the Passport is still relevant... BlackBerry is doing what it needs to survive.

Now here's what imo they should do.... create a version of Android that will work on the Passport and Z30 and release that as an option to existing Bb10 users.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 11:18 AM
    What astonished me is there is NO action in process under Canadian consumer protection & investment laws if they even exist... this stock listed of the NASDAQ in New York will awaken the FTC soon...

Slow news day
    01-23-16 11:21 AM
    Well I bought my passport a couple of months ago with my eyes wide open and I love it. I know it will serve me well for the foreseeable future.

Rocking the awesome Z30,Q10 and the super awesome passport.
    01-23-16 11:42 AM
    I spent $700 for the Passport, BlackBerry's flagship phone at the time. A year later this phone and the OS that powers it has been abandoned by BlackBerry. This is totally unacceptable and it is time for BlackBerry to be held accountable for deceiving it's customers.
    We will see you in court!

Relax. It's just a stupid phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my BlackBerry Priv
    01-23-16 12:07 PM
    Times have changed and as consumer rights have evolved. Manufacturers offer products & services that should provide what is expected to perform within a certain time frame. In 2016, should we say ''Caveat Emptor'' and sorry Blackberry for taking my money. I am sure you will do better next time. I am mentioning Blackberry but it is also true for Google, Apple and all other manufacturers.
    A company is not responsible when a consumer has ridiculous expectations not based on any information provided by the company. Assuming BlackBerry continues to maintain BB10 in its current state, with bug fixes and security patches as announced, they have MORE than met their obligations for the Passport, Leap, etc. Find a single statement made by BlackBerry that commits to something they have not delivered for BB10, post a link to it here, and we can discuss it on the merits.

For example, BlackBerry said you can install Android Apps from the Amazon App Store. That still works fine, and likely will for a long time. Some Android apps work well, some don't, but that is not BlackBerry's fault. App performance is the responsibility if the app developer.

A lawsuit has to be based on hard facts, not general disappointment or buyer's remorse. I bought the wrong car a couple of years ago. I was very excited about it at the time, but then was bothered by the types and costs of routine maintenance. But, there's nothing really wrong with the car except that I made an emotional instead of a rational decision. But there's no legal remedy for that!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and anon(9169048) like this.
    01-23-16 03:43 PM
    I never dreamed that I would reply to this thread, however on OSnews there is a brief blurb about a Dutch consumer group suing Samsung over Android updates so in some way there might some merit of the OP going to court. From the article:

"The Consumentenbond is demanding that Samsung provides two years of updates for all its Android devices, with the two-year period starting not at the date of market introduction of the device, but at the date of sale. This means that devices introduced one or even more years ago that are still being sold should still get two years' worth of updates starting today."

The full pdf is located at:

http://www.consumentenbond.nl/nieuws...g_to_court.pdf
    01-23-16 04:18 PM
    I never dreamed that I would reply to this thread, however on OSnews there is a brief blurb about a Dutch consumer group suing Samsung over Android updates so in some way there might some merit of the OP going to court. From the article:

"The Consumentenbond is demanding that Samsung provides two years of updates for all its Android devices, with the two-year period starting not at the date of market introduction of the device, but at the date of sale. This means that devices introduced one or even more years ago that are still being sold should still get two years' worth of updates starting today."

So, should this claim succeed, I can buy a dusty old phone from a shop's old stock, maybe a decade or two after the phone was first released, and demand that Samsung provide me with current software.

Yeah, that'll fly. I can't see any problems with that.
    01-23-16 04:42 PM

That is, IMO, a reasonable expectation for consumers to have. And it's one that BlackBerry has always exceeded by a significant margin. There's no reason to think they won't support BB10 phones sold now for two more years with basic updates. That doesn't imply new features, though.

Was Samsung really not updating their phones for two years even though updated versions of Android were available??

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 04:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, Sony have only recently announced that they were ceasing production of Betamax. I know it was still used in TV news stations and broadcast centres around the world but I guess digital has finally caught up to the analog format after 40 years of being on the market:

Betamax is dead, long live VHS | Technology | The Guardian
    01-23-16 04:55 PM
    Actually, Sony have only recently announced that they were ceasing production of Betamax. I know it was still used in TV news stations and broadcast centres around the world but I guess digital has finally caught up to the analog format after 40 years of being on the market:

Betamax is dead, long live VHS | Technology | The Guardian
    No... they abandoned beta max years ago. But they kept producing tapes.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 07:25 PM
    A lawsuit could happen. Two years ago I bought a microsoft mouse( don't ask me why). Sent in the registration card. Six months ago I got a card from Los Angeles federal court letting me know someone had filed a class action suit against microsoft for negligence and I was entitled to up to a $50 credit. Funny I bought the mouse originally for $20

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 10:11 PM
    A lawsuit could happen. Two years ago I bought a microsoft mouse( don't ask me why). Sent in the registration card. Six months ago I got a card from Los Angeles federal court letting me know someone had filed a class action suit against microsoft for negligence and I was entitled to up to a $50 credit. Funny I bought the mouse originally for $20

Posted via CB10
    Sure a lawsuit could happen. Any lawsuit could happen however based on this original post this suit would go nowhere. Entitlement doesn't go far in the courts.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-23-16 10:17 PM
    Ray. I think an enterprising young lawyer could go a long way pursuing a law suit based on bad faith by company selling an item at full price when they knew support would be pulled within a year or two. Especially when they had been doing updates for 10 years plus . I bought my passport 6 months ago for 699 from bberry when it was reduced$100. I never would have purchased if I knew then what I know now about chen stopping bb10 support. How would u feel if u bought windows 10 for $250 and then finding out 3 months later microsoft was pulling out of supporting the software and had known about it for the past year and was still selling their product.?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 10:57 PM
    Ray. I think an enterprising young lawyer could go a long way pursuing a law suit based on bad faith by company selling an item at full price when they knew support would be pulled within a year or two. Especially when they had been doing updates for 10 years plus . I bought my passport 6 months ago for 699 from bberry when it was reduced$100. I never would have purchased if I knew then what I know now about chen stopping bb10 support. How would u feel if u bought windows 10 for $250 and then finding out 3 months later microsoft was pulling out of supporting the software and had known about it for the past year and was still selling their product.?

Posted via CB10
    I don't think so. Class actions require deep pockets law firms. Did you watch "Erin Brockovich"? That involved negligence causing death and millions in payout. In this case, the damages would be limited to the loss of functionality, far less than the price paid for the phone. There is no significant payout at the end for the lawyer to put years and millions in resources at risk for such a low payout.

Where are you getting this 10 years plus support promise? Where has a phone operated for 10 years? The longest cell phone I knew a buddy had that was close to 10 years old, had the phone service discontinued and rendered the phone useless.

Paying for software only is different than paying for hardware and software. You bought the hardware, the software came with a free license to the software. The hardware has 1 year warranty and was advertised as such. In Microsoft case, you bought the software license and they clearly had a support window advertised. Where is this 10 year BB10 support cycle promise that you predicated the purchase of the phone on?

A lot of feelings and far fetched assumptions but no proof/evidence in this thread. A lot of you complaining would get ripped to shreds by a lawyer.
    01-23-16 11:19 PM
    By 10 year, it s means the history of blackberry selling their phones since they started without abandoning their OS. Now suddenly they have, and moving on to android and leaving bb10 customers stranded

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 11:28 PM
    By 10 year, it s means the history of blackberry selling their phones since they started without abandoning their OS. Now suddenly they have, and moving on to android and leaving bb10 customers stranded

Posted via CB10
    Citation, please. Are you referring to pagers? I had a BB5 phone at work, it never got 10 years support. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_OS says it came out in 2009, only 6.5 years ago.

Software Support Life Cycle - Canada

Says BB5 ended support Sept 2013. That's 4 years. BB6 and BB7 ended support in just over 3 years. That's a far cry from 10 years. Did you buy the phone after Sept 2013 where this was advertised prior to Sept 2013 and establishes 3-4 years support, not 10? From that table, it shows sales and support ends together. BB10 has been out for 3 years now. BB10 support can end in the next year and I think a pattern has been established around 3-4 years, not 10.
    01-23-16 11:40 PM
    Mike. I think you are being intentionally obtuse. But I'll try one more time. Customers understand upgrading operating system and moving on to OS 5 to OS 7 to OS 10. There was a history there of the company doing that. Now BlackBerry 10 is going away. That's my point. And This is getting boring.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 11:51 PM
    Mike. I think you are being intentionally obtuse. But I'll try one more time. Customers understand upgrading operating system and moving on to OS 5 to OS 7 to OS 10. There was a history there of the company doing that. Now BlackBerry 10 is going away. That's my point. And This is getting boring.

Posted via CB10
    Am I? I keep asking for proof of your claim and I provide evidence there is no such basis for your claim. OS 5 was not upgradable to OS 7 and OS 7 not upgradeable to BB10. What you just said had nothing to do with your previous claim of 10 years support for an OS.
    01-24-16 12:01 AM
176 ... 45678