I've never seen an explicit "support period guarantee" for any product.

I doubt there is any legal basis for a claim even if they were to refuse to support a product shortly after release. That said, I think it's pretty standard within the industry to expect support for around 18-months to 2 years after a new product is released. I suspect the length of any support period is not legally enforceable, but the reputational damage to any manufacturer who failed to support their products for a reasonable period would be enormous.
    I just got an email from BlackBerry yesterday for the priv guaranteeing 24/7 support for one year. So hopefully that does secure one support for that time period.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 08:18 AM
    I just got an email from BlackBerry yesterday for the priv guaranteeing 24/7 support for one year.
    That's good! And it's nice to see it happening, though I guess it depends what BB consider "support" - does that include updates/upgrades?.

I've not yet seen such a thing myself. Here in the UK, we have very strong consumer protections, but that's generally against defective or unsafe goods - I don't recall ever reading small-print guaranteeing a right to get upgrades/updates for example. I think the period in which you can claim is measured in years... and for the first 6-months (I think) the onus is on the retailer/manufacturer to prove that the product isn't defective (you don't have to prove that it is). But I don't recall ever seeing a formal "we will support and maintain" kind of contract.

Though, as I said, I'm sure reputable manufacturers would support their products anyway for a reasonable period.
    01-22-16 08:34 AM
    Yesterday after reading this thread, I decided to call my lawyer and file a class action lawsuit against IBM cause they haven't provided any updates and support for my typewriter for years!

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and Morty2264 like this.
    01-22-16 08:40 AM
    I really appreciate all those of took the time to write intelligent responses bringing the conversation forward!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    01-22-16 08:47 AM
    OP has a VALID point. A class action suit should be made against Blackberry.

This possible suit would be similar to the one brought against Apple about the iPhone 4s in New York. If you need more info on that class action suit just Google it.

What Blackberry is doing is selling products that they know is already OBSOLETE - there is no disclaimer when buying for example a Passport SE that you are buying a dead product. I think that a judge would probably entertain that kind of motion. The main reason that John Chen is so coy about the direction of the products is exactly what OP is calling for - a class action suit. What about companies that have hundreds or more of these phones presently in service? Also think about thousands of phones that will need to be sent to landfill.

If I was a large corporation - I would be talking to legal services right now.

OP go for it and good luck.
    lift and so crow like this.
    01-22-16 09:21 AM

What Blackberry is doing is selling products that they know is already OBSOLETE - there is no disclaimer when buying for example a Passport SE that you are buying a dead product. I think that a judge would probably entertain that kind of motion.
    There are many people HERE who still believe BB10 is alive and well, so I can hardly imagine a judge ruling otherwise.

BB10 may not enjoy a rich future of new features, but it's hardly being sold without the essentials - technical support and future OS updates (minor they may be). There is no indication BBW will close and the agreement with Amazon remains intact.
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    01-22-16 09:27 AM

This possible suit would be similar to the one brought against Apple about the iPhone 4s in New York. If you need more info on that class action suit just Google it.

What Blackberry is doing is selling products that they know is already OBSOLETE - there is no disclaimer when buying for example a Passport SE that you are buying a dead product. I think that a judge would probably entertain that kind of motion. The main reason that John Chen is so coy about the direction of the products is exactly what OP is calling for - a class action suit. What about companies that have hundreds or more of these phones presently in service? Also think about thousands of phones that will need to be sent to landfill.

Does the device suddenly stop working? Why would they need to go to the landfill. A bit of a hyperbole on your part.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes, Morty2264 and rthonpm like this.
    01-22-16 09:47 AM
    There are many people HERE who still believe BB10 is alive and well, so I can hardly imagine a judge ruling otherwise.

BB10 may not enjoy a rich future of new features, but it's hardly being sold without the essentials - technical support and future OS updates (minor they may be). There is no indication BBW will close and the agreement with Amazon remains intact.
    I appreciate your feedback and comments. The BB10 units being sold now have zero future. The consumer SHOULD be made aware before hand and in writing. If a class action suit would be made, it would force Blackberry to respond to their customers and provide damages that they are entitled. It's not only the cost of the units but also time involved in learning this OS. How many hours are needed to master a BB10? That is also worth money.

If this goes forward - would be interesting what a judge would decide.
    01-22-16 09:51 AM
    I heard an interesting discussion on the radio the other day about declining fitness in our children. A man called in: he had started out 49 years ago as a gym teacher. His comment centered around the radical trimming of the gym equipment that is NO LONGER AVAILABLE for kids to play on / keep fit on.

Why?

LAWSUITS. A school division gets sued for a grievous injury to a child - and the result is that every piece of potentially dangerous equipment eventually goes away.

So, sue away. And then ***** and complain because no business will innovate in the future. Why won't they innovate? They won't innovate because IT'S TO DANGEROUS - because if a product fails someone will drag their carcass through a ruinous court case.

So, yes, you, OP - you are DIRECTLY choking those few people in our society who are still willing to take a risk!
    01-22-16 09:55 AM
    That's not how class actions work...

Usually it goes like this:
    It settles, company assumes no wrongdoing. Lawyers get millions. Customers get coupon for $5 off an accessory or maybe a credit to spend in the app store. The named plaintiffs might get extra money.
    acovey likes this.
    01-22-16 09:56 AM
    Chuckle, I'll bite...

What specifically is your complaint? BB10 phones are currently sold through major carriers with full warranty. The OS has not been EOL'd. You have used your phone for a full year and now you want to sue the company? For what? You're being pretty vague.

Mentioned this to my lawyer wife... she laughed.
    01-22-16 09:58 AM

So many crackberrians suffer from Stockholm syndrome. They'd support this company and Chen no matter what was done to them.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    KKrusher likes this.
    01-22-16 10:05 AM
    I appreciate your feedback and comments. The BB10 units being sold now have zero future. The consumer SHOULD be made aware before hand and in writing. If a class action suit would be made, it would force Blackberry to respond to their customers and provide damages that they are entitled. It's not only the cost of the units but also time involved in learning this OS. How many hours are needed to master a BB10? That is also worth money.

er, this is a joke, right? You want to sue a company for time lost learning how to use their product? You know, the one that has tutorials right on start up of the device? Re-read what you wrote and substitute GM for BlackBerry (after all, they were near bankruptcy and had no future... they should have let everyone know this in writing when they purchased a vehicle).

Second thought... forget it... sue away!!!! My wife takes retainers up front.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-22-16 10:06 AM
    Does the device suddenly stop working? Why would they need to go to the landfill. A bit of a hyperbole on your part.

Posted via CB10
    What I am saying is let's stop polluting this planet with tons of phones. Yes I know that maufacturers don't really care about that aspect. The priority is sell sell sell. Blackberry is presently selling to customers BB10 products that have built in OBSOLESCENCE now. That also means products that will need to be recycled much faster...and some of them will go to landfill.
    01-22-16 10:07 AM
    this tread went from hilarious to ridiculous
    Carl Estes and sonicpix like this.
    01-22-16 10:12 AM
    er, this is a joke, right? You want to sue a company for time lost learning how to use their product? You know, the one that has tutorials right on start up of the device? Re-read what you wrote and substitute GM for BlackBerry (after all, they were near bankruptcy and had no future... they should have let everyone know this in writing when they purchased a vehicle).

Second thought... forget it... sue away!!!! My wife takes retainers up front.
    I would go even further then time spent learning and let's not forget troubleshooting. I would also add the time involved moving to another platform of your choice. That is also part of the equation. Most people will think of this as frivolous and without merit BUT let a judge decide.
    01-22-16 10:19 AM
    I would go even further then time spent learning and let's not forget troubleshooting. I would also add the time involved moving to another platform of your choice. That is also part of the equation. Most people will think of this as frivolous and without merit BUT let a judge decide.
    the correct term is 'frivolous and vexatious'. Good luck with the lawsuit!
    01-22-16 10:22 AM

Have you never heard of Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)? It's the general legal principle in all contracts between buyers and sellers. The exceptions are for written agreements, conventions established by case law, and deceptive practices.

You seem to think that BlackBerry's practices are deceptive, but legally, they are not, so long as those phones' warranties are honored and they continue to run the software they run at the time of purchase. So long as BlackBerry has no hard, undisclosed plans to terminate support (and "letting the market decide" doesn't qualify), there should be no legal recourse for buyers, so long as the warranty is honored and the OS receives basic support for the duration of the warranty.

There is no legal rule that says buyers are entitled to have there product upgraded (or even patched!) after purchase unless there is a written agreement that says so.

Posted via CB10
    rbtg, Carl Estes and Morty2264 like this.
    01-22-16 10:27 AM
    A judge would read it once, and then toss it without a second thought.
    rbtg, JeepBB and Carl Estes like this.
    01-22-16 10:28 AM
    What about my time spent researching phones on the Internet and for wear and tear on my keyboard and mouse?. Also, my online shopping may have given me carpal tunnel. Can I use BlackBerry for that?

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-22-16 10:29 AM
    Chuckle, I'll bite...

What specifically is your complaint? BB10 phones are currently sold through major carriers with full warranty. The OS has not been EOL'd. You have used your phone for a full year and now you want to sue the company? For what? You're being pretty vague.

Mentioned this to my lawyer wife... she laughed.
    My wife laughs at me all the time!... ... but I take your point. I can't see that there's merit in any legal action against BB either.
    anon3969612 likes this.
    01-22-16 10:29 AM
    i guess when you are flat broke and can't afford a $700.00 device you should switch to a basic phone and find a different way to increase your revenue ,not a lawsuit when you can't afford to pay for a legal consultation
    01-22-16 10:35 AM

It's a joke right ? I am typing this from my Z30 and you're telling me that it's absolute and that I should not be able to do this? Must be some kind of miracle that it still works !

Also my mom called me and it still works!

I even visited a few websites! Guess what!

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and Rello like this.
    01-22-16 10:45 AM
    You out of court settlement will be unlimited stickers. Watch what you ask for....
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-22-16 11:06 AM
    And that you to all the comedians for the humour on a not so funny issue...

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    01-22-16 11:23 AM
176 12345 ...