As CEO John Chen has to adhere to the business structure to which he oversees, and the first duty of his is to ensure the maximum profit to the corporation and resultant shareholder expectations.

For all posters crying that Blackberry just needs a flagship device with the best specs in order to turn things around, don't fool yourself as BlackBerry now has less than a 1% share of the smartphone market and most people on the street are convinced that BlackBerry is dead and does not offer new phones.

Since BlackBerry is not increasing it's market share he has no choice but to look at other ways of creating cash flow, simple as that. I dearly love my Z10 and my Passport and BB10 but Chen's responsibility is to try find a way for the corporation to survive.

For me one thing I'm sure of though whatever happens, I will never go Apple.

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.2.2204
    Z800BBOS, rarsen, andy n and 1 others like this.
    06-20-15 08:42 PM
    At the liability of his long term users. When you drop and change your offerings constantly, why invest in the platform if you cannot be sure what you run will be maintained in a few years?

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 09:08 PM
    At the liability of his long term users. When you drop and change your offerings constantly, why invest in the platform if you cannot be sure what you run will be maintained in a few years?

Posted via CB10
    Chen assumed his position after Bb10 was out and available. Blackberry is still BB10 at the moment is it not? Long term users, there are more BB07 users than there are BB10 users to this day are there not? BB10 did not turn people's heads and the churn is ongoing. Don't get me wrong, I love BB10 but the platform has failed as far as the consumer purchaser goes as we see in market share figures. So what is Chen to do, fight to the end and finish with no market share?

06-20-15 09:46 PM
    Fight chen fight! BB10 4eva!

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    06-20-15 10:06 PM
    As CEO John Chen has to adhere to the business structure to which he oversees, and the first duty of his is to ensure the maximum profit to the corporation and resultant shareholder expectations.

For all posters crying that Blackberry just needs a flagship device with the best specs in order to turn things around, don't fool yourself as BlackBerry now has less than a 1% share of the smartphone market and most people on the street are convinced that BlackBerry is dead and does not offer new phones.

Since BlackBerry is not increasing it's market share he has no choice but to look at other ways of creating cash flow, simple as that. I dearly love my Z10 and my Passport and BB10 but Chen's responsibility is to try find a way for the corporation to survive.

We all understand Chen's responsibilities & everything but to be honest that's the stupidest move ever to choose the path so called "Android base BlackBerry device". I'm not saying I have the same qualifications as him but have you ever wondered why more & more people are convinced or the better word will be "think" that BlackBerry is dead? It's because they don't see BlackBerry in news, now this is "as simple as that". I have never ever seen a BlackBerry advertisement in a newspaper forget TV. Whereas I see loads of full page advertisement about of Android & Apple devices. People know what a Google Nexus is, but people still don't know about BlackBerry Q5/Q10. How are they supposed to know if BlackBerry won't advertise it? I feel it's stupid thinking by John Chen and co

Posted via CB, using a Q5
    06-21-15 01:34 PM
    All respect to chen for his hard work and for making BlackBerry stands where it is today, i.e from loss to a bit profit making Co. But getting Android into BlackBerry... I really don't find it that good or an idea which can save BlackBerry or turn it into top, BB10 is really an Awsome OS, all he need is to advertise it.. here in India not many people know what's bb10 is.

I just feel that's my assumption, he will throw a phone (might be slider or any new high end) in market with Android OS or something like SamBerry OS combination of Android n bb10. It becomes hit he will slowly close down bb10 OS. Just like Nokia did to an OS name Maemo if anyone is familiar with N900.

If BlackBerry close down BB10 for Android I guess they will lose most of their loyal customers.
    06-21-15 01:54 PM
    Yes it would a crime to end BB10 development as I truly enjoy it! But we have to face facts that a CEO has a responsibility to the shareholders to maximize profit and if that means selling 20 million AndroBerrys' a year and the company succeeds then he is doing his job. Has BlackBerry even sold 20 million BB10 devices since it's inception?

I guess we will find out at the Quarter Results meeting how many units sold and if it less than 5 million Chen will have to look at other options hard and fast. BlackBerry fans have to unfortunately face the facts that the competition now has 99% market share and as much we like BB10 there are almost no developers working on apps and as such the competition has an easy out in persuading consumers to not buy Blackberry.

06-21-15 04:30 PM
    He could attach a gold coin, and price them at $1.99, but if NO ONE KNOWS about them, they will not sell. Period. How hard is that to comprehend?
    06-22-15 12:57 PM
    Well I have started telling people around me to hold to their new phone purchases and wait for BlackBerry to launch a Android Phone...most said they will wait and keep an eye on store shelves for such a device...

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 01:44 PM

What is that you don't like in apple phones?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 01:55 PM

Well put !...
    06-22-15 02:09 PM
    What is that you don't like in apple phones?

Posted via CB10
    1 - Home button
    2 - iTunes
    3 - No NFC
    4 - No Miracast
    5 - No HDMI out
    6 - No SD card
    7 - No Hub
    8 - Apple Culture.
    9 - Virtual Keyboard sucks compared to BlackBerry keyboard whether it be virtual or physical.

Last edited by yamahammer; 06-22-15 at 10:03 PM.
    06-22-15 09:28 PM
    1 - Home button
    2 - iTunes
    3 - No NFC
    4 - No Miracast
    5 - No HDMI out
    6 - No SD card
    7 - No Hub
    8 - Apple Culture.
    9 - Virtual Keyboard sucks compared to BlackBerry keyboard whether it be virtual or physical.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 10:13 PM
    what is that you don't like in apple phones?

Posted via cb10
    everything
    miker476 likes this.
    06-22-15 10:29 PM
    He could attach a gold coin, and price them at $1.99, but if NO ONE KNOWS about them, they will not sell. Period. How hard is that to comprehend?
    I think he should try this with the BB10 New Slider, I would buy a couple of hundred.
    06-22-15 10:35 PM