"BlackBerry remains committed to BB10" - said Chen. Oh, yeah! Which translates to: absolutely no new BB10 phones announced or planned, majority of BB10 phones stuck with 4 years old dual-core 1.5 GHz CPUs and plasticy 8 MPix cameras, users of BB10 Full touch phones with no upgrade since late 2013 (as the Leap with its Z10-like hardware could hardly be considered an upgrade for a Z10 or Z30 owner), and even for a minor OS update (10.3.2 -> 10.3.3 rather than 10.4) everyone will need to wait 6 months. Half a year of NOTHING, VACUUM. That's how "committed" to BB10 BlackBerry is.

It is amazing how they could create such a powerful hardware for this Android thing (such a powerful CPU, Schneider-Kreuznach 18 MPix camera with OIS, 1440x2560 display, etc.) while BB10 is stubbornly kept on aged, unattractive hardware - and then they whine about poor BB10 sales.

And they keep whining about lack of applications, whose growth for YEARS they've been PREVENTING themselves, by e.g. not adding to BB10 phones any kinds of useful sensors - barometer, thermometer, pedometer, etc. (so popular on Android or iOS), and failing to deliver APIs developers have been requesting since ever - which could allow for countless useful native apps.

BB10 is dying not because it is a bad OS. It is being murdered alive by BlackBerry themselves.
    09-25-15 10:50 AM
    Let's wait and see what the 10.3.3 update will be like and judge from there.

BlackBerry 10 update cycle is about the industry standard, which happens to be one major update per year (Apple Ios), so you cannot really complain about the frequency of the updates because it is quite often.

However, I do share your complaint about the lack of a new hardware. At least there is the Passport with the good spec.

To BlackBerry 's defense, the old hardware does run the OS quite smoothly. My Q10 is very smooth and fast with the latest update.

Posted via CB10
    mania626 and Asvertus like this.
    09-25-15 11:12 AM
    On the earnings call he basically admitted that the cost of developing BB10 hardware is prohibitive. If he's not willing to develop hardware drivers for BB10 to run on the Slider, I can't come up with a business case for new BB10 devices, at least not until big government and enterprise customers demand an upgrade, but by then Android may be "hardened enough" that BB10 security advantages are negligible... And even then, relatively underpowered or overpriced devices are all that would be produced for that market.

BB10 will get minor fixes (not that it needs a whole lot more functionality IMO, just bug fixes and polish) but without new devices and hardware features to drive new OS functionality... Chen's words on the subject of BB10's "future" are transparent and as empty as the building that used to house the BB10 development team.
    09-25-15 11:18 AM
    BB10 will continue to exist because without it, BlackBerry would be a patent troll as they license their smartphone patents. John Chen has repeatedly said he doesn't want to do this.
    09-25-15 11:24 AM
    Go to the CNBC website and read Chen's recent speech on his commitment to BB10. Note the glaring omission about new devices!!!
    09-25-15 12:26 PM
    BB10 is Windows 8 to BB Android's Windows 10.
    09-25-15 12:33 PM
    Let's wait and see what the 10.3.3 update will be like and judge from there. BlackBerry 10 update cycle is about the industry standard, which happens to be one major update per year (Apple Ios), so you cannot really complain about the frequency of the updates because it is quite often.
    10.3.2 -> 10.3.3 can hardly be considered a "major update". I'd even hesitate to call it a minor one. And even just for that, Chen wants us to wait HALF A YEAR.

If you believe that a version numbering change from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3 (least significant digit) will bring any groundshaking changes then simply remind yourself what kind of changes the 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 update brought you, and expect JUST the same progress, in 6 months from now. During the same period of time, Android will shift to 6 from 5, so quickly after having just shifted from 4.x to 5. That's a true progress, while what Chen does is running in circles.

However, I do share your complaint about the lack of a new hardware. At least there is the Passport with the good spec.
    The Passport has better specs than all the remaining BB10 devices, that's for sure. But already now its hardware slowly gets dated, compared even just to this "Priv" which is at least SEVERAL TIMES more powerful. So it will be even more dated in Q1/Q2 2016 when the 10.3.3 update comes out. And all the Z10's and Z30's will be ANTIQUES by then, yet still without ANY upgrade options...

To BlackBerry 's defense, the old hardware does run the OS quite smoothly. My Q10 is very smooth and fast with the latest update.
    Yes, that's true. But only EXISTING users know and understand it. For any potential new users, such dated specs is often a deal breaker. They won't care about anyone's explanations that the OS is so efficient that it runs fine on such a hardware, they simply won't get it without even bothering to check it. Even just that old and poor 8 MPix camera (worse than 2010's Nokia N8) of nearly all BB10 phones (compared to e.g. the Slider's 18 MPix one with OIS and decent lenses) is a deal breaker for a lot of people, let alone everything else.

On the earnings call he basically admitted that the cost of developing BB10 hardware is prohibitive. If he's not willing to develop hardware drivers for BB10 to run on the Slider, I can't come up with a business case for new BB10 devices
    I'd say this is a POOR EXCUSE of him. Even if it was really too costly to develop QNX drivers for the Slider hardware, what prevents him from releasing Q and Z series devices with the Passport's CPU and its 13 MPix camera? He does have drivers (and everything else) for that. So why not just put it into some Z50 or Q50 and make a few million Zxx and Qxx owners finally rush to stores and shell out their money for such an upgrade?

Apple is rich because they make all their users upgrade YEARLY. BlackBerry is poor because they've been stubbornly refusing to give their Z10 and Z30 users ANY upgrade possibilities ever since 2013. It is seriously sick that I bought my Z10 in Q1 2013 and there's absolutely nothing replacing it not only now in late 2015, but probably also by H2 2016, if ever. And then Chen whines about poor BB10 sales, and blames everything BUT his own stupid decisions for that.

Dear Mr. Chen, give our trusty Z10's and Z30's a successor (a true one, not like the Leap with merely a different housing) and millions of us will buy it before you finish announcing it.
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 09-25-15 at 06:11 PM.
    09-25-15 05:57 PM
    "BlackBerry remains committed to BB10" - said Chen. Oh, yeah! Which translates to: absolutely no new BB10 phones announced or planned, majority of BB10 phones stuck with 4 years old dual-core 1.5 GHz CPUs and plasticy 8 MPix cameras, users of BB10 Full touch phones with no upgrade since late 2013 (as the Leap with its Z10-like hardware could hardly be considered an upgrade for a Z10 or Z30 owner), and even for a minor OS update (10.3.2 -> 10.3.3 rather than 10.4) everyone will need to wait 6 months. Half a year of NOTHING, VACUUM. That's how "committed" to BB10 BlackBerry is.

It is amazing how they could create such a powerful hardware for this Android thing (such a powerful CPU, Schneider-Kreuznach 18 MPix camera with OIS, 1440x2560 display, etc.) while BB10 is stubbornly kept on aged, unattractive hardware - and then they whine about poor BB10 sales.

And they keep whining about lack of applications, whose growth for YEARS they've been PREVENTING themselves, by e.g. not adding to BB10 phones any kinds of useful sensors - barometer, thermometer, pedometer, etc. (so popular on Android or iOS), and failing to deliver APIs developers have been requesting since ever - which could allow for countless useful native apps.

BB10 is dying not because it is a bad OS. It is being murdered alive by BlackBerry themselves.
    I strongly agree is there anyway to chat with john chen or way to present our views to chen

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-25-15 08:02 PM
    I strongly agree is there anyway to chat with john chen or way to present our views to chen

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    You can always write to him on Twitter. @johnchen

Posted via CB10
    Benjamin Black likes this.
    09-25-15 08:19 PM
    I'd like to add just one thing:

Their excuses that developing new hardware for BB10 is too costly due to the need of creating custom QNX drivers for it just doesn't stick.

I mean, we don't necessarily need the latest and greatest. All of us Z10, Z30, Q10, etc. users, who have not received any upgrade possibilities to our dated dual-core 1.5 GHz Kraits for almost 3 years, we all surely would be more than happy with successors to our phones bringing even just the Passport's hardware specs, i.e. its quad-core 2.3 GHz Snapdragon 801, Adreno 330 GPU, 3GB RAM, 13 MPix OIS camera. This would give us a ~3 fold performance increase, anyway. Add to it some nice 1080p display on Full touch models, and it would make us all happy BB10 users for another 2 years and - I'm sure - also make some decent number of new people buy such phones, too.

You don't need new drivers for such a hardware, Mr. Chen. You already have all the drivers (and what else) on the Passport, don't you? So what's left to do? Merely design the housings.

Please let me repeat it: Apple makes more money from making existing users regularly update to new models as they come than from getting new customers. Since 2010 or so, Apple has NEVER exceeded 18-20% marketshare, which in no way prevents them from earning billions. Mostly on EXISTING users.

Think about that, Mr. Chen.
    09-25-15 09:28 PM
    I don't see how committed they are to bb10 considering they are yet to fix their native fb app for the system, that alone is enough to tell you.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2639/SR .2474  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    gjh1978 likes this.
    09-25-15 09:41 PM
    I don't see how committed they are to bb10 considering they are yet to fix their native fb app for the system, that alone is enough to tell you.

Q10 - 10.3.2.2639/SR .2474  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Yeah the fact that they have not only stopped the rapid development of BB10 isn't what worries me, it that they have stopped basic upkeep. Aka twitter & FB app. The maps app is also way overdue an update.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 10:08 PM
    You people are ridiculous, there will be more bb10 devices in the future. Cool your jets

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority and David Tyler like this.
    09-25-15 10:12 PM
    Yeah the fact that they have not only stopped the rapid development of BB10 isn't what worries me, it that they have stopped basic upkeep. Aka twitter & FB app. The maps app is also way overdue an update.

Posted via CB10
    You said it brother!
    Tonight I just learned Snap is being discontinued. maybe not BB's fault, but just another in a series of hints that this platform is a carcass. Just waiting for the vultures to come pick off the meat!
    09-25-15 10:13 PM
    Let's wait and see what the 10.3.3 update will be like and judge from there.

Posted via CB10
    Chen said the update will be focused on privacy & security back end stuff that most of us won't notice like the change from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2

At least there is the Passport with the good spec.

Posted via CB10
    That is true, BB10 doesn't need the massive specs just to run like Android does, however if you use a passport you quickly notice how much those specs have improved it. Also, if you compare a high-end android phone with any Bb10 phone you will quickly see that the Android is faster (not more efficient) programs & windows ect. Just open & close quicker & smoother. BlackBerry Maps for example is almost painfully slow & the once great browser is slowing down as it starts to get behind due to lack of continued development.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 10:17 PM
    Chen said the update will be focused on privacy & security back end stuff that most of us won't notice like the change from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2
    To be fair, what would you REALLY change in the OS? BlackBerry could change the color cues, and icon pictures for the sake of "newness". But I would much rather prefer they work on smoothing out the OS, while maintaining the consistent look.

Right now, the only thing I would want in the update would be a higher Android runtime for the future, but other than that, I think BlackBerry can match other OS function for function.

Many of the native apps, such as contacts, calendar, and password keeper do not need much improvement.

Of course, the Map app like you said could use some polishing, but it is still more than functional as well.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-25-15 11:30 PM
    That is true, BB10 doesn't need the massive specs just to run like Android does, however if you use a passport you quickly notice how much those specs have improved
    Guys, don't let get yourself fooled. BlackBerry has the drivers (and what else) for the Passport, so they could release a device with Passport's hardware in any other form factor. They could release a Z50 with Passport's CPU/GPU and camera, or Q50, or whatever. No need to develop any drivers or anything else, merely design a HOUSING for it and just redesign (not develop from scratch, just change layout) of the PCB to fit in a device of different shape/size. Period.

The Passport's hardware can be some 3-fold faster in most uses than the Z10. Web browsing, UI transitions, 3D games, and many other things. That's a MASSIVE improvement, so such devices would be a worthwhile upgrade. Not just for the OS itself or native apps, but it would make the Android runtime (and Android apps running in it) this much faster and smoother, too.

There is no valid excuse not to release any successors of the Zxx or Qxx phones for so many years, other than that they just don't give a **** about us all and now they expect us all to switch to their Android phone.

The OS itself does not need any serious changes, rather just some continued polishing. It is the hardware that gets more and more aged. Passport owners don't feel it but the 2-3 times slower Z10 or Q10 is now really old.

Besides, whereas like many of you wrote updating the Android runtime would be really useful, it will also need increased performance. The dated 1.5 GHz dual-core Krait from A.D. 2011 or so isn't made of rubber and won't stretch.
    09-25-15 11:43 PM
    You people are ridiculous, there will be more bb10 devices in the future. Cool your jets

Posted via CB10
    Do u own a crystal ball lol everything looks downhill from here coming from a BlackBerry user since the pearl days

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    09-26-15 12:02 AM
    Yeah, sure. I've been hearing it since the day I bough the Z10 in early 2013. As of almost Q4 2015 (nearly 3 years) they still didn't manage to come up with any successor for it, and judging by Chen's complete silence about any new BB10 devices they won't do it anytime soon.

I'm not a turtle, I may not live that long...
    09-26-15 02:11 AM
    I'd say this is a POOR EXCUSE of him. Even if it was really too costly to develop QNX drivers for the Slider hardware, [B]what prevents him from releasing Q and Z series devices with the Passport's CPU and its 13 MPix camera?
    Shareholders who are tired of billion + dollar hardware writedowns.

The earnings call said they sold something like 800 thousand handsets this quarter. They need something like 2.5 million to even break even. Doesn't seem like releasing updated Z and Q phones can get to that. In fact every quarter since something like 2010 they've sold less and less phones.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-26-15 02:22 AM
    Dupe post.
    09-26-15 02:25 AM

The earnings call said they sold something like 800 thousand handsets this quarter. They need something like 2.5 million to even break even. Doesn't seem like releasing updated Z and Q phones can get to that. In fact every quarter since something like 2010 they've sold less and less phones.

There's no point trying to use common sense on this forum anymore. It's getting really hard to find good discussions when 3 out of every 4 new threads is yet more ******** about the same ole things while completely ignoring market realities.
    09-26-15 02:32 AM

Well, to put it in perspective, they sold 800,000 phones where two of their models are basically re-heated 2013 models (the Classic and Leap having almost identical specs to the Q10 and Z10, respectively), the Passport being a nice device, limited retail channel support and almost no marketing.

Given the circumstances, i'd say 800,000 phones is an absolute miracle. Imagine what they could do if they tried!

Posted via CB10
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    09-26-15 02:44 AM
    Given the circumstances, i'd say 800,000 phones is an absolute miracle. Imagine what they could do if they tried!
    They are trying. With an OS that has access to apps and peripherals support. If they can reverse the trend and actually sell MORE phones for once, then maybe things will change.

09-26-15 02:55 AM
    Chen is a slow learner costing BlackBerry big bucks... BB10 OS is a dead horse not worth the lead to be shot again... move on... offer the "secured" android to all recent BlackBerry devices & be done with it...

Bumpkin
    09-26-15 04:25 AM
77 123 ...